What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (4 Viewers)

Lists are rolling in! One of today's killed the then-current Ace Award leader. No idea where that will end up.

I'm feeling really un-creative today but am going to put together the questions for the SUPER-AWESOME-WORLD-MEGA-CONTEST!!!111. I've made some notes along the way, but there's so little consensus on these picks that it's harder to come up with good questions. Maybe some wine would help.

Last edited:
Would say country vs country questions but it'd maybe descend into "but the keyboard player is from Ecuador" type of arguments

I would love to have done that, but had two issues: (1) not everyone sent me the countries for their picks, and hell no I'm not looking them all up, and (2) many people posted the distribution of countries on their lists, which made some of the questions I had in mind no longer usable.

You know it, you love it, you can't live without it...it's the...

SUPER-AWESOME-WORLD-MEGA-CONTEST!!!111

Due to the generosity of @The Dreaded Marco , @Hawks64 and @Uruk-Hai , when combined with my donations we will have a total of $1000 in the pot for the two contests. As a result, we will award a $350 charitable donation to the winner of this contest, and a $150 donation to the second-place person's charity. The deadlines for entries, to be PM'd to me, will be 11:59 pm PDT on Saturday, March 18. It is most helpful to me if you could give the answer to the question and not just the related letter, but OK if you miss this part.

Please note that some of these questions ask which artist/song will rank first or second. That does not mean that those artists/songs will be at the top of their category. it's only a snapshot of some subset of artists/songs that could be selected in a category.

1. It’s Deja VoteVu All Over Again.

Which of the following top scorers in prior countdowns will NOT have a song covered in this countdown: (a) The Beatles, (b) David Bowie, (c) Bob Dylan, (d) The Kinks, or (e) none of the above (all will be covered)?*

*Hat tip to @Just Win Baby for a suggestion that inspired this question.

2. "It is a common misconception that Zanzibar is just one island" gives us much more credit than we deserve.

If Freddie Mercury had had the good sense to be born in the British Isles, Queen’s cumulative point total in this countdown would have placed them where in the list of favorite artists in the British Isles countdown: (a) 1st-4th place (>=686 points), (b) 5th-8th place (581-685 points), (c) 9th-11th (414-580 points), (d) 12th-15th place (316-413 points), or (e) 16th place or below (<316 points)?*

*Hat tip to @Pip's Invitation for a suggestion that inspired this question.

3. Hat tip to no one, though undoubtedly some dude will take credit for it.

Of the following female or female-led acts, which will score the most points: (a) ABBA, (b) The Fugees, (c) Joni Mitchell, (d) Nico (with VU and solo), or (e) The Pretenders?

4. Suck it Joe Rogan!*

Put the following artists in descending (Binky: ascending) order of total points. You will get one (1) point for each correct placement: (a) Buffalo Springfield, (b) Crosby, Stills and Nash (no Young – Binky, no Old), (c) Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, (d) Joni Mitchell, and (e) Neil Young (solo and with Crazy Horse)?

*Please don’t ban me, Spotify.

5. It’s 1776 all over again. Or wait, the opposite (Binky: the same).

Of the following UK/US-blended bands, which will score the most cumulative points: (a) Fleetwood Mac, (b) Guns N’ Roses, (c) Jimi Hendrix Experience, (d) The Police, or (e) Talking Heads?

6. America’s Hat.

Of the following Canadian or Canadian-ish artists, which will score the second-most points: (a) Arcade Fire, (b) The Band, (c) Leonard Cohen, (d) The Mamas and the Papas, or (e) Rush?

7. The Sound of Rand and McNally Quietly Weeping.

Which representative of these oft-confused-by-US-dumbasses countries will score more cumulative points: (a) Metallica (Denmark, the Danish!) or (b) Van Halen (The Netherlands, Holland, the Dutch!)?

8. Where In the World ARE the Middle-Aged Dummies?

Which of the following much-maligned US locales will NOT receive a song-title shout-out: (a) Bakersfield, (b) Buffalo, (c) Detroit, (d) Memphis, or (e) none of the above (all will be represented)?

9. Colo(u)r My World.

Which of the following colo(u)rs will get the most votes cumulatively from artist names and song titles: (a) Blue (NOT including artists/titles with “blues” in them), (b) Green, (c) Red, (d) White, or (e) Yello(w)? NOTE that I am counting only English-language artist names/song titles, as I ain’t no Babbel.

10. It’s Deja VoteVu All Over Again…Again.

Which of the following also-rans in prior countdowns will NOT have a song with a cover version in this countdown: (a) Cream, (b) George Michael, (c) Townes Van Zandt, (d) Warren Zevon, or (e) none of the above (all will be covered)?

TIE-BREAKER: How many total artists will be selected in this countdown? Price Is Right rules are in effect (i.e., closest without going over).

Last edited:
I realize that a couple of those questions - those with "which will NOT" in them - will give a teeny advantage to anyone who chose something that is listed. But I think it's fine because (1) the other four options even things out significantly, (2) it's all for charity anyway, and (3) YOU try to come up with better questions, jerkface.

Last edited:
Yeah, sadly had to rule out one of otb's picks based on the "solo artist" rule. You should feel free to share it and give the song (and the piano player) some love!

ANNOUNCE: I had an inquiry about Death Cab for Cutie, because they were ruled ineligible in the US countdown. I checked that thread and saw that someone posted that they were ineligible due to a German drummer, and I just took their word for it and put them on the list. But their drummer was born in Bellingham, WA, which I swear is in the US. Though they were ruled ineligible for the US in error, they will still be eligible here.

76-ISH HOUR WARNING!!!111ONEONEONE

Lists are due to me no later than Friday at 11:59 PDT. Do not taunt Happy Fun Krista with a late list!

I'd tag people who I think are submitting but haven't yet, but I don't want to apply undue pressure if they're busy or uninterested.

I'm at 45. I'm getting there...

My work does a NCAA bracket thingie through ESPN. Literally 70,000+ employees invited, and many thousand who participate. Today someone thought she was late for her entry and sent a note saying she had messed up the time zones and hoped she could still get in, which of course makes no sense anyway, but also went out to every one of the thousands of people submitting a bracket.

Now I'm just waiting for the endless "please stop replying to all" to play out.

And OH sat down last night and started putting together an initial list for listening purposes. :lol:
How many kazoo bands?

At first glance I think this list will be more like his US one, which was well into the upper half of the chalk rankings. But then again, it's not done (or really even started) yet...
So some O Brother Where Art Thou ish in the top 5?

I don't get it...?

Unless I've missed someone, which is totally possible, I have "last five (or so) out" from only the following people. If you'd like to add yours, please PM me by EOD Saturday.

Just Win Baby

Pip's Invitation

DrIanMalcolm

Don Quixote

Dr. Octopus

Mrs Rannous

titusbramble

worrierking

Val Rannous

Mt. Man

simey

New Binky the Doormat

jwb

shuke

And OH sat down last night and started putting together an initial list for listening purposes. :lol:
How many kazoo bands?

At first glance I think this list will be more like his US one, which was well into the upper half of the chalk rankings. But then again, it's not done (or really even started) yet...

I don't get it...?
His top 5 US list had some old folk songs that many of us had never heard of.

How many kazoo bands?

I don't get it...?
His top 5 US list had some old folk songs that many of us had never heard of.

Oh, I guess I don't really know the O Brother soundtrack. Hated that movie.

Hated that movie.

Oh my oh my oh my. I think I just heard MoCS rumble a bit at the thought. That's why it's been raining non-stop in Southern California these past few weeks. God found out!

I never would have admitted it to him! The only song I remember from the movie, though, was that one, and I did love the version!

Is this where I also admit that I don’t hate, but really don’t get, The Big Lebowski?

Hated that movie.

Oh my oh my oh my. I think I just heard MoCS rumble a bit at the thought. That's why it's been raining non-stop in Southern California these past few weeks. God found out!

I never would have admitted it to him! The only song I remember from the movie, though, was that one, and I did love the version!

Is this where I also admit that I don’t hate, but really don’t get, The Big Lebowski?
:cry:

There are no safe spaces for that admission, I'm afraid.

The Big Lebowski can be confusing about what it's trying to do. My parents didn't get it. Lots of people don't. That's why it's a cult film.

I see it as a period piece about what the early nineties' dominant intellectual climate was as manifested through its characters, mixed with tons of absurd humor and piss taking of those modes of thought. I think Ethan Coen has a degree in political philosophy from, um, a certain school in New Jersey, and it shows up often in his work.

The Big Lebowski can be confusing about what it's trying to do. My parents didn't get it. Lots of people don't. That's why it's a cult film.

I see it as a period piece about what the early nineties' dominant intellectual climate was as manifested through its characters, mixed with tons of absurd humor and piss taking of those modes of thought. I think Ethan Coen has a degree in political philosophy from, um, a certain school in New Jersey, and it shows up often in his work.
Yep. There is even a nod to said school in Burn After Reading (which I think is almost as good as Lebowski but I know I'm in the minority on that.)

Unless I've missed someone, which is totally possible, I have "last five (or so) out" from only the following people. If you'd like to add yours, please PM me by EOD Saturday.

Just Win Baby

Pip's Invitation

DrIanMalcolm

Don Quixote

Dr. Octopus

Mrs Rannous

titusbramble

worrierking

Val Rannous

Mt. Man

simey

New Binky the Doormat

jwb

shuke
I'll send an irish american greatest hits from our 15 hours of drinking Friday. I'll be sure it's progressively sloppier by the end.

Lotta ins. Lotta outs.

The only song I remember from the movie, though, was that one, and I did love the version!

It's a song that really carries the movie. It had to be good, or the movie is totally unbelievable. As for the movie itself, I personally liked the send-up of Southern progressive politics that were dominant at the time the movie takes place. So I dug the movie.

Lotta ins. Lotta outs.

Lotta what-have-yous...

Users who are viewing this thread