What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (5 Viewers)

Scary time this morning, as mom4 - latter day Wrighteous Ray on here - fell and hit her head and had to go to ER. She's all right now, and just looks ugly with a bunch of stitches and a fat lip. I'm just hopeful all continues well for the next 24 hours. I had a friend die a month ago of a subdural hematoma.
Is it a full frickin moon?

So I get a frantic call from my 13 y.o. daughter this AM about an hour after I got to work. She's crying.....her mom is on the ground and bleeding.....she can't stand blood.....like she may pass out and then there's two people down!....I say is she conscious? Yes ...ok, let me talk to her! Apparently she had a vaso vagal, passed out, fell from a kitchen stool and smacked her head.....my 10 y.o. son was tending to her.....he is a brave little dude, and he's a total Mama's boy. I jumped in my truck and hauled *** home! I work 15 minutes away.....my kids were relieved to see me....they were scared for their mom! I coordinated some friends to get em to school, took my wife to the ER....shes lucid, making sense, but she's got a gash on her forehead that needs stitches and I want to make sure not brain bleed.....twe went to the smaller town ER that's maybe 7 minutes farther away instead of the crazy busy one we are closer to. She gets right in....stictched up, clear head/c-spine CT....she's sore as hell, and looks like she took left hook from Mike Tyson.

She's had a few of these episodes in the past, so I'm pretty well versed......still its scary as hell. When you lose consciousness and go down you do not protect yourself....you hit hard.
I'm glad she is OK. My mother is a fainter. She still has hip issues from when she fainted in her kitchen several years ago, and fell on her hip on the hardwood floor. Most of her fainting is when she is sick. It's very worrisome.

Thank you for the kind words.....I'm just glad the ER didn't think I beat her up..... apparently they could tell we are a loving couple! Either that, or they thought she could probly kick my ***!

I think it's been posted in one of these threads before, but Sturgill's version of Call to Arms on SNL is one of the great performances in the history of the show. The way the musicians are reacting is awesome as they know they are slaughtering it. https://youtu.be/qsrsrOB0zNQ

Sturgill is great in multiple ways, but the fact that each album is so drastically different than the last, and that he can pull off all types of music (while still singing like a hick from Kentucky) is my favorite.

:shock: That was incredible. I'm even gonna force OH to watch it.

@scorchy and @krista4 Yesterday I went to Walmart to get some bird suet, and look what I saw! A few weeks ago I was in Target, and I looked to see if they had it, and I didn't see it there. I'm a thin crust person, but I got the pepperoni to try at some point.

I'll have to tell my mom! Maybe they'll have them at our local Walmart. Btw, those Screamin' Sicilian pies next to that are really good, too.

Thank you for the kind words.....I'm just glad the ER didn't think I beat her up..... apparently they could tell we are a loving couple! Either that, or they thought she could probly kick my ***!

I wondered if the ER my mom went to thought the same thing, but she's almost 80 and they probably see a lot of falls from her age group.

I think it's been posted in one of these threads before, but Sturgill's version of Call to Arms on SNL is one of the great performances in the history of the show. The way the musicians are reacting is awesome as they know they are slaughtering it. https://youtu.be/qsrsrOB0zNQ

Sturgill is great in multiple ways, but the fact that each album is so drastically different than the last, and that he can pull off all types of music (while still singing like a hick from Kentucky) is my favorite.

Yep, one of the best SNL performances I’ve ever seen.

@scorchy and @krista4 Yesterday I went to Walmart to get some bird suet, and look what I saw! A few weeks ago I was in Target, and I looked to see if they had it, and I didn't see it there. I'm a thin crust person, but I got the pepperoni to try at some point.

I'll have to tell my mom! Maybe they'll have them at our local Walmart. Btw, those Screamin' Sicilian pies next to that are really good, too.

Pretty sure my local Costco has Motor City brand pizza available in 2-packs.

I assume it's made in the motor city? I live here and never heard of it but Im kind of a pizza snob.

No idea. I've never had them. My mom used to like to get them at Costco - she called them her "emergency pizzas"- but then they stopped carrying them at her Costco.

Grrr. Just what I need for my diet. Must.avoid.target

ETA - seriously though, good info here. Maybe by Easter I'll be ready to eat an entire pizza. :-)

Pretty sure my local Costco has Motor City brand pizza available in 2-packs.
In the US Countdown thread, scorchy brought up he had eaten one recently or something like that, and k4 said her mom likes them too. Our Costco no longer sells them, and scorchy couldn't find them on his Costco search, because that is where he usually got his. Anyway, Target and Walmart do sell them, but I've only seen them at Walmart. I've never eaten one, but I will in the future.

I assume it's made in the motor city? I live here and never heard of it but Im kind of a pizza snob.
I like using those molinaro's pizza crust kits that Costco has sometimes, which they have the organic ones in now. Sometimes they have the zucchini or cauliflower crust kits. Sams always has the regular molinaro's kits in. They have a crust and sauce, and you build it from there.

Last edited:
Of the first 18 lists in, only six have a 31-pointer that has not been taken by someone else. In other words, only 1/3 of people so far have a chance of "owning" their #1 song. :)

Actually I should amend that. Two of the songs that have more than one vote have their votes only at the 31-point level. If it were to remain that way, those people would co-own their #1 songs. However, I fully expect that those two will get other, non-31-pointer votes.

All right...a generous person offered to donate a very tidy sum to the next contest awards. I am certain of who offered this, but I can't find the PM with it due to my over-tidying of my inbox (not a euphemism), so now I wonder if I dreamt it? Rather than putting the person on the spot in the event I did dream it and making them feel like they should offer it, I'm posting here to ask this person to PM me again with the offer.

my current list doesn't have anything besides 60's and '70s until you hit the 16th ranked song ...and that's '81.

given the choice - would you guys prefer I paste the best youtube version of the song - or a performance video that best captures the band or the sense of that point time with the band ...even though it might not be a great version of the song?

I'm not sure who likes the youtube versions - or how many just go straight spotify.

my current list doesn't have anything besides 60's and '70s until you hit the 16th ranked song ...and that's '81.

given the choice - would you guys prefer I paste the best youtube version of the song - or a performance video that best captures the band or the sense of that point time with the band ...even though it might not be a great version of the song?

I'm not sure who likes the youtube versions - or how many just go straight spotify.

I know of at least a few people in the thread who don't do Spotify, so Youtube links won't go to waste.

STILL NEED A VOLUNTEER...

to run real-time-ish spreadsheets. Believe me, this will be a lot less fun if we don't have a "new falguy" for this. To make it easier in hopes of enticing someone, I can note on each entry if a song or artist gets no more than one vote, so you aren't tracking a bunch of stuff that ends up not mattering. Or songs/artists that get no more than one vote or no more than 30 points. Or whatever might make it easier. We will have way, way more songs and artists in this one so it would be good to cut down on unnecessary work.

All right...a generous person offered to donate a very tidy sum to the next contest awards. I am certain of who offered this, but I can't find the PM with it due to my over-tidying of my inbox (not a euphemism), so now I wonder if I dreamt it? Rather than putting the person on the spot in the event I did dream it and making them feel like they should offer it, I'm posting here to ask this person to PM me again with the offer.

IT WAS ALL NOT A DREAM!! ANNOUNCE: @The Dreaded Marco has generously offered to fund $250 of the charity prize donations for this countdown!! :thanks: :shock: :wub:

So with that, let's go ahead and announce the ***OFFICIAL*** CONTEST rules.

Since this is a tough one to predict, and since not a single human being commented on my earlier request for feedback, I'm going to make it official that the ***OFFICIAL*** contest will entail your guessing the top 10 artists overall in this countdown. Please submit your answers to me, @krista4 , by 11:59 pm Pacific Time on Saturday, March 18.

TIE-BREAKER: You know it, you love it, you can't live without it - it's the Ace Award! As a tie-breaker, please submit your guess at the "Ace Award," which participants in prior countdowns know means the song that receives the most points from an artist who has no other songs in the countdown. If no one correctly guesses the Ace Award (which no one will, based on past experience), then the person who chooses an Ace Award candidate (artist with only one song) with the highest number of points will win the tiebreaker. If no one chooses an "Ace," then the next will be someone who chooses an artist with only two songs, etc.

Winner of the contest receives $250 donated to the charity of their choice.

Changes to submissions: I will allow one (1) post-submission change per poster. These changes must be one-for-one changes, not in the nature of "I forgot my top song so put this at the top and move everything else down." For this reason, please do not submit until you are absolutely certain you are done. Remember, there are no prizes awarded for early submissions, so just don't, unless you're sure of your picks. Talk it over with your spouse, kids, pets, neighbors, coworkers, clergy, and therapists to determine "Am I really ready to commit?" before doing so. Unlimited changes (within reason) to sub a different version or link to the same song will be accepted.
REMINDER.

I’m getting requests for massive changes and it’s really not cool for me. At this point I’ve input data from all the lists so changes are a gigantic PITA.

Last edited:
Changes to submissions: I will allow one (1) post-submission change per poster. These changes must be one-for-one changes, not in the nature of "I forgot my top song so put this at the top and move everything else down." For this reason, please do not submit until you are absolutely certain you are done. Remember, there are no prizes awarded for early submissions, so just don't, unless you're sure of your picks. Talk it over with your spouse, kids, pets, neighbors, coworkers, clergy, and therapists to determine "Am I really ready to commit?" before doing so. Unlimited changes (within reason) to sub a different version or link to the same song will be accepted.
REMINDER.

I’m getting requests for massive changes and it’s really not cool for me. At this point I’ve input data from all the lists so changes are a gigantic PITA.
Honestly, it's like no one read the post about this at all. Other than me and Mr R, I mean.

Are the top 10 artists based on total points or total appearances?
I think my top song has a decent chance (30%)at being the Ace winner.

I've probably mentioned it before, but that was my first exposure to him and the look on my face about halfway through it was...well...a lot like that emoji. I wonder if I'd have appreciated it even more had I been familiar with the studio version first though. In a vacuum it was a face-melting performance, but consider how much it was sped up vs the original...

to run real-time-ish spreadsheets. Believe me, this will be a lot less fun if we don't have a "new falguy" for this. To make it easier in hopes of enticing someone, I can note on each entry if a song or artist gets no more than one vote, so you aren't tracking a bunch of stuff that ends up not mattering. Or songs/artists that get no more than one vote or no more than 30 points. Or whatever might make it easier. We will have way, way more songs and artists in this one so it would be good to cut down on unnecessary work.
I can do it but I may not be as quick to update as Falguy (or as skilled) but I am pretty sure I can handle the task.

I'd help you if I was even semi-good with spreadsheets. I'm great at wrecking them.

I can do it but I may not be as quick to update as Falguy (or as skilled) but I am pretty sure I can handle the task.
:thanks: I’ll PM you.

This middle-aged dummy is in London. Landed at Heathrow at 7 am after an overnight flight, grabbed a nap at the hotel, and now me and the missus are trying to work up the energy for a Hold Steady show tonight. Feel so old...
Have a great time tonight and over yonder across the pond.

This middle-aged dummy is in London. Landed at Heathrow at 7 am after an overnight flight, grabbed a nap at the hotel, and now me and the missus are trying to work up the energy for a Hold Steady show tonight. Feel so old...
Teach some of the Brits you run across to speak Balmerese and record it. I need a good laugh.

Enjoy your trip!

Teach some of the Brits you run across to speak Balmerese and record it. I need a good laugh.
I thought it was funny when friends from the UK and Oz told me they had to watch The Wire with subtitles. Then folks from Georgia, Texas, etc. said the same thing.

My sweet grandmother had it bad. Her hometown paper was called the Maryland Herald. She called it the Murrlin-durr Hurled.

My sweet grandmother had it bad. Her hometown paper was called the Maryland Herald. She called it the Murrlin-durr Hurled.
In the early '80s, I worked at the court house in Annapolis with a dude from either Linthicum or Glen Burnie who had it. We'd snort coke in the bathroom during the day (so did everyone else under 70 years old) or go out for drinks at lunch-time (so did everyone else, regardless of age). It amazed me that his accent would get less Baltimore the more wired or drunk he got - I don't know why this shocked me; I guess I expected his patois to get more pronounced.

It amazed me that his accent would get less Baltimore the more wired or drunk he got - I don't know why this shocked me; I guess I expected his patois to get more pronounced.
That is curious

One of my close friends escaped Dundalk and has mostly lost his accent. Except he brings it out when telling Dundalk jokes in full patois with punchlines like "stop squeezin' me Paw Paw, ur crushin' ma smokes."

REMINDER.

Just don't accept the changes. This isn't life-or-death.

REMINDER.

Just don't accept the changes. This isn't life-or-death.
Agreed. That’s the risk of submitting early. I did so.

REMINDER.

You are an absolute saint for doing all of this.

Maybe just use the last sheet of his and save a copy and swap out the songs/artists as we go along? May not be a ton of work since it's like a template?

Users who are viewing this thread