What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What animal is this in our house? (3 Viewers)

it's a squirrel. 

check the vents/vent caps on your roof (we had squirrels gnaw thru it and a family of 5 was living inside our roof). If nothing, look for other entry points along the soffit etc
This was us a few years ago.  So loud that I assumed it was a raccoon - nope, squirrel.

Looks like tons of activity up there.  Consistent with a squirrel based on tracks and size of holes.  Have someone coming tomorrow to put traps and hopefully catch and release and get this taken care of.

Sure sounded like a party up there this morning.

So, first person out yesterday thinks it's a squirrel.  Recommend an outrageous proposal of clearing out the insulation, repairing any damage and then refilling insulation.  The estimate to do this was obscene.

Had another company come out today.  For squirrels, they seal all entry points except one, trap them, then relocate.  Said doing all that insulation and attic repair is completely unnecessary.  I also called a couple other companies that said the same.

Unfortunately, he came out and thinks it's mice, not a squirrel. 

So, number 3 company coming out Monday and let's see what they say. 

I think it's a squirrel.  Sounds way too loud to be mice.  We've heard it every morning for the last 5 mornings starting at ~5am and heard as late as 7am this morning.  Also heard it last night around 10:30pm for the first time.

The mystery continues...........

So, first person out yesterday thinks it's a squirrel.  Recommend an outrageous proposal of clearing out the insulation, repairing any damage and then refilling insulation.  The estimate to do this was obscene.

Had another company come out today.  For squirrels, they seal all entry points except one, trap them, then relocate.  Said doing all that insulation and attic repair is completely unnecessary.  I also called a couple other companies that said the same.

I think it's a squirrel.  Sounds way too loud to be mice.  We've heard it every morning for the last 5 mornings starting at ~5am and heard as late as 7am this morning.  Also heard it last night around 10:30pm for the first time.

Mice you hear at night.  Lots of little pitter patter and not very audible.  I've had mice, they seem to just go away.  You cant keep them out if you live adjacent to forest.  Ive never had squirrels, but the time frame of activity makes sense.

unfortunately, this guy has no clue what he's talking about. mice are subtle/faint sounds... a squirrel is clear as day. 

Follow up:

So, the reason the 2nd guy who came out said he doesn't think it's a squirrel is that he couldn't find any entry points from the outside into the attic.

Third guy came out today from another company.

Said it sounds like it could be a squirrel.  However, he also couldn't find an entry point.  Agrees that it looks like there's activity up there, does see evidence of mice, does not see evidence of a squirrel but that doesn't mean they haven't recently gotten inside. 

So, kind of stuck at this point.  I have not heard anything the last couple nights/mornings like before.  Trail deer cam coming in this week and I'll set up in the attic when it does to see if we can figure out what this is.  In the meantime, will be baiting/trapping mice as that's covered by our pest control service anyway.

The mystery continues.....

Sounds like mice/rats to me, but we have them in our hunting camp regularly, especially in the early fall. They sound just like that.

sticky traps.  i had mice in the wall, in my kitchen.  pulled the stove out, put two traps back there.  caught them both in less than 24 hours.  checked the perimeter of my house and capped the dryer vent, that had been damaged.  they haven't been back.  i also got those mice super sonic noise things, that you plug in.  no clue if they're a scam or not.  but hey, $25 :shrug:  

also got a trail cam to see which neighbor's dog, was ####ting in my yard.  turns out, it was a big ### cat.  little *******.  those cameras are cool.  they pick up all sorts of interesting things.

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
The mystery continues.....

mice make noise.. but there's now way a grown man can mistaken a mouse for a squirrel... it's day and night. mice are tiny creatures and make more subtle sounds.

now, could it be rats? absolutely. i truly hope not, but it could be, I guess.

ps: don't use sticky traps, that's brutally inhumane. get yourself some mouse traps that have the little lid on the "treat" part, put peanut butter inside, and youre 100% to catch them. mice LOVE peanut butter... and the lid has to be "lifted" for them to get it.. so youre 99% to catch em 

Soulfly3 said:
ps: don't use sticky traps, that's brutally inhumane. get yourself some mouse traps that have the little lid on the "treat" part, put peanut butter inside, and youre 100% to catch them. mice LOVE peanut butter... and the lid has to be "lifted" for them to get it.. so youre 99% to catch em 
And then what?  I doubt they are field mice.

And then what?  I doubt they are field mice.
Eat them. 

Or let them go in the tree-cuttimg neighbors yard. Either way, glue traps are functional, but pretty horrible.

We've used this for two separate mouse infestations in our nyc apartment (we live right above a small grocery). It's basically ferret fecal matter in a jar. No smell, no fuss put it where you think they are and they bail. worked really well for us both times.

I was gonna say, and still think it's a mouse/mice.  They always climb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not a mouse/mice. Heard it yesterday at 5pm. Tonight, while at work, wife just sent this video. Every noise was from the animal, including the loud one at the end. This thing is in the wall. At one point, she knocked on the wall, it stopped briefly, then just started right back up.

Wtf is this thing?

Camera mounted up there today. Will check footage tomorrow.

Sounds like a squirrel to me.  This annoyed person posted their little irritant on YouTube.

I'm pretty sure you'd know it if you had a possum.  Or rats/mice for that matter.  The latter leave droppings and their pee smells pretty rank.

Based on this guy's description, might be mice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not a mouse/mice. Heard it yesterday at 5pm. Tonight, while at work, wife just sent this video. Every noise was from the animal, including the loud one at the end. This thing is in the wall. At one point, she knocked on the wall, it stopped briefly, then just started right back up.

Wtf is this thing?

Camera mounted up there today. Will check footage tomorrow.
Time to call in a priest.

Users who are viewing this thread