What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (8 Viewers)

Can a few folks report in on the quality of espn 3? Is it something that could be played on a 40" tv or is it strictly for laptop viewing? In my area, only Verizon isp provides it and I currently have cablevision.

can't do it as a sports and financial news fan.no cnbc, no tennis channel, no tnt/tbs for baseball and nba, no espn or espn 2forget it.if i didn't want to watch those things, i wouldn't need a TV really at all.
fwiw all espn channels are now available for viewing on their website
i know about espn 3, but you're telling me you can watch mnf through their website?I am sure the day is coming where sports fans will be able to cut the cable cord also as most content becomes "on demand", but right now I think its a few years off.I'm actually helping a non-sports fan friend do this project right now... he's doing roku, netflix, hulu, and getting an hd antenna.But honestly as much as I dislike paying the cable/innernet/phone co. $1500-1700 a year, it's not really jamming me up.

Where can you get internet for $20?
Apparently in fantasy land where all the FBGs live and I have never visited.If you only want internet without buying any other service around here...$59.99/month
google clear wireless 4g
We're Sorry! CLEAR service is not available in your area yet.Central NJ BTW
Even my Time Warner internet is about 30% cheaper than you are paying. It isn't that everyone else lives in fantasy land it's that you are paying a lot.

Even my Time Warner internet is about 30% cheaper than you are paying. It isn't that everyone else lives in fantasy land it's that you are paying a lot.
He might be paying for higher speeds. For instance I pay for optimum online boost which is 65, but I get 30 down. W/o boost its 50 and that's excluding the $5 discount I get for having cable as well which I'll soon be dropping once college bball season ends. Another option for those that want cable to watch HD football is to just keep it during football season and drop it the rest of the year.

can't do it as a sports and financial news fan.no cnbc, no tennis channel, no tnt/tbs for baseball and nba, no espn or espn 2forget it.if i didn't want to watch those things, i wouldn't need a TV really at all.
i know about espn 3, but you're telling me you can watch mnf through their website?I am sure the day is coming where sports fans will be able to cut the cable cord also as most content becomes "on demand", but right now I think its a few years off.I'm actually helping a non-sports fan friend do this project right now... he's doing roku, netflix, hulu, and getting an hd antenna.But honestly as much as I dislike paying the cable/innernet/phone co. $1500-1700 a year, it's not really jamming me up.
I would have jumped off the cable bandwagon a lot earlier if not for my issue with losing sports. I tried streaming ESPN3 through Playon on my roku, and it was extremely choppy. If need be, I watch ESPN 3 on my laptop, but it is far from ideal. I am really hoping ESPN smartens up and makes a pay station on roku/xbox/playstation . . .etc. I would gladly pay 10 bucks a month for ESPN programming streamed to my tv, and I am sure I am not alone.But I still get my sports fix outside of the regular channels. Last year I subscribed to MLB.tv (which has a roku channel). It was about 100 bucks. I loved it (although some say their reception was inconsistent). UFC also has a channel and you can stream pay per views from their I believe.

But honestly as much as I dislike paying the cable/innernet/phone co. $1500-1700 a year, it's not really jamming me up.
For me, it was the fact I couldn't stand paying 75 bucks a month (when you factor taxes/receivers. . . etc) for basically ESPN/YES/NESN. Cable companies better smarten up and start offering true ala carte pricing, because I think with the increase of online content, and online streaming devices, cable is going to lose a ton of customers. Once ESPN wakes up and gets with the program, offering 10 bucks a month for streaming services, cable is in real trouble. I miss ESPN, but really, nothing else.

He might be paying for higher speeds. For instance I pay for optimum online boost which is 65, but I get 30 down. W/o boost its 50 and that's excluding the $5 discount I get for having cable as well which I'll soon be dropping once college bball season ends. Another option for those that want cable to watch HD football is to just keep it during football season and drop it the rest of the year.
I get better than T1 speeds up and down. Of course 30 is a lot but I don't download enough to make that kind of expenditure worth it.

I get better than T1 speeds up and down. Of course 30 is a lot but I don't download enough to make that kind of expenditure worth it.
Yeah, its a bit of a luxury for me. I download pretty much everything I watch from newsgroups (kind of like torrents, but a lot safer) and I like the luxury of thinking of a movie I'd like to watch and being able to download that movie in like 25 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, its a bit of a luxury for me. I download pretty much everything I watch from newsgroups (kind of like torrents, but a lot safer) and I like the luxury of thinking of a movie I'd like to watch and being able to download that movie in like 25 minutes.
Yeah that is pretty good.

I've got about 18 months left on my DTV contract, but while that runs out (or at least, while I run a few more months off the cancellation fee), I'm going to see if I can evaluate going this route. We have already dumped the land line for cell phones. I have one InternetTV with a built in ATSC tuner. I have a PS3 for a second TV (and a basic PlayOn account), but I'm going to have to evaluate what I'd use for the 3rd TV (possibly Roku) and the OTA content for both tv2 and tv3.

DVR will be a must for me. I found this thread from '09 on AVS forum, but I'm still looking for something more current. I would sorely miss the whole home DVR.

Someone needs to come out with a Roku like device, add an ATSC tuner, DVR functionality and network capability. You would need 1 base unit with the DVR and secondary receivers would access it through the network (exactly like ATT and DTV function now). Both the base unit and secondary receivers should have ATSC tuners and internetTV functionality.

ETA - if you develop such a device before my DTV contract runs out, I don't even want any royalties for the idea.

Someone needs to come out with a Roku like device, add an ATSC tuner, DVR functionality and network capability. You would need 1 base unit with the DVR and secondary receivers would access it through the network (exactly like ATT and DTV function now). Both the base unit and secondary receivers should have ATSC tuners and internetTV functionality.ETA - if you develop such a device before my DTV contract runs out, I don't even want any royalties for the idea.
This is the dream, combine a TiVo, with a Roku, with a device that can play media stored on a networked computer and you have something that cable companies should legitimately fear. Right now, the closest thing is a Boxee Box, it has the Roku features + playing networked media, I ordered one that should be here Tuesday ... I hope it lives up to the hype. Add a DVR into a Boxee Box and make it easy enough for my wife to use and I'll pay a mint for it.

For me, it was the fact I couldn't stand paying 75 bucks a month (when you factor taxes/receivers. . . etc) for basically ESPN/YES/NESN. Cable companies better smarten up and start offering true ala carte pricing, because I think with the increase of online content, and online streaming devices, cable is going to lose a ton of customers. Once ESPN wakes up and gets with the program, offering 10 bucks a month for streaming services, cable is in real trouble. I miss ESPN, but really, nothing else.
I've always been under the impression (and I have no idea if this is true) that the a la carte costs wouldn't be much different than the current pricing because it costs the cable companies significantly more to provide the more popular channels like ESPN than it does the channels that don't get as much play (like, say, G4).

I've always been under the impression (and I have no idea if this is true) that the a la carte costs wouldn't be much different than the current pricing because it costs the cable companies significantly more to provide the more popular channels like ESPN than it does the channels that don't get as much play (like, say, G4).
Popular channels do charge the cable companies more, and you can expect that they'll charge a higher than average ala carte fee. You're still likely to save $ if you don't need a lot of channels.

Where can you get internet for $20?
Apparently in fantasy land where all the FBGs live and I have never visited.If you only want internet without buying any other service around here...$59.99/month
google clear wireless 4g
We're Sorry! CLEAR service is not available in your area yet.Central NJ BTW
I am not paying that number, but the price for internet only is bumped up from the price you get for tv and internet combined. I am using a negotiated promo price with Comcast thru the retention dept, where I am only paying $20/month for my normal speed cable internet at the moment. However, the number I quoted was the internet only pricing they charge and I am sure that you can't get a retention deal on that when it is the only service that you have.

Someone needs to come out with a Roku like device, add an ATSC tuner, DVR functionality and network capability. You would need 1 base unit with the DVR and secondary receivers would access it through the network (exactly like ATT and DTV function now). Both the base unit and secondary receivers should have ATSC tuners and internetTV functionality.

ETA - if you develop such a device before my DTV contract runs out, I don't even want any royalties for the idea.
This is the dream, combine a TiVo, with a Roku, with a device that can play media stored on a networked computer and you have something that cable companies should legitimately fear. Right now, the closest thing is a Boxee Box, it has the Roku features + playing networked media, I ordered one that should be here Tuesday ... I hope it lives up to the hype. Add a DVR into a Boxee Box and make it easy enough for my wife to use and I'll pay a mint for it.
This Tivo seems to almost fit the bill (just missing the whole home feature), but the monthly subscription is expensive imo.

still think the best deal is just share a DTV account with one of your buddies and split the cost, hell you could even do it with 3 people. My cousin has had two of my DTV boxes for almost 5 years with no problem.

Is there a simple Tivo or DVR equivalent solution for network shows that you watch with OTA antenna?
If you have a Mac, you can use the Elgato EyeTv.
Solutions if I don't have a Mac? (Other than - buy a Mac)
Beats me. VCR? Ha! I love having the Mac hooked up to the TV though and it pays for itself in a months. You can find refurbished ones for $400 or so.
:blackdot:any tips? heading to demo noid

This Tivo seems to almost fit the bill (just missing the whole home feature), but the monthly subscription is expensive imo.
$20/mo for hardware, 1 year contract and in-software ads ... meh. TiVo can't play media stored on a network right (say I back up my DVDs to a computer and want to watch it on the TiVo)? TiVo disappoints me because they could've dominated, but they just lacked the proper management. They had the iPhone of DVRs and sat around for years until the competition caught up instead of driving forward and dominating the market.

I have two questions for the people that are doing this to save money:

1. Do you drink?

2. Do you smoke?

I have two questions for the people that are doing this to save money:1. Do you drink?2. Do you smoke?
So if you do either of those things there is nothing else you can do to save money? Now I don't do either personally but I don't see what possible difference it makes.

$20/mo for hardware, 1 year contract and in-software ads ... meh. TiVo can't play media stored on a network right (say I back up my DVDs to a computer and want to watch it on the TiVo)? TiVo disappoints me because they could've dominated, but they just lacked the proper management. They had the iPhone of DVRs and sat around for years until the competition caught up instead of driving forward and dominating the market.
That part isn't as important to me (both my samsung internetTV and my PS3 will pick up the shared media), but I agree that the ultimate box should include it.

Two dumb questions as I try to understand this stuff:

1. Is Roku pronounced Rock-You?

2. Does Hulu only show NBC programming?

:blackdot:any tips? heading to demo noid
Are you talking about where to download stuff? I haven't ventured into that realm yet but I plan to do a little research soon to find the best places. I mostly just stream stuff right now and I use clicker.com to find out where to find what I want to watch.

still think the best deal is just share a DTV account with one of your buddies and split the cost, hell you could even do it with 3 people. My cousin has had two of my DTV boxes for almost 5 years with no problem.
No, the best deal is to get in a time-machine to 1998 where H-Cards were prevalent and you can have Channels 555-600 for free day and night.

It would take a lot for me to give up directv....but something like this is definitely a step in the right direction

BloombergGoogle’s YouTube in Talks to Stream NBA, NHL Games LiveFebruary 23, 2011, 12:47 PM ESTBy Jun YangFeb. 23 (Bloomberg) -- Google Inc.’s YouTube is in talks with the National Basketball Association and the National Hockey League to show live games, building on the popularity of cricket’s Indian Premier League last year, a Google executive said.YouTube aims to show more live sports in the second half of the year, said Gautam Anand, Google’s director of content partnerships for Asia Pacific, in an interview in Seoul yesterday. Google is in talks with “most pro sports leagues” including the NBA and NHL, as well as soccer leagues in Europe, Brian Suh, head of YouTube Partnership at Google’s Korean unit, said separately.Adding live sports broadcasts may help YouTube expand revenue by keeping viewers on its site longer to woo more advertisers. YouTube’s contract to show cricket from the Indian Premier League, which gives the Google unit a share of ad revenue from games and the league’s website, brought in 55 million visits from more than 250 countries, Anand said.“It’s fair to say that there will be a lot more appealing sports content you’ll see on YouTube,” Anand said. “We have ongoing conversations with pretty much everyone.”NHL spokesman Michael DiLorenzo said in a telephone interview that the league is not in talks to stream live games over YouTube, nor has it been in discussions about it.Michael Bass, senior vice president for marketing communications at the NBA, said, “We’re pleased that YouTube recognizes the value of live sports.”Live StreamingGoogle shares dropped 3.2 percent to $610.21 in Nasdaq trading yesterday.Where new live-streaming services will be offered depends on each deal, said Lois Kim, a spokeswoman for Google Korea. YouTube streams Major League Baseball games in Japan, where major TV broadcasters don’t feature the sporting events.One of the key goals for YouTube this year is to offer longer clips of movies and shows under the lead of former Netflix Inc. executive Robert Kyncl, Anand said. Google also hired Claude Ruibal, former chief executive and chairman of Universal Sports, as the head of sports content partnerships for YouTube this year to boost sports content, Anand said.Google, which runs the world’s most used Internet search engine, paid $1.65 billion to buy YouTube in 2006. YouTube competes with premium-content site Hulu LLC and rental service Netflix.Indian LeagueDuring the Indian Premier League broadcast, viewers spent on average 40 minutes watching each match, he said. The company needs to do more to keep its viewers on the site for longer than the average daily 15-minute session, compared with the multiple hours consumers spend in front of televisions, according to Hunter Walk, director of product management at YouTube.“One of the good things about IPL was that it really proved to a lot of sports leagues that broad-scale live- streaming type of exercise is something that’s possible,” Anand said. “They took notice of IPL and have come to us, and entered into a lot more serious discussions.”Google is also trying to offer more live-streamed video clips in music, such as concerts, Anand said.YouTube is running advertisements on videos more than 3 billion times a week, a 50 percent increase from May, Shishir Mehrotra, director of product management at YouTube, said this month.--With assistance from Brian Womack in San Francisco and Eben Novy-Williams in New York. Editors: Anand Krishnamoorthy, Young- Sam Cho.

LOVE the Roku. I've slowly been assembling all the pieces to cut the cord as well. Just need additional storage for the HTPC and a HDHomerun unit, and I think I'll be set...

I'm in the process of doing this myself. Was going to mount the antenna on the roof this weekend but it was really windy on Saturday and rained all day on Sunday. With an antenna on the roof we'll be able to get all of the networks in HD for free. If I don't fall of the roof and kill myself next weekend I'll post an update. Once we get the antenna up, we're going to use a computer for a DVR and also for access to hulu to pick up any shows that we watch that are not on nework tv.

I bought this RCA antenna, but I only really got two channels to come in clearly so I returned it. Did I buy the wrong antenna? Can anyone recommend one?
I bought this one:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Terk+-+Omnidirectional+Amplified+UHF/VHF+Indoor+Antenna+-+Gloss+Black/9415215.p?id=1218101178216&skuId=9415215&cmp=RMX&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9415215

It's not perfect, but I get about 20+ channels. I live in the city though.
So is antenna like this needed for every TV or can one antenna be used for multiple TV's?

I bought this RCA antenna, but I only really got two channels to come in clearly so I returned it. Did I buy the wrong antenna? Can anyone recommend one?
I bought this one:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Terk+-+Omnidirectional+Amplified+UHF/VHF+Indoor+Antenna+-+Gloss+Black/9415215.p?id=1218101178216&skuId=9415215&cmp=RMX&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=9415215

So is antenna like this needed for every TV or can one antenna be used for multiple TV's?
One can be used for as many as you can possibly connect.

Yup, I have two TV's hooked up to one using a cable wire splitter. Reception is fine on both.

I did this 7 years ago. This isn't so much a "look at me" post because it was a lot harder back then and more of a lifestyle/cheapass choice. No netflix streaming, amazon on demand, and most tv shows were not available online (except illegally.) Started out with the 5 dvd's at a time netflix plan and burned thru a lot of tv shows and movies early on. As the years passed, I dropped down the number of dvd's out at a time pretty quickly. With the explosion in content on netflix streaming and free on the web the last few years I am down to only 1 at a time that I use for things I don't want to wait on.

Rabbit ears pick up all my local stations and broadcast all my Texans football games. The rare times I want to watch a game on espn or nfl network, there's always the local bar or spending some time at a friends house. I have amazon prime so I'm interested in seeing how their streaming ends up working, plus I have a laptop I can plug into my tv to watch any of the streaming websites online. Just got a PS3 so I'm curious to see if I can do hulu+ or amazon on demand on it.

Amazing how much you can save over the years/months, but I'm afraid it's gotten so popular/easy to do this that there are already rumblings to change the availability. A lot of content providers are going to stop making recent episodes available online for free, some have already dropped it down to only 1 episode at a time now.

I think you are going to see more exclusive deals in the future with netflix, hulu & amazon to have expanded and more recent content (yay!), but at a much more increased monthly subscription cost. (boo!) Or the 30 second commercial breaks with free online streaming (like abc's website) will change to the regular 3~4 minutes of commercials like regular television.

I bought this one:http://www.bestbuy.c...&ci_sku=9415215

there is a limit, you can only split it so many times. how many depends on a lot of variables.

i never thought two years ago that i could ever conceive of going without cable tv. i will be moving in the summer and have given serious thought to dropping cable. but then i'll want to watch a baseball game ... or the nfl season will start.

i work nights, so the dvr is a great asset. i tape several hours of TV per night to watch when i get home. yes, it's too much but it isn't as much as it once was.

i honestly have no idea what i pay for our 'triple play' from verizon these days. i'm sure it as at least $200. wife cancelled skinemax and hbo today and replaced it with showtime (which must be free).

i missed a tv show last week and watched it on the computer. it was crap because i have a 47-inch flat screen. why do i want to lose cable and waste that beautiful picture.

i never thought two years ago that i could ever conceive of going without cable tv. i will be moving in the summer and have given serious thought to dropping cable. but then i'll want to watch a baseball game ... or the nfl season will start. i work nights, so the dvr is a great asset. i tape several hours of TV per night to watch when i get home. yes, it's too much but it isn't as much as it once was. i honestly have no idea what i pay for our 'triple play' from verizon these days. i'm sure it as at least $200. wife cancelled skinemax and hbo today and replaced it with showtime (which must be free). i missed a tv show last week and watched it on the computer. it was crap because i have a 47-inch flat screen. why do i want to lose cable and waste that beautiful picture.
As long as you can get a high quality feed on the computer, you can route that to the TV. I don't know how many of these streaming places (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu) offer HD, though.ETA - Also, what TV shows do you watch? Network or Cable? Can you pull in OTA signals? If so, there are currently DVR options, but they require a monthly fee (Tivo), don't have a tv schedule built in, or require some configuring (pc based dvr).

Amazing how much you can save over the years/months, but I'm afraid it's gotten so popular/easy to do this that there are already rumblings to change the availability. A lot of content providers are going to stop making recent episodes available online for free, some have already dropped it down to only 1 episode at a time now.I think you are going to see more exclusive deals in the future with netflix, hulu & amazon to have expanded and more recent content (yay!), but at a much more increased monthly subscription cost. (boo!) Or the 30 second commercial breaks with free online streaming (like abc's website) will change to the regular 3~4 minutes of commercials like regular television.
Pretty much how I feel things are going to shake out. The method of delivery may change from yesteryear, but in the long run, you're still going to end up paying for it. Enjoy the ride while it lasts until the cable companies, networks, and all those involved figure out their max profit potential.

Users who are viewing this thread