What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (3 Viewers)

I cannot stress this enough the Obi110 may potentially be the best purchase I have ever made.It's easy enough that the wife can use it. Took less than 5 minutes to setup and is flawless in quality. I've used vonage before and this is so far and away better than vonage it's ridiculous.
Would something like this be useful for someone (my parents) who dont want to drop their landline phone # because they've had it for decades but really dont use it much anymore? I'm really pushing the OTA setup for them but the stupid LL phone # (bundled with their cable package) is a major roadblock.Or do I simply need to learn about google voice?
If they can port their home number to a cell phone they can get their cell phone number ported to google voice. I did not do this step as I wanted a clean break with my landline number. There are many that will walk you through that process though.

I cannot stress this enough the Obi110 may potentially be the best purchase I have ever made.It's easy enough that the wife can use it. Took less than 5 minutes to setup and is flawless in quality. I've used vonage before and this is so far and away better than vonage it's ridiculous.
How does Obi110 work? You connect it to your network router and can add phone (LAN line) to it? Will it allow your cell phone number to ring on a house phone, or something like that? I've never used Vonage, but am interested in something like this as an alternative to a lan line.

How does Obi110 work? You connect it to your network router and can add phone (LAN line) to it? Will it allow your cell phone number to ring on a house phone, or something like that? I've never used Vonage, but am interested in something like this as an alternative to a lan line.
Some of this depends on your cell phone provider. If someone calls your GV number it will ring all your house phones + whatever cell phones you also enable. If someone calls your cell phone it won't necessarily ring your house phones unless you set up your cell phone to forward to GV by default. note:If you are having an affair or something this may not prove to be the best course of action.You can also make it time sensitive to which phones ring when. I have my work phone to not let GV calls through during the work day.

I cannot stress this enough the Obi110 may potentially be the best purchase I have ever made.

It's easy enough that the wife can use it. Took less than 5 minutes to setup and is flawless in quality.

I've used vonage before and this is so far and away better than vonage it's ridiculous.
Some of this depends on your cell phone provider. If someone calls your GV number it will ring all your house phones + whatever cell phones you also enable. If someone calls your cell phone it won't necessarily ring your house phones unless you set up your cell phone to forward to GV by default. note:If you are having an affair or something this may not prove to be the best course of action.You can also make it time sensitive to which phones ring when. I have my work phone to not let GV calls through during the work day.
Then it is a no-go for me. Just kidding... thanks for the info. I don't currently have a lan line and don't want one but I haven't looked much into Google Voice.

OK so i buy this thing, hook it into my home network and i can use my google voice number as basically a home phone line?
Precisely.
Thanks, just canceled my vonage yesterday, had it for 2 years and maybe used it 5 times, finally convinced the wife to can it.

Isn't there talk that Google Voice is going to start charging like Vonage, etc. in the not too distant future?
They have said it will be free at least till 2012. The use rate is still fairly low up to this thing you couldn't really use a home phone line in this manner, and calling out from a cell phone would use cell phone minutes and not GV. I was paying 30/month for a phone + taxes before. Even if it goes to 30/year I'm way ahead.

So how does this OBi110 work?

I buy it :)

I cancel my home phone

Hook it up into my telephone jack and router

Get a Google Voice number

program in my GV and cell phone numbers

when somebody calls my cell phone my house phone will ring (and vice versa)???

save $$$

How does this thing work with DSL?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, regarding the Roku and not having sports.

Can you use your xbox ESPN channel? Is that live and basically the same thing as regular ESPN?

How much is that?

So how does this OBi110 work?I buy it :) yesI cancel my home phone yesHook it up into my telephone jack and router yesGet a Google Voice number yesprogram in my GV and cell phone numbers yeswhen somebody calls my cell phone my house phone will ring (and vice versa)??? It would be easier to implement a setup where people called your GV number first. There are forwarding options which may make sense from your cell though.save $$$ yesHow does this thing work with DSL? works with any broadband

So how does this OBi110 work?I buy it :) yesI cancel my home phone yesHook it up into my telephone jack and router yesGet a Google Voice number yesprogram in my GV and cell phone numbers yeswhen somebody calls my cell phone my house phone will ring (and vice versa)??? It would be easier to implement a setup where people called your GV number first. There are forwarding options which may make sense from your cell though.save $$$ yesHow does this thing work with DSL? works with any broadband
Do I need to have a dry loop with DSL?Or should I just switch to majicjack? Is the quality/reliability of that good?

Do I need to have a dry loop with DSL?Or should I just switch to majicjack? Is the quality/reliability of that good?
I'm not sure what this refers to. Just run a connection from your router to the OBI. It is an internet connected device and needs a broadband connection.

OK, the video on the main Obi page makes it look not so cool, with it requiring someone else to have an Obi and a phone line that you're bridging through.

Am I correct that this isn't how FBGs are using it, and using Google Talk with it means you're not bridging through someone else?

Are there any fees with Obi?

With Magic Jack, you pay $40 initially, then $20/year after that, right?

Also, regarding the Roku and not having sports.Can you use your xbox ESPN channel? Is that live and basically the same thing as regular ESPN?How much is that?
Only thing I've seen on XBox is ESPN3. Seems to run live content, but the picture quality is downright dreadful. Not a serviceable replacement for HD. At all.

Can multiple people use Netflix streaming or Hulu Plus at the same time and watch different things?

OK, the video on the main Obi page makes it look not so cool, with it requiring someone else to have an Obi and a phone line that you're bridging through. Am I correct that this isn't how FBGs are using it, and using Google Talk with it means you're not bridging through someone else?Are there any fees with Obi?With Magic Jack, you pay $40 initially, then $20/year after that, right?
The only reason you would ever want to do that with an obi is if you knew someone that lived overseas.

Can multiple people use Netflix streaming or Hulu Plus at the same time and watch different things?
Yeah, I think it's up to 6 devices per account.
Do you have to register 6 specific devices or is it any 6 devices at one time? Say I have a combination of 8 TVs, laptops, and cell phones that could stream Netflix/Hulu Plus.... would I have to choose 6 specific devices to stream or can any of the 8 stream just as long as there is no more than 6 simultaneously?

Got rid of Hulu Plus today. I was barely using it. I have an antenna, so I get fox, nbc, cbs, and abc so there really was no need to join, in hindsight. Their movie selection was horrible.

I did sign up for mlb.tv again for 99 bucks, and I am watching a ton of games streamed to my roku. Well worth it for me to get my sports fix (essentially 15 bucks a month for the season).

Got rid of Hulu Plus today. I was barely using it. I have an antenna, so I get fox, nbc, cbs, and abc so there really was no need to join, in hindsight. Their movie selection was horrible.I did sign up for mlb.tv again for 99 bucks, and I am watching a ton of games streamed to my roku. Well worth it for me to get my sports fix (essentially 15 bucks a month for the season).
So is mlb.tv over roku only good for one TV?

The only reason we keep Hulu+ is to finish out Jersey Shore. Once that's over, we'll cancel.

It's really annoying that Hulu (owner is NBC?) hamstrings their own product to the point of customers canceling due to lack of content. Most of the stuff we want to watch says "Web Only" when we find them on Hulu+. :thumbdown:

That said, Netflix is absolute $$$.

I'm not sure what this refers to. Just run a connection from your router to the OBI. It is an internet connected device and needs a broadband connection.
A dry loop is basically DSL without phone. And you are correct, you will want a dry loop if you are cutting the phone service. But I do have to say that bandwidth may be a limiting factor with DSL. I had a dry loop coming to the house and had phone, satellite cut off. My DSL connection could not handle video, internet usage and phone going at the same time so I had to upgrade to cable. Cable is the preferred option if you are going to run everything over internet. A little more $ but worth it, if you ask me.

The only reason we keep Hulu+ is to finish out Jersey Shore. Once that's over, we'll cancel.

It's really annoying that Hulu (owner is NBC?) hamstrings their own product to the point of customers canceling due to lack of content. Most of the stuff we want to watch says "Web Only" when we find them on Hulu+. :thumbdown:

That said, Netflix is absolute $$$.
It is amazing how much of a bargain Netflix is at 7.99 a month for streaming. THere is more than enough there for someone to keep busy. I would have to think Hulu + is going to make a move soon for more content. THey are woefully lagging behind Netflix.

Got rid of Hulu Plus today. I was barely using it. I have an antenna, so I get fox, nbc, cbs, and abc so there really was no need to join, in hindsight. Their movie selection was horrible.I did sign up for mlb.tv again for 99 bucks, and I am watching a ton of games streamed to my roku. Well worth it for me to get my sports fix (essentially 15 bucks a month for the season).
So is mlb.tv over roku only good for one TV?
I have 2 roku players, and I can watch on both. Do you mean at the same time? I have never tried.I will say, that some people are having problems with the feeds on the roku. I have never had an issue, though.

Called and cancelled cable an hour ago.

I've got the Roku player with Netflix and Hulu Plus, and this antenna with an amplifier. Signal strength of 100 and an insane picture. Saving $90 a month.

antennas direct DB4

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered one of these over the weekend. If I can pick up most of the networks OTA in HD I'll be canceling our cable as soon as the NHL playoffs are done.

I have both a networked Panasonic Blu-Ray player as well as an original Apple TV, so I have a couple of other options. Unfortunately neither of them has Hulu...I have iTunes, Netflix, Amazon VOD, Vudu, and some other service that I can't remember, but no Hulu.

Thinking about picking up one of these so I can DVR the OTA programs, but the reviews seem pretty mixed.

Thinking about picking up one of these so I can DVR the OTA programs, but the reviews seem pretty mixed.
Exactly why we opted to subscribe to Hulu+. The few shows we actually "cant miss" are available on Hulu+. Well worth the $8/mo when you consider the options.

Exactly why we opted to subscribe to Hulu+. The few shows we actually "cant miss" are available on Hulu+. Well worth the $8/mo when you consider the options.
Maybe, but the devices I have don't have Hulu. Although it does look like Hulu+ is coming to Panasonic devices sometime in 2011.

Maybe, but the devices I have don't have Hulu. Although it does look like Hulu+ is coming to Panasonic devices sometime in 2011.
So spend the $60 on a Roku. :confused:

Well, I only have so many connections on my tv and hts, and I like to use my AppleTV as my "jukebox" and with a 2 year-old, I'm going to need to keep the Blu-ray connected. So I think I might just hold off until Hulu+ comes to Panasonic.

Is Hulu Plus going to be available on older Panasonic Viera models through a firmware update? If this is the case I can hold of on buying a second Roku player.

Well, I only have so many connections on my tv and hts, and I like to use my AppleTV as my "jukebox" and with a 2 year-old, I'm going to need to keep the Blu-ray connected. So I think I might just hold off until Hulu+ comes to Panasonic.
auto sensing HDMI switches are like 10 bucks at monoprice.

Is Hulu Plus going to be available on older Panasonic Viera models through a firmware update? If this is the case I can hold of on buying a second Roku player.
Can't find anything specific, but I have to imagine this would be a pretty easy firmware update.

So can my old Tivo (vintage 2004) be used as a DVR for OTA broadcasts? I like to boop through the commercials for NFL games sometimes.

We are keeping cable for now. The wife just isn’t ready to get used to something new so I’m now working on baby steps. I’m currently backing up all our DVD’s to an external 1.5TB WD Elements media hard drive that will house all our mp3‘s, movies & pictures. A second WD Elements backs up the media drive. In the future I want to build an unRaid media storage system. The external media drive will connect to an old 1.83 Dual core Mac mini that we picked up to use as a HTPC.

The Mac mini is attached to the back of the kitchen TV with a Vesa mount. We purchased the Apple TV2 for use on the Living room TV and I have a IT friend jailbreaking the ATV2 so that we can play all the movies, etc on the media drive through XBMC.

My Wife has that deer in the headlights look about all this but is starting to come around a little bit. She’s finally starting to use Netflix and is sort of getting the idea that we could ditch cable in the future. Another few months of watching movies from the HDD or Netflix instead of slipping in a DVD or waiting for cable to show what she wants and she might be ready. She just needs to be assured that she will still be able to view the shows that are important to her.

So I Just got my roku and started watching the office on netflix on my 55" 1080p tv only to notice the picture isn't severely lacking dish network The old lady won't let this fly unless I fix this. What am I doing wrong? My roku settings are at 1080p. Also, I'm an electronics idiot

So I Just got my roku and started watching the office on netflix on my 55" 1080p tv only to notice the picture isn't severely lacking dish network The old lady won't let this fly unless I fix this. What am I doing wrong? My roku settings are at 1080p. Also, I'm an electronics idiot
Also, I do notice when the roku is retrieving the episode, it has a quality bar. How do I increase that quality?

Also, I do notice when the roku is retrieving the episode, it has a quality bar. How do I increase that quality?
I can't speak specifically for Netflix (yet), but I don't think you'll get 1080p on anything streamed over the internet. It's too bandwidth intensive.

Does anyone know anything about TVLinks.eu? I can stream this through PlayOn.

It. Has. Everything. Practically every episode of every TV show you can think of for the past 20 years. And 30,000 movies to boot.

If I use this, will I get a visit from the FBI? :unsure:

I can't speak specifically for Netflix (yet), but I don't think you'll get 1080p on anything streamed over the internet. It's too bandwidth intensive.
I'm thinking this is a Netflix issue. I watched Joe dirt I'm some pretty good HD on another station.

Anyone else having quality issues w/ Netflix?
Check out instantwatcher.com and it will tell you which of the Netflix streaming movies are in HD (and generally a great site for Netflix steaming customers). Not all of the movies on Netflix streaming are HD. If you are watching an HD movie and it's poor quality, something is probably wrong with your wireless.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm only a few hours into this roku. Just watched some hq office through Hulu +. But I'd like to figure out Netflix as I'll use Tgat the most

Confused as to why the office would be better on Hulu than netflix though. 2 of 4"quality" bars on Netflix, but I'll get better quality on Hulu

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20057799-17.html?tag=mncol

DirecTV working on Netflix-like streaming service?

DirecTV has sent a survey to some of its customers asking about their use of Netflix and whether they would like to see the satellite provider deliver a streaming service of its own, according to a digital-media enthusiast site that obtained the document.

"In this next section, we would like you to evaluate a new service that DirecTV is thinking about offering to their customers," the survey reads, according to ZatzNotFunny. "DirecTV plans to offer a streaming-only Netflix-like service for a flat fee per month, which would appear as a line item on your monthly bill."

The company said its service would deliver "thousands of movies and television shows" streaming over the Web to "your television, computer, or tablet." The content would encompass series episodes through last season, as well as older films.

If DirecTV gets into the streaming business, it would join an increasingly crowded market, led by Netflix. Amazon.com, Hulu, and Vudu are competing in that market, as well. DirecTV's chief satellite TV competitor, Dish Network, already has the Dish Online online streaming service and just completed its acquisition of Blockbuster, which in addition to its struggling brick-and-mortar stores also has an on-demand service.

Last week, Dish also announced that it had brought HBO and Cinemax content to its online-streaming service. With that addition, Dish Online was able to score a win over Netflix, which has not been given the chance to offer HBO content on its own streaming service.

Even so, it's Netflix that DirecTV seems most concerned about. Throughout the entire survey that ZatzNotFunny obtained, DirecTV asks about its subscribers' viewing habits, including how many shows or movies they watch each week on Netflix, how long they watch Netflix's content, and more. The company even asked which Netflix plan--a streaming-only option or one with both DVD rentals and streaming--the respondent was currently paying for.

Of course, worrying about Netflix over any other streaming service might make sense. Last month, research firm NPD reported that Netflix's service was tapped for 61 percent of all movies downloaded or streamed between January and February. The second-place company, Comcast, earned 8 percent of that market. DirecTV tied for third place with both Time Warner Cable and Apple, with just 4 percent market share each.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20057799-17.html#ixzz1KlKIGRaq

Got my Mohu Leaf antenna hooked up yesterday. Looks like I get CBS, NBC, Fox, CW, PBS and some of their secondary stations really well and ABC and a few others pretty well, but with some pixelation here and there. I think I had a total of 16 stations. Not too bad. I think once the NHL playoffs are over I'm going to cancel cable and just watch the OTA stations and a little Vudu, Apple TV and maybe sign up for Netflix. Hulu+ is supposed to be added to my Panasonic Blu-Ray later this year. Should save me $60-$70/month. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread