What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where Does Ahman Green Play (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
It's looking unlikely that Green will be in the Packers plans both now and in the future.Where is he going? Which teams are the leading candidates (in theory)?

What was his injury again?Why did he look sooooo bad at the beginning of this year?Assuming Childress runs an offense similar to Philly (why wouldn't he?) he could easily be a Viking.

It's looking unlikely that Green will be in the Packers plans both now and in the future.

Where is he going? Which teams are the leading candidates (in theory)?
If he's willing to take some short money I can see him in Green Bay for one more season, especially if Favre comes back.The usual candidates with no running game will pop up...Cardinals and Browns for example...but I see him ending up with San Francisco actually.

The usual candidates with no running game will pop up...Cardinals and Browns for example...but I see him ending up with San Francisco actually.
I could certainly see the Cardinals in the mix, but it seems like Droughns has cemented himself in Cleveland, while the Niners like Gore.A few other possibilities IMO:

Minnesota (as mentioned)

Philly (as mentioned)

Carolina (if Foster leaves via FA)

Tennessee (not a good year by Brown - is he safe?)

The usual candidates with no running game will pop up...Cardinals and Browns for example...but I see him ending up with San Francisco actually.
I could certainly see the Cardinals in the mix, but it seems like Droughns has cemented himself in Cleveland, while the Niners like Gore.A few other possibilities IMO:

Minnesota (as mentioned)

Philly (as mentioned)

Titans already have Brown and Henry...with an outside chance at even getting Reggie Bush (though if the indications of Carr getting his bonus are true, this will not happen).And I do not see the Titans investing heavily in another RB. Yes, Brown is safe in TN.

Minnesota (as mentioned)

Philly (as mentioned)

Titans already have Brown and Henry...with an outside chance at even getting Reggie Bush (though if the indications of Carr getting his bonus are true, this will not happen).And I do not see the Titans investing heavily in another RB. Yes, Brown is safe in TN.
Henry seems as good as gone, given that he's owed a roster bonus.Just playing devil's advocate, but what makes you think that Brown is safe in TN? All he did this year was stay healthy (finally), but his production was less than overwhelming.

Let's go backwards. I would EXCLUDE the following teams as they seem pretty stocked at RB (injuries or sudden off-field issues notwithstanding): BUF, MIA, CIN, DEN, KC, OAK, SD, TB, ATL, NO, CHI, DET, WAS, NYG, DAL, PHI, STL.That only leaves 15 teams (including GB).

Minnesota (as mentioned)

Philly (as mentioned)

Henry seems as good as gone, given that he's owed a roster bonus.Just playing devil's advocate, but what makes you think that Brown is safe in TN? All he did this year was stay healthy (finally), but his production was less than overwhelming.
The whole offense was less than overwhelming. But Brown was not really the issue.They will need to do so much with Oline, and WR that I just do not see them being a big player on the FA market for an RB.

How much is Henry's roster bonus? Im really not sure there.

The injury was a thigh tendon becoming detached from his kneecap. He had surgery on it in October and has been rehabbing.

The injury was a thigh tendon becoming detached from his kneecap. He had surgery on it in October and has been rehabbing.
Did it bother him all season? Does it explain why he looked so bad early on?Or is he just done?

Did it bother him all season? Does it explain why he looked so bad early on?Or is he just done?
More than all season. Supposedly, it's been bothering him on and off since Nebraska, it was just never reported in the media.

Let's go backwards. I would EXCLUDE the following teams as they seem pretty stocked at RB (injuries or sudden off-field issues notwithstanding): BUF, MIA, CIN, DEN, KC, OAK, SD, TB, ATL, NO, CHI, DET, WAS, NYG, DAL, PHI, STL.

That only leaves 15 teams (including GB).
I would say that New Orleans would still be a possible suitor. What they had in 2005 was horrible and inadequate. Perhaps they might give Ahman a try if he is ready to go by training camp, which is a big positive since Duece might not be 100% by then. It would give them a chance to lighten the load for Duece early on in the season, and let Duece run wild once he is in shape again.

Why did he look sooooo bad at the beginning of this year?
Losing two key offensive lineman had something to do with it.
So where is he physically. Is he anything like the back we saw 2-3 years ago?Or has the pounding caught up with him?
In mid-November Green was 50% recoverd from his surgery and doctors expected him to only be 20% recovered at that point. It is expected that will be 100% for June minicamp.

Why did he look sooooo bad at the beginning of this year?
Losing two key offensive lineman had something to do with it.
So where is he physically. Is he anything like the back we saw 2-3 years ago?Or has the pounding caught up with him?
Saw him interviewed last week. He said he his doctors told him to slow down because he's way ahead of schedule. He was all smiles and very happy with his progress.Obviously all this remains to be seen.

The fact that Green Bay is looking hard at 49ers' OC Mike McCarthy as head coach, who is a west coast offense guy and has worked in the past with Favre, tells me that both Favre and Ahman Green will likely return. Green will come at a reasonable price and this will allow for a transition period for whoever the Packers draft as their future starter either in 2006 (DeAngelo Williams?) or later on (Packers could stick with Green/Gado in 2006).

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that Green Bay is looking hard at 49ers' OC Mike McCarthy as head coach, who is a west coast offense guy and has worked in the past with Favre, tells me that both Favre and Ahman Green will likely return.

Green will come at a reasonable price and this will allow for a transition period for whoever the Packers draft as their future starter either in 2006 (DeAngelo Williams?) or later on (Packers could stick with Green/Gado in 2006).
Agreed. It's a little too soon to write Green out of Green Bay. The injury keeps his salary down big time. And, he's already stated on several occasions that he wants to be back in Green Bay. If anyone is leaving, my money is on Davenport.

The fact that Green Bay is looking hard at 49ers' OC Mike McCarthy as head coach, who is a west coast offense guy and has worked in the past with Favre, tells me that both Favre and Ahman Green will likely return. 

Green will come at a reasonable price and this will allow for a transition period for whoever the Packers draft as their future starter either in 2006 (DeAngelo Williams?) or later on (Packers could stick with Green/Gado in 2006).
Agreed. It's a little too soon to write Green out of Green Bay. The injury keeps his salary down big time. And, he's already stated on several occasions that he wants to be back in Green Bay. If anyone is leaving, my money is on Davenport.
:goodposting:

What about somewhere like Indy? Is it a possability they don't resign Edge and pick up Green for cheap?
Damn you for saying that. I don't want that piece of crap on my favorite team.

What about somewhere like Indy?  Is it a possability they don't resign Edge and pick up Green for cheap?
Wow, sorry. But wasn't he was a top 5 back at one point? I know he's getting older and injuries have slowed him down, but Indy might not be able to afford some of the other backs out there. And Green probably won't be expecting a big time contract. I think his style might fit nicely there. But thats just my opinion and I was curious what other people might have thought about it. We obviously know how you feel about it.

What about somewhere like Indy?  Is it a possability they don't resign Edge and pick up Green for cheap?
:no: Ahman Green would be an absolute stud in Indy. What can't he do?

- Very tough inside runner

- Breakaway speed

- Way above average receiving skills

- Good blocker

- Playoff experience

- Less than normal wear & tear last 2 seasons

- Same age as Shaun Alexander & Ricky Williams; younger than Tiki Barber

If Corey Dillon & Stephen Davis can have excellent change of scenery years at age 30, Ahman Green can certainly do it at age 28-29. His situation reminds me an awful lot of both of theirs. An injury plagued season, and the doubters scream "washed up" while a team with vision scoops them up and reaps the reward.

If I were the Colts, I'd see if I could pounce on him for pennies on the dollar and let Edge and his large contract demands walk.

Always amazes me what a down year can do for conventional perception in professional athletics.

Where does Gado fit into the equation? Is it possible that GB will let BOTH Green and Davenport walk and annoint Samkon as their starter?He did put up decent numbers while he was starting....

Where does Gado fit into the equation? Is it possible that GB will let BOTH Green and Davenport walk and annoint Samkon as their starter?

He did put up decent numbers while he was starting....
I would absolutley love that having all 3 of them on my dynasty team, but I don't see it happening. If they let Green and Davenport go then I fully expect them to draft a RB with their 1st rounder. I am a HUGE Gado fan though (went to college at Liberty too) but I'm not sure if they would just hand over the job to an undrafted free-agent that played about 6 games in his career.

RUMOR
A Packers source told The Post that the club is already enamored with USC running back LenDale White and that he would certainly not make it past Green Bay, which has the fifth pick in the upcoming draft.-- New York Post

Users who are viewing this thread