What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What animal is this in our house? (3 Viewers)

Definitely not a mouse/mice. Heard it yesterday at 5pm. Tonight, while at work, wife just sent this video. Every noise was from the animal, including the loud one at the end. This thing is in the wall. At one point, she knocked on the wall, it stopped briefly, then just started right back up.

Wtf is this thing?

Camera mounted up there today. Will check footage tomorrow.
Sounds like a painter is stuck in your walls

after hearing your recording I want to fight the pest control guy who disagreed w me and told you it was mice.

that little yelp was the sweet sweet sound of squirrel. 

eta: also could be a chipmunk

Last edited by a moderator:
after hearing your recording I want to fight the pest control guy who disagreed w me and told you it was mice.

that little yelp was the sweet sweet sound of squirrel. 

eta: also could be a chipmunk

This. I'm going with chipmunk. Mice are more active at night and you would hear them then.

We had a bird in our wall that got in through a small hole in our roof soffit.  It scratched and clawed at the wall where it had nested trying to expand its space.  It actually made a tiny hole into our house.  

It wasnt there for more than a week and dissapeared.  A couple years later, two young squirrels did some gymnastics and found their way into the same soffit.  Those little ####s made our entire interior walls their playground, running around like crazy...right in the walls of my kids rooms.  We had to pay a good deal for someone to come trap them and fix the issue.

I didnt hear the vids too well on my phone, but the bird scratched a lot and the squirrels scurried a lot but never scratched.

Mystery solved. Cut the hole and set up a homemade trap. Then our pest control guy stopped by and said not a good idea and we took it off. Decided to put my phone into the hole and took a picture.

Culprit

Unreal

Probably not a great time to mention one of the most terrifying nights of my life happened 2 nights ago when a bat got in our house and was flying around our bedroom at 1:30 in the morning.

My dad has been playing the “what animal is tearing up the carpet on my porch?” game this week. Finally figured out it’s a feral cat (neighbor down the street apparently feeds them), so he got a trap, intending to catch it and drive it somewhere else and release it.

Trap works beautifully….on skunks.

Can be.  But it's more likely a smell issue.  Also, it attracts roaches.  SInce it's just one bat, blocking its entrance after it leaves for the night should do the trick.
So, the problem is I think we already blocked its entrance without knowing it.  When one of the folks that came over to help us figure out what was going on did his evaluation, he noticed a vent high up on our rear wall that was not flush with the brick. There was a bird nest noted inside the attic in that spot. 

That vent is the vent for the enclosed fireplace in our bedroom, I think, and now I think that's where the entry point for the bat was.  We had that closed yesterday morning.  Which is probably why the sounds last night were especially loud and were going on all night long and into this morning.  I think we killed one of those bats as a result and the other one is probably close to dying too if that was his only way out. 

Hoping there aren't anymore but I don't think so.  I think these may have just been younger bats and were unable to find another way out once that was closed off and got stuck in the wall.

I actually feel badly.  I also wish one of the 3 people that came out would have thought about this being a possibility.  If I wouldn't have cut that hole in the wall, I don't think we're figuring this out any time soon.  Now I have to figure out who can get this thing out of the wall safely.  I also need to make sure that chimney cap is on.

If it gets into your house, don't make any contact with it.  Rabies shots are better than they were, but who needs that?  Make sure you keep it alive if there is any doubt so that it can be tested.  Trap it under a laudry basket or something like that.

I actually feel badly.  I also wish one of the 3 people that came out would have thought about this being a possibility.  If I wouldn't have cut that hole in the wall, I don't think we're figuring this out any time soon.  Now I have to figure out who can get this thing out of the wall safely.  I also need to make sure that chimney cap is on.
Hire a crew of Peruvians. 

Probably not a great time to mention one of the most terrifying nights of my life happened 2 nights ago when a bat got in our house and was flying around our bedroom at 1:30 in the morning.
same thing.  was sleeping & something was buzzing by my face at 1 zillion MPH. closed the door & slept on couch.  In morning found him flat clinging to the window screen.  closed window to keep him in/on screen & cut a slit on outside screen.  he left.  have no idea how he got in our house.  felt like I was in a horror movie.  wife still has nightmares.

No noises last night or this morning.  Pretty sure that 2nd one suffered a similar fate to his buddy at the bottom of that picture.  Not as bad as running over some rabbits with a lawnmower, but I feel badly for those 2 guys.  I wonder if they just got lost/confused, which I read can happen, or if they simply didn't have a way out after putting that vent back on the way it should be.

well, @gianmarco I was wrong (Im still shicked) about it being a squirrel... but I was right about the vent! I knew it.... we couldnt find any entry point either, until I got up on the roof and found they CHEWED a little entry thru the bottom of a vent.

50% is a pass, right? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread