What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

what happened to Osi Umenyiora (1 Viewer)

Sucdin

Footballguy
This guys was listed high of footballguys cheetsheet but he didn't record a single tackle. Did he play? Was he hurt? :hot:

He played, but went up vs. Pace all day. I knew it would be a tough go for him going in, but expected more. His only stat was a pass defensed.

He played most of the game. He just played bad.Also, as I mentioned 2 weeks ago, the weekly IDP guide is way off, IMO. You should not use it to set your lineups. If you did, shame on you.

Also, as I mentioned 2 weeks ago, the weekly IDP guide is way off, IMO.  You should not use it to set your lineups.  If you did, shame on you.
:confused: why?

I mentioned in my strong/weak plays article that Pace made Umenyiora a risky play this week.

Coming into the game, however, Bulger had been sacked an NFL-high 15 times. Tough to know that Umenyiora would be nearly shut out and the foot injury probably didn't help him either. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to find out how many snaps Umenyiora played, but Tuck and Strahan both had 3 solo tackles each so I'm guessing Tuck replaced Umenyiora for much of the game. Bulger wound up with 62 pass attempts. When you have a QB that has been sacked 15 times in 3 games throwing 62 times, I would think that's a pretty good matchup for a DE no matter who the opposing OT is. Umenyiora just didn't come through this week...those things happen in fantasy football.

If you're asking for infallible projections, you're never going to be happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can you predict an injury? :confused: Osi is a must start every week anyway, doesn't matter what the matchup is.

Also, as I mentioned 2 weeks ago, the weekly IDP guide is way off, IMO.  You should not use it to set your lineups.  If you did, shame on you.
:confused: why?

I mentioned in my strong/weak plays article that Pace made Umenyiora a risky play this week.

Coming into the game, however, Bulger had been sacked an NFL-high 15 times. Tough to know that Umenyiora would be nearly shut out and the foot injury probably didn't help him either. Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to find out how many snaps Umenyiora played, but Tuck and Strahan both had 3 solo tackles each so I'm guessing Tuck replaced Umenyiora for much of the game. Bulger wound up with 62 pass attempts. When you have a QB that has been sacked 15 times in 3 games throwing 62 times, I would think that's a pretty good matchup for a DE no matter who the opposing OT is. Umenyiora just didn't come through this week...those things happen in fantasy football.

If you're asking for infallible projections, you're never going to be happy.
Not asking for infallible projections at all. I'm just emphasizing again that people should only use them as a tool. I did read in your strong/weak plays about Osi... I was just referring to the Thursday night IDP rankings. I'll have to look again, but I know he was in the top 5. I watched most of the game because I have Bulger in one of my leagues. Osi played most of the game. I'm pretty sure he was in there the 4th quarter. Trust me, the injury had nothing to do with his play.

How can you predict an injury? :confused:

Osi is a must start every week anyway, doesn't matter what the matchup is.
What a joke. :lmao: A "must" start "every" week? At best, he's a bye-week filler.

I watched most of the game because I have Bulger in one of my leagues. Osi played most of the game. I'm pretty sure he was in there the 4th quarter. Trust me, the injury had nothing to do with his play.
He shows up in the play by play twice...and both are in the second half.How can you know that the injury had nothing to do with his play? If the guy was in pain and/or slower than he normally would be, wouldn't that have had an impact on his play? Do you think an injured player playing through pain is going to be as effective as a player who is 100% healthy? especially when matched up against one of the best LTs in the league?

What a joke. :lmao:

A "must" start "every" week? At best, he's a bye-week filler.
Using our FBG scoring system for IDPs, Umenyiora was the #15 ranked fantasy DL last year and came into the game ranked #17 for 2005.You think a top-20 DL is a "bye-week filler" at best? I'm not sure I'd call him a must start, but he's far from the piece of garbage you're portraying him as here.

I watched most of the game because I have Bulger in one of my leagues.  Osi played most of the game.  I'm pretty sure he was in there the 4th quarter.  Trust me, the injury had nothing to do with his play.
He shows up in the play by play twice...and both are in the second half.How can you know that the injury had nothing to do with his play? If the guy was in pain and/or slower than he normally would be, wouldn't that have had an impact on his play? Do you think an injured player playing through pain is going to be as effective as a player who is 100% healthy? especially when matched up against one of the best LTs in the league?

What a joke. :lmao:

A "must" start "every" week?  At best, he's a bye-week filler.
Using our FBG scoring system for IDPs, Umenyiora was the #15 ranked fantasy DL last year and came into the game ranked #17 for 2005.You think a top-20 DL is a "bye-week filler" at best? I'm not sure I'd call him a must start, but he's far from the piece of garbage you're portraying him as here.
A couple things...Yes, an injury would prevent him from being as effective as he could be. Personally, I think it's a cop-out. JMO. Second, if he is playing against one of the best LTs in the game, then why were his projections so high. Maybe you thought he was a risky play, but he was listed as a top 5 play this week. Finally, last year was last year. He played well when Strahan went down. This year, everyone thought that he'd even be better with Strahan in the game. Not true. Finally, I don't think he's a piece of garbage. I think he is the average run-of-the-mill defensive lineman. A "must" start? No freakin' way. That is funny.

What I really want to know is when the heck Calvin Pace became a force to be reckoned with? I kept that guy on my roster for God only knows how long waiting for him to turn into something. I think I finally cut him loose a year ago.I was expecting/hoping for a lot more out of Osi today.

What I really want to know is when the heck Calvin Pace became a force to be reckoned with? I kept that guy on my roster for God only knows how long waiting for him to turn into something. I think I finally cut him loose a year ago.
Just don't say that he is a must start every week. :D

A couple things...Yes, an injury would prevent him from being as effective as he could be.  Personally, I think it's a cop-out.  JMO.  Second, if he is playing against one of the best LTs in the game, then why were his projections so high.  Maybe you thought he was a risky play, but he was listed as a top 5 play this week.  Finally, last year was last year.  He played well when Strahan went down.  This year, everyone thought that he'd even be better with Strahan in the game.  Not true.  Finally, I don't think he's a piece of garbage.  I think he is the average run-of-the-mill defensive lineman.  A "must" start?  No freakin' way.  That is funny.
Fair enough. Maybe the injury was overblown, but I'm still unclear why you are so sure about it.IF you look at Norton's projections, he only had Osi projected for 4 solo tackles. He did have him and Strahan projected for 2 sacks/piece, which isn't all that crazy when you consider how sack-prone Bulger has been (Bert Berry also beat Pace for 2 sacks in week 2). With a rookie taking over at RT this week, maybe the Rams slide protection to that side to help out with Strahan?Anyway, I mentioned to John the idea of doing projections for big plays like sacks and INTs in the same way that Dodds does for TDs on offense (.5 = 50% chance of getting a sack). I think that would help make the projections/cheatsheets be a more accurate reflection of where these players should rank each week.But, I still think calling out the rankings/projections as bad or a waste of time is unwarranted. I'm sure if you projected the stats for every single IDP in the league we'd be able to point out plenty of errors as well. It's an impossible task and a thankless job, and I don't think they are supposed to be taken as gospel.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple things...

Yes, an injury would prevent him from being as effective as he could be.  Personally, I think it's a cop-out.  JMO.  Second, if he is playing against one of the best LTs in the game, then why were his projections so high.  Maybe you thought he was a risky play, but he was listed as a top 5 play this week.  Finally, last year was last year.  He played well when Strahan went down.  This year, everyone thought that he'd even be better with Strahan in the game.  Not true.  Finally, I don't think he's a piece of garbage.  I think he is the average run-of-the-mill defensive lineman.  A "must" start?  No freakin' way.  That is funny.
Fair enough. Maybe the injury was overblown, but I'm still unclear why you are so sure about it.IF you look at Norton's projections, he only had Osi projected for 4 solo tackles. He did have him and Strahan projected for 2 sacks/piece, which isn't all that crazy when you consider how sack-prone Bulger has been (Bert Berry also beat Pace for 2 sacks in week 2). With a rookie taking over at RT this week, maybe the Rams slide protection to that side to help out with Strahan?

Anyway, I mentioned to John the idea of doing projections for big plays like sacks and INTs in the same way that Dodds does for TDs on offense (.5 = 50% chance of getting a sack). I think that would help make the projections/cheatsheets be a more accurate reflection of where these players should rank each week.

But, I still think calling out the rankings/projections as bad or a waste of time is unwarranted. I'm sure if you projected the stats for every single IDP in the league we'd be able to point out plenty of errors as well. It's an impossible task and a thankless job, and I don't think they are supposed to be taken as gospel.
Agreed.I don't doubt that he got injured in the game. But if he did, it was near the end. That's all I'm saying. Someone suggested that he played bad because he injured his foot. I'm saying he played bad, then perhaps got injured.

On another Giants note, Gibril Wilson is indeed a great player. Now that is someone who is quickly becoming a "must start" every week.

How can you predict an injury? :confused:

What a joke. :lmao: A "must" start "every" week? At best, he's a bye-week filler.
I'm late to reply, sorry. But he is definately a must start every week in the IDP league I'm in. Of course we start a full defense 3 DL, 4 LB, and 4 DB a week. Osi is an awesome #3 or pretty good #2. Can blow up at any time. He is currently Top 30 in that league and that includes crappy week 1 and 4. So I'll keep starting him every week thank you very much. :thumbup: :)

In leagues that start only 1 or 2 DL then no, he's not a must start. :ph34r:

How can you predict an injury?  :confused:

I'm late to reply, sorry. But he is definately a must start every week in the IDP league I'm in. Of course we start a full defense 3 DL, 4 LB, and 4 DB a week. Osi is an awesome #3 or pretty good #2. Can blow up at any time. He is currently Top 30 in that league and that includes crappy week 1 and 4. So I'll keep starting him every week thank you very much. :thumbup: :)

You can have him.

How can you predict an injury?   :confused:

You can have him.
Wow, Osi sucks so bad he's the #5 DL in fantasy right now. :ph34r: ;)

How can you predict an injury?   :confused:

You can have him.
Wow, Osi sucks so bad he's the #5 DL in fantasy right now. :ph34r: ;)
Since this is directed at me, I'll give him his props. He has proven his worth.Happy now :hophead:

(Now, just waiting for Norton to chime in... Nah, based on his weekly projections, I'm sure he won't comment here :D )

yea, was just giving you crap. He's been pretty steady all year other then a couple weeks here and there. But then what DL guy scores big every week. He's been gold in my league, I can tell you that.

I was hoping to trade for him but that will likely be difficlut given his recent production.The guy in my dynasty league who drafted him took him in the 9th round so he obviously thinks highly of him. I was able to trade for Will Smith a few weeks ago so if I could pair him with Osi I'd be loaded at DL for the forseeable future.

Users who are viewing this thread