What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's so great about the sport of golf? (1 Viewer)

The guys who excel at golf were 10x the athlete in whatever your best sport was in HS.  
Let’s not get carried away. Not all. Sure there’s a new breed but Beef Johnson, Lumpy and others are still out there. Doubt Lowry could beat me in a high jump or 40 yard dash. 

List your stats bro.
I was the first guy in my high school to ever power clean 300 pounds. (Despite graduating before I turned 18).  I played football and was the center, we didn’t have wrestling which would have been my natural sport, and was named all area. I talked to my coach and discussed playing in college but focused on academics. I bench pressed 400 pounds in grad school and at age 43 I could still run a 28 second, (28.33) 200 meter dash at a weight of 225 pounds and bench press 400 although that’s via the bench press calculator using reps at 315. I’m a better natural athlete than the vast majority of golfers. They are more skilled at golf naturally. Golf is a skill. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Add cycling to that (#tourdefrancesucks)
When Lance was at his peak doping I loved watching this on TV.

Knew which days were set up to be the leg that would most likely determine the winner.

The build up to where Lance vs Ulrich (was that his name) would start a climb. Then Lance would give the other guy a look then just take off the EPO coursing through his veins.

As macho as any sport gets, especially considering they are wearing tights and riding a 10 speed.

When Lance was at his peak doping I loved watching this on TV.

Knew which days were set up to be the leg that would most likely determine the winner.

The build up to where Lance vs Ulrich (was that his name) would start a climb. Then Lance would give the other guy a look then just take off the EPO coursing through his veins.

As macho as any sport gets, especially considering they are wearing tights and riding a 10 speed.
Watching paint dry is preferable

I like playing golf.  Certainly the most challenging sport I've ever played... and it's consistently challenging.  I mean from round to round.  I like watching the best in the world make it look easy because I know how hard the game is.  

wazoo11 said:
What makes you tune in for four hours of coverage on a Sunday? How is the sport of golf appealing?

ETA, not trying to stir the pot. I want to get into the sport but never got down to follow.
Why do you want to get into golf? Why not find something more interesting from the get-go?

Golfers are athletes the same as race car drivers and bowlers and equestrians are athletes.  They aren't.  Skilled at what they do?  Absolutely.  Athletes they are not.

I do not understand the fascination with the golfers are not athletes argument.  So what?  Skill is most important, but the better physical condition you're in the better you are at the game. 

Athlete/Non-athlete scale

Football, Basketball, Hockey, Track & Field, Gymnastics, Rugby, Water Polo, Tennis, etc.

Baseball, Table Tennis, Cricket

Golf

Polo

Bowling, Curling

Horse Racing, NASCAR

Archery, Shooting, Hunting

eSports

I do not understand the fascination with the golfers are not athletes argument.  So what?  Skill is most important, but the better physical condition you're in the better you are at the game. 
You mean like John Daly, Duffy Waldorf, and Craig Stadler?

Golfers are athletes the same as race car drivers and bowlers and equestrians are athletes.  They aren't.  Skilled at what they do?  Absolutely.  Athletes they are not.
John Daly is to Tiger Woods, as Paul Mokeski is to Michael Jordan.

Why would anybody chose to watch golf on a Saturday / Sunday afternoon?

Is it hailing outside where you live? ... or do you have 2 broken legs and are stuck on the couch?

I'm not against all things golf, I played 36 holes Monday  .... but there has to be a dozen things better to do on your day off than watch other people play.

I'll check out the highlights that evening.

Well, at least you’re acknowledging golf is a sport which is a step above many people who don’t like golf.
It all depends on your definition of "sport".  To me that includes having a direct affect on your opponent.  Golf does not have that.  You are as good as you are and it doesn't matter how good your opponents are.  You may say they can put pressure on you but again that is all on you as to your pressure handling capabilities. 

I am not saying that golf is easy or you don't need athletic abilities.  It just doesn't meet my definition of a sport. 

I always wonder about people who feel the need to put down activities that others enjoy.  I like to watch golf.  Why should that need to be defended?  I don't like watching baseball, but I don't attack people who do because who the #### cares?  I don't watch basketball much outside of the playoffs either, but there are some people who watch every game they can.  Good for them.  I'm glad they can enjoy something I find monotonous.  

The reason I like watching golf?  It's relaxing.  It's fun to see how skilled the pros are after hacking my way around the course earlier in the day.  It gives me perspective on how far away from them my game is.  I like to gamble and golf is one of the sports I gamble on, so I usually have a guy or two to root on(like that beautiful beast Shane Lowry last weekend).

wazoo11 said:
What makes you tune in for four hours of coverage on a Sunday? How is the sport of golf appealing?

ETA, not trying to stir the pot. I want to get into the sport but never got down to follow.
Golf is one of the few sports where watching professionals is better at the event than on TV.

I always wonder about people who feel the need to put down activities that others enjoy.  I like to watch golf.  Why should that need to be defended?  I don't like watching baseball, but I don't attack people who do because who the #### cares?  I don't watch basketball much outside of the playoffs either, but there are some people who watch every game they can.  Good for them.  I'm glad they can enjoy something I find monotonous.  

The reason I like watching golf?  It's relaxing.  It's fun to see how skilled the pros are after hacking my way around the course earlier in the day.  It gives me perspective on how far away from them my game is.  I like to gamble and golf is one of the sports I gamble on, so I usually have a guy or two to root on(like that beautiful beast Shane Lowry last weekend).
I don't see anybody putting anyone or anything down.  Stating that golf isn't a sport isn't putting it, or anyone down.  Stating that it's boring isn't putting it or anyone down.  

Judge Smails said:
Let’s not get carried away. Not all. Sure there’s a new breed but Beef Johnson, Lumpy and others are still out there. Doubt Lowry could beat me in a high jump or 40 yard dash. 
Not a chance.  You're in - I think - your 50s.  You're not beating Shane Lowry in anything that requires athleticism.  

Ketamine Dreams said:
I was the first guy in my high school to ever power clean 300 pounds. (Despite graduating before I turned 18).  I played football and was the center, we didn’t have wrestling which would have been my natural sport, and was named all area. I talked to my coach and discussed playing in college but focused on academics. I bench pressed 400 pounds in grad school and at age 43 I could still run a 28 second, (28.33) 200 meter dash at a weight of 225 pounds and bench press 400 although that’s via the bench press calculator using reps at 315. I’m a better natural athlete than the vast majority of golfers. They are more skilled at golf naturally. Golf is a skill. 
Oh please.  If you played Gary Woodland one vs one in hoops to a score of 10, you'd not score a point.  If you faced Dustin Johnson in the batter's box, he'd strike you out in 3 pitches.  And Brooks Koepka would knock your manhood in the dirt if you lined up against him.  But cool bench stats, bruh.

I don't see anybody putting anyone or anything down.  Stating that golf isn't a sport isn't putting it, or anyone down.  Stating that it's boring isn't putting it or anyone down.  
Coming in to a thread specifically to state that golf is boring and you have no idea why anyone plays it or watches it is putting it down.  Specifically stating that it's a "skill" not a "sport" as if to protect "real" sports is putting it down.  Why you care so much about making sure people don't call it a sport is weird.

Oh please.  If you played Gary Woodland one vs one in hoops to a score of 10, you'd not score a point.  If you faced Dustin Johnson in the batter's box, he'd strike you out in 3 pitches.  And Brooks Koepka would knock your manhood in the dirt if you lined up against him.  But cool bench stats, bruh.
Careful.  He does reps with 315 lbs.  

Coming in to a thread specifically to state that golf is boring and you have no idea why anyone plays it or watches it is putting it down.  Specifically stating that it's a "skill" not a "sport" as if to protect "real" sports is putting it down.  Why you care so much about making sure people don't call it a sport is weird.
No, it's not.  I am stating my opinion on it.  

If what  you said were true, you are putting my opinion down.  I am offended, and I'm not even a millennial.

The majority of the golfers on the PGA had to choose golf full time over other sports at the age of 13/14.  Some keep playing other sports (see Gary Woodland who had a scholarship offer to play hoops).  But to be great at golf requires almost all of your time to improve.  These guys are athletes and can do things none of us posting here can do - excel at a sport to the point where it's your livelihood.  

Man when you nut one just flush perfect in the middle of the club and it roll up there close to the pin. Nirvana. 

Also to be able to keep your emotions in check, keep a high level of concentration and make consistently good strategic decisions. Those are a lot of good skills you can use elsewhere in your life. 

Also my wife doesn't golf. 

Users who are viewing this thread