What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Weekly Waiver Wire Pick Ups - **CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK** Week 17 starts on Page 30 (1 Viewer)

Lions RB situation is fluid and it’s hard to extrapolate from small sample sizes, but Godwin Igwebuike should have good volume independent of game script. If it goes as bad as I expect, he’s a very good pass catching & so far has been decent in pass pro. If the game is close, Jefferson missed two practices this week and had been behind Igwebuike all year. Practice squad RB will he active but I doubt he sees many snaps - he’ll likely take the KR duties from Iggy.
I just came here to ask about this, thanks Bobby 

I just came here to ask about this, thanks Bobby 
He’s a good dude. Smart & very engaging, has a great backstory.

Played safety at Notthwestern, was an XFL star, been bouncing around the league a few years as a kick returner. In OTAs this spring he showed some wiggle in ball carrier drills so Lynn asked him if he ever played offense (he was a RB in HS.) Campbell told him they’d give him some reps at summer camp, he was like “yeah right.” Officially converted to RB two weeks before training camp.

Reminds me of another obscure RB who got an unexpected opportunity, Samkon Gado. Remember that year he was last man standing for the Packers & was fantasy relevant for a few weeks? Where are they now ASIDE - completed med school after the NFL, currently a second year ENT resident in St Louis.

Big risk rolling out Godwin this week. I’m heavily favored and locked into 4th or 5th seed (e.g., I’m playing the same guy two weeks in a row.) For me to Flex him is strictly what-the-heck and there’s no repercussions if I’m wrong. OTOH, gonna be ultimate “aw shucks just had a feeling” if he hits double digits for a third time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Played safety at Notthwestern, was an XFL star, been bouncing around the league a few years as a kick returner. In OTAs this spring he showed some wiggle in ball carrier drills so Lynn asked him if he ever played offense (he was a RB in HS.) Campbell told him they’d give him some reps at summer camp, he was like “yeah right.” Officially converted to RB two weeks before training camp.

Reminds me of another obscure RB who got an unexpected opportunity, Samkon Gado. Remember that year he was last man standing for the Packers & was fantasy relevant for a few weeks? Where are they now ASIDE - completed med school after the NFL, currently a second year ENT resident in St Louis.

Big risk rolling out Godwin this week. I’m heavily favored and locked into 4th or 5th seed (e.g., I’m playing the same guy two weeks in a row.) For me to Flex him is strictly what-the-heck and there’s no repercussions if I’m wrong. OTOH, gonna be ultimate “aw shucks just had a feeling” if he hits double digits for a third time.
This addition gives me 4 Lions(Swift, Hock, Brown, and now Igwebuike), nobody can win a championship with 4 Lions can they?

I've already won the 1st WC, so locked in at 4....but I'd like to win this week as I'm playing the #1 overall seed

This addition gives me 4 Lions(Swift, Hock, Brown, and now Igwebuike), nobody can win a championship with 4 Lions can they?

I've already won the 1st WC, so locked in at 4....but I'd like to win this week as I'm playing the #1 overall seed

IKR

I’ve been rolling with Hock & Swift most of the year, had AMRB & Josh Reynolds rostered earlier, now the Nigerian Crab (Jamaal’s nickname for him.)

Tomorrow I could have a lineup with Taysom, a Texan (Cooks), two Broncos (Javonte & Sutton.) Or plug in Igwebuike. I’m not exactly peaking for the playoffs over here. Lots of injuries.

3rd in scoring but only 7-6, 1st (last) in points allowed. Punchers chance but gonna need to get lucky Weeks 15-17. Haven’t won my main league in 6 years.

BobbyLayne said:

What a reference :lol:

Just not someone I'd even thought about since plugging him in all those years ago :lol:
I remember it well….late Friday afternoon in the office…dude stopped by my desk & said hey this kid came off the bench last week & now he’s the starter. Immediately picked him up & started him with NO info. 26-62 and maybe a TD - won the week for me. 

That article sounds more like guesswork than anything else.  Both will be active but I don’t think anyone knows how the touches will be distributed.
I don't disagree (although the FBG overnight update reported that as well). 

That article sounds more like guesswork than anything else.  Both will be active but I don’t think anyone knows how the touches will be distributed.
I don't disagree (although the FBG overnight update reported that as well).
Seems like the overnight update cited that article as the source. I found that update to be overly definitive and had to look the article up because a lot of signs pointed to Penny getting a big role this week. I think any definitive statement at this point is a not very based on fact.

Seems like the overnight update cited that article as the source. I found that update to be overly definitive and had to look the article up because a lot of signs pointed to Penny getting a big role this week. I think any definitive statement at this point is a not very based on fact.
He had a big role this week. 

So clearly Penny will be this week's hot waiver add, but what do people think is the profile for teams that need to go after him? Is he a potential league winner with his great Week 16-17 schedule (Chi/Det)? Is he worth adding as depth because you never know when one of your starters will get Covid? My current RBs are good-not-great (Gibson/Jacobs as starters, backed up by Freeman/Sony/Edmonds).

Trying to decide between using my claim on him vs. the SF DST. I have Dallas, who is very startable the next two weeks, but SF gets Houston in championship week, plus would also be blocking anyone from using them against me this week vs. Atlanta.

I'm leaning Penny, but I guess the argument for SF is that I should use a waiver claim on someone I will definitely be starting during the playoffs, which I will with SF in Week 17.

So clearly Penny will be this week's hot waiver add, but what do people think is the profile for teams that need to go after him? Is he a potential league winner with his great Week 16-17 schedule (Chi/Det)? Is he worth adding as depth because you never know when one of your starters will get Covid? My current RBs are good-not-great (Gibson/Jacobs as starters, backed up by Freeman/Sony/Edmonds).

Trying to decide between using my claim on him vs. the SF DST. I have Dallas, who is very startable the next two weeks, but SF gets Houston in championship week, plus would also be blocking anyone from using them against me this week vs. Atlanta.

I'm leaning Penny, but I guess the argument for SF is that I should use a waiver claim on someone I will definitely be starting during the playoffs, which I will with SF in Week 17.
I take Penny but you have to accept that this may be your only opportunity to use him.  You can't count on anything beyond this week with him, in fact his career is so plagued by missed time that you should assume that you won't be able to use him beyond this week.  Still I take him.

Streaming defenses against bad offenses has been a coin flip at best for me this season.  I think I am 5-5 this season for my streamed defense hitting at least average output when playing Detroit, Jacksonville, Houston and, I think Chicago (Fields in and Monty out).  I was 3-5 but the Rams & Titans helped me out the last two weeks facing the Jags.  Next up Arizona @ Detroit.

Defenses are random number generators.  That being said I would absolutely love rolling out SF against the Texans during championship week.

Streaming defenses against bad offenses has been a coin flip at best for me this season.  I think I am 5-5 this season for my streamed defense hitting at least average output when playing Detroit, Jacksonville, Houston and, I think Chicago (Fields in and Monty out).  I was 3-5 but the Rams & Titans helped me out the last two weeks facing the Jags.  Next up Arizona @ Detroit.

Defenses are random number generators.  That being said I would absolutely love rolling out SF against the Texans during championship week.
True, although would your track record be any better with a "stud" DST? On one team I've had Buffalo for most of the year, and they've been pretty hit or miss as well. Same with Dallas.

I do agree that it's generally a bad idea to waste waiver priority/FAAB on a defense. Although in the league where I'm considering it there are at least a couple teams that routinely use their claims on DTS, Ks, etc. (I used to take that approach as well, until a few years ago I started guarding my priority for the weeks I truly needed it.) So if I want to get SF, especially with their matchup this week, I'll probably need to put in a claim. 

Think waiver strategy has to be adjusted slightly with Covid running rampant now.

Should prepare for guys to go down and have bodies that can generate 10 ish points over say, that extra defense that maybe you don't need (or will produce crap anyway).

Starting to look at players I would normally pass on and getting backups where I normally wouldn't (like TE, QB).

Think waiver strategy has to be adjusted slightly with Covid running rampant now.

Should prepare for guys to go down and have bodies that can generate 10 ish points over say, that extra defense that maybe you don't need (or will produce crap anyway).

Starting to look at players I would normally pass on and getting backups where I normally wouldn't (like TE, QB).
I'm grabbing a backup TE this week. Looking at RBs that would be in line for good volume if the starter went down (K Herbert for example).

Good point. You also may want to shy away from handcuffs, since if the RB1 gets Covid it could take out his backup as well. For example, someone like Devonta Freeman would normally be the classic bye-week fill-in who you drop later in the season to get a high-upside handcuff like, say, Marlon Mack. But this year, if you already have Taylor, you might be better off hanging on to Freeman so your backup options are less correlated

Agreed. I never roster a backup QB or TE but now might be the time to do so. A guy like Jimmy G is widely available, has a great playoffs schedule, and has been good and can be used in a pinch if your QB gets covid. 

Agreed. I never roster a backup QB or TE but now might be the time to do so. A guy like Jimmy G is widely available, has a great playoffs schedule, and has been good and can be used in a pinch if your QB gets covid. 
Considering. I feel like I'm trapped with Pitts.  I KNOW once I sit him, he'll go off; and yet he's #5 TE in my league with a steady stream of 1-6pts the last 7 weeks 😠

Since there is a lot of Covid turmoil this week, might be time to take some draft busts back. 

Mike Davis. Quietly has 2 double digit weeks last 2 games in PPR. 

Kenny Golladay. Bad result this week but 8 targets and was on the field for 88% of the snaps. So far no injury news. 

Robby Anderson. 12 targets for 84 yards and a TD. Might not last but he's getting looks like we expected finally. 

True, although would your track record be any better with a "stud" DST? On one team I've had Buffalo for most of the year, and they've been pretty hit or miss as well. Same with Dallas.

I do agree that it's generally a bad idea to waste waiver priority/FAAB on a defense. Although in the league where I'm considering it there are at least a couple teams that routinely use their claims on DTS, Ks, etc. (I used to take that approach as well, until a few years ago I started guarding my priority for the weeks I truly needed it.) So if I want to get SF, especially with their matchup this week, I'll probably need to put in a claim. 
Good points. 

Personally I have had it with going after preseason "top" defenses. I'd rather draft one late and play matchups all year than give up a pick that could have turned into a decent RB or WR.

Good points. 

Personally I have had it with going after preseason "top" defenses. I'd rather draft one late and play matchups all year than give up a pick that could have turned into a decent RB or WR.

This is a great strategy except in leagues where FA/Waiver pickups cost money. 

Most any league I'm in starts with a certain number of free pickups (between 5 and 20), with the balance costing extra (usually $5). In a $150 league, an extra 5 pickups to work the wire just for DST is another third of your buyin... not counting other positions. 

This is a great strategy except in leagues where FA/Waiver pickups cost money. 

Most any league I'm in starts with a certain number of free pickups (between 5 and 20), with the balance costing extra (usually $5). In a $150 league, an extra 5 pickups to work the wire just for DST is another third of your buyin... not counting other positions. 
That's why I'd never play in a league that charges for transactions. My dad's 40 year league does that. Seems crazy to me. 

Leroy Hoard said:
Good points. 

Oh absolutely. I almost always draft my defense in the next-to-last round. But my goal is always not to stream. Ideally, I'll either draft a D late that turns out to be set-it-and-forget-it, or else I'll pick one up early on in the season and ride them the rest of the way. If none of that pans out, then I'll fall back on streaming.

My point was that, even in cases where you pick right and get that SIAFI defense, you're still going to have some ups and downs. Let's look at the top three defenses through Week 14 (NE, Dallas and Buffalo). I'm guessing that in most leagues, they were either drafted relatively late (NE/Buff) or not at all (Dallas). But all three have become relatively reliable weekly options.

So let's look at how they've performed using the somewhat arbitrary criteria of "bad" games (less than 7pts in standard scoring), "average" (7-9) or "good" (10+):

• New England: 5-1-7
  • Dallas: 3-4-6
  • Buffalo: 5-2-6
That means that if you had stumbled into one of those defenses in the draft and started them every week, on average more than half of the time you would have ended up with a single digit score, and a third of the time you would have ended up with a result that hurt your team's chances. True, some of them were landmines you might have seen coming and known to swap in a replacement (like Buffalo vs TB this past Sunday). But other stinkers came in games that looked like smash plays, like Dallas vs Denver or NE vs Houston.

I still think this approach is preferable if you can pull it off, in part because you don't have to pay the mental tax of choosing streamers each week. But it's hardly foolproof. As with just about every other aspect of fantasy, DST scoring is always going to have a large element of randomness to it

In hoping/preparing for week 16 anyone picking up ATL (home vs Det) or NYU (Home vs Jax). I am kinda feeling Jets here as both teams are in tank mode. Players will play football but the rare case could be Jax where they hate Urban so much they might just put up a doughnut and not care. 

Insein said:
That's why I'd never play in a league that charges for transactions. My dad's 40 year league does that. Seems crazy to me. 
I love it. 

It accomplishes two things IMO: 

- Slows excessive cycling of players... creates more of a realistic managerial style . 
- Builds the pot for the Toilet Bowl Champion (who gets half the FA fees in our leagues).. we usually end up with 60-80 additional moves which is 300-400 in added cash in the pool. 

Payouts are generally: 

1st: 40% of dues + 50% of Waiver $
2nd: 30% of dues 
3rd: 20% of dues
4th: 10% of dues 

7th: 50% of Waiver $ 

Swapped out Igwebuike for Netflix Reynolds - will be my RB7, just a block against anyone needing a last minute option.

Spent my last $1 FABB on Bateman - dropped the trash bag known as Courtland Sutton onto the curb. Remember when #14 was the steal of huge draft after 6 weeks? Haha that was…2021? You sure??

Might Flex the rookie, depends on how many of my 5-in-the-infirmary are active this weekend.

Normally this time of year I have odd roster construction.

1 QB, TE, K, DST (pretty standard)

+1 over required starting WRs

Max RBs on active + IR (lottery tickets I’ve been collecting)

This year I feel like I need contingency plans bc Covid could knock out anyone. It’s so weird worrying about depth Week 15.

I'm currently down Woods, Theilen, and E. Moore. Paper thin at WR.  How would you rank these three available WRs?

Barrios (both Moore and Corey Davis out)

People-Jones (Landry out, but so is Mayfield)

Golladay (Huge bust, but still getting targets)

For some reason Rhamondre is a FA in my ten man full ppr. Should I Drop Davante Parker for him? I already have Adams, Diontae, and Mooney as my receivers. And Odell.

I'm currently down Woods, Theilen, and E. Moore. Paper thin at WR.  How would you rank these three available WRs?

Barrios (both Moore and Corey Davis out)

People-Jones (Landry out, but so is Mayfield)

Golladay (Huge bust, but still getting targets)
I’d avoid KG as he hasn’t showed out all year.

DPJ seems like he’s finally healthy, but no volume eh. Well, last week, but hadn’t been consistent.

Barrios is a gadget waterbug - kick returns, bubble screens, slants - low ADoT, good days will have a lot of YAC. Thing is, Wilson is a hot mess rn. Those shallow depth, high percentage throws are one of the few things working for Gang Green atm.

I love it. 

It accomplishes two things IMO: 

- Slows excessive cycling of players... creates more of a realistic managerial style . 
- Builds the pot for the Toilet Bowl Champion (who gets half the FA fees in our leagues).. we usually end up with 60-80 additional moves which is 300-400 in added cash in the pool. 

Payouts are generally: 

1st: 40% of dues + 50% of Waiver $
2nd: 30% of dues 
3rd: 20% of dues
4th: 10% of dues 

7th: 50% of Waiver $ 
We have a $200 buy in (12 team, 20+ year league) and the first five wire transactions are free, after that it's $5/pop.

Top four teams (all-play) make the playoffs (weeks 16&17) and of the remaining non-playoff teams the top two in combined scoring over those two weeks (16&17) split the waiver wire money 60:40. 

This structure really keeps teams active and motivated to finish the season as even the worst teams still have a crack at a not-insubatantial payout at the end of the season.

Our Toilet Bowl is in week 18 and they don't play for money, in fact the loser has to buy the beer for the draft the following season.

Chiming in on the fun WW set-ups.

• $650 league buy-in
  • $15 FA moves, $20 trades (unlimited players)
  • Start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/PK/DT
  • Incredibly short benches, fixed rosters (2QB, 3-4RB, 4-5WR, 2TE, 2PK, 2DT), which forces moves constantly
  • Half the move pot goes to high point winner for season, the other half goes to highest single game score
  • Move pot typically comes in at $3K, so nice payout for the above winners
We also pay $100 for weekly high score. Our payouts keep it interesting all the way through EOS, and gives everyone an opportunity to carve some money back. It also protects from bad beats. The guy with the best team this year will likely take down the entire move pot, but is in danger of getting knocked out of his WC spot this week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread