What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When is Daniel Snyder going to be relieved of his duties as an owner and forced to sell? (1 Viewer)

Owners would initiate vote to remove Snyder if Commanders not sold

NFL owners would move toward a vote to remove Daniel Snyder from ownership of the Washington Commanders if he doesn't sell the franchise, sources told the Washington Post's Mark Maske, Nicki Jhabvala, and Liz Clarke. Snyder demanded that the NFL and other franchise owners indemnify him against future legal liability and costs if he sells the team, per the Washington Post. The 58-year-old reportedly said he'd sue the league if his requests aren't fulfilled.
Franchise owners had called Snyder's demands "ridiculous" and "absurd," according to the Washington Post. They believe any vote to remove Snyder would survive a legal challenge. Three-quarters of franchise owners would need to support a potential vote for Snyder to be removed as the Commanders' owner.

Snyder reportedly requested that the league keep the findings of attorney Mary Jo White's ongoing investigation into alleged workplace misconduct and sexual harassment confidential. The NFL said the findings will be released publicly. Federal authorities in the Eastern District of Virginia are also investigating the Commanders for potential financial improprieties.
Maske, Jhabvala, and Clarke are reliable reporters.

The last paragraph is the sticking point in my opinion. Snyder does NOT want the results of any investigation into him to be released, period.

Dan Snyder is the worst person in the NFL.
Add possible bank fraud to the list https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...d-lifestyle-took-improper-loan-their-approval

The article mentions the investigation being led by a team of FBI and IRS agents so I assume there is some tax fraud going on as well. And it sounds like Goodell knew and didn't investigate.
That one article references the possibility of Jerry Jones negotiating a

Owners would initiate vote to remove Snyder if Commanders not sold

NFL owners would move toward a vote to remove Daniel Snyder from ownership of the Washington Commanders if he doesn't sell the franchise, sources told the Washington Post's Mark Maske, Nicki Jhabvala, and Liz Clarke. Snyder demanded that the NFL and other franchise owners indemnify him against future legal liability and costs if he sells the team, per the Washington Post. The 58-year-old reportedly said he'd sue the league if his requests aren't fulfilled.
Franchise owners had called Snyder's demands "ridiculous" and "absurd," according to the Washington Post. They believe any vote to remove Snyder would survive a legal challenge. Three-quarters of franchise owners would need to support a potential vote for Snyder to be removed as the Commanders' owner.

Snyder reportedly requested that the league keep the findings of attorney Mary Jo White's ongoing investigation into alleged workplace misconduct and sexual harassment confidential. The NFL said the findings will be released publicly. Federal authorities in the Eastern District of Virginia are also investigating the Commanders for potential financial improprieties.
Maske, Jhabvala, and Clarke are reliable reporters.

The last paragraph is the sticking point in my opinion. Snyder does NOT want the results of any investigation into him to be released, period.

Dan Snyder is the worst person in the NFL.
In an ironic twist, the Post article points out that none other than Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is trying to broker a deal that would result in Snyder selling his team and moving on. Not really surprising considering Jones' status as a leading owner and also his past relationship with Skipper Dan. But ironic in the fact that us Commanders fans need to rely upon the Jerrah to lead us out of this mess and into the promised land...

I still get the sense that the Skipper is gonna sell and all of this is just so much posturing for more $$, more concessions, etc. and also just because he's a difficult a-hole. There is so much local reporting around DC that points to the sale, such as Danny's lack of involvement with the team and even Jason Wright directly referencing the sale moving forward at the Eric Bienemy press conference -- that is not always part of national reporting on the story. That said, the clock is ticking here until the owners meeting. If there is no firm agreement to sell by then, I think the owners are gonna need to rip the band aid off and vote to remove him. I totally get it that they want to avoid trouble -- they don't want a lawsuit, or dirt coming out, etc. etc. But at a certain point, you just have to rip that band aid off; otherwise, you are always gonna be Danny's b--

Gonna be an interesting month ahead...

Add possible bank fraud to the list https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...d-lifestyle-took-improper-loan-their-approval

The article mentions the investigation being led by a team of FBI and IRS agents so I assume there is some tax fraud going on as well. And it sounds like Goodell knew and didn't investigate.
That's a pretty good article and I'd urge anyone halfway interested to read it. The list of things Snyder has done is just mind-boggling.

In 2018, Smith received an offer to purchase his 10% stake in the team. But Snyder blocked the sale, telling Smith that "the proposed buyer would not be acceptable to the NFL," the documents show. The proposed buyer was Alan Kestenbaum, the chairman and CEO of Canadian steel company Stelco. A year later, Kestenbaum bought a minority stake in Arthur Blank's Atlanta Falcons after he was approved by the full membership of NFL owners. Kestenbaum did not return messages from ESPN. In their arbitration petition, the partners alleged that Snyder blocked the sale to Kestenbaum because the due diligence required by a new limited partner "would have revealed the misconduct."

All three partners retained consultants to pursue selling their stakes in August 2019. While exploring the sale, the partners received financial information that Snyder had "mismanaged" the team's "assets and had engaged in self-dealing and other misconduct," according to documents. The partners alleged that Snyder kept them in the dark about the team's financial decisions.

In April 2020, the same month that the partners discovered the $55 million credit line, Snyder had, for the first time, failed to pay his partners their quarterly share of team profits, the arbitration filing alleged. The partners said they already knew the team's local revenues -- those derived apart from NFL media rights deals -- had dropped by one-third over the previous decade, from $241 million in fiscal year 2009 to $160 million in fiscal year 2020.

The partners confronted Snyder about the missed quarterly payment in May 2020 and asked why he had secured the credit line. They also demanded an explanation for what they called "self-dealing transactions." Snyder ignored their questions, the partners allege in the documents, except to eventually tell them the team had borrowed more than $20 million under the credit line. When Rothman complained that the team's board had not met in years, Snyder responded, "What the f--- do I need a board meeting for?" according to the documents.

In a June 5, 2020, letter, Snyder's lawyer told the partners that Snyder planned to expense more than $7 million in "unreimbursed business expenses" for fiscal years 2017 through 2020. Snyder also revealed that he was seeking $1 million in reimbursements for vehicle costs "and extra security required during foreign travel (due to his high-profile position as Owner)." In the letter, Snyder revealed that the expenses included a July 2018 yacht party in the south of France, where he hosted fellow owners Jerry Jones of the Dallas Cowboys, Robert Kraft of the New England Patriots and Terry Pegula of the Buffalo Bills. "This included 'world-class cuisine prepared by some of the top personal chefs in the world and the highest quality wine/beverages,'" the partners said in their petition. And Snyder told the partners he had hired the accounting firm PwC to "perform a detailed accounting of all business expenses for the entire 17-year investment period of the partners."

Late on the evening of June 17, 2020, Snyder informed his partners he had removed them from the team's six-member board. In their petition to the NFL, the partners alleged that Snyder's removal violated their stockholders' agreement and continued "a pattern of gross disregard of both his contractual and fiduciary duties." Snyder immediately replaced the three men with two new directors, Eran Broshy and Gregory Owens. The partners said the two men had worked for Snyder in the past and were "beholden to Snyder."

continuing

Besides Snyder paying himself a salary of $10 million a year, he also had arranged for the franchise to pay him a total of $4.5 million for having the team logo emblazoned on his personal jet. "An advertising fee," Snyder had called it, documents show. But the partners said the logo on Snyder's private jet "provides little or no advertising value." And besides, they said, they never approved the millions per year Snyder paid himself.

The partners also told the NFL that the Bank of America credit line had potentially been secured fraudulently and that "Snyder or his agents misrepresented to the bank" that the partners had approved the loan. "Snyder used the proceeds from the Credit Agreement to disguise [the team's] poor operating performance and cash flow problems, and, at least in part, to enrich himself improperly at the expense of [the team] ... and other stockholders," the petition alleged.
"Goodell knew about the loan," said a source with firsthand knowledge of the matter, "but the partners didn't." Copies of emails reviewed by ESPN show bank officials repeatedly asked the team to provide the board resolution -- a document showing the team's board of directors had approved the loan -- before finalizing the credit line and even in the weeks afterward. Without the resolution, the loan could not presumably close.

Dan Snyder is now officially on the agenda for the next owners meeting...

The owners probably want Snyder to sell because they think it will make the issue go away. They don't want to force him to sell because they don't want to create a precedent where in the future they may be forced to sell.
I don’t think an owner should be forced to sell HIS team.

The owners probably want Snyder to sell because they think it will make the issue go away. They don't want to force him to sell because they don't want to create a precedent where in the future they may be forced to sell.
I think we can make an exception for this POS owner. But generally speaking, I agree with your statement.

Here is why Dan Snyder wants the NFL to indemnify him if/when he sells the team:

Shortly after purchasing the NFL team in 1999, Snyder sold the company where he made his name and fortune, Snyder Communications, to a French firm, Havas Advertising, for $2.1 billion.

In purchasing the company, Havas also assumed legal liability for everything that happened on Snyder's watch. A year later, Havas found itself having to pay for exactly that — a settlement with Florida's attorney general over the alleged illegal switching of long distance customers. That process, known as "slamming," occurs when a customer has their long-distance provider switched without their consent. The allegations were that Snyder Communications had "slammed" thousands of consumers by forging signatures. Havas, along with Verizon, ended up paying $3.1 million to settle. Snyder Communications was also banned from doing business in Florida.

Here is why Dan Snyder wants the NFL to indemnify him if/when he sells the team:

Shortly after purchasing the NFL team in 1999, Snyder sold the company where he made his name and fortune, Snyder Communications, to a French firm, Havas Advertising, for $2.1 billion.

In purchasing the company, Havas also assumed legal liability for everything that happened on Snyder's watch. A year later, Havas found itself having to pay for exactly that — a settlement with Florida's attorney general over the alleged illegal switching of long distance customers. That process, known as "slamming," occurs when a customer has their long-distance provider switched without their consent. The allegations were that Snyder Communications had "slammed" thousands of consumers by forging signatures. Havas, along with Verizon, ended up paying $3.1 million to settle. Snyder Communications was also banned from doing business in Florida.
And, I suppose, this is also exactly why the other NFL owners do not want to indemnify him. Based on his track record, it's likely there are some icebergs floating around out there...

That’s part of the deal of being allowed to be an NFL team owner though. The NFL itself is a trade association made up by the 32 individual teams - and they work in conjunction for the NFL. The owners hire officers to run the league and the commissioner has the power to force an owner to forfeit his team.

In extreme cases, the commissioner can offer recommendations to the NFL's executive committee, up to and including the "cancellation or forfeiture" of a club's franchise or any other action, he deems necessary.

Last edited:
I disagree and in fact when Ross was suspended 8 games this past year for tampering, cheating, fixing, whatever you want to say but it was the 1st of it's kind, I screamed sell sell sell
I definitely think owners need to adhere to a certain standard

-Think about this Johnny, I believe if a team goes a decade without making the Playoffs, the owners should be forced to sell since there are people lined up to own one of these 32 NFL teams, it's not like they lose money from the time they own to when they would have to sell.

10 years No Playoffs, you must get out of the way.
It's not fair to the fan base, the people supporting and making it possible for the NFL to be what it is.

The saddest part is he never should have been allowed to own the team. Due diligence by the Cooke Foundation and others easily showed that his previous businesses had performed illegal acts and come under multiple non-frivilous lawsuits. Their greed in taking the highest offer rather than picking the best owner with the highest offer is what set this team down a rabbit hole for 25 years. They were never obligated to take the highest offer. Complete greed on their part. The director of it now gets paid over $800K per year, to direct a foundation. They allowed a known complete turd of a human to walk away with ~$5.5 billion profit in franchise value while destroying the franchise. Put the blame for the last 25 years on the right people ... on the board of that foundation.

The NFL can't force him to sell his team.
The NFL can kick his team out of the NFL if he owns it.
He can still own it, not be in the NFL, with the resulting loss of value of the team.
He doesn't have enough cash to start his own league.
Dan Snyder is hemmed in by Dan Snyder's actions.

Report: Mary Jo White investigation of Commanders uncovers “more financial concerns”

A.J. Perez of FrontOfficeSports.com reports that White’s investigation has “uncovered more financial concerns than have been reported to date.”
Perez explains that White is exploring whether any loans taken by Snyder were used improperly.
No wonder the league wants to get rid of him. Stuff like this is going to keep coming out for years. He's been the worst person in the NFL for years and the NFL can't keep it out of the press now.

Ben Standig of TheAthletic.com reports that deals finalized in the past week delay the initial payment schedule. Instead of the first installment being due within 15 to 30 days after executing, the money is due roughly two months post-execution.

For example, the contract signed by defensive tackle Daron Payne provides, per Standing, for the first payment to be made by May 12, 2023. Quarterback Jacoby Brissett‘s contract also specifies that initial payment will be made by May 12.

This is a departure from the team’s past precedent. Given the circumstances, it suggests that someone else will be paying the signing bonuses.

PFT reported on Thursday night that owner Daniel and Tanya Snyder cleared out of the facility in late December, and that within the building there’s a belief a sale is imminent. Some believe it could be buttoned up quietly over the next week, and then announced at the league meetings in Arizona, which start next weekend.

In the three days since that report, there has been no effort by the team or anyone else to push back against it.

Rooting for you, Commanders fans
I think things are really looking up for the franchise. Get rid of Dan, Eric B is reason to have a lot of hope that our offense can reach its full potential (we have some really nice weapons at the skill positions) and the defense really came on strong last year even without a healthy Chase. I haven't been this excited about our organization since Gibbs returned. I'd say we are due some good fortune. :)

I disagree and in fact when Ross was suspended 8 games this past year for tampering, cheating, fixing, whatever you want to say but it was the 1st of it's kind, I screamed sell sell sell
I definitely think owners need to adhere to a certain standard

-Think about this Johnny, I believe if a team goes a decade without making the Playoffs, the owners should be forced to sell since there are people lined up to own one of these 32 NFL teams, it's not like they lose money from the time they own to when they would have to sell.

10 years No Playoffs, you must get out of the way.
It's not fair to the fan base, the people supporting and making it possible for the NFL to be what it is.
Sounds communist to me

I have no idea how to post a video on here But former WAS assistant, now a head coach Mike McDaniel quote at owners meeting ... "wow, the organization is worth how much? And I couldn't even get free copies?" 🤣

Dan Snyder is pretty well boxed-in at this point. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ause-consideration-of-removing-daniel-snyder/

"Snyder has been trying to get the league and the other teams to provide Snyder with a broad grant of indemnity regarding potential liabilities — possibly including those arising directly from the activities of the Commanders. “The vote-out will happen if he insists on being indemnified,” a source with direct knowledge of the owners’ views told the Post. “If the deal [to sell the team] is just like Denver, that’s fine. But if he expects special treatment, that leads to trouble. The biggest thing that will lead to a vote is if he says, ‘Indemnify me.’ That’s the issue.” The potential hammer comes from the pending Mary Jo White investigation, a card the NFL will quite possibly play only if absolutely necessary. If Snyder sells, chances are her investigation will be suspended as moot. If he drags his feet for too long, the owners may use her findings as the final straw for conjuring 24 or more votes to get rid of him."

And he's refusing to be interviewed by the NFL's hired investigator Mary Jo White.

"Commanders counsel John Brownlee said during a visit to #PFTPM that NFL outside investigator Mary Jo White has not yet interviewed team owner Daniel Snyder as part of her ongoing investigation. Implicit (presumably) in the comment was that Snyder would actually agree to be interviewed, whenever she gets around to asking. He hasn’t. According to the Washington Post, Snyder has declined to be interviewed by White."

Not sure if it will play the same way with the Commanders but Devils have a heavy emphasis on driving full season ticket holder memberships of which I am one. They have put a lot into the fan experience imo. Devils didn't not flail their way into free agency from the get go - things were very much hold back the powder on that early on and build slow but with the stars the team has drafted and developed ownership has no problem spending to the cap now and committing long term.

As far as Harris himself - has not been an in your face presence as many owners are. I am sure the Washington fans will appreciate that

-QG

Glad for the NFL and for Commanders fans that this is getting done. Did the NFL get rid of the rule that prohibited owners from owning franchises in other sports in other cities?

Two things I wonder about once the sale is concluded:

1. Will they change the name? No one seems very fond of the Commanders name but I read something wild the other day. George Lincoln Rockwell was the head of US Nazi party in the 60's. He was of course openly racist and also protested often against the Redskins integrating. His title, Commander of the US Nazi party. Surely this was not Dan Snyder trying to jab people covertly?

2. Would they make a run at Lamar Jackson if the sale concludes in a timely manner.

Users who are viewing this thread