What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the kindest thing you have done (1 Viewer)

Mooks77

Footballguy
Not to sound like some goody two shoes, but since there are 3 pages of guys bragging about their ability to be underhanded. I thought we could have some stories about guys doing good things to promote Fantasy Football. Because really, it's not that hard to be a jack***, it's a lot harder to be kind.

For example, I wanted to get my dad into fantasy football, so I convinced him to join my league. By mid-season half his team was injured (he had Deuce, J. Walker, Caddy, Bulger, A. Green). And my team had some good depth so I gave him a good deal on plax, FWP, Jimmy Smith, and a couple other guys. He ended up making the playoffs, and I didn't. But I know he'll be back next year.

I bought my wife a dozen roses after i won $750 in my league 2 years ago. She thought that was the nicest thing. It made me feel good. Especially when I told her I only won $50.

Not to sound like some goody two shoes, but since there are 3 pages of guys bragging about their ability to be underhanded. I thought we could have some stories about guys doing good things to promote Fantasy Football. Because really, it's not that hard to be a jack***, it's a lot harder to be kind.

For example, I wanted to get my dad into fantasy football, so I convinced him to join my league. By mid-season half his team was injured (he had Deuce, J. Walker, Caddy, Bulger, A. Green). And my team had some good depth so I gave him a good deal on plax, FWP, Jimmy Smith, and a couple other guys. He ended up making the playoffs, and I didn't. But I know he'll be back next year.
So you screwed 10 other guys to help out your Dad?

One of our guys was in the hospital for a week during the end of the 2003 season.

He didn't ask me but I managed his team for him the last two weeks and that kept him in 3rd place. The person in 4th was me who would have passed him if I hadn't helped out. 3rd wins twice as much a payout as 4th.

Not to sound like some goody two shoes, but since there are 3 pages of guys bragging about their ability to be underhanded.  I thought we could have some stories about guys doing good things to promote Fantasy Football.  Because really, it's not that hard to be a jack***, it's a lot harder to be kind.

For example, I wanted to get my dad into fantasy football, so I convinced him to join my league.  By mid-season half his team was injured (he had Deuce, J. Walker, Caddy, Bulger, A. Green).  And my team had some good depth so I gave him a good deal on plax, FWP, Jimmy Smith, and a couple other guys.  He ended up making the playoffs, and I didn't.  But I know he'll be back next year.
seriously. cheating is a good thing???

For example, by mid-season half his team was injured (he had Deuce, J. Walker, Caddy, Bulger, A. Green). And my team had some good depth so I gave him a good deal on plax, FWP, Jimmy Smith, and a couple other guys.
i assume you meant to post this in the 'underhanded moves' thread.

Actually I think this would qualify as screwing myself instead of the 8 other guys.

Not to sound like some goody two shoes, but since there are 3 pages of guys bragging about their ability to be underhanded.  I thought we could have some stories about guys doing good things to promote Fantasy Football.  Because really, it's not that hard to be a jack***, it's a lot harder to be kind.

For example, I wanted to get my dad into fantasy football, so I convinced him to join my league.  By mid-season half his team was injured (he had Deuce, J. Walker, Caddy, Bulger, A. Green).  And my team had some good depth so I gave him a good deal on plax, FWP, Jimmy Smith, and a couple other guys.  He ended up making the playoffs, and I didn't.  But I know he'll be back next year.
Actually I think this would qualify as screwing myself instead of the 8 other guys.
I think If it were my league I would call it collusion. How do you think the teams he was able to beat to get into the playoffs feel about you giving him "a good deal"? Did any of them miss the playoffs b/c of it?

One of my leagues, we donated all the league earnings to a single owner when his wife went into the hospital. Sad to say, she didn't make it.

One of my leagues, we donated all the league earnings to a single owner when his wife went into the hospital. Sad to say, she didn't make it.
Very sad. But that was very classy of your league. :yes:

After 15 years in a league, and no trophy in the league to pass around; I bought a nice silver Cup, and engraved all prior year's winners on the base. Gave it to the league, and now whomoever wins gets the cup for the next 12 months, and has to update the engravings.

Of course, I used my championship winnings to buy that cup - but still. Other owners thought I was a moron.

I think If it were my league I would call it collusion.
:goodposting:
collusion n.

"A secret agreement between two or more parties for a fraudulent, illegal, or deceitful purpose."

Nothing was illegal, the other teams in the league could reject the trades if they found them unfair. It was well within league rules.

Each year in the league I commish I use my own money to buy a McFarlane Sports Pick figure of a player from the championship team. I make it into a little trophy with a base made out of laminated paper and cardboard. (I put the team's roster and accomplishments on this base, it actually looks pretty nice if I do say so myself ;) ) And I give the trophy to the champ, of course. The first year I just decided to do it on a whim after I saw a figure in a store from the champ's team. I didn't announce it and he was thrilled when I gave it to him later.

Now becaue of time and the fact we all live so far from each other, I just do the stuff for the base with Word and e-mail it to the champion, along with ordering and mailing the figure.

Each year in the league I commish I use my own money to buy a McFarlane Sports Pick figure of a player from the championship team. I make it into a little trophy with a base made out of laminated paper and cardboard. (I put the team's roster and accomplishments on this base, it actually looks pretty nice if I do say so myself ;) ) And I give the trophy to the champ, of course. The first year I just decided to do it on a whim after I saw a figure in a store from the champ's team. I didn't announce it and he was thrilled when I gave it to him later.

Now becaue of time and the fact we all live so far from each other, I just do the stuff for the base with Word and e-mail it to the champion, along with ordering and mailing the figure.
That's the coolest thing I've ever heard. :thumbup:

Called the guy i was playing that week and told him that he was starting a defense on a bye, so of course i lose because of it. Nice guys finish where?

Last edited by a moderator:
I paid for Footballguys.com subscriptions for other guys here a couple of years when folks were short on funds but really enjoyed the site. Made me feel good.

A following year one of the guys was doing much better financially and offered to pay my way. :thumbup:

I paid for Footballguys.com subscriptions for other guys here a couple of years when folks were short on funds but really enjoyed the site. Made me feel good.

A following year one of the guys was doing much better financially and offered to pay my way. :thumbup:
That's nice of you. You get some massive karma for that.

I was exchanging offers with another dynasty owner when he sends me one to true to believe. I accept it, forward the emails to the commish. Next morning he emails me and tells me he would like me to consider canceling the deal as he was drunk the night before. So I did. It wasn't but two months later that the same situation happened again and once again I canceled the trade. This time I told him that there would not be a next time. If he coulnd't control his drunken trading, it wasn't my fault. It's too bad because those trades would have set my team up for several years. :hot:

I was exchanging offers with another dynasty owner when he sends me one to true to believe. I accept it, forward the emails to the commish. Next morning he emails me and tells me he would like me to consider canceling the deal as he was drunk the night before. So I did. It wasn't but two months later that the same situation happened again and once again I canceled the trade. This time I told him that there would not be a next time. If he coulnd't control his drunken trading, it wasn't my fault. It's too bad because those trades would have set my team up for several years. :hot:
*lol* In my league, being drunk is no excuse. That's a YP.

I spent the $750 I won this year, on a stripper in Baltimore. She said she was going to college.......I thought it was nice of me to help support someone else's college education.

Not about my kindness- but others:

I live in gulfport ms. I was hit hard by Katrina- lost my apartment, a car, and most of my belongings. I am still battling with insurance 8 months later. A bunch of people here at FBG's donated money to help FBG's in need. I received much more help from FBG that from Red Cross ($300) and FEMA ($0) combined. Some great things happen here.

Gave away Larry Johnson in my league last year for Tory Holt before the Priest injury was settled, came in third to the New Holmes owner. Wait I didn't do to that to be nice, I did it because I am an idiot.

I live in gulfport ms. I was hit hard by Katrina- lost my apartment, a car, and most of my belongings. I am still battling with insurance 8 months later. A bunch of people here at FBG's donated money to help FBG's in need. I received much more help from FBG that from Red Cross ($300) and FEMA ($0) combined. Some great things happen here.
:thumbup: Now that's pretty cool! I didin't even know there were any donations to help out FBGs in need.

Kindest thing I have done, one time I traded away a promising rookie running back for my favorite player in a keeper league.....horrible homer pick.....

Promising rookie running back= LT

Favorite player= Ricky Williams

I all ready had Priest Holmes.......

Thankfully I managed to grab LJ and hold on to him....

a guy in a league of mine had a wife that was very ill due to cancer i believe...my wife and i own a Make your own bear store and we sent them a Teddy Bear...after his wife passed away we as a league sent him flowers...keep in mind this is an online leauge and none of us had ever met...that was approximately 1 yr ago and I know he is pretty sad right now

there were also 2 guys that were hit hard by Katrina and we sent each of their kids teddy bears too...all their toys were lost in the storm...

Last year, I played FF with this guy that was pretty new and I helped coach him through the entire season. He ended up taking 3rd place. Also, I made a trade with him: Stephen Davis (when he was on fire) for Reggie Wayne. This guy had no RBs and I really didn't need a WR but he begged me. It ended up working out for me because one of my WRs was TO and you all know what that turned out like. :thumbdown:

Sorry, that's the best I've got.

I didn't trade Terrence Murphy for an early 2nd round pick. Instead I informed the other owner that Murphy may never play again.

There was some confusion over removing the condition for a 1st rd pick with an owner, which he later understood that I was right, and most everyone in the league understood the trade, but since I am also the commish I gave him my 2007 1st rd pick (#7).. The pick I traded for which had the condition on it, turned out to be the 1.04 in 2007.

The condition was as follows, and I didn't list the other part of the trade, just the part in the comments which removed the condition of a previous trade. The other owner thought I was removing the conditional pick from a previous trade. Instead, this trade removed the condition on me getting the pick, not removed me getting the pick.

Here is part of the trade that removes the condition -

Plus the condition is removed from our trade earlier this year for your 2006 1st rd pick. The condition on that trade was if any combination of Greg Jones and Toefield start 6 games in 2005, I would get your pick

One of our guys was in the hospital for a week during the end of the 2003 season.

He didn't ask me but I managed his team for him the last two weeks and that kept him in 3rd place. The person in 4th was me who would have passed him if I hadn't helped out. 3rd wins twice as much a payout as 4th.

:goodposting: excellent

a guy in a league of mine had a wife that was very ill due to cancer i believe...my wife and i own a Make your own bear store and we sent them a Teddy Bear...after his wife passed away we as a league sent him flowers...keep in mind this is an online leauge and none of us had ever met...that was approximately 1 yr ago and I know he is pretty sad right now

there were also 2 guys that were hit hard by Katrina and we sent each of their kids teddy bears too...all their toys were lost in the storm...
very good of you

That's great! Hope all is well with you and your family. Good Luck!P.S.--Those who donated appreciate the fact that you didn't spend the money on a family vacation as someone else here did. :thumbdown: If we had known then what that t00l was gonna do you would have gotten even more money.

Users who are viewing this thread