What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Player That Has Never Received An MVP Vote Is Most Likely To Win MVP (1 Viewer)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
I believe there are 24 active players that have received at least 1 MVP vote in prior seasons. The league expanded the balloting to include more players last year, so a lot of the primary candidates would not be eligible.

GUYS WITH PRIOR VOTES FOR MVP:
A.J. Brown, Aaron Rodgers, Bobby Wagner, Carson Wentz, Cooper Kupp, Dak Prescott, Derek Carr, Derrick Henry, Ezekiel Elliot, Geno Smith, Jalen Hurts, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Justin Fields, Justin Herbert, Justin Jefferson, Lamar Jackson, Matt Ryan, Micah Parsons, Nick Bosa, Patrick Mahomes, Trevor Lawrence, Tua Tagovailoa, Tyreek Hill.

EXCLUDING those players, who would you nominate as your pick of a player to be a legit MVP candidate?

Is it cheating to say Bryce Young?

I'm kinda surprised Davante Adams never got a vote.
I don’t think it’s cheating, but it sets up the question if someone not in the league yet is a more likely to win MVP than the entire league minus 24 players.

I believe there are 24 active players that have received at least 1 MVP vote in prior seasons. The league expanded the balloting to include more players last year, so a lot of the primary candidates would not be eligible.

A.J. Brown, Aaron Rodgers, Bobby Wagner, Carson Wentz, Cooper Kupp, Dak Prescott, Derek Carr, Derrick Henry, Ezekiel Elliot, Geno Smith, Jalen Hurts, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, Justin Fields, Justin Herbert, Justin Jefferson, Lamar Jackson, Matt Ryan, Micah Parsons, Nick Bosa, Patrick Mahomes, Trevor Lawrence, Tua Tagovailoa, Tyreek Hill.

EXCLUDING those players, who would you nominate as your pick of a player to be a legit MVP candidate?
George Kittle - if he does this year what he did last year & with yet another QB behind center (or again, multiple) he should be in consideration. Surprised he didn’t get a vote.

Justin Herbert seems like the most obvious. How in the world have Fields, Tua and Lawrence received votes???
In the case of Fields, although I agree it was a stretch based on how bad the team was, I would also say that they would have been competitive in roughly 0 games last year without him. Thus, he was pretty valuable to the team.

George Kittle - if he does this year what he did last year & with yet another QB behind center (or again, multiple) he should be in consideration. Surprised he didn’t get a vote.
No tight end has EVER won MVP, and you think George Kittle should be in consideration for it? lol

Is it cheating to say Bryce Young?

I'm kinda surprised Davante Adams never got a vote.
I don’t think it’s cheating, but it sets up the question if someone not in the league yet is a more likely to win MVP than the entire league minus 24 players.
I think it is more likely. MVP is basically a QB only award these days, so once you eliminate the guy who have already gotten votes, who is more likely, a highly touted prospect who has never played in the NFL yet, or someone who has played but never gotten a vote, like say, Ryan Tannehill?

No tight end has EVER won MVP, and you think George Kittle should be in consideration for it? lol
Kelce didn't even win OPOY when he finished broke the TE receiving yards record, and was 2nd in the NFL in 2020.

Justin Herbert seems like the most obvious. How in the world have Fields, Tua and Lawrence received votes???

In the case of Fields, although I agree it was a stretch based on how bad the team was, I would also say that they would have been competitive in roughly 0 games last year without him. Thus, he was pretty valuable to the team.
He got a single 5th place vote. Those 5th place votes don't mean much. For example, the Bills assistant athletic trainer (who performed CPR) literally got a vote this year for league MVP.

As mentioned it's usually a QB type award. Subtracting the guys who already got votes that leaves us with such as Murray, Watson, and Daniel Jones. Or a rookie.

As mentioned it's usually a QB type award. Subtracting the guys who already got votes that leaves us with such as Murray, Watson, and Daniel Jones. Or a rookie.
Watson would just be a really crazy news cycle so hey, who doesn’t love a good trainwreck?

That one gets my vote.

Russell Wilson wins both Comeback POY and MVP in first year under Sean Payton?

Before the laughing emojis go nuts, 2017 wasn't that long ago when Wilson led the league in TD passes.

For age concerns, A-Rod won his last two at age 37/38. Russ is 34.

Last edited:

Before the laughing emojis go nuts, 2017 wasn't that long ago when Wilson led the league in TD passes.

He’s the first one that came to mind after Lawrence.
Homer pick - Ryan Tannehill

dark horse - Garrett Wilson

Aaron Rodgers Love?
Justin Fields
MIN Cousins
DET Goff

Dak Prescott
Jalen Hurts
WAS Howell?
NYG Jones

Derek Carr
ATL Ridder?
TBB ?
CAR Rookie?

Geno Smith
SF Purdy/Lance?
ARI Kyler/backup?
LAR Stafford?

Tua Tagovailoa
Josh Allen
NEP Mac?
NYJ (Rodgers wouldn't count)

Trevor Lawrence
TEN Tannehill?
IND Rookie? (Lamar wouldn't count)
HOU Rookie?

Joe Burrow
BAL Lamar Jackson?
PIT Pickett
CLE Watson

Patrick Mahomes
Justin Herbert
DEN Wilson
LVR Jimmy G

Looking at that I would say Purdy or Lance if either got the chance to play the full season. Watson has the best chance of playing like an MVP but there will probably be voters who won't vote him under any circumstances.

Then it's Stafford, Mac, Jimmy G, Goff, Wilson and Pickett. The Rams are rebuilding, Mac and Pickett have shown signs but aren't close to mvp play. Jimmy G hasn't done it with Shanahan who knows him even better than Josh, so I don't have high hopes even with Davante to help him. Wilson looked so bad last year, and as much as I like Payton I don't think this is a one year plan. That leaves Goff, who has the o line and adds Jameson while subtracting the running back who took his touchdowns.

In order I'd say
Watson
Purdy
Lance
Goff
Mac

Not a crazy thought but all signs this offseason point to the Broncos wanting to reign Russ in and focus on the run game.

I know what you mean but they won 3 games. He was easily the most valuable Bear but that's about it.

Trey Lance or CMC
shocked Let Russ cook never received a vote
I think his personality is part of the reason. It's clear that people around football aren't exactly smitten with the guy. As much as MVP should be about play on the field, it's still a popularity contest at some level.

Crazy that Kelce didn't get any MVP votes this year. I get Mahomes but Kelce really deserved some consideration this last year.

Not a crazy thought but all signs this offseason point to the Broncos wanting to reign Russ in and focus on the run game.
Great point. On second thought I would expect Wilson to have improved numbers all around, but not achieving gaudy MVP levels due to the reasons you cited.

Rule out any position other than QB. It's going to be exceedingly hard for a non-QB to win one.

Jared Goff was a former #1 overall pick, has a strong arm, took a team to the SB once, has a TON of weapons, a coach that believes in him, a team with draft capital, an OL with two legit studs and a division that's theirs for the taking.

Users who are viewing this thread