What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (3 Viewers)

That's the most serious Barenaked Ladies song I've ever heard. Not too familiar with their catalogues as their songs are a bit too silly for me, but I liked Easy.

No playlist? I have some boring mindless administrative outside counsel billing work that would be prime for listening.

LOOK AT ME, I CAN AFFORD SPOTTY "PREMIUM!!"

no slag at you, DocOc - just venting 😁
Don't tell anyone but I'm still on my ex-brother in law's family plan. I'd gladly spend the $10 a month though.

i was on a similar pay scheme, but it has gone into arrears, just in time for the countdown - so, now the conundrum ... i don't wanna pay, but i shan't be tortured by ads & such.

cheap bastid, i am 😵‍💫

No playlist? I have some boring mindless administrative outside counsel billing work that would be prime for listening.

Please don't lose your faith in Management.
We won't spoil our lists if you don't spoil Doc Oc's boring mindless administrative outside counsel billing work.
The downside of working for a German company is they love their "tools" - there/s like 5 different processes that must be done to get outside counsel paid, and it's dreadful, which is why I let it pile up until I'm ready to suck up an hour or two knocking it out.

Mark Ronson getting his second Ace award would be some great schtick.

Last edited:

no slag at you, DocOc - just venting 😁
Don't tell anyone but I'm still on my ex-brother in law's family plan. I'd gladly spend the $10 a month though.

i was on a similar pay scheme, but it has gone into arrears, just in time for the countdown - so, now the conundrum ... i don't wanna pay, but i shan't be tortured by ads & such.

cheap bastid, i am 😵‍💫
If you listen on a tablet/PC you can at least fast forward each song with the slider so you essentially get unlimited "skips". Doesn't work on a phone, though, and you still get ads.

I don’t have Premium either. Spotify stinks on phone, but not too bad on iPad, laptop, etc.

Ads can be annoying if want to jump around in the list, but okay if just set it and go. You can also fast forward to about 10 seconds left in song and it won’t treat it like a skip.

(ETA: Or see Andy’s post saying same thing as I was typing.)

worrierking:

Beds Are Burning - Midnight Oil - Australia
(duplicate – second vote)

My three pointer is unusual in that I generally hate protest/political songs (Drive-by Truckers have been ruined for me after being one of my favorites in the 2010s by their political turn. Awful!). I make rare exceptions and this one is so musically perfect and earnestly sung and performed that it wins me over. It's an instant crank-up song on the car radio.

cruisin around in a beat up Chevy Nova with an Alpine tape deck worth more than the car
Same rig for me. I had a '73 hatchback and the entire back was filled with speakers I had built a frame for. I had toggle switches under the dash so I could turn the different speakers (I think I had 12 of them back there, of all different makes and sizes; one was a guitar amp) on & off. If I cranked that thing, shingles would blow off of nearby houses.
I can picture it now! My buddy had the Nova....not quite that elaborate of a sound system though. I bet you were a hit with the codgers in the neighborhood :shades:

grazie, Andy & DQ ... good lookin' out :hifive:

thing is, i do 90% of my listening thru my phone these days -

i've had Preemy since as far back as it were offered - i'll rectify shortly.

BTW - Susanna Hoffs book signing ("This Bird Has Flown") coming up Monday, 4/3 , 7:30 p.m. up at the Strand here in the City ... anyone else local planning a Manic Monday?

ps - she is a freakin' riot on the social mediaz ... she's either smokin' a lot, or on great meds ... or (prolly) both 😁

pps - she looks and sounds amazing at 64 ❤️

I don’t have Premium either. Spotify stinks on phone, but not too bad on iPad, laptop, etc.

Ads can be annoying if want to jump around in the list, but okay if just set it and go. You can also fast forward to about 10 seconds left in song and it won’t treat it like a skip.

Why, when I click on a link from the list, does Spotify cue up something else?? I've completely given up on it......if I'm taken to Spotify, I either end up not listening to the song at all, Google the YouTube version, or try to find it on Amazon music.

Why, when I click on a link from the list, does Spotify cue up something else?? I've completely given up on it......if I'm taken to Spotify, I either end up not listening to the song at all, Google the YouTube version, or try to find it on Amazon music.

I started having this problem on my playlist a week or two ago. It automatically adds in "Spotify suggestions" if you put it on Shuffle. I turn those off, then it's OK again, and then they come back. I don't have the issue if I listen to a playlist in order, as I for these, but that's not usually how I want to listen! Very irritating.

BTW - Susanna Hoffs book signing ("This Bird Has Flown") coming up Monday, 4/3 , 7:30 p.m. up at the Strand here in the City ... anyone else local planning a Manic Monday?

ps - she is a freakin' riot on the social mediaz ... she's either smokin' a lot, or on great meds ... or (prolly) both 😁

pps - she looks and sounds amazing at 64 ❤️

just had to, she's irresistible

😍

ok, back to the hits!

FAVORITES FROM ROUND 3, known or otherwise:

Just Win Baby: Lunatic Fringe, Red Rider – a bit of a Tom Petty sound, and one of those “I didn’t realize I knew this song” songs. Cool groove.
Pip: Uptown Funk is a classic for good reason. It’s such a ********* earworm.
Andy Dufresne: Forgotten Years, Midnight Oil
Don Quixote, The Third Man Theme – has anyone not seen this movie? It’s such a ********* treasure.
Scorchy: Ode to LA, The Ravenonettes – This is a pretty cool Shins-type sound albeit with the female vocalist. I really enjoyed this.
Shuke: Headsick, July Talk – yeah, this is a nice one with a good deal of crunch to it. Fun lyrics. “I watched a stranger **** the love of my life.”
Hawks 64: You’re in Trouble, Ratt – Okay, another one with some wattage behind it. Nice.
Titusbramble: Find Me, Jam & Spoon – This is pretty cool, danceable stuff, with a really neat groove. I like.
Krista4: Pink Frost, The Chills – Very cool, with that interesting bass line that kicks through the entire thing, and some very nice drumming in there.
Mt. Man: Snow (Hey Oh) – RHCP – Yeah, this one’s a good one.
Every 1s a Winner – Hot Chocolate – Oh, this one’s a real thumper. Me likey.
MAC_32: Hate to Say I Told You So, the Hives – nice, a bit like Cracker. It’s nice and sharp-tongued.
Oliver Humanzee: Zawal, Tinairwen – This is very interesting. There’s an element of blues in here with the sitar and what’s apparently North African driven sounds? It’s not something I’ve heard much of but I will say I do like it quite a bit.

Pip’s Invitation:

Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson (feat. Bruno Mars) (UK/US)
(both new artists)

This song is as undeniable as it is ubiquitous. It's brash, it's funky and it stimulates your head and your booty. And it appeals to everyone of all ages. When he was little, my son would sometimes just randomly start saying "Uptown funk you up, I said uptown funk you up."

Yes. It's beyond. You have to dance to it. It won't leave you alone. For good reason.

known to me faves that are faves i know ...

Lunatic Fringe - it's the sirens, then that riffage ... i thought the flick it were in totally blew, but this tune is so emblematic of that era.

Uptown Funk - mentioned this yesterday, was the star of my daughter's 10th b'day party ... matter of fact, after i shipped the pro karaoke chap tfo, the girls brought my daughter's mini karaoke downstairs, and wailed about 5 versions of this (i made them go 3 at a time) ... my foot tapped and bounced like the last night i had blow & codeine going. it's an immense groove.

No One Like You - Klaus Meine!! these bastids did melodic metal like few others.

Wreck Of The Eddie Fitz - can never tire of this one, as epic and sweeping as all get out - one of the YouTubez kids cobbled together a great vid featuring the first bulletin from Harry Reasoner, then interspersed actual pics & footage of the crew, the Fitz, the Maritime hall in Deee-troy-it ... lends another remarkable dimension to all this greatness.

Every 1s A Winner - yes, these guys could infect the feet to do something good ... when these cats hit, they really *hit*

I Beg Yer Pardon - the Lynn Andy original has been on every playlist i ever created ... and i remember LMFAO at this glorious mess upon first hearing it - but i'll be COTdamned if it don't work magic.

Turn Me Loose - they're no Chilliwack, but, hey ... if ya can't get vibed by these northern dudes, go check your pulse.

Synch II - was never yuuuge on the Cops, but that intro sounds like a righteous hellscape to me ... always saw it as a 15 yr update of "Pleasant Valley Sunday"

that's all i got - hope to hit the newer ish by the 'morrow.

🤘

Krista4: Pink Frost, The Chills – Very cool, with that interesting bass line that kicks through the entire thing, and some very nice drumming in there.

This reminded me I hadn't written anything about my selection today. It's not tied to any personal memory, and I've never seen them in concert, but I just enjoy the whole vibe of it. Sort of ethereal and spooky, with the interesting bass line you mentioned and some excellent drum fills.

I Beg Yer Pardon - the Lynn Andy original has been on every playlist i ever created ... and i remember LMFAO at this glorious mess upon first hearing it - but i'll be COTdamned if it don't work magic.

This was like the official song of Mardi Gras dance teams the year it came out. Every parade, you'd hear two or three or four dance teams blaring Kon Kan.

This was like the official song of Mardi Gras dance teams the year it came out. Every parade, you'd hear two or three or four dance teams blaring Kon Kan.

oh, hellz yeah ... i can see that, what with those whistles blaring during the "DO YOU WANT TO SALSA?!?" break 😁

Are Uptown Funk and Somebody That I Used to Know the most ubiquitous songs of the '10s? If so, funny that they both showed up for the first time in this countdown on the same day.
0 clue, as I thought Get Lucky was as well. ;)
I think it’s a tier below. Very close though.

Of those three, the only one I know I'd heard before was the Bruno Mars - errrr, I mean Mark Ronson - one. I'm probably not a good gauge, though.

Are Uptown Funk and Somebody That I Used to Know the most ubiquitous songs of the '10s? If so, funny that they both showed up for the first time in this countdown on the same day.
0 clue, as I thought Get Lucky was as well. ;)
I think it’s a tier below. Very close though.

Of those three, the only one I know I'd heard before was the Bruno Mars - errrr, I mean Mark Ronson - one.

ditto on this.

it is what it is.

Wow!

I was meh on the known-to-me songs today, lots of which I like but nothing I loved, and I started my listening party for the new-to-me songs in a similar fashion, with nothing grabbing me as a new favorite. Then I got to the one-two punch POW-POW of Jens Lekman's "A Postcard to Nina" and The Pack a.d.'s "Everyone Looks Like Everyone." Big hearts for each of these, with the former being sweet and clever and (yes, Pip, I thought) funny, and the latter for that vocal...so off-kilter, like it's about to go off the rails at any time, and then she pulls it back in. Rocked hard and would have been my favorite of the day were it not for the one I note in the next paragraph.

Other highlights were the Rannouses "Edmund Fitzgerald" cover and the song by Gotye that I'm apparently supposed to (used to) know. "Little Green Bag" by George Baker Selection went in unexpected directions that kept me very interested. Speaking of unexpected directions, my favorite of the day is The Avalanches's "Because I'm Me." I don't think I've heard anything quite like this, and I loved it. Have re-listened a few times already. "Beware the Dog" by the Griswolds made me want to check out more of their stuff. Other new favorites: "Funny Thing" by The Vines, "Fencewalk" by Mandrill, and, not a "new" favorite but a reminder favorite, "I Beg Your Pardon." If you don't like that last one, you have no joy in your life. :lol:

Of those three, the only one I know I'd heard before was the Bruno Mars - errrr, I mean Mark Ronson - one. I'm probably not a good gauge, though.
That’s just so shocking to me that anyone doesn’t know these songs. No offense, it’s just mind blowing.
I happen to know those three, but at the same time I am not going to judge anyone for not knowing them. I admittedly often find rocks comfortable dwelling beneath.

That’s just so shocking to me that anyone doesn’t know these songs. No offense, it’s just mind blowing.

Wouldn't offend me in the least. It must be like how I felt when scorchy named "My Sweet Lord" as a new-to-him song he liked. :)

ETA: I'd assume part of it for me is that I spend 0% of my time around kids/teenagers.

Even I know and like these and I barely know any new(2000+) music. Probably only due to all the drafts I've been in but Uptown Funk should be known by even a casual music fan

Wouldn't offend me in the least. It must be like how I felt when scorchy named "My Sweet Lord" as a new-to-him song he liked. :)

ETA: I'd assume part of it for me is that I spend 0% of my time around kids/teenagers.

As someone who works with the youths, I’ll say those songs were never popular with them. Those songs were driven by adults.

For example, the year Uptown Funk was the hit of the year, I did this annual end of the year trivia I do with all my HS classes. A question I asked was “what was the most streamed song of the year”? It’s multiple choice but I remember the kids did not choose Uptown Funk. When I showed the answer, they were all like “oh yeah my mom loves that song”.

Users who are viewing this thread