What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Known Favorites

Forgotten Years - Midnight Oil (Andy Dufresne)
No One Like You - Scorpions (Dr.Octopus) - I won a Scorpions shirt at a carnival when I was in 6th grade. This older girl at Skateland (Lesly) told me she loved the shirt and wished she had one. I gave it to her. She gave me a peck on the cheek. So disappointing.
Umbrella – Rihanna (feat. Jay-Z) (Ilov80s)
What You Need - INXS (New Binky the Doormat)
Hate To Say I Told You So - The Hives (MAC_32)
Original Sin - INXS (Eephus)
I Beg Your Pardon - Kon Kan (Doug B) - I've always loved this song. The last great synth-pop song of a great synth-pop decade.
Synchronicity II - The Police (westerberg)

New to Me Favorites

Headsick - July Talk (shuke)
A Postcard To Nina - Jens Lekman (The Dreaded Marco) - 30 seconds in, I was ready to hit skip. 90 seconds in, I was like "wait, I really like this." Song's over and I hit the back button to listen again.
Help I'm Alive - Metric (Raging weasel)
Little Green Bag - George Baker Selection (otb_lifer)
Funny Thing - The Vines (simey) - I bought The Vines debut album on the basis of "Get Free" back in 2002. Liked it. Never heard anything else from them again until this. Thanks, Simey.
Every 1's A Winner - Hot Chocolate (John Madden’s Lunchbox)
Parabola - Tool (KarmaPolice)
Leash Called Love - The Sugarcubes (zamboni)

Unsure Favorite

Because I'm Me - The Avalanches (rockaction) - If I ever heard this song before, it's because an infamous FFA thumper rule violator wrote about my choice of Metallica's "One":

What a ####### terrible song. Like a ####ty version of the Avalanches. This song shouldn't be on the list let alone #4. Horrible choice.

My gb rockaction leapt to my defense while also filling me in on the Avalanches. Can't remember if this is one of the songs he recommended (likely so), but it's great, even though it sounds nothing like Metallica.

Wow!

I was meh on the known-to-me songs today, lots of which I like but nothing I loved, and I started my listening party for the new-to-me songs in a similar fashion, with nothing grabbing me as a new favorite. Then I got to the one-two punch POW-POW of Jens Lekman's "A Postcard to Nina" and The Pack a.d.'s "Everyone Looks Like Everyone." Big hearts for each of these, with the former being sweet and clever and (yes, Pip, I thought) funny, and the latter for that vocal...so off-kilter, like it's about to go off the rails at any time, and then she pulls it back in. Rocked hard and would have been my favorite of the day were it not for the one I note in the next paragraph.

Other highlights were the Rannouses "Edmund Fitzgerald" cover and the song by Gotye that I'm apparently supposed to (used to) know. "Little Green Bag" by George Baker Selection went in unexpected directions that kept me very interested. Speaking of unexpected directions, my favorite of the day is The Avalanches's "Because I'm Me." I don't think I've heard anything quite like this, and I loved it. Have re-listened a few times already. "Beware the Dog" by the Griswolds made me want to check out more of their stuff. Other new favorites: "Funny Thing" by The Vines, "Fencewalk" by Mandrill, and, not a "new" favorite but a reminder favorite, "I Beg Your Pardon." If you don't like that last one, you have no joy in your life. :lol:
I’ve drafted Fencewalk before. YOU DONT READ MY POSTS!!!!! :laugh:

Hey, Oh. I gave this song a trey, oh!
Red Hot Chili Peppers songs tend to be a bit hit-or-miss for me (or at least range from good to “meh”). Though no points for guessing which side of this song lands on for me. As noted in the US compilation, this is here because Flea is Australian. That’s three selections in a row with at least one Aussie. That’ll dry up for a bit. I even have an Austrian before my next Australian(s).

#29s
Recognized by title alone: 15
Sounded familiar: 5
Didn't know: 23

Special Shout-Out: I Beg Your Pardon (Doug B) - General line of thought: “well, I’m sure this isn’t a straight cover” “wait, they’re covering Pet Shop Boys?” “oh, THIS song. Yeah, I remember this! Haven’t heard it in ages, though.”

Selected Favorites:
Lunatic Fringe (Just Win Baby) - Flashback of the Day Award!
The Harry Lime Theme (Don Quixote)
Little Green Bag (otb_lifer) - I primarily know this from Reservoir Dogs. Which isn’t the only song you can say that about.
Parabola (KarmaPolice)

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Wombo Lombo (DrIanMalcolm)
Headsick (shuke)
Beware The Dog (Hov34)
Broken Strings (ditkaburgers)

Last edited:
Average songs I've known purely per day: 16/43 (probably 18-19 included "oh, I know this song" moments. Both figures not including my revealed selections, of course)
Yet to be revealed songs of mine on others lists so far: 3

I can't help but be amused that both of these are true.

Mister CIA:

Everyone Looks Like Everyone - The Pack A.D. - Canada
(new artist)

Sounds like the White Stripes.
I only found this band about a month ago when I was jumping into time sinks looking for new material for this thread. According to the youtube comments, several of their songs are included in the Hulu sitcom Letterkenney (have not watched). They are 100% molded by the White Stripes, in the best way. Which reminds me of another power duo that I just discovered are also from Canada; I would have reserved a top-20 spot for them had I known. Drats!

Don't think I'm spotlighting by posting a link to their KEXP session. Tracks 1,2, & 4 are my favorites. The vocals are front and center on track 4, where she veers towards Erika Wennerstrom territory. Despite efforts to pull off a grunge tomboy look, you can plainly see that she's like really hot. The drumming is tight as ####.

Songs I was digging while spreadsheeting:

• Help I'm Alive by The Metric- this is so hard, probably my number 2 of this mix
  • Forgotten Years by Midnight Oil- my 2nd ever MO song and I dig it
  • Sneaky clever pick for the Harry Lime theme
  • The cover of The Wreck of Edmund Fitz is cool, best cover selected so far and as a Great Laker, this song is religious to me so the bar was high
  • The Chills, I like this a lot
  • Lasgo, yes las f'n go
  • Funny Thing, yes it is a funny thing how much I like this song
  • Avalanches! I didn't know they were eligible!
  • Every1's a Winner, with this playlist I would agree
  • I enjoy everything Mamas and Papas
  • My handle requires me to tell you that the Loverboy song selected is awesome

The winner of the round is Ode to LA by the Raveonettes . To me, this is the best round yet for any of these drafts.

Last edited:
No playlist? I have some boring mindless administrative outside counsel billing work that would be prime for listening.

Sorry! I must have had a miscommuncation with Hawks. I sent him these in advance as he was going to be busy today, and he sent me the playlist. I thought he was still going to be the one posting it, but he must have intended for me to do it.

Please don't lose your faith in Management.
Apologies for the miscommunication,

signed the peon working in the basement.

ps...where's my stapler?!

I'm delinquent sharing thoughts on other songs, and short on recollections. I love at least 20 songs so far, but Ofo the Black Company's Allah Wakbarr (@Don Quixote) is my favorite.

EDIT: and Murder City Nights. Is that Mister K?
EDIT deux: And damn, Point That Thing Elsewhere just started playing out of thin air (literally).

Last edited:
IMDB resume of Headstones frontman (Wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald cover singer).

I know a lot of y'all nerd out artist documentaries, but I'm hoping for one more chilly weekend to binge out on some of this.

Last edited:
Ratt!!

And another for the list of "I really wish I'd have looked deeper into this".

Big fan. :headbang:

------
As a fan of the original, I too dig the cover of Edmund Fitzgerald.
------
Easy by Barenaked Ladies hit me like Common People did last round. Instant heart added.
------
Don't know if it'll stick but I hearted Headsick.

Last edited:
Ok, I think this spreadsheet is up to date and accurate.

I heard lots of good songs while working on it, not sure I caught which was which though.

Early signs say if the band spells their name with all CAPS then they are going to do well.

Just to let you all know, 80s asked me where to make the cutoff for listing on the "artist points" and "song points" parts of the spreadsheet, and I asked him just to add when an artist or song had two or more votes. I have separate lists in this countdown of each artist and each song that has only one vote, so if anyone's dying to know when we're done, I can provide those.

Thank you to 80s for the work on this! Spreadsheets look great!

I need to find the time to do another one of those mathematical equation teasers for this countdown. I was impressed that several people (I remember AAABatteries, Doug B, maybe Val?) tried to figure it out.

Tonight, however, will not be that night. I'm trying to use up some Ras el Hanout and fixing Moroccan food tonight, which seems fitting for the thread but is time-consuming. Come to think of it, I made Cuban on Monday, too!

Quick scan of tomorrow's picks shows some more love for the ALL CAPS crews, but which ones? We also start to get some double votes for more songs, which history tells me people will over-emphasize to think they're gonna pull off big upsets. So another reminder...in most instances you don't really want your favorite songs and artists coming up yet.

We'll also have a double-up of an artist that's having their first appearance on the countdown. And four points to one of the Ace Award guesses, this time without the song being simultaneously knocked out of the competition!

Even though Olivia Newton-John wasn't eligible here, we'll have her on our minds. Tomorrow also will include my favorite Sullie commentary so far.

Finally, one of the following will make an appearance:

8. Where In the World ARE the Middle-Aged Dummies?

Which of the following much-maligned US locales will NOT receive a song-title shout-out: (a) Bakersfield, (b) Buffalo, (c) Detroit, (d) Memphis, or (e) none of the above (all will be represented)?

Ratt!!

------
------
Easy by Barenaked Ladies hit me like Common People did last round. Instant heart added.
------
Arrgh, I missed Ratt being picked. My attention deficiency is real. Unconditional love assigned.

Which of the following much-maligned US locales will NOT receive a song-title shout-out: (a) Bakersfield, (b) Buffalo, (c) Detroit, (d) Memphis, or (e) none of the above (all will be represented)?
Gonna go with Memphis. No way Buffalo and Detroit escape long Canadian arms, and nobody ever expects the Bakersfield inquisition, except me. ... missing an iAquaintance, I am.

Gonna go with Memphis. No way Buffalo and Detroit escape long Canadian arms, and nobody ever expects the Bakersfield inquisition, except me. ... missing an iAquaintance, I am.

At some point I'll tally up and post the official guesses on this contest. Haven't even made it through tabulating artists yet, though.

Ratt!!

------
------
------
Arrgh, I missed Ratt being picked. My attention deficiency is real. Unconditional love assigned.

Same, I had picked a Ratt song in the original US thread and I remembered thinking "okay, I'll put that song in this thread." Ah well.

I'm not a pimp for for YouTube Music vs Spotify, but I love that I can like a YouTube video and it shows up on my favorites' list immediately. My 7:45 am drive to work is occasionally surprisingly awesome.

ETA: Officially dead. different version of Extraordinary Love.

sorry

Last edited:
Three-Point Selections:

Just Win Baby:

Lunatic Fringe - Red Rider (American and English band members)
(new artist)

Andy Dufresne:

Forgotten Years - Midnight Oil
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

No One Like You - Scorpions (Germany)
(new artist)

New Binky the Doormat:

What You Need - INXS - Australian band
(new artist, but see below for second song today)

Eephus:

Original Sin - INXS
(second song from this new artist today)

westerberg:

Synchronicity II - The Police
(new song)
Faves of the known to me.

Lunatic Fringe was close to making my top 31. I may have had a very difficult time narrowing down my INXS and Midnight Oil picks and all of these were possibly in the running.

The Scorpions bring me back to 8th grade, in a good way.

And Synchronicity II is just a great song.

They are a badass Swedish stoner/desert rock kinda deal
I’ll take “descriptions you never hear” for $500, Alex.
To me, this means the "swedish desert rock" part is odd, as the desert rock scene was mostly birthed in the Palm Desert in Cali. Think Kyuss, and Yawning Man.

The cool thing about music scenes is they influence others from far away lands and morph into other things.

The Dreaded Marco:

A Postcard To Nina - Jens Lekman
(new artist)
Really like this one. So much fun.
The Dreaded Marco:

A Postcard To Nina - Jens Lekman
(new artist)

Is this supposed to be funny? Because I think the lyrics are funny.

krista4:
Then I got to the one-two punch POW-POW of Jens Lekman's "A Postcard to Nina" and The Pack a.d.'s "Everyone Looks Like Everyone." Big hearts for each of these, with the former being sweet and clever and (yes, Pip, I thought) funny

New to Me Favorites

A Postcard To Nina - Jens Lekman (The Dreaded Marco) - 30 seconds in, I was ready to hit skip. 90 seconds in, I was like "wait, I really like this." Song's over and I hit the back button to listen again.
This really is a funny, sweet and clever song that may grow on you. The entire album is similar but this my favorite.

Three-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson (feat. Bruno Mars) (UK/US)

(both new artists)

DrIanMalcolm:

Wombo Lombo - Angelique Kidjo (Benin)

(new artist)
JMLs secret identity:

Something - Lasgo - Belgium

(new artist)
otb_lifer:

Little Green Bag - George Baker Selection (Netherlands)

(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:
Every 1's A Winner - Hot Chocolate - Trinidad and Tobago

(new artist)

Doug B:

I Beg Your Pardon - Kon Kan

(new artist)

zamboni:

Leash Called Love - The Sugarcubes (Iceland)

(new artist)
Oliver Humanzee:

Zawal - Tinariwen (feat. Warren Ellis, Nour Mint Seymali, Jeiche Ould Chighaly)

(all four new artists)
Heres what i will talk about today. In order
On the point of Uptown Funk being one of the two most known track from the 10s. I would like to add Bad Romance and Blinding Lights to the list. Uptown Funk is killer though

Thanks to Drian for Kidjo. Im not going to spoil due to management lol

As for Lasgo, I was surprised that this track made the top 40 in the US. It went top 4 in the UK and the thing that sets it out from the normal euro dance music is the impassioned vocals. Belgium was a tricky country. Yeah there was low hanging fruit in Plastic Betrand, but i wanted something different.

You dont know how close i came to picking Little Green Bag. Such an awesome track. Might see a dutch track soon from me

I really had a tough time picking a Hot Chocolate song. There are other Trinidadian and Tobogany artists, but Hot Chocolate were such an oddity in the 70s, but a great oddity.

Surpisingly a lot written about I Beg Your Pardon today. I am impressed. It would have been my choice, except a certain drummer from one of my favourite bands happened to be Canadian. I may be the only person to buy the third Kon Kan album which has a cover of Moonage Daydream

Iceland has a few artists to choose from, but to me it always has to be the Sugarcubes. Surprised at the track chosen, but typical Bjork eccenticities abound.

Wonder how many Tinariwen tracks we will see

Three-Point Selections

shuke:

Headsick - July Talk …...........Canadian
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

Everyone Looks Like Everyone - The Pack A.D. - Canada
(new artist)

titusbramble:

Odyssey To Anyoona - Jam & Spoon (German)
(new artist)

krista4:

Pink Frost - The Chills (New Zealand/UK)
(new artist)

simey:

Funny Thing - The Vines (Australia)
(new artist)

Doug B:

I Beg Your Pardon - Kon Kan (not new to me as soon as it started playing)
These are my favorite 3's that I hadn't heard or didn't remember hearing before. Bernard Sumner must be in Kon Kan, right?

Sorry all, but any time there's a Tool contribution it instantly becomes a battle for 2nd place. Although KP should've included Parabola's companion Parabol with his submission no matter what MANAGEMENT has to say.
I will be honest - I didn't know protocol for this, and did think about trying to sneak in Parabol.

As to the bolded, what happens when there are TWO Tool songs picked in a day?

Sorry all, but any time there's a Tool contribution it instantly becomes a battle for 2nd place. Although KP should've included Parabola's companion Parabol with his submission no matter what MANAGEMENT has to say.
I will be honest - I didn't know protocol for this, and did think about trying to sneak in Parabol.

As to the bolded, what happens when there are TWO Tool songs picked in a day?
Then your ears and mine are the winners.

I will admit - today's selection by me isn't exactly one of my top favorites by the band, but it just seemed like a song that I "had" to include.

Users who are viewing this thread