What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What, in general, annoys you? (1 Viewer)

Sales ########s harassing you on LinkedIn. I'm not going to connect with you because I don't know you and I've never done business with you.

People who will by-pass a long line of cars in traffic and then try to merge into an exit or turn lane at the closest possible point.
:hi: I love the gamble.
No, you are just being a ####. Get in line like everyone else. Nothing is more satisfying than swerving over to prevent this.
Don't let me in then. I'll find a spot. :shrug:
I like the way your jib is cut.I too am a late lane switcher. Why is everyone in such a dang hurry to merge? The lane is there to use, not just to waste space. Some people seem to think it is like cutting in line, but I disagree. The further back the mergers start their ridiculous pre-merging, the further back traffic gets backed up. Chill out and merge when you are forced to by the powers that be. No need to do it sooner.
In a perfectly efficient driving environment, everyone is going to merge as soon as they know that they need to. Therefore, this is not a viable strategy as everyone is going to look out for their own best interests knowing that everyone else is going to be merging ASAP as well. Simple game theory, really.
If you're talking about where one lane ends, you're completely wrong. Both lanes go to a certain point for a reason. I believe there is an entire thread on this.
:confused: I'm simply referring to driver psychology. The zipper merge is not an effective strategy because game theory. Pretty simple.
I'm not following you. If everyone is looking out for their best interests, one wouldn't get in a long line knowing that others can just pass them in the other line and move over later. Everyone would just get into whichever line was shortest at the time and then merge at the end (the actual merge point), hence the zipper merge.

If you're not following the zipper merge, you are putting yourself at the mercy of others both ahead and behind you, and the only good outcome is if everyone merges right away as well and no one behind you ends up in front of you.

If you do follow the zipper merge and simply choose whichever line is shortest at the time you arrive, it doesn't matter so much what others do. If everyone ahead of you does the zipper, you're in the same boat as the ideal situation in the merge early scenario (no one behind you ends up ahead of you, slowing you down). If people ahead choose to merge early instead, it actually helps you by allowing you in front of them. If others merge early behind you, it has no effect on you.

Note, I'm not well versed in game theory - I guess when it comes to that kind of traffic, my game is Tetris.
If you don't merge everyone else will. So merging ASAP ends up being the dominant strategy. Pretty sure this was covered in 'A Beautiful Mind'.

People who will by-pass a long line of cars in traffic and then try to merge into an exit or turn lane at the closest possible point.
:hi: I love the gamble.
No, you are just being a ####. Get in line like everyone else. Nothing is more satisfying than swerving over to prevent this.
Don't let me in then. I'll find a spot. :shrug:
I like the way your jib is cut.I too am a late lane switcher. Why is everyone in such a dang hurry to merge? The lane is there to use, not just to waste space. Some people seem to think it is like cutting in line, but I disagree. The further back the mergers start their ridiculous pre-merging, the further back traffic gets backed up. Chill out and merge when you are forced to by the powers that be. No need to do it sooner.
In a perfectly efficient driving environment, everyone is going to merge as soon as they know that they need to. Therefore, this is not a viable strategy as everyone is going to look out for their own best interests knowing that everyone else is going to be merging ASAP as well. Simple game theory, really.
If you're talking about where one lane ends, you're completely wrong. Both lanes go to a certain point for a reason. I believe there is an entire thread on this.
:confused: I'm simply referring to driver psychology. The zipper merge is not an effective strategy because game theory. Pretty simple.
I'm not following you. If everyone is looking out for their best interests, one wouldn't get in a long line knowing that others can just pass them in the other line and move over later. Everyone would just get into whichever line was shortest at the time and then merge at the end (the actual merge point), hence the zipper merge.

If you're not following the zipper merge, you are putting yourself at the mercy of others both ahead and behind you, and the only good outcome is if everyone merges right away as well and no one behind you ends up in front of you.

If you do follow the zipper merge and simply choose whichever line is shortest at the time you arrive, it doesn't matter so much what others do. If everyone ahead of you does the zipper, you're in the same boat as the ideal situation in the merge early scenario (no one behind you ends up ahead of you, slowing you down). If people ahead choose to merge early instead, it actually helps you by allowing you in front of them. If others merge early behind you, it has no effect on you.

Note, I'm not well versed in game theory - I guess when it comes to that kind of traffic, my game is Tetris.
If you don't merge everyone else will. So merging ASAP ends up being the dominant strategy. Pretty sure this was covered in 'A Beautiful Mind'.
http://lifehacker.com/the-right-way-to-merge-lanes-to-avoid-traffic-jams-and-1501148503

Guys, I understand that zipper merge is the most efficient way to merge. I'm saying it's not a viable strategy because no one is going to follow it. You're going to have one jackass that goes off book and screws everything up, causing a domino effect where everyone else abandons the zipper merge and looks out for their own interests and merges ASAP.

Guys, I understand that zipper merge is the most efficient way to merge. I'm saying it's not a viable strategy because no one is going to follow it. You're going to have one jackass that goes off book and screws everything up, causing a domino effect where everyone else abandons the zipper merge and looks out for their own interests and merges ASAP.
How is getting in line way too early looking out for their best interest? Waiting until the end would be looking out for your best interest.

Traffic kills me. Lines also. Loud noises bug me now. People trying to speak to me everywhere I go, drives me crazy. The worst of all though is the noises women make while chewing food. I have to close my eyes and pretend its B.J. noises so I don't yell at them. I'm still in my 30's believe it or not. So annoying.

E-Z Glider said:
Peyton Marino said:
How is getting in line way too early looking out for their best interest? Waiting until the end would be looking out for your best interest.
that scenario messes up the zipper merge as well, because everyone will wait until the last second to merge, causing a huge backup at the end when everyone finally gets over. either way, people are looking out for their best interests with what they perceive is the best strategy and not trying to coordinate some grand synchronized merging performance with the rest of traffic. I forget how we even got here at this point.

Peyton Marino said:
Guys, I understand that zipper merge is the most efficient way to merge. I'm saying it's not a viable strategy because no one is going to follow it.
All it takes is halfway decent signage telling people to stay in all lanes until the merge point.

You're going to have one jackass that goes off book and screws everything up, causing a domino effect where everyone else abandons the zipper merge and looks out for their own interests and merges ASAP.
If most people are waiting until the end to merge, one person merging early only really slows down the lane he is entering. I'm not sure why there would be a mass exodus into that lane then.

Really, the only jackass to ruin things would be the guy occupying both lanes, but if the lanes are pretty even because most are waiting to merge, that doesn't usually happen.

Peyton Marino said:
Smart beyond his years.

The looks of an adolescent - soul of yoda.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it depends on the road.

We have one highway hear that is 4 lanes one direction.

Near the end of it, it splits. 2 left lanes continue straight, 2 right lanes "exit" to connect with another highway.

The problem is rush hour mostly everyone is going in the right 2 lanes. The jackholes that stay in that third lane and then try to merge last minute screw it up for everyone.

a) There is no merge point

b) they are stopping in a live traffic lane

Clerks at large corporate stores who want to know your email, snail mail address, phone number, birth date, blood type, name of first born child.....I just want to buy a f@#king snickers.

Peyton Marino said:
Guys, I understand that zipper merge is the most efficient way to merge. I'm saying it's not a viable strategy because no one is going to follow it.
All it takes is halfway decent signage telling people to stay in all lanes until the merge point.

You're going to have one jackass that goes off book and screws everything up, causing a domino effect where everyone else abandons the zipper merge and looks out for their own interests and merges ASAP.
If most people are waiting until the end to merge, one person merging early only really slows down the lane he is entering. I'm not sure why there would be a mass exodus into that lane then.

Really, the only jackass to ruin things would be the guy occupying both lanes, but if the lanes are pretty even because most are waiting to merge, that doesn't usually happen.
sounds like we need to have someone run the analytics on this.

Peyton Marino said:
Nah

Clerks at large corporate stores who want to know your email, snail mail address, phone number, birth date, blood type, name of first born child.....I just want to buy a f@#king snickers.
and the panhandling they do now. "Would you like to donate a dollar to blah, blah, blah".

Peyton Marino said:

sounds like we need to have someone run the analytics on this.
I'll take Illinois. I'm loading up some IDOT data right now into my personal Google Analytic account. Be on the lookout for some charts tomorrow morning.

The clerk doesn't give a #### about that info. They're just doing their job.

Users who are viewing this thread