What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What did we learn after week 3? (1 Viewer)

msudaisy26 said:
SameSongNDance said:
msudaisy26 said:
Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
Spiller may have been an unwise 1st round pick
Because of an injury?
I'm pretty sure he had 9 yards rushing on 10 carries before the injury.
I'm pretty sure Barry Sanders had a negative rushing game in the playoffs once too. What is your point?
Daisy I like you but Barry Sanders and Spiller do not belong in the same thread...

DAMAC3 said:
Andrew74 said:
Owning Jimmy Graham is the greatest thing EVER.
Seconded. I own him in my main dynasty league (drafting him in middle of the 2nd round of a rookie draft). Best move I've made in that league.
I just offered 2 2014 1sts and 4 2014 2nds for Graham and it was declined

DAMAC3 said:
Andrew74 said:
Seconded. I own him in my main dynasty league (drafting him in middle of the 2nd round of a rookie draft). Best move I've made in that league.
If the guy is competing for a title I can see why, if his team sucks I would have countered with the 2 1sts and a few other parts from your roster.

The Colts looked like a SB team today. Beat a good team on the road, had weapons in the passing game and now have 2 solid RB's, with a defense that may be better than some think.

msudaisy26 said:
SameSongNDance said:
msudaisy26 said:
Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
Spiller may have been an unwise 1st round pick
Because of an injury?
I'm pretty sure he had 9 yards rushing on 10 carries before the injury.
I'm pretty sure Barry Sanders had a negative rushing game in the playoffs once too. What is your point?
Daisy I like you but Barry Sanders and Spiller do not belong in the same thread...
Thank you =). I mean that, but my point was anyone can have a bad game. I am not comparing him to Barry, it is hard for me to hold that game against him when he was out the second half, you can't predict when an injury will happen.

Oh ya I forgot to share what I think I learned.

Joique Bell = flex worthy all year

Packers = maybe we shouldn't give them the NFC North title just yet.

Ravens D = Maybe Denver is that good, or they just had an off night

AFC East = Not even close to the worst division in football

Lastly start all your fantasy players against the NFC East, well maybe not the Cowboys.

bulger2holt said:
I have learned that the Rams may have two top 5 picks in the 2014 draft. The way they look, they are going to need them
And with the strength of qb's coming out, and their confidence in bradford, might end up with Clowney and a trade down for even more picks.

Ryan Mathews was a wasted pick even in the 7th round

Having a WR group of Bowe , Wallace, Shorts and Austin will drive you insane on a weekly basis

Bush is still made of glass after 8 years of football

I should have known better than to pick a Bill with my #1 draft pick

Waiting on a QB may not have been as good of a plan as I had hoped.

Oh and last but not least when Jimmy Graham is there with your second draft pick you don't pick Chris Johnson instead just to stick to a draft formula

DAMAC3 said:
Andrew74 said:
If the guy is competing for a title I can see why, if his team sucks I would have countered with the 2 1sts and a few other parts from your roster.
Jimmy Graham is probably as close to untradeable as there is in dynasty.

DAMAC3 said:
Andrew74 said:
He is 0-3 so not competing....I offered Levonne Bell and 2014 1sts and he rejected......that is a pretty good offer and I will just leave it alone now...

DAMAC3 said:
Andrew74 said:
He is 0-3 so not competing....I offered Levonne Bell and 2014 1sts and he rejected......that is a pretty good offer and I will just leave it alone now...
I think that is a little light still. I traded McCoy after his 20 touchdown season and I got Doug Martin, Percy Harvin, and Vernon Davis plus a 2013 1st. At the time McCoy was considered one of the top 3 backs in dynasty and argued as the number 1 because of his age. I think most would say is equal to what Graham is to the tight end spot.

Afc east is no longer worst division in NFL.

The NFC East is .

I also learned that Seattle is really good and should end up in the Super bowl

msudaisy26 said:
Splicer said:
I feel like I probably should sell Joique Bell at an all time high...but I can't bring myself to click "accept". Anyone else feel torn on Joique?
Don't sell him, Bush will be lucky to survive the season and even when Bush is in there he is a high end flex play. Actually I shouldn't say don't sell him, if someone is going to give you something crazy then sell him.
Agreed. Bell will get his touches, and all of the goal-line work. Bush has an injured groin, a dislocated thumb and an injured knee. Not likely to make it through the season.

I traded him for gronk, kaepernick, and a 1st round pick this year which turned into Christine michaels. I was not going to be competing and figured gronk is 4 years younger than graham! Te premium league.

DAMAC3 said:
Andrew74 said:

DAMAC3 said:
Andrew74 said:
That isn't remotely in the ballpark of what it would take to get Graham.

I traded him for gronk, kaepernick, and a 1st round pick this year which turned into Christine michaels. I was not going to be competing and figured gronk is 4 years younger than graham! Te premium league.

DAMAC3 said:
Andrew74 said:
I am sorry but I disagree with this. If you are a horrible team in dynasty with very few quality players you have to move guys like this. Especially if you are in a larger roster dynasty because there will be less players available on the waivers.

I have a great example in my dynasty league, there is an owner that has 2 pieces other owners might want, Tony Romo and Calvin Johnson. Being a 12 team league and start 1 quarterback the market for Romo is limited, however he refuses to trade Calvin Johnson. With 25 man rosters everything is owned. The waiver wire is very bare, even if he has great drafts and hits on 2 of his 3 picks every year he is still 3 or 4 years from competing and by that time Calvin will be 31 and could be more like Fitzgerald type then a guy leading your squad to victory.

No one in dynasty is untouchable if your team is awful

Of course not, but it all depends on what you're getting.

I don't think trading a phenomenal player like Graham for a bunch of smaller parts is a wise long term strategy. Of course it's another story if you're able to get a legitimate elite player + extras in return, but trading one mega star for a handful of mediocre pieces is usually a huge mistake IMO. You can always find a WR3 or RB2 to fill out your lineup. Players like Graham come along once or twice per decade. They are much, much harder to find and acquire than supporting pieces.

The longer I play dynasty, the more I think it's all about stockpiling top 10 overall players. The team that has the most first round caliber players usually has the best roster. Depth and complementary players can always be found later.

I don't think trading a phenomenal player like Graham for a bunch of smaller parts is a wise long term strategy. Of course it's another story if you're able to get a legitimate elite player + extras in return, but trading one mega star for a handful of mediocre pieces is usually a huge mistake IMO. You can always find a WR3 or RB2 to fill out your lineup. Players like Graham come along once or twice per decade. They are much, much harder to find and acquire than supporting pieces.

The longer I play dynasty, the more I think it's all about stockpiling top 10 overall players. The team that has the most first round caliber players usually has the best roster. Depth and complementary players can always be found later.
I agree with that, you need to get another borderline rb1/wr1 or top 5 tight end that is younger than Graham, plus other young pieces that could develop into studs or possibly be in the wr2/rb2 range.

DAMAC3 said:
Andrew74 said:
I just don't see the appeal in trading a young, proven uber-stud like Graham for uproven rookies or draft picks.

Enjoy watching Graham go off for the next 3 years while you try and guess which QB, RB or WR will be the one to own from a given draft class? No thanks. It's a sucker's bet. Graham is as guaranteed as you can get in fantasy football.

jacquizz rodgers doesnt suck that much this year.
don't trust all the people that clamor to rip a player here, especially when it's the herd. he was a hot topic last year and people bit. now they vent. same goes for most players that get hyped as sleepers and #### and then dissapoint. posters trying to justify their new opinions because they're not yet over getting burned. in the meantime they might have missed a decent pickup, but wel'll see about that. for now, those that refused to give him a shot because he obviously SUX GUY, missed out on a decent flex while they watched McGahee and Oggabamma #### their collective beds, who they paid way too much for

I just don't see the appeal in trading a young, proven uber-stud like Graham for uproven rookies or draft picks.

Enjoy watching Graham go off for the next 3 years while you try and guess which QB, RB or WR will be the one to own from a given draft class? No thanks. It's a sucker's bet. Graham is as guaranteed as you can get in fantasy football.
I wouldnt trade Graham for that if you gave me 500 dollars along with it.................in a 100 dollar league. Graham will be productive longer than Bell (if Bell is ever even productive at all), and a couple 1sts dont make up for that.

Now, giv eme Bernard and the top 2 picks next year..................and you got my interest.

I agree with that, you need to get another borderline rb1/wr1 or top 5 tight end that is younger than Graham, plus other young pieces that could develop into studs or possibly be in the wr2/rb2 range.
This very much depends on the league type. FFPC you can almost always fill 1-2 lineup spots on waivers with guys that will at least produce enough points to not hurt you too bad. For example, Graham and two waiver players is better most weeks than trading graham for three "decent" players. So in the FFPC, I definitely agree. 3 studs (say you have Peterson, Calvin, and Graham) and some waiver guys will get you a winning record.

In one league I play in, 35 man rosters with a 30 man taxi limit where you can hold guys for 3 years, there is NEVER anything on waivers.

If your team is bad, and you have Graham, it's pretty much a NECESSITY to look into trading him for a slew of picks and young unproven players.

Now, Bell and a couple 1sts is still an easy no for me, regardless of my team or the league structure. For one, it just isnt worth it. And two, you KNOW you can do better.

That David Wilson got the majority or the carries, and had a questionable TD call against him. There is hope, and I feel really good for giving up Bradshaw for him in a Dynasty League.

On the other hand, that Giants O-line... Brr...

That Santonio Holmes looked pretty good against a Bills secondary completely tore apart by injuries (Gilmore, Byrd, McKelvin).

In my non PPR league, Graham is the #1 TE and if he played WR, he would be the #1WR. He has more points than all but 3 RBs.

Gio Bernard's time is coming much sooner than expected.

Never count out the Giants, as pathetic as they've looked.

If you hear that a tight end played basketball - even if it was at the YMCA - draft him.

I learned that

- If you have a chance to draft Jimmy Graham, do it. He's a guaranteed 1st round pick next year in all formats.

- SF offense REALLY missed Vernon Davis yesterday. SF looked like garbage yesterday against a mediocre defense.

My "stud" rbs .. foster , alf , spiller and trich... maybe lacy arent gonna win games for me week in an week out. Smh dissapointing
That some people are impatient.

Hang in there with Alf and Foster. You will be fine soon.

As a matter of saving their seasons and their butts, the Washington football team is going to have to bring back an element of the read option. That will help balance them and will help Morris.

The Texans are playing rope-a-dope right now and if you want to mark this thread and grill me later, that is perfectly fine but I really think you will be thanking me if you hold Foster. They are not wanting to wear him down and this early schedule is a difficult one. But gve it some time and in about 3 weeks from now, I think you will see the type of production you are accustomed to.

Not sure what people expected out of Morris. He's been a safe, consistent play each week. If anything, undervalued.

BigBlue_RI said:
Never trust Eli no matter how many of the opponents secondary is hurt?
That is hilarious how poorly he did against a team who is weak against the pass. :o
Guys it's not all Eli--the O-line is a joke. The playcalling is too pass happy and now Big Blue is even more predictable than in years past. Killdrive has to go.

The GM did nothing to improve the O-line and LB's, and no insurance at RB for Wilson (Andre Brown was an injury-prone journeyman coming into last season). Too many re-treads on the D-line too.
You think they can teach Clowney to play on the offensive line?

This very much depends on the league type. FFPC you can almost always fill 1-2 lineup spots on waivers with guys that will at least produce enough points to not hurt you too bad. For example, Graham and two waiver players is better most weeks than trading graham for three "decent" players. So in the FFPC, I definitely agree. 3 studs (say you have Peterson, Calvin, and Graham) and some waiver guys will get you a winning record.

In one league I play in, 35 man rosters with a 30 man taxi limit where you can hold guys for 3 years, there is NEVER anything on waivers.

If your team is bad, and you have Graham, it's pretty much a NECESSITY to look into trading him for a slew of picks and young unproven players.

Now, Bell and a couple 1sts is still an easy no for me, regardless of my team or the league structure. For one, it just isnt worth it. And two, you KNOW you can do better.
I don't play dynasty yet so I'm curious... for those of you that do, how many years of Brees is your valuation of Graham based on?

Even in dyansty, a smart owner doesn't try to forecast things out TOO far. SO when talking about Brees and Graham, you look at what is practical..about three years. That seems very reasonable for both players.

You can't go out too far because you just never know how quickly things change. Three years ago, Had you tried to buy Hakeem Nicks or give Marshawn Lynch away, your results would have been very different. Things change fast.

Even in dyansty, a smart owner doesn't try to forecast things out TOO far. SO when talking about Brees and Graham, you look at what is practical..about three years. That seems very reasonable for both players.

You can't go out too far because you just never know how quickly things change. Three years ago, Had you tried to buy Hakeem Nicks or give Marshawn Lynch away, your results would have been very different. Things change fast.
Thanks. First thing I thought was, "Without Brees, Graham could be Larry Fitzgerald..."

Things I've learned that I thought would happen

Kaepernick isn't as good as people thought he was going to be this season.

Russell Wilson is as good as I thought he would be this season, regardless of the Jags or not he's clearly immensely talented on probably the best team in football by a rather wide margin.

Doug Martin is going to finish out the season outside the top 10 as Tampa Bay is anemic and his talent is closer to his average last season than his OAK/MIN games from last season.

Jimmy Graham will set single season records for the tight end position this season.

Jamaal Charles, Adrian Peterson and LeSean McCoy are CLEARLY the best RBs in the NFL right now. And it isn't even particularly close after them.

If Reggie Bush takes a season ending injury, Joique Bell will be a top 10 RB the rest of the way. Kid runs HARD.

Injury aside, last season may have been a fluke for Spiller. He's looked mediocre and indecisive all season long.

Tavon Austin is a pretty safe play in PPR leagues more on that below

Things I didn't see coming

The Giants offensive line might be the worst in football. This makes David Wilson's value more or less zero until we see improvement. Look to Week 5-6 when Diehl comes back and they can put Will Beatty on the bench as he's CLEARLY the main breakdown in the protection right now. This also seriously hurts Cruz and Nicks values as well. The plus side is... Wilson did look very good in the touches he got and SHOULD have had a touchdown if Will Beatty didn't hold on a player that Wilson had already beaten to the outside. He'll get more playing time next week as well, as Scott looked worse than him in pass protection and Jacobs looked like a 100 year old man with a walker.

I really thought St. Louis would find more ways to get Tavon Austin in space. He's getting tons of catches but being hit pretty much the second he makes the reception. I'd like to see more Percy Harvin/Wes Welker type plays being run with the kid to showcase his abilities.

The 49ers are no longer anything close to a shut down defense. Didn't want to anoint this one when just Lynch had done it. But when Ahmad Bradshaw puts up 19/95/1TD up against you? It's official, don't fear starting your backs against the 9ers.

Minnesota is one of the worst passing defenses in the NFL. If you have WRs or QBs against them start them, it doesn't particularly matter WHO. If Brian Hoyer can put up 3 TDs against them anyone can put up 3 TDs against them.

The Dolphins are for real... even thought they are tied with New England for 1st place in the NFC East, they have looked better than them all season. If this keeps up we may see a changing of the guard in the division.

The Texans don't look like a team that will win it's division this season. The Colts look like the clear front runner to me. Even the games the Texans have won have been close and nothing remotely close to dominant wins.

The Chiefs pass rush is completely disgusting. Justin Houston is this seasons JJ Watt and then some.

You can probably hand the NFC West trophy to the Seahawks and the NFC South trophy to the Saints at this point already. The rest of the teams in this division clearly have a lot more issues than those two teams do.

The NFC East is easily the worst division and while the Cowboys look like the front runners. Knowing them though? It's still anyone's division.

Last edited by a moderator:
Things I've learned that I thought would happen

The Texans don't look like a team that will win it's division this season. The Colts look like the clear front runner to me. Even the games the Texans have won have been close and nothing remotely close to dominant wins.
Kubiak still thinks kicking FG's is the way to win games. So glad I traded Andre Johnson while I could.

Ryan Mathews was a wasted pick even in the 7th round

Having a WR group of Bowe , Wallace, Shorts and Austin will drive you insane on a weekly basis

Bush is still made of glass after 8 years of football

I should have known better than to pick a Bill with my #1 draft pick

Waiting on a QB may not have been as good of a plan as I had hoped.

Oh and last but not least when Jimmy Graham is there with your second draft pick you don't pick Chris Johnson instead just to stick to a draft formula
all of these things are why upside down drafting is the way to go

outside of the Matthews comment. You make your own bed when you pick him. Fool me once........

Gio Bernard needs more touches, the kid is explosive and fun to watch. Good chance for Offensive-ROY.

Bilal Powell could be the steal of most drafts considering his ADP.

Owning a NE RB might be the most frustrating thing.

I have a man crush on Jimmy Graham.

That people overvalued all the Jets players after there win against a inept Bills team.
Really? I didn't think anyone even looked at Jets players, or Jax players or Minn. players not named Peterson or Tenn. players not named Chris Johnson.

Users who are viewing this thread