What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When is Daniel Snyder going to be relieved of his duties as an owner and forced to sell? (1 Viewer)

For some reason I could read that WSJ article.

Before the emails that prompted Jon Gruden to resign as coach of the Las Vegas Raiders became public over the past week, some of them made a little-noticed and redacted appearance in another public forum: a discovery motion Washington Football Team owner Daniel Snyder had filed in April.

Snyder sought to learn who had leaked false information to an India-based media outlet that he contended wrongly connected him to Jeffrey Epstein. Snyder’s lawyers asked a U.S. court to compel the production of evidence they wanted: emails, texts and phone records of Bruce Allen, his team’s former president and general manager.

Allen had vehemently denied that he was a source for the article. “I maintained a low profile with respect to the media, rarely participating in press conferences or otherwise interfacing or even speaking with reporters,” he told the court in a declaration in May. He said he had never been an anonymous source for any news or media reports. 

On June 19, Snyder responded. He provided old emails from Allen’s work account before his departure from the team in 2019. Snyder included as exhibits at least a dozen examples of Allen planning to meet, serve as a source or trade gossip with reporters. 

The emails also included messages that Snyder said, in the court filing, showed how, “Mr. Allen spread negative media narratives against his enemies in the football world by spoon-feeding talking points…to a popular then-current ESPN on-air personality (the “ESPN Personality”).” 

In those messages, with some names and letters redacted in the filings, Allen wrote about “ESPN sl*ts” and lashed out at various NFL figures. The recipient, meanwhile, worried about a team being told to “draft que**s,” referred to an NFL figure as a “clueless anti football p***y” and seemed to say of a national anthem protester: “they should cut this f**k.”

Within weeks, those same emails were part of a broader NFL investigation into more than 650,000 emails sent to and from Allen. And when many of them became public—in unredacted form—over the past week, it quickly led to the downfall of the ESPN personality who was cited anonymously in them: Jon Gruden. 

Gruden resigned as coach of the Las Vegas Raiders on Monday night in the wake of an email scandal that has sent shock waves through America’s most popular sport. 

After The Wall Street Journal first reported last week on the email investigation and Gruden’s use of a racial trope to describe NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith in a 2011 email to Allen, Gruden coached his team’s game Sunday. Further emails in which Gruden used antigay and other offensive language were published by the New York Times on Monday. The Los Angeles Times previously reported on some of the redacted emails in the court case. 

Snyder’s previous public use of the emails that later led to Gruden’s resignation show that the coach was caught in the crossfire of a battle that had nothing to do with him. 

The NFL first learned of troubling emails in June—just before the end of the investigation of workplace misconduct inside the Washington Football Team that finished this summer, people familiar with the matter said. The people declined to say whether Snyder flagged the emails to the NFL. The court filings by Snyder’s lawyers came on June 19. 

On July 1, the NFL responded to the conclusion of the workplace investigation by slapping the Washington Football Team with a record $10 million fine. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell described the team’s work environment as “highly unprofessional,” especially in the treatment of women. 

But the giant batch of 650,000 emails the NFL had learned of as the investigation was wrapping up were determined to be a separate matter from the workplace probe, the people said. The league launched a separate probe of those emails focusing on Allen and Gruden.

Allen and his attorney have not responded to requests for comment.

In a court filing, as part of the same case, Allen argued that the work emails shown by Snyder were “irrelevant” and that Snyder’s  “improper” use of them showed how the team owner would attempt to use Allen’s personal email, texts and phone records if the court allowed him access. 

Although Gruden never worked for the Washington Football Team, he had a close connection with its longtime top executive. Gruden and Allen worked together at both the then-Oakland Raiders and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers—with Gruden as the head coach and Allen in the front office. They were both fired from Tampa Bay after the 2008 season. 

Gruden went on to work at ESPN, where he called Monday Night Football games, while Allen rose to become president of the Washington Football Team during a decade there until late 2019. The pair emailed frequently over those years, with those emails showing up in the NFL’s investigation of Allen’s inbox. Gruden’s brother, Jay, was also coach of Washington from 2014 to 2019. 

Allen, the son of legendary Washington coach George Allen, was fired in 2019 but was embroiled in its affairs for years afterward. His tenure with Washington coincided with years covered by the workplace misconduct investigation, which began after the Washington Post reported 15 women who worked for the franchise experienced sexual or verbal harassment. Snyder denied wrongdoing in a pair of alleged incidents involving him. 

Then this year, Allen was the target of the legal filings made by Snyder in connection with the defamation case. An Indian website, meaww.com, had attempted to connect Snyder with disgraced financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein—with no evidence to support the claim. Other filings by Snyder also implied a connection between Allen and the minority owners, with whom Snyder had an explosive dispute. 

Months later, the emails that Snyder provided to the court became public, without the redactions. They include one in which the “Redacted – ESPN Personality,” now known to be Gruden, told Allen that Goodell shouldn’t have pressured then-Rams coach Jeff Fisher to “draft queers,” a reference to the team’s 2014 choice of Michael Sam. 

Fisher, in a statement Tuesday, said he drafted Sam based on his abilities, adding that the league has never directed him who to draft and that sexual orientation played no role in his selection of any prospect. 

The NFL’s probe into these emails burst into public last Friday when The Journal reported one from 2011 that was not in Snyder’s June court filing, in which Gruden mocks NFL Players’ Association executive director DeMaurice Smith using a racial trop. “Dumboriss Smith has lips the size of michellin tires,” he wrote to Allen. 

Gruden was out of a job by Monday. 

The Snyder lawsuit that had initially exposed some of the Gruden emails was also no more: his petition to gain access to more of Allen’s communications was dismissed by the Arizona court in August. 

Is it me, or does that article infer that Gruden's dismissal was a consequence at least in part to Snyder's blood fued with Allen?
His dismissal was a consequence of him being a racist, homophobic #######.  It just through serendipity that Snyder's blood fued with Allen brought this matter to the attention of the press.

His dismissal was a consequence of him being a racist, homophobic #######.  It just through serendipity that Snyder's blood fued with Allen brought this matter to the attention of the press.
They all need to be punished and Snyder should be forced out even if its quietly done behind the scenes. 

Bucs secondary looks pretty ripe for the Eagles to make a few mistakes along the way and they will still bail them out at different points of the game. 

Could be a huge night for the offense and skill position guys all over the board tonight. 

And I started ERTZ tonight with Kittle OUT

Touchdown!

Go Bucs though make no mistake Go Bucs!
MOP, love your work.... but this would have faired better in the game thread 😂

@Ministry of Pain

The Washington Post reports NFL owners are giving "serious consideration" to attempts to potentially "oust" Commanders owner Daniel Snyder.​

"Multiple owners said in recent days they believe serious consideration may be given to attempting to oust Snyder from the league’s ownership ranks, either by convincing him to sell his franchise or by voting to remove him," was the Post's exact report. Per the Post, "sentiments among NFL team owners regarding Snyder’s ownership have shifted significantly, as they await the findings of both a congressional investigation and a league-commissioned probe into allegations of misconduct by him and his team." Amongst the many issues is Snyder's apparent financial under-performance. Always follow the money. Removing Snyder would be a Herculean task — even amongst this litigious group of people, he takes it to an entirely different level — but his problems really are mounting, and they are extremely serious in nature. With the Denver Broncos fetching $4.65 billion in their recent sale, Snyder would likely have little problem sailing past $5 billion. We seriously doubt someone as dug in as Snyder has been will be open to selling without a monumental fight, but that fight might finally be coming after decades of some of the very worst ownership in North American sports. Any attempt to remove Snyder would require the vote of 24-of-32 ownership groups.
SOURCE: Washington Post
Sep 24, 2022, 11:34 AM ET

@Ministry of Pain

The Washington Post reports NFL owners are giving "serious consideration" to attempts to potentially "oust" Commanders owner Daniel Snyder.​

"Multiple owners said in recent days they believe serious consideration may be given to attempting to oust Snyder from the league’s ownership ranks, either by convincing him to sell his franchise or by voting to remove him," was the Post's exact report. Per the Post, "sentiments among NFL team owners regarding Snyder’s ownership have shifted significantly, as they await the findings of both a congressional investigation and a league-commissioned probe into allegations of misconduct by him and his team." Amongst the many issues is Snyder's apparent financial under-performance. Always follow the money. Removing Snyder would be a Herculean task — even amongst this litigious group of people, he takes it to an entirely different level — but his problems really are mounting, and they are extremely serious in nature. With the Denver Broncos fetching $4.65 billion in their recent sale, Snyder would likely have little problem sailing past $5 billion. We seriously doubt someone as dug in as Snyder has been will be open to selling without a monumental fight, but that fight might finally be coming after decades of some of the very worst ownership in North American sports. Any attempt to remove Snyder would require the vote of 24-of-32 ownership groups.
I was screaming about Ross in the OP snd low and behold he got suspended for half a season. I'm surprised it's taking this long for the NFL to figure out its best to move on without Snyder..

@Ministry of Pain

I was screaming about Ross in the OP snd low and behold he got suspended for half a season. I'm surprised it's taking this long for the NFL to figure out its best to move on without Snyder..
I think people underestimate the political ramifications Snyder being ousted will have. If he goes out without being properly compensated, those emails have to have a ton of dirt on a lot of important people if the Gruden ones are just a small sample.

I think people underestimate the political ramifications Snyder being ousted will have. If he goes out without being properly compensated, those emails have to have a ton of dirt on a lot of important people if the Gruden ones are just a small sample.
He still owns the team, he'll be compensated around $5 B.

But I don't think that would matter, he's going to throw an epic tantrum and air all the dirt he has accumulated over the years. It could seriously hurt the league, it would suck but it would also be epic. I don't know about you but wanna see it happen.

Release the 650,000 emails!!!

I'd love to see the NFL collapse under their own idiocy. Would be well deserved for them and their moronic commissioner. Love the idea of forcing an owner to sell after not making the playoffs for 10 years. Too many owners making tons of money off revenue while never even having a winning season. No motivation to win.

Any Washington fan (myself included) would celebrate like we won a three peat of Super Bowls if it happened, but I highly doubt it, as there has been similar talk of this for a while now.

At the end of the day, I just don’t see the other owners having the stones to vote him out. Him leaving voluntarily is a non-starter and he will go absolutely scorched earth on his way out the door. He knows where all the bodies are buried and these other owners will ultimately choose to keep their own skeletons firmly in the closet. Hope I’m wrong of course.

He still owns the team, he'll be compensated around $5 B.

But I don't think that would matter, he's going to throw an epic tantrum and air all the dirt he has accumulated over the years. It could seriously hurt the league, it would suck but it would also be epic. I don't know about you but wanna see it happen.

Release the 650,000 emails!!!

Any Washington fan (myself included) would celebrate like we won a three peat of Super Bowls if it happened, but I highly doubt it, as there has been similar talk of this for a while now.

At the end of the day, I just don’t see the other owners having the stones to vote him out. Him leaving voluntarily is a non-starter and he will go absolutely scorched earth on his way out the door. He knows where all the bodies are buried and these other owners will ultimately choose to keep their own skeletons firmly in the closet. Hope I’m wrong of course.

What dirt exactly are we talking about? Why is Snyder the Mob? He's a jerk that has a very unhealthy work environment but what is being discussed is the other 31 owners either are doing the same thing or something disgusting themselves. That's not a reason to allow him to remain an owner. We don't know what those skeletons are and to not run Snyder up a pole out of fear he will squeal, bring it on!

Even the players are hypocrites at a certain level so if the whole thing is a big show for the public then pull the curtain back. Is he going to reveal some of the NFL games are rigged or fixed to keep certain folks happy? I want to know what's behind the curtain...32 owners that didn't work their way up thru being social workers, I get it.

What dirt exactly are we talking about?
No idea. My guess is stuff that would further garner attention from Congress like collusion, proof of awareness of workplace misconduct that went ignored by the league (looking at you Jerry Jones). Hidden unreported, hence untaxed, revenue. Stuff like that.

Maybe even some game manipulation or hiding evidence of cheating.

Remember they got Capone on tax evasion.

Commanders issued a statement saying that Daniel Snyder will not sell the team.​

It's always weird when press release junkets from teams start reading like they were written by catty lawyers, but here we are. The release, which appeared to be a direct counter argument to words that Jim Irsay spoke within the last hour, noted: "We are confident that, when he has an opportunity to see the actual evidence in this case, Mr. Irsay will conclude that there is no reason for the Snyders to consider selling the franchise. And they won't."
SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Oct 18, 2022, 5:42 PM ET

The owners should start by firing Goodell for signing that shared interests agreement with Snyder. That’s going to end up being a serious problem and the owners seem to be finally realizing just how bad that could be.

Now that there is evidence that the NFL shared the identities of Snyder’s accusers with Snyder when the league had agreed in writing specifically not to do that, and Snyder then hired private investigators to go harass the accusers and dig dirt up on them, those accusers now have a very clear lawsuit against the NFL.

The owners should now insist that Beth Wilkinson actually write a full report, present it to the rest of the owners, and then make the full report public.

If Snyder doesn’t want to sell, fine. But he’ll be the most reviled owner in sports until he does.

The owners should start by firing Goodell for signing that shared interests agreement with Snyder. That’s going to end up being a serious problem and the owners seem to be finally realizing just how bad that could be.

Now that there is evidence that the NFL shared the identities of Snyder’s accusers with Snyder when the league had agreed in writing specifically not to do that, and Snyder then hired private investigators to go harass the accusers and dig dirt up on them, those accusers now have a very clear lawsuit against the NFL.

The owners should now insist that Beth Wilkinson actually write a full report, present it to the rest of the owners, and then make the full report public.

If Snyder doesn’t want to sell, fine. But he’ll be the most reviled owner in sports until he does.
Goodell doesn't do anything without the approval of key owners.

Without having to read this thread, can someone tell me what he did that he should be forced to sell? The cliff notes would be sufficient. No need to post a novel.

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer

Colts owner Jim Irsay on voting Dan Snyder out as owner of the Commanders: “I believe that’s the road we have to go down. … I believe it’s in the best interest of the National Football League.”

Jim Irsay said all this?

Awesome!

Without having to read this thread, can someone tell me what he did that he should be forced to sell? The cliff notes would be sufficient. No need to post a novel.

He is a generally horrible human being, but I think what will get him booted is that he apparently kept two sets of books, and hid ticket revenue from the other owners, effectively stealing from them (all alleged, of course).

The team under Snyder's ownership has a long history of sexual harassment of women employees (such as pimping out the cheerleaders) and a laundry list of other sordid accusations. Example: The Washington cheerleaders did a photo shoot for a swimsuit calendar in the late 2000s. One of the execs supposedly got outtakes, which included topless photos, and emailed them around to other execs.

He is a generally horrible human being, but I think what will get him booted is that he apparently kept two sets of books, and hid ticket revenue from the other owners, effectively stealing from them (all alleged, of course).

The team under Snyder's ownership has a long history of sexual harassment of women employees (such as pimping out the cheerleaders) and a laundry list of other sordid accusations. Example: The Washington cheerleaders did a photo shoot for a swimsuit calendar in the late 2000s. One of the execs supposedly got outtakes, which included topless photos, and emailed them around to other execs.
Cliff Notes version, pretty good and a lot that could be added on top but that's good.

If you want to know why he should actually be forced to sell: Runs a completely dysfunctional organization that has a toxic culture, treats employees poorly, craps on its fans and has lost consistently for a quarter of a century

If you want to know why the owners may force him to sell: Because he's run the franchise so poorly that he's costing them money

He sued a grandmother over season tickets. He cut down federally-protected trees on federally protected land to improve his view of the Potomac River. He's hired countless lawyers and PI's to harass and investigate reporters, cheerleaders, staff, and anyone saying anything negative about him. He pimped out cheerleaders. He tried to have his bodyguards force a woman into the back seat of his limo. If you go through the posts in this thread, and the links in those posts, you'll see what an aggressive cancer he is.

Is it safe for me to assume I'm the only person hoping he prevails and keeps the team?

Why on earth would you hope for this?
It's the fair and obvious question you ask to point I had reservations making the post to which you responded as I figured I'd have to endure the brunt of criticism for not wanting to see the team forced from him or even worst that people would just think this was some kind of shtick, which it's not.

It's as simple for me as I think I'm bound to an inherent belief that when you buy something it's yours to do with as you please. The idea someone can force you to give up something you bought because they don't like what you are doing with it is not something I am comfortable supporting even if it's something as public as a sports team. I got no agenda. I don't like Snyder and did not care for Sterling or Sarver either and felt the same in each instance. Againt not shtick or an opinion I would expect to have many agree with me on. I'm all for turning up the heat on these type of people to point they feel compelled to sale the team and exit their league(s). All for that. I just don't like when the process is is basically forcefully taking the team from them because you don't like the PR/social awareness blowback related to how they run their teams, especially when we are not talking any issues like breaking laws.

I just don't like when the process is is basically forcefully taking the team from them because you don't like the PR/social awareness blowback related to how they run their teams, especially when we are not talking any issues like breaking laws.

Thanks for your answer. I believe there's no schtick behind it. I feel similarly about the sanctity of property (Believe me on this one. My politics often take a beating due to it.) and I agree that there's a newfound societal impulse to take property away from the politically incorrect or undesirable, but I think the last part about how we're not "talking any issues like breaking laws" is definitely up for question here and I think the Commanders have broken serious laws in serious ways but are being protected because of their position vis a vis the NFL and vis a vis society at large.

We're not finding out whether they've broken laws because they're rich and powerful and have rich and powerful friends. There has been so much smoke about illegality around Snyder and the team that there's almost certainly fire. Whether it's the cheerleader scandal, the stadium scandal, stealing from the NFL, property law, you name it -- they seem to be in violation of the law in many ways. It's almost a smorgasbord of white-collar criminality as could be performed by a sports owner in the daily business of running the team.

Last edited:
For those looking for additional reasons to dislike Snyder, my wife's cousin used to work for the organization and is married to a former player. I've heard some stories... Employees instructed not to ever make eye contact with Mr. Snyder. Employees allowed to use the gym but if Mr. Snyder enters the gym you must immediately leave. Lots of fun stuff like that. One of the most toxic work cultures I've ever heard described.

Is it safe for me to assume I'm the only person hoping he prevails and keeps the team?

Why on earth would you hope for this?
It's the fair and obvious question you ask to point I had reservations making the post to which you responded as I figured I'd have to endure the brunt of criticism for not wanting to see the team forced from him or even worst that people would just think this was some kind of shtick, which it's not.

It's as simple for me as I think I'm bound to an inherent belief that when you buy something it's yours to do with as you please. The idea someone can force you to give up something you bought because they don't like what you are doing with it is not something I am comfortable supporting even if it's something as public as a sports team. I got no agenda. I don't like Snyder and did not care for Sterling or Sarver either and felt the same in each instance. Againt not shtick or an opinion I would expect to have many agree with me on. I'm all for turning up the heat on these type of people to point they feel compelled to sale the team and exit their league(s). All for that. I just don't like when the process is is basically forcefully taking the team from them because you don't like the PR/social awareness blowback related to how they run their teams, especially when we are not talking any issues like breaking laws.
Its not the same as a "normal" business. His actions potentially lose money for the other 31 owners. They are all aware of the game and agree to it when they buy the franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread