What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight? (5 Viewers)

Sounds like fun. BTW can't get Mikkerphone at my local shop, said they don't have enough product yet because he's asked them multiple times to carry their beer. I did pick up some Alarmist Brewing  Entrenched IPA, good not great worth a try if you can find it.
It was all kinds of "meh". However, One Trick Pony and Noon Whistle did surprise.Otherwise it was completely average. Lagunitas had their Pils and IPA. Half Acre had Vallejo and Lead Feather. Meh. 

It was all kinds of "meh". However, One Trick Pony and Noon Whistle did surprise.Otherwise it was completely average. Lagunitas had their Pils and IPA. Half Acre had Vallejo and Lead Feather. Meh. 
Noon Whistle is 5 minutes away and have a very solid pale called Cozmo, definitely in the rotation for me.

Noon Whistle had a hoppy red called Gintza Please or something like that. Hopped with mosaic. It was really good. So was their milk stout. 

Banging Gavel also surprised me. Had a really good black IPA and some brew with limes and serrano peppers called La Ley that was awesome. 

Pig Minds' Joe Daddy was a really good coffee stout. 

Everything I had from One Trick Pony was good. 

Hailstorm had an amarillo/simcoe version of Prairie Madness that I thought was their best in awhile. The owner said they are keeping this version for awhile. 

Tribes 0-100 IIPA was really good. 

If you get the chance this summer, go to Tribes Fest. I understand how truly spoiled I was going to that one as my first "beer festival." Just about everything was "rarez bro". 

Next stop...DLD!

Sounds like fun. BTW can't get Mikkerphone at my local shop, said they don't have enough product yet because he's asked them multiple times to carry their beer. I did pick up some Alarmist Brewing  Entrenched IPA, good not great worth a try if you can find it.
The only place I have seen Mikerphone locally is at The Open Bottle. I think they post on FB or the twitter when they release beers and to whom and the list is maybe 15-20 places so yeah, distribution is limited. 

Lagunitas Citrusensis

Really enjoy that beer. Like Aunt Sally even better.
Born Yesterday is my favorite Lagunitas so far.

Just wrapped up a fun bday weekend. Beers I enjoyed:

Friday:

Hill Farmstead Flora Plum
Todd The Axe Man
Toppling Goliath XHOPS Gold
Tired Hands Alien Church
Tired Hands PUNGE
Angry Chair Kong Fuzi (Apricot Sour)

Saturday:

Angry Chair Strawberry Vanilla Margarita Gose
Green Bench Lot 2 (4 Roses BA sour stout w/blueberries)
Green Bench Shopping Cart Cowboys (Wine barrel aged golden sour w/grapefruit)
Jester King Atrial Rubicite Blend 5
Back East Tart Cherry Berliner
Trillium Summer Street IPA
Civil Society DankStar
J Wakefield DFPF (Dragon Fruit Passion Fruit Berliner)
Cycle Pallet 5 (Cognac BA Imperial Stout)
Cycle/Answer collab Le Chateau IPA
Orange Belt Cherry Electric Boots Berliner
Cantillon Vigneronne

Time to take a break for a few days. Im beat! :banned:

The only place I have seen Mikerphone locally is at The Open Bottle. I think they post on FB or the twitter when they release beers and to whom and the list is maybe 15-20 places so yeah, distribution is limited. 
Binny's by me has some of their stuff. Got Disco SuperFly Batch 2, excellent! I also got G Funk Era which sounds awesome as well.

Born Yesterday is my favorite Lagunitas so far.

Just wrapped up a fun bday weekend. Beers I enjoyed:

Friday:

Hill Farmstead Flora Plum
Todd The Axe Man
Toppling Goliath XHOPS Gold
Tired Hands Alien Church
Tired Hands PUNGE
Angry Chair Kong Fuzi (Apricot Sour)

Saturday:

Angry Chair Strawberry Vanilla Margarita Gose
Green Bench Lot 2 (4 Roses BA sour stout w/blueberries)
Green Bench Shopping Cart Cowboys (Wine barrel aged golden sour w/grapefruit)
Jester King Atrial Rubicite Blend 5
Back East Tart Cherry Berliner
Trillium Summer Street IPA
Civil Society DankStar
J Wakefield DFPF (Dragon Fruit Passion Fruit Berliner)
Cycle Pallet 5 (Cognac BA Imperial Stout)
Cycle/Answer collab Le Chateau IPA
Orange Belt Cherry Electric Boots Berliner
Cantillon Vigneronne

Time to take a break for a few days. Im beat! :banned:
You've been drinking like a king all weekend man!!

Last night:

Wachusett Black Shack Porter

Lagunitas Brown Shugga

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter

Founders Breakfast Stout

Founders Dirty *******

Troegs Java Head Stout

Needed to have some of my Devils Backbone with the news of the AB-InBev acquisition today...

Drinking their Bravo Four Point Session IPA and Cran-Gose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chicago hop heads...public service announcement. Apparently (I will try it tonight and post my thoughts after) there is a sister brewery to Une Annee called Hubbard's Cave who have made some very excellent stouts via ratings to date, they just release their first IIPA. It is garnering very favorable comparisons to the NE IPAs ie Tree House/Trillium. They only distro to 32 stores in Chicago and only have a facebook page. Will post my review tonight.

Blue Monk, Buffalo's best beer bar and the one that held Zwanze Day 2015, is officially closing this Saturday.  There's a dispute between the owners....one of them is pretty much the king of Buffalo's beer scene and owns/runs all of the best beer bars in the area.  The other is the son of a guy who owns a bunch of bars in the Buffalo area, dive bars and kiddie clubs.  Apparently they haven't been on good terms for a few years now.  They lease the space from the latter guy's father, and I think the lease is up and it's a very contentious negotiation, something like that.  The first guy has basically decided to close the doors and setup shop elsewhere.  This is very sad.  Last year, there was a similar spat between this landlord and a different longtime established dive bar favorite....the dive bar closed, the and they reopened as some sort of craft beer restaurant and has not taken off at all.

Blue Monk is throwing a closing party on Saturday, 11-3 PM, closed door ticketed event.  $50 gets you in and it's basically a giant bottle share with the bar providing all of the bottles.  They're basically pulling out everything from the cellar, setting them on the bar and saying go nuts (though I assume it's a little better organized than that).  They had a similar event last weekend that I couldn't make, and decided to do it big one last time.  He's been posting pictures of stuff he's grabbing from the cellar, a bunch of Belgians I've never heard of, a ton of big barrel beers, a whole host of Evil Twin, Bruery, Against the Grain, etc.

Weather is projected to be 68 and sunny, a perfect spring day.  They have the best outdoor beer garden in the area, to boot.

I have my ticket.  Gonna be one hell of a way to send off the bar once and for all.

Blue Monk, Buffalo's best beer bar and the one that held Zwanze Day 2015, is officially closing this Saturday.  There's a dispute between the owners....one of them is pretty much the king of Buffalo's beer scene and owns/runs all of the best beer bars in the area.  The other is the son of a guy who owns a bunch of bars in the Buffalo area, dive bars and kiddie clubs.  Apparently they haven't been on good terms for a few years now.  They lease the space from the latter guy's father, and I think the lease is up and it's a very contentious negotiation, something like that.  The first guy has basically decided to close the doors and setup shop elsewhere.  This is very sad.  Last year, there was a similar spat between this landlord and a different longtime established dive bar favorite....the dive bar closed, the and they reopened as some sort of craft beer restaurant and has not taken off at all.

Blue Monk is throwing a closing party on Saturday, 11-3 PM, closed door ticketed event.  $50 gets you in and it's basically a giant bottle share with the bar providing all of the bottles.  They're basically pulling out everything from the cellar, setting them on the bar and saying go nuts (though I assume it's a little better organized than that).  They had a similar event last weekend that I couldn't make, and decided to do it big one last time.  He's been posting pictures of stuff he's grabbing from the cellar, a bunch of Belgians I've never heard of, a ton of big barrel beers, a whole host of Evil Twin, Bruery, Against the Grain, etc.

Weather is projected to be 68 and sunny, a perfect spring day.  They have the best outdoor beer garden in the area, to boot.

I have my ticket.  Gonna be one hell of a way to send off the bar once and for all.
Sounds awesome, sucks you're losing a great beer bar though.

Sounds awesome, sucks you're losing a great beer bar though.
It does suck, but it'll be alright.

Blue Monk had like a 6-year run there and spawned so many other beer bars in the area.  I went to high school like a block away and all through high school it was a biker bar until it closed in like 2008 and sat vacant.

He's already announced his new spot, which will be about 10 minutes walking distance from my house, beautiful old building from the turn of the 19th century right on a lake.  The place is currently used as an event space right now but I guess he's partnering with some restaurateur who will run the food side while he runs the beer side, and they're turning it into a full-time restaurant.  Blue Monk is like a 35 minute walk from my house, so it's a welcome move in my book.

Stopped by DryHop in Wrigleyville for lunch and a beer after meeting with a client today -- was fairly impressed considering they're pretty new and a nano.  Had a blueberry lavender saison which was strongly above average or better, my boss had a rye IPA which was good too.  Food was also better than expected -- upscale / trendy gastropub style.  I'll definitely go back before / after a Cubs game when I can dig into the lineup fully.

Chicago hop heads...public service announcement. Apparently (I will try it tonight and post my thoughts after) there is a sister brewery to Une Annee called Hubbard's Cave who have made some very excellent stouts via ratings to date, they just release their first IIPA. It is garnering very favorable comparisons to the NE IPAs ie Tree House/Trillium. They only distro to 32 stores in Chicago and only have a facebook page. Will post my review tonight.
Heard of them. Will seek it out. Thanks. 

ETA: They have it near me. Wish I saw this and I would have picked it up with Mad Flavor. If they still have it tomorrow, I will pick one up. 

In San Fran on business. Drinking Mirror Pond Pale Ale at a local place. It's fine, a typical pale ale. I'm assuming it is local--never heard of it.

eta: what do you know, it is a flagship pale ale from Deschutes. Oregon, not exactly local.

Hubbards Cave is distributed to Michigan. I had one of their stouts. It was very good but not memorable. I am intrigued by the IPA.

Speaking of local versions of the hazy juicebombs that all the kids are talking about these days: Hawks....Mikerphone Mad Flavor is out.

Tree House Triple Shot stout (growler was filled Feb 11th). Still fully carbed and absolutely delicious. Rich creamy coffee, zero hint of the 9% ABV.

Heard of them. Will seek it out. Thanks. 

ETA: They have it near me. Wish I saw this and I would have picked it up with Mad Flavor. If they still have it tomorrow, I will pick one up. 
Got a Mad Flavor last night too....might go back tomorrow if they still have some but they likely will. This place had a ton of BA Mikerphone...insanse selection.

Ok so I've had five NE Beers. Tree House Julius and Eureka, Trillium Congress St and Double Dry Hopped Fort Point and Heady. Fresh IIPA can go toe to toe with the big boys on that list IMO. Really juicy and citrusy, mainly grapefruit. Flat out excellent. Could be the best I've had, it's tough to rank since it's been awhile since I've had the NE beers. If you can find it get some. It was just bottled on Monday. I'm going to try and get more tomorrow.

Trying the 2016 KBS. Very good, but I have to say that I like Sunday Morning Stout, Event Horizon and Pirate BOMB probably a bit more.

Pirate Bomb is great, but $10 a 12 ouncer makes it tough to enjoy.  KBS at $5 a much better value IMO.
wow. that's what a regular prairie BOMB! for us is here.  a pirate BOMB! is $12.50. KBS is more than $5 here. So far for my money the $16 4 pack of Sunday Morning Stout or $9 Big Bad Baptist are the way to go.

I tried another KBS last night that I got from a different location just to see and believe Big Bad Baptist is ahead of it too.

i guess the positive is i wont have to do the hunt next year.

wow. that's what a regular prairie BOMB! for us is here.  a pirate BOMB! is $12.50. KBS is more than $5 here. So far for my money the $16 4 pack of Sunday Morning Stout or $9 Big Bad Baptist are the way to go.

I tried another KBS last night that I got from a different location just to see and believe Big Bad Baptist is ahead of it too.

Here in NWI:  KBS was $22.99 / 4 pack, BOMB! is $7.99 / single, Pirate BOMB! $9.99 / single.  I personally love KBS -- but if they ever bottle CBS again IMO it's even better.  They're all great beers, and I'm not even really a huge stout drinker.  Not that I don't like it -- but I drink way more of a bunch of other styles.

ETA: Bell's Black Note is right there too IMO, but I don't think we're getting that this year.

I mis-read.  $10 was prarie bomb....haven't had pirate yet.  Will have to look up Big Bad Baptist next time.

So went back today and got two more Hubbard's Cave Fresh IIPAs some more Mikerphone Mad Flavor as well as Nature's Candy, Disco SuperFly Batch 2 and Lyrical Ganster. Also picked up 3 Sheeps Really Cool Waterslides.

Hawks64 said:
Got a Mad Flavor last night too....might go back tomorrow if they still have some but they likely will. This place had a ton of BA Mikerphone...insanse selection.
Grabbed today:

Mad Flavor

Hubbard's Cave Fresh IPA x2

Permanent Funeral

Lizard King

And forgot I left a sixer of Waldo's in the trunk of the car. 

So went back today and got two more Hubbard's Cave Fresh IIPAs some more Mikerphone Mad Flavor as well as Nature's Candy, Disco SuperFly Batch 2 and Lyrical Ganster. Also picked up 3 Sheeps Really Cool Waterslides.
Was up in Sheboygan last summer and took a liking to Waterslides. I know, of all the beers in the list to comment on it was the most unlikely but thought I would throw my two cents in. 

Going to be opening up a Mad Flavor soon to celebrate pretty much the end of  the initial tax season. 

Users who are viewing this thread