What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wes Welker to Walk? (1 Viewer)

'DropKick said:
It only takes one team to pay what a player wants, and I believe there will be an NFL team that will give Welker close to what he wants. It will come down to whether Welker is more in it for the money than playing on a team with a legit chance to win (whether that be NE or another team).
I think the loss of Welker would hurt NE. Other than the TEs, they really haven't done a good job of integrating WRs into that offense.I think Welker (like most guys) would take the big payday. But who knows? Maybe he is comfortable with the Pats? Maybe his time in Miami was frustrating? As someone else said, will somebody pony up (yes, bronco pun) for a 32 year old receiver with mileage? This one will be fun to watch.
IMO it's best for both Welker and the Pats for him to stay. While Welker could get more money elsewhere he should be able to get very good money from the Pats. 5 years/$45M with $25M guaranteed (basically a little less than $30M for 3 years) seems like a deal that could work for everybody.
Don't think the pats have any intention of paying him that much. If offered I think welker would jump at that. Last official offer was during the 2011 season and was for 2 years for 16 million, all guaranteed. Willing to bet they don't want to go much above that now either, two years later.

I wouldn't be surprised if Welker ended up in Chicago. They are intent on giving Cutler someone they can rely on besides Marshall, and I think he'd fit well along with Marshall and Jeffrey.As for the Pats, it would be interesting to see how they fill that 100-catch void should Welker move on. I don't really see Harvin as an option but I do think Amendola is a possibility. I don't think Amendole will command the sort of money some have suggested. I think it likeliest though that they address the need as others here have suggested, with a role increase combo of Hernandez, Edelman, Vereen, and they should also address the WR position through the draft.I also believe they will lean more heavily on the run and less on the pass as Brady ages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what Buffalo's cap situation is, but could see them making a run at Welker. They need to add 2 WR's and would expect one would be a big outside guy and the other would be a slot receiver.

I wouldn't be surprised if Welker ended up in Chicago. They are intent on giving Cutler someone they can rely on besides Marshall, and I think he'd fit well along with Marshall and Jeffrey.As for the Pats, it would be interesting to see how they fill that 100-catch void should Welker move on. I don't really see Harvin as an option but I do think Amendola is a possibility. I don't think Amendole will command the sort of money some have suggested. I think it likeliest though that they address the need as others here have suggested, with a role increase combo of Hernandez, Edelman, Vereen, and they should also address the WR position through the draft.I also believe they will lean more heavily on the run and less on the pass as Brady ages.
it's a void, but maybe not as big as it seems.Brady threw a recordrecord Number of balls - probably 60 more than 2007, so you could shave 20 targets off last year.Gronk and hernandez probably missed out on 100+ targets last year due to injury.Add 20 tgts to lloyd, and 20 to ballard, and you've accounted for welker's tgts before you even get to his replacement.

it's a void, but maybe not as big as it seems.Brady threw a recordrecord Number of balls - probably 60 more than 2007, so you could shave 20 targets off last year.Gronk and hernandez probably missed out on 100+ targets last year due to injury.Add 20 tgts to lloyd, and 20 to ballard, and you've accounted for welker's tgts before you even get to his replacement.
I do not think replacing Welker is that simple...he is a very unique receiver and what he does will be very difficult to duplicate...an example of this is saying Lloyd can take 20 of his targets...he's a totally different WR and he simply can not do what Welker does...Welker is quick, gets dirty and takes a lot of punishment...Lloyd is somewhat of a soft WR who too often goes down before contact...there is no way he can or would make many of the catches Welker makes...with the possible exception of Amendola it's going to be extrememy difficult to have someone mimic what Welker does...as stated before Edelman looks like he could do it but he gets hurt quite often and that's without taking the punishment Welker takes...the question if Welker leaves becomes do the Pats tweak how their passing game operates...who they get if Welker leaves would probably be the clues needed before we can even guess about that...

One of the hard to figure out issues for the Pats the past few years is that their defense has been the weak link in their losses in the regular season, but their offense has been the bigger cause for them losing in the playoffs. Whiole they seemingly can score 30+ points at will in the regular season, at some point in the post season they run up against a wall and can't get it done. Against the Ravens, they failed to convert 4 times on 3rd and 2 that ended drives (and another on 3rd and 4).But it's hard to worry about the offense when it's clear the defense still needs a lot of help and improvement.If Welker were to move on, I don't think they will have an easy time replacing him and the role he filled. However, I think they will go about things in a a different way and they will still be effective in moving the ball and ultimately scoring a lot of points. They might get away from the quick hitters to Welker for 7 yards, but they might run the ball more, use the TEs more, use backs out of the backfield, etc.I do think Welker is underrated in just how many times he went in the middle of the field and got smacked around. Edelman has proven he can run a few similar routes, but he has not proven he can stay healthy (and is also a free agent). The challenge may be that without Elker, in a game like they had against BAL, they may need a consistent guy to get that 3rd and 4 catch, rinse and repeat. As constituted, I am not sure they have that guy just yeat (although I would guess the leading candidate would be Hernandez, but he has been known to drop easy catches on occasion).

IMO it's best for both Welker and the Pats for him to stay. While Welker could get more money elsewhere he should be able to get very good money from the Pats. 5 years/$45M with $25M guaranteed (basically a little less than $30M for 3 years) seems like a deal that could work for everybody.
They only offered him 2 years and $16 millions last year and now that he's a year older you are throwing out $25million just in guarantees? I've got to say I think that's pretty far from reality.I read a chat yesterday from Mike Reiss and he does not believe they would increase the 2 year $16 million offer. I can't recall exactly but he might have said he's not even sure they'd do that amount any longer..

They only offered him 2 years and $16 millions last year and now that he's a year older you are throwing out $25million just in guarantees? I've got to say I think that's pretty far from reality.I read a chat yesterday from Mike Reiss and he does not believe they would increase the 2 year $16 million offer. I can't recall exactly but he might have said he's not even sure they'd do that amount any longer..
Obviously that's not a deal they are interested in but I think it's more than fair. They either think Welker will cave (as he's done in the past) or they think he's just not worth it. It seems like a mistake to me not to meet in the middle somewhere, but then I haven't built a SB team. Belichick has shown time and again he's knows when it's time to part ways with a player.

'DropKick said:
It only takes one team to pay what a player wants, and I believe there will be an NFL team that will give Welker close to what he wants. It will come down to whether Welker is more in it for the money than playing on a team with a legit chance to win (whether that be NE or another team).
I think the loss of Welker would hurt NE. Other than the TEs, they really haven't done a good job of integrating WRs into that offense.I think Welker (like most guys) would take the big payday. But who knows? Maybe he is comfortable with the Pats? Maybe his time in Miami was frustrating? As someone else said, will somebody pony up (yes, bronco pun) for a 32 year old receiver with mileage? This one will be fun to watch.
megalol

Welker is pretty under-rated on FBGs, but I think NFL execs know how good he is and he'll end up getting a big deal somewhere.He's not big or fast, and doesn't fit the physical model for an NFL WR1, but his ability to get separation in a phone booth and pick up 1st downs with YAC is the very best in the NFL. And that is a huge asset for any NFL team, NE included. I think he is worth every penny of the franchise tag to a team that is competing for the trophy every year, and if there's any way NE can keep him, they will for as long as possible. If he does hit the open market, he'll get $10 million+ / year I think.

Welker is pretty under-rated on FBGs, but I think NFL execs know how good he is and he'll end up getting a big deal somewhere.He's not big or fast, and doesn't fit the physical model for an NFL WR1, but his ability to get separation in a phone booth and pick up 1st downs with YAC is the very best in the NFL. And that is a huge asset for any NFL team, NE included. I think he is worth every penny of the franchise tag to a team that is competing for the trophy every year, and if there's any way NE can keep him, they will for as long as possible. If he does hit the open market, he'll get $10 million+ / year I think.
Nope. $10M/year is reserved for true #1 receivers. Not 32-year old slot receivers.I would be shocked if he signs more than a 2 year deal with any team for more than $7M per year. To a major extent, the QBs make the WRs. Welker isn't coming in and blowing up with even 90 catches with any other team. I would be surprised if he had more than 80 receptions with any other team next year.

Welker in Detroit would be intriguing. I doubt they would want to burn that kind of money at the WR position, but Welker and Megatron would be quite a challenge to defend against.Atlanta would also be interesting, but it's also unlikely they would want that much money dedicated to receivers.

'meyerj31 said:
'Coeur de Lion said:
Nope. $10M/year is reserved for true #1 receivers. Not 32-year old slot receivers.I would be shocked if he signs more than a 2 year deal with any team for more than $7M per year. To a major extent, the QBs make the WRs. Welker isn't coming in and blowing up with even 90 catches with any other team. I would be surprised if he had more than 80 receptions with any other team next year.
It depends on where he ends up obviously, but I certainly think he could eclipse 80 or 90 receptions on a few other teams.

i'm sure whoever does sign him has the intent to utilize him. Maybe not 160+ targets, but you don't sign a FA WR to a $8 Million contract with $15 Million guaranteed (just a WAG on my part) and not make him an integral part of the offense. Besides NE, could see him in HOU, ATL, BAL, and DEN... basically teams with a "closing window". DET has Broyles and IND has Hilton, both I like more in the slot than outside, though they throw a ton and obviously as a Welker owner that would be great. By the same logic, HOU and BAL don't throw a ton, but could use another weapon and it could be a double benefit of adding Welker and taking him away from a divisional rival

so, balt might have to cut boldin because they can't afford him, but they're going to turn around and throw more money at welker and field half a defense?that makes sense.a number of the other clubs I see mentioned are just as tight on cap, and certainly worse off than the pats.nothing wrong with putting a little thought into your opinions.pswhy is atl a team with a "closing window", and how is it bal and hou get double benefit from signing welker?

sorry for the "hit and run" larry, in work mode. Thought does not necessarily equate to research.Off the top of my head (again), ATL has diminishing assets in White, Gonzo, Abraham, Robinson (won't mention Turner since he's lost most of his usefullness already). Quote on White:Evan Silva‏@evansilvaRichard Sherman on Roddy White: "They have to hide him to get him open. He's an easy matchup. He'll be another easy matchup next year."Gonzo is 50/50 coming back and wants to be courted by TV and/or ATL. Abraham and Robinson may get cut.I personally don't think of them as a dynasty in the making with Smith/Ryan/JJ, I like Dimitroff, but he paid an awful lot for JJ and it has affected depth. Haven't studied cap space for all teams, but think Bolden will restructure to stay and Welker would be a nice complement to Boldin/Smith/Pitta/Rice. Since this is all speculation, I would say the odds of Welker staying in NE is about 60/40. So the chance he ends up on one of the teams I mentioned is less than 10%. Here is a professional opinion on best fits: Evan Silva‏@evansilvaBest fits for Wes Welker if he leaves Foxboro: 1) #Texans 2) #Broncos 3) #Bears 4) #49ers 5) #Redskins.

I can't believe the Chargers are paid Royal (assuming he's cut) almost as much ($6M last year) as the numbers being thrown around for Welker. Meachem's contract is further insult to injury.

boldin's on the last year of his deal -- what would this 'restructure' be, exactly? :lmao: @ evan silvaand I'm still waiting to find out how balt and whoever get double benefit from welker.

boldin's on the last year of his deal -- what would this 'restructure' be, exactly? :lmao: @ evan silvaand I'm still waiting to find out how balt and whoever get double benefit from welker.
Well, this is what he said:
double benefit of adding Welker and taking him away from a divisional rival
I'll assume he meant they'd be taking him away from a Conference rival, not "divisional" - although not exactly a reason why a team would sign a FA of course.

One of my favorite Eddie Murphy quotes "you're right. i'm wrong. i'm sorry".I'll let the intelligentsia disperse their knowledge as they see fit.

you don't have to get sensitive when someone offers a little constructive criticism, or asks for some actual reasoning behind your opinions.if the pats lose welker do you think they should trade their 3rd for julio jones?they'd even get double benefit by keeping him away from the jets.

indifferent to strangers on message boards. I can go Socratic with you but I only have Welker in one dynasty league and whatever will happen will happen, regardless of what any of us post. We may have thoughts and opinions based on varying degree of research, but it is just pure conjecture from amateurs.so i think your trade idea is a good one. Mahalo:-)

*While I love Welker and want him re-signed one of the reasons the Pats have remained as a high-caliber team for the past decade plus is they tend to let guys walk earlier rather than later...it can suck as you see guys you really like leave but this philosophy has worked for the most part...
I agree that it has worked for the most part, but I also believe that letting Deion Branch go cost them a SB. I'll overpay here and there to not have to watch them try and win an AFC championship game with Reche freaking Caldwell as the #1 receiver.
This one was a little different because of the timing and the fact that Branch wasn't a free agent or at an age where you are worried about regression...Branch held-out and because of this the Pats were put in a situation where they could not replace him properly as the draft and the meat of free agency had already passed...so while I do agree that losing Branch hurt the Pats that year he was absolutely not worth the contract Seattle gave him and the Pats made a great trade for him...
I don't think the specifics are too important. The overall point is that they had a reliable receiver who was a focal point of the office and, for whatever reason (age, market value, etc.) they didn't want to pay him what he was going to get paid. So, he left, and they tried to replace him with a rotation of journeymen JAGS, and utterly failed. They didn't solve the problem Branch's departure created until they completely changed their minds about not emphasizing WR's and traded a 2nd/7th for Welker and a 4th for Randy Moss. The result was an NFL record-breaking season.There's a parallel to be drawn with Asante Samuel. He left, overpaid, and the Patriots have replaced him with 2nd round picks and JAGS. They finally took a chance on a high profile "shutdown" guy in Talib, who wasn't great, but he was competitive in man-to-man situations, which is more than I can say about anything they've had at the position in awhile. Will they let him go and continue to try and plug guys in, or will they have a philosophical change about CB's now too? I guess we'll find out pretty soon.

speaking of boldin, it seams like he could do a lot of the stuff wes does, for cheaper.
I'm struggling to think of two WR's that play the game more differently than Anquan Boldin and Wes Welker.They're both extremely tough, I'll say that. But I don't think Boldin can do anything that Welker does well, or vice versa for the most part.

'cstu said:
I can't believe the Chargers are paid Royal (assuming he's cut) almost as much ($6M last year) as the numbers being thrown around for Welker. Meachem's contract is further insult to injury.
Oof, yeah that's gross.

*While I love Welker and want him re-signed one of the reasons the Pats have remained as a high-caliber team for the past decade plus is they tend to let guys walk earlier rather than later...it can suck as you see guys you really like leave but this philosophy has worked for the most part...
I agree that it has worked for the most part, but I also believe that letting Deion Branch go cost them a SB. I'll overpay here and there to not have to watch them try and win an AFC championship game with Reche freaking Caldwell as the #1 receiver.
This one was a little different because of the timing and the fact that Branch wasn't a free agent or at an age where you are worried about regression...Branch held-out and because of this the Pats were put in a situation where they could not replace him properly as the draft and the meat of free agency had already passed...so while I do agree that losing Branch hurt the Pats that year he was absolutely not worth the contract Seattle gave him and the Pats made a great trade for him...
I don't think the specifics are too important. The overall point is that they had a reliable receiver who was a focal point of the office and, for whatever reason (age, market value, etc.) they didn't want to pay him what he was going to get paid. So, he left, and they tried to replace him with a rotation of journeymen JAGS, and utterly failed. They didn't solve the problem Branch's departure created until they completely changed their minds about not emphasizing WR's and traded a 2nd/7th for Welker and a 4th for Randy Moss. The result was an NFL record-breaking season.There's a parallel to be drawn with Asante Samuel. He left, overpaid, and the Patriots have replaced him with 2nd round picks and JAGS. They finally took a chance on a high profile "shutdown" guy in Talib, who wasn't great, but he was competitive in man-to-man situations, which is more than I can say about anything they've had at the position in awhile. Will they let him go and continue to try and plug guys in, or will they have a philosophical change about CB's now too? I guess we'll find out pretty soon.
While this is all pretty much true, people often forget that each team has a limited budget to work with. I hear all the time from people who play the "what if" game with NE. If only they kept Seymour, Law, Samuel, Branch, etc. But those same people also liked all the guys they added in Moss, Welker, etc. too. The fact is, they couldn't keep all the old guys and bring in new guys and afford to pay them all.Even with the poor receiving corps they had the year pre-Moss/Welker, the Pats had their best defense they had in the BB/Brady era and were one Caldwell drop in the end zone from going to another Super Bowl. They have remained near the top of the NFL for the past 12 years.So, sure, they have rostered and started JAGs at various times at various positions. That's the nature of the beast in the salary cap era. You can't field a team of perennial All-Pros and Hall of Famers year after year. All teams are going to have some flawa and weaknesses, whether that be on one side of the ball, a weaker secondary or OL, an average set of receivers, limited depth, etc. On paper the Pats may look to be worse off without Welker, but if they keep him they will be weaker someplace else. If they let him walk they will be weaker at WR but stronger someplace else. Even though they haven't won a SB the past 8 seasons, they still have had the best regular season record in the NFL in that time. They are obviously doing something right to remain in the hunt each year, even if they fall short at the end of the season.

that's mighty big of you to make the offer, but I don't think nfl rules allow booster contributions.

While I agree that losing Branch hurt them the specifics are very important (because the Pats could not plan for Branch's departure)...Branch's situation is far different than Welker's...you can't compare the two as Welker is a free agent and Branch was under a valid contract and shot his way out-of-town and got a God-awful contract from the Seahawks...Samuel's situation on-the-other-hand is a perfect example...the Pats let by far their best CB walk and have been paying the price on-the-field for years...no doubt about that one...the Samuel move is probably the one that backfired the most during BB's tenure...if they also let Talib walk they could be in trouble as their record of acquiring talent at CB has been awful (although Dennard looks like a keeper if he stays out of jail)...

speaking of boldin, it seams like he could do a lot of the stuff wes does, for cheaper.
I'm struggling to think of two WR's that play the game more differently than Anquan Boldin and Wes Welker.They're both extremely tough, I'll say that. But I don't think Boldin can do anything that Welker does well, or vice versa for the most part.
you are probably right but the both can get open over the middle.

To be clear, I don't mean to criticize them for how they handled Branch. He was way more valuable to the Patriots than another team, and Seattle didn't get that and paid him like a #1 WR. He wasn't, and I'm glad the Patriots didn't give him that contract. But he was a critical part of that offense, and it took them longer than it should have to replace him because they stuck with a certain philosophy with respect to that position for too long.The only reason I bring it up is to express concern of what is going to happen if Welker goes. Like Branch, I'm not interested in over-paying him. If some team wants to go nuts for him, I will understand the Patriots letting him walk. But the fact is, they have two WR's under contract now - Brandon Lloyd and Matthew Slater. They'll probably re-sign Edelman, but I don't like pegging him as a starter, even in a slot role. I'm extremely uncomfortable having a huge hole at a position that they don't draft often or well, have brought in bust after bust via free agency, and at a time when Brady quite obviously needs all the help he can get.

To be clear, I don't mean to criticize them for how they handled Branch. He was way more valuable to the Patriots than another team, and Seattle didn't get that and paid him like a #1 WR. He wasn't, and I'm glad the Patriots didn't give him that contract. But he was a critical part of that offense, and it took them longer than it should have to replace him because they stuck with a certain philosophy with respect to that position for too long.The only reason I bring it up is to express concern of what is going to happen if Welker goes. Like Branch, I'm not interested in over-paying him. If some team wants to go nuts for him, I will understand the Patriots letting him walk. But the fact is, they have two WR's under contract now - Brandon Lloyd and Matthew Slater. They'll probably re-sign Edelman, but I don't like pegging him as a starter, even in a slot role. I'm extremely uncomfortable having a huge hole at a position that they don't draft often or well, have brought in bust after bust via free agency, and at a time when Brady quite obviously needs all the help he can get.
I totally agree with that...their record with WRs (be it rookie or veteran)is very sketchy...there are a ton of guys who have come to the Pats and totally flopped...it is a very difficult O to learn and if Brady doesn't trust you than you are DOA...letting Welker walk is a huge gamble...the Brady window is starting to close and the Pats do not have the luxury of having an off-year right now...any WR brought in must be able to contribute right away...

To be clear, I don't mean to criticize them for how they handled Branch. He was way more valuable to the Patriots than another team, and Seattle didn't get that and paid him like a #1 WR. He wasn't, and I'm glad the Patriots didn't give him that contract. But he was a critical part of that offense, and it took them longer than it should have to replace him because they stuck with a certain philosophy with respect to that position for too long.The only reason I bring it up is to express concern of what is going to happen if Welker goes. Like Branch, I'm not interested in over-paying him. If some team wants to go nuts for him, I will understand the Patriots letting him walk. But the fact is, they have two WR's under contract now - Brandon Lloyd and Matthew Slater. They'll probably re-sign Edelman, but I don't like pegging him as a starter, even in a slot role. I'm extremely uncomfortable having a huge hole at a position that they don't draft often or well, have brought inin bust after bust via free agency, and at a time when Brady quite obviously needs all the help he can get.
How long did it take them to replace branch?

Can't believe how underrated this guy is. Boldin is a solid player... But he doesn't affect the game as Welker does (and I'm a ravens fan mind you). They tried the Edelman experiment last year. When he was healthy, which is almost never it seems, he did an admirable job.Admirable. Not being in the same page with Brady in an almost unstoppable way on 3rd and short or mid distance to go.Can't see them letting Welker walk, he is not so replaceable and NE knows it, and Brady (and his restructure) knows it.

I have had this conversation with close friends who are also all New England fans. All of us want to sign Welker, that can't be argued. But all of us think it won't matter unless they sign a top CB and draft/sign a second CB and that means Talib is probably going to be the preferred guy.I'd rather go to war with Gronk, Hernandez, Llyod and some other mid level WR or one of the top 6-7 rookies in this class knowing that I have Talib and some other semi-credible CB lining up with McCourty at S where he belongs then sign Welker and have the secondary be the :tfp: it has been for the past few years.

Lloyd is going to get cut. Welker and Pats continue to try to work out a deal, but are said to still be pretty far apart.

Was hearing that the pats and welker were making progress on a new deal, but

A source close to Wes Welker told Yahoo Sports that the free agent has "somewhat mild disdain" for the Patriots after OC Josh McDaniels used him sparingly in last year's season opener.

Per Cole, "that bit of tweaking stuck in Welker's craw all season," and "there's a little bit of paranoia in the Welker camp" about his role if he re-signs with New England. Welker shared time with Julian Edelman in Week 1, and Edelman started over Welker in Week 2. The Pats eventually turned back to Welker as a featured player, but only after Edelman and Aaron Hernandez got injured.

Source: Yahoo Sports Mar 5 - 12:59 AM

'Skeletore Eh said:
Was hearing that the pats and welker were making progress on a new deal, but A source close to Wes Welker told Yahoo Sports that the free agent has "somewhat mild disdain" for the Patriots after OC Josh McDaniels used him sparingly in last year's season opener.Per Cole, "that bit of tweaking stuck in Welker's craw all season," and "there's a little bit of paranoia in the Welker camp" about his role if he re-signs with New England. Welker shared time with Julian Edelman in Week 1, and Edelman started over Welker in Week 2. The Pats eventually turned back to Welker as a featured player, but only after Edelman and Aaron Hernandez got injured.Source: Yahoo Sports Mar 5 - 12:59 AM
Concern over role can be trumped by the right paycheck - and Welker knows that his position is, if anything, more solid now than in those early week's last year when the Pats were "discovering" how special a player he is. His replacements aren't and are often hurt to boot.

ESPN's Ed Werder reported on SportsCenter Tuesday that free agent Wes Welker would have "minimal" suitors if he hit the market.

Though video-game productive in New England, Welker is a scheme-specific slot receiver going on age 32. "People I've talked to around the league think that the Patriots have made a wise move here," said Werder. "That there's not gonna be a huge demand on the market for Wes Welker. He'll get a minimal number of teams interested in him and probably be no more valuable to anybody than he is to Tom Brady. ... I think Welker's gonna in all likelihood return (to Foxboro)."

Mar 5 - 10:38 AM

i won't speculate where he might end up without reams of data to back it up, but i still think NE is the favorite. The Market for WRs with a specific skill set is very small. Can't blame Welker or his Agent for trying to get one last payday but it may be quite humbling.

Source: Welker, Patriots closing in on a multi-year deal

Wes Welker and the Patriots are closing in on a multi-year contract that would allow Welker to finish his career in New England. An NFL source says that the two sides are hoping to have something finalized before the onset of free agency on March 12.

According to the source, the two sides have come to the understanding that they are far better with one another than without.

Unlike last year when Welker took what he called a "leap of faith" by accepting the team's franchise tender in the hopes that a long term deal would be worked out, this time the two sides are -- according to the source -- far more willing to compromise than at the same point last year.

More to come . . .

yeah, he only caught 67 balls with joey harrington at qb when the pats coughed up a 2nd rounder for him -- give the guy a little credit.

According to Schefter this morning, Welker has no plans to sign with the Patriots before free agency and intends to test the market.

That sounds more likely to me than the report yesterday that the Pats and Welker were on the verge of a deal and that they both wanted to get it done before free agency. My guess is the Pats tried floating that out there to try to pressure Welker into a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread