What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Pickups - Heading into Week 10 (1 Viewer)

Redraft - would you drop Keenan Allen for someone like George Pickens, Wan'Dale Robinson or Curtis Samuel?

starting to really run out of patience for him to return.

Guess I would look at K’s from teams with defensive HC’s.

not the worst method lol

Kickers are a PITA
Philly has a great K but the offense is so good, they go on 4th and short. I dropped him for Gano this week. I also like K’s in division games, played a little tighter and teams tend to take points whenever possible.

Yeah was trying to figure out who to drop & pickup Gano on his bye but another contender nabbed him. He’s been great just in terms of maximizing his opportunities.

Koo + Arthur Smith are a good combo. Young has a great leg, and his coach is a Debbie Downer who only thinks about all the bad things that might happen. We need more dumb (in game, for all I know he’s whip smart) HCs who think they can win in today’s league 3 points at a time.
Not much is talked about this. Analytics has changed the FGs a lot IMO. It seems like teams are going on 4th down more, before they would take the sure points. Not only do you have to cap the Kickers, you have to cap whether a coach is conservative and settle.
One coach who loves his kickers is the Dallas coach, will push it to 50+ yards.

Guess I would look at K’s from teams with defensive HC’s.

not the worst method lol

Kickers are a PITA
Philly has a great K but the offense is so good, they go on 4th and short. I dropped him for Gano this week. I also like K’s in division games, played a little tighter and teams tend to take points whenever possible.

Yeah was trying to figure out who to drop & pickup Gano on his bye but another contender nabbed him. He’s been great just in terms of maximizing his opportunities.
Santos could be a nice fill in also. Weather doesn’t really bother him either.

Koo + Arthur Smith are a good combo. Young has a great leg, and his coach is a Debbie Downer who only thinks about all the bad things that might happen. We need more dumb (in game, for all I know he’s whip smart) HCs who think they can win in today’s league 3 points at a time.
Not much is talked about this. Analytics has changed the FGs a lot IMO. It seems like teams are going on 4th down more, before they would take the sure points. Not only do you have to cap the Kickers, you have to cap whether a coach is conservative and settle.

Marty Schottenheimer coaching tree

Santos could be a nice fill in also. Weather doesn’t really bother him either.

and a coach with a defensive background. but the multiple missed PATs [(-1) in our format] give me pause.

Yeah, I did NOT want to drop Maher but hate dropping a skill position for PK bye week -- just picked up Gay --he'll do

Used Succop with Maher on bye last week, he did fine (even should have been better but had a 50 yarder blocked), trying to decide whether to just stay with him or pick up Gano or Maher (again).

I want to share IMHO that the best way to get on top of waivers is being a week or two ahead.
Some of the most wanted waiver wire picks I either already had or are on my roster right now.
I liked Fields a couple weeks ago but never dreamed he was going to hit the levels he is right now, lucky
When CMC was traded to SF, not only did I manage to trade for CMC but I kept Wilson and because I watch Miami every week, it just seemed like a natural move for him to end up somewhere else and perhaps with his former OC, check! I kept Wilson as my RB5, looks like he is at least an RB3 on Bye Weeks right now.
I saw Darius Slayton mentioned and I liked him plenty when he first arrived in the NFL and then he sorta faded but he was an add in on the CMC trade, I sent Adams.
I managed to grab Drake off waivers last week

I whiffed on a few as well. I should have had Hopkins in AZ before we even hit Week 1.
Khalil Herbert, I had him and then I didn't, hard to explain.
Jamaal Williams, Isiah Likely, Tyler Boyd

If you can somehow see into the future or become a speculative gold miner, you will hit a few nuggets along the way. And you'll whiff!
Best way to not whiff is to not speculate.

Cheers

Last edited:
I want to share IMHO that the best way to get on top of waivers is being a week or two ahead.
Some of the most wanted waiver wire picks I either already had or are on my roster right now.
I liked Fields a couple weeks ago but never dreamed he was going to hit the levels he is right now, lucky
When CMC was traded to SF, not only did I manage to trade for CMC but I kept Wilson and because I watch Miami every week, it just seemed like a natural move for him to end up somewhere else and perhaps with his former OC, check! I kept Wilson as my RB5, looks like he is at least an RB3 on Bye Weeks right now.
I saw Darius Slayton mentioned and I liked him plenty when he first arrived in the NFL and then he sorta faded but he was an add in on the CMC trade, I sent Adams.

I whiffed on a few as well. I should have had Hopkins in AZ before we even hit Week 1.

If you can somehow see into future or become a speculative gold miner, you will hit a few nuggets along the way. And you'll whiff!

Cheers
That's how I've been doing it all year. Sometimes you hit. Sometimes you miss. But it's the only way to beat the crowd and avoiding overpaying FAAB

What's the consensus on Odell Beckham Junior?

I'm tempted to pick him up but would need to drop either Toney or Gabe Davis. Leaning towards dropping Davis - he's just too boom or bust and those bust weeks will kill you. And now add in Josh Allen's injury not sure he'll see many deep balls. I can't seem to pull the trigger though.

I'm tempted to pick him up but would need to drop either Toney or Gabe Davis. Leaning towards dropping Davis - he's just too boom or bust and those bust weeks will kill you. And now add in Josh Allen's injury not sure he'll see many deep balls. I can't seem to pull the trigger though.
If you feel that way about Gabe, you should put him on the block for a WR straight up, I think you would get some nice offers.

If you can somehow see into the future or become a speculative gold miner, you will hit a few nuggets along the way. And you'll whiff!

Cheers
Good post MOP. I like your honesty. I drafted Fields as my #2 QB and felt great about it. But he was soooo bad the first 4 weeks - so I dropped him. I don’t regret that move. Hindsight is 20/20, but let’s be honest - Fields after 4 weeks was very close to losing his job. I love that he has “found” the value of the run, it’s just odd that it took 21 games for he and his coaches to come to this realization.

I’ve been lousy at Fantasy Football the last 4 years, but I’m not sure that dropping Fields after week 4 was a bad call. I mean - the guy averaged a little over 11 points per week. That’s as stinky as a freshly opened can of tuna fish in a crowded movie theatre.

Cheers
Good post MOP. I like your honesty. I drafted Fields as my #2 QB and felt great about it. But he was soooo bad the first 4 weeks - so I dropped him. I don’t regret that move. Hindsight is 20/20, but let’s be honest - Fields after 4 weeks was very close to losing his job. I love that he has “found” the value of the run, it’s just odd that it took 21 games for he and his coaches to come to this realization.

I’ve been lousy at Fantasy Football the last 4 years, but I’m not sure that dropping Fields after week 4 was a bad call. I mean - the guy averaged a little over 11 points per week. That’s as stinky as a freshly opened can of tuna fish in a crowded movie theatre.
Excellent points and you were right to release him, someone did that in my leagues as well but then I came along after you cut him and grabbed him in about Week 7 as he started to show some life although mostly it was and still is his ability to run the ball. Last week he scored just shy of 50 in most of mine and I would be happy with half that this weekend with burrow on a Bye on many of my teams.

I did the same thing you did but hitched my QB2 to Trevor Lawrence and the results were good. But after 5-6 weeks I started to realize it wasn't going as well as I thought it was. And that's when i started speculating on Fields. I like the Claypool move and should mention I grabbed him off the WW when nobody wanted him just about the time rumors circulated he was going to Green Bay. Certainly the Bears felt like a downgrade but the Fields is wide open and Claypool appears like he is going to see a steady diet of targets and plays..

For every time you hit on someone, you're gonna whiff. A lot of my leagues have a $2 transaction fee attacked on all waiver wire moves and i must dump $100 into that pool during the season, not shy at all about making a move if I think it can help. But i get poked fun at a lot for jumping the gun on players but I think being a week or two ahead is way better than the alternative.

If you feel that way about Gabe, you should put him on the block for a WR straight up, I think you would get some nice offers.
This!
Agree 100%
If you are going to release Davis, you most certainly can trade him OR package him with another you are not sure of and see what you can get in return before you just put him on the WW

@KingPrawn this is a fantastic response by Mass, he is right on the button, trade Gabe Davis and see what you get coming back.

-I'm not that excited about OBJ after this latest injury, he's likely to land on a team that already has decent if not pretty good WRs in place, he might not end up gathering that many targets per game, obviously that impacts production.

101 catches back in 2016 and since then it's been down hill mostly until the Rams last year. If Dallas can afford him and he lands there, seems like they lack punch at WR and maybe he cold make an impact there in Jerry World.

Have a tight roster and actually dropped Toney for Watson. Will probably regret it but I have other good wrs and I love Toney and the potential opportunity but I think it may be tough to get consistent production until weeks from now at the earliest…next year more likely. Have Murray at QB and he’s frustrating…doubt Watson will be better but worth a shot.

Cant believe I am saying this but please dont laugh. I see the LV defense being a decent start for the first time in years ( for 1 game) They play Indy at LV this week. Playing a team that just fired its OC then coach and hired a coach with no coaching experience who has no coach on staff who has called plays at the nfl level. and who has given up the most points to defenses on the year (at least in my main league) I expect Indy to be a disaster Sunday and even LV should have a decent day.

Waivers Ran Last night ... 12 Team 1 QB PPR ($100 FA) .... for those who are interested in who cost what ...

Mims $1
Koo $1
NOS Def $1
Maher $2
Gano $3
Sherfield $4
Mia Def $5
LV Def $6
Toure $11

So I have Josh Palmer...short bench standard scoring league. And short term I tend to like him (gets muddied if Williams and/or Allen come back). Having no real WR 1 and a bunch of WR2-WR3 on my team (Gabe Davis, DJ Moore, Palmer and Tyler Boyd who has played well but obviously has more value with Chase out0...how do you sort out the following as Pickens just became available.
Tyler Boyd
Josh Palmer
Darnell Mooney
Rondale Moore
George Pickens

So I have Josh Palmer...short bench standard scoring league. And short term I tend to like him (gets muddied if Williams and/or Allen come back). Having no real WR 1 and a bunch of WR2-WR3 on my team (Gabe Davis, DJ Moore, Palmer and Tyler Boyd who has played well but obviously has more value with Chase out0...how do you sort out the following as Pickens just became available.
Tyler Boyd
Josh Palmer
Darnell Mooney
Rondale Moore
George Pickens
I have Pickens #1 on that list as a low end WR #2 (20-24)

These 3 are all high end WR #4's with an upside game here and there
Boyd
R Moore
Mooney

Good while Allen or Williams is out just below the others
J Palmer

Week 10 Palmer > Pickens by a smidge

ROS Pickens over all of them with DJ being close.

Garappolo was dropped -- I have Allen and picked up D. Jones -- who'd you rather have (Jimmy G or D. Jones) if Allen ends up being out for a period of time ?

So a rookie RB just had 5 carries, including a TD, ran back a kick 50 yards, and caught 4 balls last Sunday.

Why isn't Raheem Blackshear owned anywhere?
I didn’t see the game. But I’d guess that it’s because he only got the action cuz they got killed and there is 2 RBs ahead of him when Hubbard comes back this week

Garappolo was dropped -- I have Allen and picked up D. Jones -- who'd you rather have (Jimmy G or D. Jones) if Allen ends up being out for a period of time ?
I‘d most likely go with Daniel Jones due to the rushing abilties. I think he has the higher upside but he also has the lower floor. If you have a lot of those type of players (boom/bust) then go Jimmy for the stability. So I guess it comes down to your team composition for me. Both decent choices given the circumstance. Good luck!

Do we think Jonathan Taylor plays on Sunday? With Taylor trending up and getting a practice in on Wed and Jackson not practicing and trending down, debating to drop Jackson and pickup Warren from PIT.

At this point, I'm reaching for scraps since Hall went down. I'm reacting to potential.

I‘d most likely go with Daniel Jones due to the rushing abilties. I think he has the higher upside but he also has the lower floor. If you have a lot of those type of players (boom/bust) then go Jimmy for the stability. So I guess it comes down to your team composition for me. Both decent choices given the circumstance. Good luck!
Jones has two nice matchups in weeks 10 HOU and week 11 DET both at home. I am looking at D Jones to fill in for Tua in week 11. I gotta wait until next week to drop and pick up a QB for one week.

Cant believe I am saying this but please dont laugh. I see the LV defense being a decent start for the first time in years ( for 1 game) They play Indy at LV this week. Playing a team that just fired its OC then coach and hired a coach with no coaching experience who has no coach on staff who has called plays at the nfl level. and who has given up the most points to defenses on the year (at least in my main league) I expect Indy to be a disaster Sunday and even LV should have a decent day.
I think you drastically underestimate how masterful the Raiders are at ******* up plans.

Ha, I just picked them up and actually headed to Vegas for the weekend and gonna hit the game. Now I can root for one of my “players”!

Do we think Jonathan Taylor plays on Sunday? With Taylor trending up and getting a practice in on Wed and Jackson not practicing and trending down, debating to drop Jackson and pickup Warren from PIT.

At this point, I'm reaching for scraps since Hall went down. I'm reacting to potential.
I'm considering the same move. Although I think that Warren's opportunity to carry the load is probably smaller than Jackson's as I think there's a small possibility Jonathan Taylor gets shut down this year.

But I also think that Jackson simply isn't very good and even if Taylor gets shut down Moss represents a bigger threat to opportunity than many people realize.

Some folks might have forgotten Chase Edmonds but he got an extra week because of the Bye
I expect him to emerge and do a lot better in Denver than he did in Miami
He wasn't able to get on top of the playbook by McDaniel and that's just how it rolls sometimes but he looked good in Arizona
Gordon,Murray, fossils and Chase hasn't had injuries this season, chance to be the RB1 until Javonte comes back middle of next year, great opp for him to earn his keep.

I'm considering the same move. Although I think that Warren's opportunity to carry the load is probably smaller than Jackson's as I think there's a small possibility Jonathan Taylor gets shut down this year.

But I also think that Jackson simply isn't very good and even if Taylor gets shut down Moss represents a bigger threat to opportunity than many people realize.
After seeing the report that Taylor was once again at practice today, I dumped Jackson and picked up Warren.

Cheers
a story about Jonas Gray brought back fond memories of my most excellent preemptive pick up of all time. Imagine picking up a guy 2 weeks EARLIER than he got called up to the 53 man roster and have him go off for 37-201 and 4 touchdowns. (only to be relegated to the bench because he didnt plug his phone in to charge and miss a team meeting ( which went on to prove how much of a hard *** Belicheck is....cause who benchs a 201 yd 4 td guy for the rest of his life) The next week people were clamoring to pick up this phenom off the WW only to find out I not only already had him but I started him as well.

What is the chance Aaron Rodgers “thumb” issue is worse than people are saying & Jordan Love makes an appearance??
I am looking at Bye week QB issue soon and Love & Ehlinger are in joy options.

Some folks might have forgotten Chase Edmonds but he got an extra week because of the Bye
He wasn't able to get on top of the playbook by McDaniel and that's just how it rolls sometimes but he looked good in Arizona
Gordon,Murray, fossils and Chase hasn't had injuries this season, chance to be the RB1 until Javonte comes back middle of next year, great opp for him to earn his keep.
I think I saw that Arizona ran Inside Zone and Chase appeared to excel in that, while Miami runs Outside Zone.

Anybody know what scheme they use in Denver? Is he actually a better fit there or just another body?

I'd lean toward Jimmy G. Much softer SOS for the 49ers compared to Giants. And CMC receiving TDs count just as much as anybody else's rushing TDs (much the same as Barkley).

So a rookie RB just had 5 carries, including a TD, ran back a kick 50 yards, and caught 4 balls last Sunday.

Why isn't Raheem Blackshear owned anywhere?
He could get increased touches Thursday night.

6-32, not targeted. First run was 12 yards, next one was zero, and iirc got positive yards on each of his last 4 carries.

Looked way better than Hubbard as a runner. He has some playmaking ability as a receiver. But rn Foreman has that job on lockdown and nothing will change barring an injury.

Decent stash in deeeeeep leagues, though.

I'd lean toward Jimmy G. Much softer SOS for the 49ers compared to Giants. And CMC receiving TDs count just as much as anybody else's rushing TDs (much the same as Barkley).
Great point. And I see many have picked SF for their offense this week.

I think I saw that Arizona ran Inside Zone and Chase appeared to excel in that, while Miami runs Outside Zone.

Anybody know what scheme they use in Denver? Is he actually a better fit there or just another body?
Good Question: The loss of Javonte Williams leaves a mighty big hole and IMHO he might be the guy on the roster that can hold the fort down or be part of a 2-Back system going forward.
They run zone but it's not the same as Mike McDaniel's and I think there is a reason he traded for Jeff Wilson, also Chase wasn't great pass blocking in McDaniel's scheme, Jeff Wilson was taking Edge rushers OUT on Sunday, Tua never looked so good throwing the football.

I'm personally betting against Murray and Gordon and feel the more Chase is given opportunities there the better he will do. He was pretty good in AZ, was not battling injuries in Miami, just could not get on top of the new passing game we implemented.

RB5/6 type end of bench, 15-16 man rosters likely won't work with Chase.
Speculative gold mining and he at least ha sa track record of flashing some skills.

Users who are viewing this thread