What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's going with receptions to RBs this year? (1 Viewer)

Tool

Footballguy
I haven't watched many of the games this year but wondering what's going on with receptions to RB's this year.  Haven't looked at all the box scores but yesterday McCaffrey, Chris Thompson and Barkley all had 13 or 14 receptions.  Just wondering on people's thoughts on this and if this trend will continue.  Will these guys have 200+ receptions this year? It makes their ppr value go through the roof.

Take a look at the rushing leaders. Breida leads w 184. I know it is only 2 weeks but that is a low total. Even RBs are getting their yards through the air. 

Thanks I guess I’m wondering about the reasons why. Is this a permanent change? Is this a strategy change maybe because RBs take less direct hits on receptions? This could have a big impact on ppr leagues.

It's warm and defenses are at full strength.  When it gets cold and defenses start taking injuries, things will level out. Last year after 3 or so weeks, Chris Thompson was the number one rb and tarik Cohen was top 10.

Also has to do with the O lines right now, I know the giants are terrible so Eli doesn’t have anytime and just has to dump it off, haven’t really seen the panthers but heard their line isn’t the greatest. So whether they get better as the season goes on might impact what those couple rbs do

I haven't watched many of the games this year but wondering what's going on with receptions to RB's this year.  Haven't looked at all the box scores but yesterday McCaffrey, Chris Thompson and Barkley all had 13 or 14 receptions.  Just wondering on people's thoughts on this and if this trend will continue.  Will these guys have 200+ receptions this year? It makes their ppr value go through the roof.
These teams have crappy o-lines so the Qb's don't have time to go through their progressions. They become checkdown artists. Alex Smith is still getting comfortable in the offense so he's reverting back to bad habits and Thompson is Amp Lee 2.0

I only watched the Giant game. If Elie doesn't have a good line he is useless. He has no  ability to extend plays and no time to look downfield. It sucks for Beckham who was missed again a few times for what would have been big plays. I think the Giants have a chance to get the line going once they have played together for a few games. It's gonna be all dump off city until then.

Also has to do with the O lines right now, I know the giants are terrible so Eli doesn’t have anytime and just has to dump it off, haven’t really seen the panthers but heard their line isn’t the greatest. So whether they get better as the season goes on might impact what those couple rbs do
The Panthers line was already hurt and they were missing their two best players yesterday.  The line is an absolute mess.  As a Panthers fan, I was shocked they did as well as they did (which was still pretty horrible).  It was clear that the intention was to turn the running game into the short passing game.  It would have worked too if Funchess, Smith, and CJ Anderson weren't dropping everything that Newton threw them.  Cam was fantastic yesterday given the situation. 

The Panthers line was already hurt and they were missing their two best players yesterday.  The line is an absolute mess.  As a Panthers fan, I was shocked they did as well as they did (which was still pretty horrible).  It was clear that the intention was to turn the running game into the short passing game.  It would have worked too if Funchess, Smith, and CJ Anderson weren't dropping everything that Newton threw them.  Cam was fantastic yesterday given the situation. 
Cam is one tough football player. He took a wicked cheap shot to the head and was able to come back, run, and play well. 

Cam is one tough football player. He took a wicked cheap shot to the head and was able to come back, run, and play well. 
I was shocked he didn't have a concussion or something seriously wrong after that dirty shot.  I'm really bummed they weren't able to pull off the win, but with the way the defense played they definitely didn't deserve it.  Sad that with all of the issues on the offensive line and at receiver it was the defense that let them down.  Luke Kuechly even had a few mistakes yesterday.  I don't know what it is about the Falcons, but Carolina routinely plays it's worst games of the season against them.

All these check downs to RBs are starting to make PPR really dumb.  A 2 yard catch is worth 6 times the points of a 2 yard run.  

Dumb. 

It's nice that PPR has less variance... But it doesn't feel right giving points for just catching a pass without gaining yards. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Or move to what Cecil suggested. Change ppr to rbs getting .5, wrs the full point, and te getting 1.5.

I agree things will need to be tweaked if this pace continues. 
:X  I hate tiered scoring even more than regular PPR. Catching a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 10 is worthless, but why should a TE get 1.8 points for it while the RB only gets 0.8 pts for it? There's nothing magical about TE receptions that make them worth more than RB or WR receptions. 

Or move to what Cecil suggested. Change ppr to rbs getting .5, wrs the full point, and te getting 1.5.

Yeah 0.5 is starting to make sense. I mean, I can’t complain, I have Kamara and CMC but in reality it’s silly when I see their point totals and think they blew up only to find they have less than 100 YFS but 14 receptions. 

If you play in full PPR leagues, you need to draft accordingly and take advantage of it instead of complaining. I prefer standard formats but I play both and my draft cheat sheets are very different in both.
:rolleyes:  Why can't I do both? I do draft accordingly but that doesn't mean I can't still think it is ridiculous. 

Why do people even use ESPN? I have one league that uses it and I hate it.
Yeah it's terrible.  I think yahoo is even worse, they didn't even have an effective pre draft ranking system this year.  Guy in my league tried to auto draft and it drafted him QBs in rounds 2 through 5.

All the free sites that I've played on suck.  Haven't tried nfl.com...

If you play in full PPR leagues, you need to draft accordingly and take advantage of it instead of complaining. I prefer standard formats but I play both and my draft cheat sheets are very different in both.
This.  Receptions are cheap points for sure, but identifying the guys who are going to get them and drafting accordingly is a strategy as much as anything else.  I play in leagues that have multiple flex spots and I always fill my bench with a few pass catching backs.  They almost always end up being useful at some point when I need a spot starter that will get me 10-12 points.

Yeah it's terrible.  I think yahoo is even worse, they didn't even have an effective pre draft ranking system this year.  Guy in my league tried to auto draft and it drafted him QBs in rounds 2 through 5.

All the free sites that I've played on suck.  Haven't tried nfl.com...
Hahaha, that's awful. I refuse to snake draft these days so I haven't run into that issue. I can't think of anything I like about ESPN but I really don't like their mobile app. Yahoo's app is a lot better. 

Gotta go with My Fantasy League.  It takes a little getting used to, but once you've figured everything out it's definitely the best in the game. 
I'm still trying to figure a few things out on that site. I hate their box score display on the phone. It's real weird and difficult to see what's going on, but overall I do like it. It is the best site in fantasy right now for sure, so many options. 

Yeah 0.5 is starting to make sense. I mean, I can’t complain, I have Kamara and CMC but in reality it’s silly when I see their point totals and think they blew up only to find they have less than 100 YFS but 14 receptions. 
If your site doesn’t allow ponits per first down sure. Otherwise any points per rec is dumb. It’s like the new point per carry or completion leagues. It doesn’t help the real team so why give points for it.

We switched to the .5PPR this year for RBs and it has helped. We didn’t got to 1.5 for TEs. That seems like it would be overkill. 

Most of the free agents were 3rd down back types and the QB position is real poor right now. Backups are dreadful and the old guys can't even get pushed out of the league. 

All these smallish fast young OLBs blaze right in when really they should lose a battle to the Tackles. I think the dump pass deals with them some too

Let's be real here, the league is falling apart at the seams.

This ain't your daddy's NFL, hell, this ain't even your nephew's NFL, lol.

Obviously have to draft accordingly. But why have dumb scoring rules that reward points for a mostly meaningless stat?

I'm still trying to figure a few things out on that site. I hate their box score display on the phone. It's real weird and difficult to see what's going on, but overall I do like it. It is the best site in fantasy right now for sure, so many options. 
Use the MFL Platinum App to check scores.

Do you mind trying to explain what exactly should happen in such a play?   A defensive player just suppose to reach down and tap him sort of congratulating him on getting every inch possible in his "safety slide"  Love me some Cam dude plays to the extreme

(fwiw) I'm not insinuating such play is acceptable every time all the time  It's actually not so fair that a guy like TB12 who may not be able to get near the same yardage in such a play isn't actually punished near as often  More the nature of the beast that it can happen  Defensive players hope to intimidate and prevent  Watching the play it doesn't really look like the DB can really pull back  It may not matter so much but just re-watching the play it appears Cam is sizing up the defenders' pre-play for his ability to make yards on a rush  https://youtu.be/Rw8XScipo2k

I'd totally respect an answer which suggests that other QB's are held just as accountable for such plays

Do you mind trying to explain what exactly should happen in such a play?   A defensive player just suppose to reach down and tap him sort of congratulating him on getting every inch possible in his "safety slide"  Love me some Cam dude plays to the extreme

(fwiw) I'm not insinuating such play is acceptable every time all the time  It's actually not so fair that a guy like TB12 who may not be able to get near the same yardage in such a play isn't actually punished near as often  More the nature of the beast that it can happen  Defensive players hope to intimidate and prevent  Watching the play it doesn't really look like the DB can really pull back  It may not matter so much but just re-watching the play it appears Cam is sizing up the defenders' pre-play for his ability to make yards on a rush  https://youtu.be/Rw8XScipo2k

I'd totally respect an answer which suggests that other QB's are held just as accountable for such plays
English dude.  I have no idea what these words mean.

Come on, really?  

It was helmet to helmet and given the fact that Cam was sliding it was very intentional.  I agree some  calls these days are really questionable but that was as blatant as it gets.  It was an easy call ejection.

PPR can be easily balanced by also giving points for number of rushes.  We give .4 points per rush (as long as the running back has more than 4 rushes) and 2 points per reception.  It balalnces the WR's and RB's pretty nicely.

It is time to move to points per first down. PPR is just silly at this point.
Yeah, I scoffed at this idea at first but I really think it’s going to be the standard format in 3 or 4 years. 

Teams are using the short passing game instead of standard rushes. The NFL is rapidly evolving, so should FF.

It's warm and defenses are at full strength. When it gets cold and defenses start taking injuries, things will level out. Last year after 3 or so weeks, Chris Thompson was the number one rb and tarik Cohen was top 10.
I remember reading about how rushing efficiency correlated to weather and the hotter it was the worse RBs performed.

It is time to move to points per first down. PPR is just silly at this point.
I think PPR should be adjusted to the depth of the target. I don't know exactly how it would work but something like 5 yard targets should be worth .25PPR and 20 yard targets should be 1PPR. 

Come on, really?  

It was helmet to helmet and given the fact that Cam was sliding it was very intentional.  I agree some  calls these days are really questionable but that was as blatant as it gets.  It was an easy call ejection.
 You seen clips of QB's throwing "over the middle" https://youtu.be/zMWVMxIlHyQ?t=19s

It's okay if you can't really answer how you expect defenders to react on such plays  It's rather obvious to me you can't expect full effort without mixed results at times  No rule that Cam can't decide to try an truck some smaller CB's

Not actually stating this specific play is a questionable call  It's more my impression that it's a play to be expected  Only can dumb things down so much while creating more special rules  In this instance Cam is only one of a few QB's who can slide so far  Fact is that Ref's have changed how much credit is given for these plays too which is enough to even question when is the burden of proof more towards the QB  

I know fans want to see exciting huge plays on offense  But can't you at least stop and consider boredom for the defenders  I swear some football fans may actually prefer watching frisbee football and not even know it

That sounds reasonable, but I think points per first down is easier and better. Catching a 3 yard pass on 3rd and 3 is harder to do than catching a 12 yard pass on 3rd and 25.
How about scoring as it relates in the W/L column  Think a player deserves the same points dinking n' dunking all the 2nd half burning up the clock  

I remember reading about how rushing efficiency correlated to weather and the hotter it was the worse RBs performed
It makes sense for four reasons. 

One, it might actually matter.  Maybe it's just hard to run as fast as you can, get hit by several huge dudes and get up and do it again within 45 seconds when it's hot. By the end of the game it's tough on the defense but at the start it might be harder for the runner.

Two, maybe the weather doesn't matter, but coaches adjust their game plans because they believe the weather matters. Maybe some coaches adjust differently. 

Three, football is a war of attrition, and later in the season, defenses get banged up. It's easier to attack a bad linebacker who was promoted from the practice squad than the initial starting 11 of a good d. Offenses get banged up, too, but the offense can choose to run right more than left, or start their backup rb when their starter gets hurt.  That's why guys like Jeremy hill emerge as second half monsters and then disappear the next year.  

Fourth, some teams or some players just quit. Or at least they don't play as hard. It's hard to be 2-7 and give your best effort in week 10. So some defenses are genuinely weaker in the second half. 

Users who are viewing this thread