What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Wes Welker to Walk? (1 Viewer)

If this happens, are Boston fans gonna cry that Welker is traitor for going to the enemy, like they did with Ray Allen, Johnny Damon, etc.?
I can't speak for everybody, but I will.only I'll be cryin' he's a traitah.
I live in Colorado, Denver fans have this huge complex about Boston. It's weird. So bitter. Buddy of mine is a huge Denver sports fan, always yapping about Boston fans. Strange.

If this happens, are Boston fans gonna cry that Welker is traitor for going to the enemy, like they did with Ray Allen, Johnny Damon, etc.?
I live in Colorado, Denver fans have this huge complex about Boston. It's weird. So bitter. Buddy of mine is a huge Denver sports fan, always yapping about Boston fans. Strange.
really??or are you ####### with me?

really??or are you ####### with me?
No, really.That post from Ghost Rider didn't surprise me, at all. Denver fans somehow got a hair on their keister about Boston fans. I mean, even more than other fans dislike Boston fans. No idea when they were wronged so badly.

if you want to tell me about the % of guys who produced or didn't produce @34, don't show me a population of all nfl receivers -- show me the list populated by those who put up 100+/1300+/6+ @31 and we'll see how they fared @34.
It's easier to use fantasy points. Accorind to the historical data dominator, I looked at each age for WR and included anyone that played at least 1 game in a season at that age. I started in 1978, the first year with 16 games. Each age has how many receivers that have played a season at that age since 1978 . . . and how many hit 150 fantasy points in a season (0 ppr).21: 2/36 = 5.6%22: 13/317 = 4.123: 26/719 = 3.624: 38/836 = 4.525: 51/763 = 6.726: 52/675 = 7.727: 51/556 = 9.228: 43/458 = 9.429: 37/380 = 9.730: 35/293 = 11.931: 26/227 = 11.532: 17/163 = 10.433: 9/108 = 8.334: 12/73 = 16.435: 6/53 = 11.336: 1/31 = 3.237: 1/18 = 5.638: 0/7 = 039: 1/3 = 33.340: 1/1 = 100.041: 0/1 = 042: 0/1 = 0

I will never understand this move. They franchised him last year instead of locking him up for 2-3 years. And now after it's clear they absolutely need him back, they offer him 2 years at $5 Million per? That's Brian Hartline money which is laughable. Good for Welker. He deserved to be treated better than this.

if you want to tell me about the % of guys who produced or didn't produce @34, don't show me a population of all nfl receivers -- show me the list populated by those who put up 100+/1300+/6+ @31 and we'll see how they fared @34.
It's easier to use fantasy points. Accorind to the historical data dominator, I looked at each age for WR and included anyone that played at least 1 game in a season at that age. I started in 1978, the first year with 16 games. Each age has how many receivers that have played a season at that age since 1978 . . . and how many hit 150 fantasy points in a season (0 ppr).21: 2/36 = 5.6%22: 13/317 = 4.123: 26/719 = 3.624: 38/836 = 4.525: 51/763 = 6.726: 52/675 = 7.727: 51/556 = 9.228: 43/458 = 9.429: 37/380 = 9.730: 35/293 = 11.931: 26/227 = 11.532: 17/163 = 10.433: 9/108 = 8.334: 12/73 = 16.435: 6/53 = 11.336: 1/31 = 3.237: 1/18 = 5.638: 0/7 = 039: 1/3 = 33.340: 1/1 = 100.041: 0/1 = 042: 0/1 = 0
You can make the same type of age argument for Brady. He is also in unchartered waters.

'David Dodds said:
I will never understand this move. They franchised him last year instead of locking him up for 2-3 years. And now after it's clear they absolutely need him back, they offer him 2 years at $5 Million per? That's Brian Hartline money which is laughable. Good for Welker. He deserved to be treated better than this.
I agree with most of what you said, but I am not sure about the "absolutely need him back" part. Also makes you wonder why 30 other teams didn't really want Welker either.

'David Dodds said:
I agree with most of what you said, but I am not sure about the "absolutely need him back" part.Also makes you wonder why 30 other teams didn't really want Welker either.
You really think no one else would have put in a bid? I kind of doubt that absolute top dollar was Welker's main priority here. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to go to Cleveland or Arizona and suck for a few extra million.

'David Dodds said:
I agree with most of what you said, but I am not sure about the "absolutely need him back" part.Also makes you wonder why 30 other teams didn't really want Welker either.
You really think no one else would have put in a bid? I kind of doubt that absolute top dollar was Welker's main priority here. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to go to Cleveland or Arizona and suck for a few extra million.
It sounded like only 2 or 3 teams had much interest in Welker. One of them was MIA, and they basically were out when they signed Wallace and resigned Hartline.

Last edited by a moderator:
'David Dodds said:
'Anarchy99 said:
You can make the same type of age argument for Brady. He is also in unchartered waters.
pretty sure it's uncharted waters

FAIL:

lol @ Broncos fans thinking Welker makes you better. Forehead can't win in the cold in January, Welker drops balls when it counts the most in the playoffs. A weaker D and a need for an RB and you spend all your money on an aging slot guy? No thanks.
Broncos fan huh?Patriots get younger, faster, and better hands in Amendola while the Broncos get an aging star that is on the decline and can't hold on to the ball when it counts. As a Pats fan, how can you NOT love this? Welker will be an afterthought come October.

FAIL:

lol @ Broncos fans thinking Welker makes you better. Forehead can't win in the cold in January, Welker drops balls when it counts the most in the playoffs. A weaker D and a need for an RB and you spend all your money on an aging slot guy? No thanks.
Broncos fan huh?Patriots get younger, faster, and better hands in Amendola while the Broncos get an aging star that is on the decline and can't hold on to the ball when it counts. As a Pats fan, how can you NOT love this? Welker will be an afterthought come October.
Games played the past two years - 12 vs. 32 (37 including the playoffs).

Report: Tom Brady source irked by Wes Welker move

By Dan Hanzus

Around the League Writer

Let the fallout begin for the New England Patriots.

Wide receiver Wes Welker heading to the Denver Broncos was momentous news in its own right. The fact that Welker walked out the door for the positively modest sum of $12 million over two years takes this story to another level.

A short time after news of Welker's defection broke Wednesday, Tom Curran of Comcast SportsNet New England reported that he spoke to a Tom Brady source, who is "beyond enraged" at the terms of Welker's deal. The words "disgrace" and "disservice" also were used.

It's important to note that those words are attributed to a person close to Brady, not the Patriots quarterback himself. Still, it's easy to imagine Brady being extremely frustrated by how this process played out, especially after he restructured his contract last month to give the Patriots salary-cap room.

Yahoo! Sports columnist Michael Silver connected with another Brady source, who said the quarterback "will feel like he's been pierced in the heart." Brady currently is out of the country on vacation, according to Silver.

"He's got so much pressure on his shoulders now -- again," the person close to Brady told Silver. "If the offense doesn't perform at a high level, they're screwed. This is unbelievable. It's hard not to feel like they've sold him out."

The Patriots didn't wait long to replace Welker, enticing wide receiver Danny Amendola to agree to a five-year, $31 million contract on Wednesday afternoon. Brady wasn't sold out. The Patriots just were finished being in the Wes Welker business.

Really? That seems weird. The Broncos/Pats have had some great games over the years, but aren't exactly huge rivals (except in the sense now that Brady/Manning is always a huge game).Also, longtime Broncos fan here, but am not from Denver.

As a post script to Welker leaving NE, I have concluded that Welker going to Denver was a fait accompli and that the Pats had little to no chance to re-sign him. I have heard (unofficially) from people that attended the last Bruins Stanley Cup game in a luxury box with Welker, that his wife was the driving force in him moving on to DEN. Welker recently got married (before the start of last season) and his wife is from Colorado (they got married in Aspen). It sounds like she urged / demanded / insisted that he play for the Broncos. This was not the first time I had heard that that was a possibility. We can debate how much influence a wife has or should have on an athlete picking a team, but it sounds like she had an above average influence in this particular case. That helps explain what happened, and IMO, somewhat gets NE a pass on not being able to retain Welker's services.

As a post script to Welker leaving NE, I have concluded that Welker going to Denver was a fait accompli and that the Pats had little to no chance to re-sign him. I have heard (unofficially) from people that attended the last Bruins Stanley Cup game in a luxury box with Welker, that his wife was the driving force in him moving on to DEN. Welker recently got married (before the start of last season) and his wife is from Colorado (they got married in Aspen). It sounds like she urged / demanded / insisted that he play for the Broncos. This was not the first time I had heard that that was a possibility. We can debate how much influence a wife has or should have on an athlete picking a team, but it sounds like she had an above average influence in this particular case. That helps explain what happened, and IMO, somewhat gets NE a pass on not being able to retain Welker's services.
had to google her so i could give an opinion on the decision.. good for him. shes a hotty

Thanks for posting but I'm not buying.

His wife along with the presence of Peyton Manning might have been major contributing factors to Welker reaching out to Denver as his next preferred option but if the money was right he never would have left. I believe the wishes of the wife are far more trivial to the fact Welker felt disrespected both from the meager contract numbers NE was offering and fact that it appeared the gameplan in 2012 was to rely less on Wes, until injuries took away that option. A point which probably only made Welker feel even more justified in his salary demands in that while NE tried to move to an offense featuring the TE's and more Edelman all of those guys eventually got hurt and failed to be available while as usual he was always was.

I honestly don't see how Welker could not be more than a little stung about how NE went about his role early last year and hardball contract stance. You take into account his wifes wishes and chance to play on SB contender with Peyton Manning and it's a perfect spot in so much he gets to play with a HOF level QB, compete for a SB, play in wifes hometown in a region closer to where Welker is from and be in a position to stick it to NE who he no doubts feel did not value him enough.

Still I'll say all of that and add if NE had paid him what he wanted he'd still be a Patriot.

His wife along with the presence of Peyton Manning might have been major contributing factors to Welker reaching out to Denver as his next preferred option but if the money was right he never would have left. I believe the wishes of the wife are far more trivial to the fact Welker felt disrespected both from the meager contract numbers NE was offering and fact that it appeared the gameplan in 2012 was to rely less on Wes, until injuries took away that option. A point which probably only made Welker feel even more justified in his salary demands in that while NE tried to move to an offense featuring the TE's and more Edelman all of those guys eventually got hurt and failed to be available while as usual he was always was.

I honestly don't see how Welker could not be more than a little stung about how NE went about his role early last year and hardball contract stance. You take into account his wifes wishes and chance to play on SB contender with Peyton Manning and it's a perfect spot in so much he gets to play with a HOF level QB, compete for a SB, play in wifes hometown in a region closer to where Welker is from and be in a position to stick it to NE who he no doubts feel did not value him enough.

Still I'll say all of that and add if NE had paid him what he wanted he'd still be a Patriot.
He turned down $4 million more from NE over 2 years to go to DEN.

That statement has never been veriifed by Welker,his agents, or anyone in his camp. That's Krafts take and he's counting total incentives into the package. Welkers agents have stated when he got the offer from Denver he went back to NE to get them to match their offer and Kraft informed Wes personally that they had already moved on to Amendola.

So you can believe what you want to believe but from Krafts own mouth they guarnteed in this two year deal were only $10 million and per Welkers agents it was the Pats who declined the Denver offer and effectively shut the door on his NE career.

No matter who you believe does not sound like a guy who was not willing to go back to NE if his contract demands were not met.

That statement has never been veriifed by Welker,his agents, or anyone in his camp. That's Krafts take and he's counting total incentives into the package. Welkers agents have stated when he got the offer from Denver he went back to NE to get them to match their offer and Kraft informed Wes personally that they had already moved on to Amendola.

So you can believe what you want to believe but from Krafts own mouth they guarnteed in this two year deal were only $10 million and per Welkers agents it was the Pats who declined the Denver offer and effectively shut the door on his NE career.

No matter who you believe does not sound like a guy who was not willing to go back to NE if his contract demands were not met.
If NE wanted him, he'd still be there. The writing was on the wall with the franchising the prior year and the lack of long term contract discussions. The Pats of course want to make it sound like they did everything they could from a PR POV since he was a popular player. I'm sure the Pats would like a do-over button now seeing how this offseason has played out....

I agree. That $4m was based on 4 incentives each worth $1m.

1300 yards in 2014.

Pro Bowl starter in 2014.

All Pro both years.

1500 yards both years.

If I had to give odds on those, I give him a 50-50 shot on the first.

Probably 3-1 dog on the second (he's only been a PB starter once).

All Pro, if 2nd team counts, maybe about 5-1 against. If it's just 1st team I'd call him a 15-1 dog.

And I'd make him a 15-1 dog on putting up back to back career seasons.

So my expected value for him on those incentives is probably $1m or less.

I agree. That $4m was based on 4 incentives each worth $1m.

1300 yards in 2014.

Pro Bowl starter in 2014.

All Pro both years.

1500 yards both years.

If I had to give odds on those, I give him a 50-50 shot on the first.

Probably 3-1 dog on the second (he's only been a PB starter once).

All Pro, if 2nd team counts, maybe about 5-1 against. If it's just 1st team I'd call him a 15-1 dog.

And I'd make him a 15-1 dog on putting up back to back career seasons.

So my expected value for him on those incentives is probably $1m or less.
that tells you all you need to know when they are putting out misleading info like that. They should have beefed it up a bit and given him $5 mill for league MVP and $10 mill if he got league MVP in both years.

Just acquired Wes Welker in one league for Sudfeld, 2 2nd's and 4 3rd's. what should I expect for #'s? Hoping for something like 75 950 5

Just acquired Wes Welker in one league for Sudfeld, 2 2nd's and 4 3rd's. what should I expect for #'s? Hoping for something like 75 950 5
Your guess is as good as anyone's, IMO. I can see anything from 70/800/5 to 90/1000/8. He's worth the price you paid for a contender but I don't think you can bank on anything more than mid-WR2 numbers.

Thanks for bumping this. Some funny comments here. Shows you how much the dweebs on this web site trying knows. Welker is my must start every week, cept bye.

LOL at all the Pats homers who kept arguing with me preseason that Glassmandola was the smart move. I said then and I'll say it now, DUMB!

I way underestimated Welker this year. He has looked awesome. The setup is so perfect for him - QB that loves to throw short/mid-range passes with outside receivers that require extra attention too. I like how they've used him further downfield up the seams too.

It only takes one team to pay what a player wants, and I believe there will be an NFL team that will give Welker close to what he wants. It will come down to whether Welker is more in it for the money than playing on a team with a legit chance to win (whether that be NE or another team).
I think the loss of Welker would hurt NE. Other than the TEs, they really haven't done a good job of integrating WRs into that offense.I think Welker (like most guys) would take the big payday. But who knows? Maybe he is comfortable with the Pats? Maybe his time in Miami was frustrating? As someone else said, will somebody pony up (yes, bronco pun) for a 32 year old receiver with mileage? This one will be fun to watch.
IMO it's best for both Welker and the Pats for him to stay. While Welker could get more money elsewhere he should be able to get very good money from the Pats. 5 years/$45M with $25M guaranteed (basically a little less than $30M for 3 years) seems like a deal that could work for everybody.
megalol
Still megalol?

It only takes one team to pay what a player wants, and I believe there will be an NFL team that will give Welker close to what he wants. It will come down to whether Welker is more in it for the money than playing on a team with a legit chance to win (whether that be NE or another team).
I think the loss of Welker would hurt NE. Other than the TEs, they really haven't done a good job of integrating WRs into that offense.I think Welker (like most guys) would take the big payday. But who knows? Maybe he is comfortable with the Pats? Maybe his time in Miami was frustrating? As someone else said, will somebody pony up (yes, bronco pun) for a 32 year old receiver with mileage? This one will be fun to watch.
IMO it's best for both Welker and the Pats for him to stay. While Welker could get more money elsewhere he should be able to get very good money from the Pats. 5 years/$45M with $25M guaranteed (basically a little less than $30M for 3 years) seems like a deal that could work for everybody.
megalol
Still megalol?
If he was laughing at the contract part, yes.

Welker gets no respect for being able to make the tough catches - and most importantly - not get hurt.

cstu said:
Welker is easily worth 3 years/$30M.
Then NFL disagrees.

I agree that he's underrated, but the contract you thought he should be able to get from NE was more than double what he ended up getting from the "highest bidder".

cstu said:
Then NFL disagrees.

I agree that he's underrated, but the contract you thought he should be able to get from NE was more than double what he ended up getting from the "highest bidder".
The market isn't good for slot receivers but Welker, that much is obvious. However, it's very possible the Pats would be undefeated right now had they paid Welker a little more (not necessarily what I was suggesting) instead of signing an extremely injury prone guy to replace him.

cstu said:
Then NFL disagrees.I agree that he's underrated, but the contract you thought he should be able to get from NE was more than double what he ended up getting from the "highest bidder".
The market isn't good for slot receivers but Welker, that much is obvious. However, it's very possible the Pats would be undefeated right now had they paid Welker a little more (not necessarily what I was suggesting) instead of signing an extremely injury prone guy to replace him.
I also kind of doubt he was just going out looking to make the most $$$ full stop. He didn't go on tour or anything -- just Denver and NE IIRC. Makes it look like playing with the right QB and a chance at a ring were as important, if not moreso, than just cashing in.

cstu said:
Then NFL disagrees.

I agree- I think it was foolish for them to let him go, especially for what he ended up getting. I think they outsmart themselves a lot of time.

Again, I was just pointing out that the other poster may have thought your contract ideas were laughable (which they turned out to be).

Users who are viewing this thread