What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (4 Viewers)

btw ... were there any of that lot who were more ubiquitous than ol' Tom Kennedy?

seems like he hosted (or guest hosted) damn near all of 'em at one time or another - no s***, he were the Curt Gowdy of 70s game shows.

(which would prolly make Bert Convy the Frank Gifford of such)
Yeah...Bill Cullen

dayyummm ... now that's legit Goodson/Todman royalty - if Kennedy were Gowdy, then Cullen were Keith Jackson, with a side of Chris Schenkel for good measure.

Known Favorites

Incubus Succubus II - Xmal Deutschland (otb_lifer) - scorchy (and Fairuza Balk) approved.

ya know, were a spell there in the late 80s where i pretty much ran thru every Lydia Deetz wannabe in the tri-state area ... and life were grand, didn't think it could get any better ...

... then Nancy Downs hit the scene, and, man, was i proven wrong - definitely got grander!

PS - still with a Nancy, 18 yrs and one daughter later
🖤❤️🖤❤️

Fifteen-Point Selections:

timschochet:

African Sky Blue - Juluka (South Africa)
(new artist)

Just Win Baby:

Crossroads - Derek And The Dominos (American and English band members)
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

Feels Like We Only Go Backwards - Tame Impala (Australia)
(duplicate, second vote)

Andy Dufresne:

Love Somebody - Rick Springfield
(new artist)

DrIanMalcolm:

Unchained - Van Halen (US/Netherlands)
(new song)

Don Quixote:

Oye Como Va - Santana (Mexico/US/Nicaragua — Carlos Santana (Mexico), Jose Davila (Nicaragua), others US)
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Emmylou - First Aid Kit (Sweden)
(duplicate, fourth vote)

scorchy:

Avant Gardener - Courtney Barnett (Australia)
(new song)

shuke:

Take The Long Way Home - Supertramp …...........English band but Bob Siebenberg is American
(duplicate, second vote)

Sullie:

Rock N Roll Duty - Kim Mitchell (I'm pretty sure men with girls names were banned in the first two lists.)
(new artist)

The Dreaded Marco:

It's Gonna Take An Airplane - Destroyer
(new song)

Mister CIA:

Come Into My Sleep - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Australia)
(new song)

Hawks64:

Brian Wilson (live) - Barenaked Ladies
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

I Touch Myself - Divinyls (Australia)
(duplicate, second vote)

titusbramble:

Feuer Frei - Rammstein (German)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

Gone - The Black Crowes
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Green Light - Lorde
(new song)

worrierking:

Hand Of Law - Radio Birdman (Australia/Canada/US)
(new song)

Val Rannous:

Heartless Scat - Ningen Isu (Japan)
(new artist)

krista4:

Spring Rain - The Go-Betweens (Australia)
(new song)

Mt. Man:

Limelight - Rush (Canadian band)
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:

Agolo - Angelique Kidjo (Benin)
(new song)

otb_lifer:

Jesus Where's The Sugar - Christian Death (Valor Kand - Australia)
(new artist)

simey:

#1 Crush - Garbage (USA, Scotland)
(new song)

rockaction:

Wet Hair - Japandroids (Canada)
(new artist)

New Binky the Doormat:

Hate To Say I Told You So - The Hives (Swedish band)
(duplicate, second vote)

landryshat:

Valley - John Butler Trio (Australia)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Don't Bother - Shakira (Columbia)
(new song)

MAC_32:

Out Ta Get Me - Guns N’ Roses (Slash)
(new song)

jwb:

Rock ‘N’ Roll Woman - Buffalo Springfield
(duplicate, second vote)

Eephus:

Artists Only - Talking Heads
(new song)

Hov34:

Grant Green - Mr Jukes, Charles Bradley
(both new artists, neither of them is Charles Barkley)

Manster:

The Pot - Tool
(new song, but two votes today!)

simsarge:

Don't Get Me Wrong - The Pretenders (Easily the most toe tappingest Pretenders song. Undoubtedly someone will have already posted her marriage woes, so I'll pass.)
(new song)

ditkaburgers:

Peru (Acoustic) - Fireboy DML and Ed Sheeran
(both new artists)

Doug B:

I Love It When You Call Me Names - Joan Armatrading
(new song)

westerberg:

Vitamin C - CAN
(new song)

KarmaPolice:

The Pot - Tool
(second vote today!)

higgins:

Third Wind - Pat Metheny Group (Armando Marçal born in Brazil)
(new artist)

zamboni:

Hejira - Joni Mitchell (Canada)
(new song)

Zegras11:

Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five - Wings
(duplicate, second vote)

Oliver Humanzee:

Fisherman - The Congos
(new artist)

Chaos34:

Ghost Town - The Specials
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Need You Tonight - INXS
(new song)

Last edited:

but one of my favorite OH-isms was when he was hopping mad about the Rush documentary because it made him like them as people. :lol:
Such a great documentary. Unlike OH, I was a huge Rush fan in HS and early college. Once on a drive from Gainesville back home to MD for Xmas break, I listened to all 17 (at the time) Rush albums in chronological order (obviously I didn't have a female passenger with me). Then for some reason, I started to find them ridiculous and unlistenable. Watching the documentary helped me fall for them again, much to my wife's chagrin.
I like Rush, especially the albums Moving Pictures and Exit...Stage Left, but I wouldn't want to listen to them past the two hour mark. That's max for me, before they start getting on my nerves. If I had to hear them from Florida to Maryland, it would bring my car sickness to a whole new level.

Last edited:
In retrospect I think I find have taken a different Rick Sprinfield song. But I really do like Love Somebody.
Affair of the Heart was under consideration for me.

The guy was pshawed by most guys for being too mamby pamby, but we were all just jealous of his looks. He wrote some really good hooks and is an excellent guitar player. He had an early more rocking career in the early ‘70s before getting his famous stint on General Hospital and then reigniting his music career.

My mom called me about an hour ago, and she told me she was taking a walk and fell. She said she was looking forward and stepped in a pothole, and flew about six feet forward. She said she landed on her face, and it was bleeding like a sieve. She said as was sitting in the road bleeding, a car went by and didn't stop to help her. What's wrong with people? Anyway, she called my dad, and he got her, and they are waiting in the walk-in clinic to see if her forehead needs stitches. She cut her nose, but she doesn't think it is broken. She said she is going to start walking at the YMCA again instead of in the neighborhood. I'm waiting to hear back from her. It was just last week she told me she always carries her phone with her when she walks incase she falls.

but one of my favorite OH-isms was when he was hopping mad about the Rush documentary because it made him like them as people. :lol:
Such a great documentary. Unlike OH, I was a huge Rush fan in HS and early college. Once on a drive from Gainesville back home to MD for Xmas break, I listened to all 17 (at the time) Rush albums in chronological order (obviously I didn't have a female passenger with me). Then for some reason, I started to find them ridiculous and unlistenable. Watching the documentary helped me fall for them again, much to my wife's chagrin.
I like Rush, especially the albums Moving Pictures and Exit...Stage Left, but I wouldn't want to listen to them past the two hour mark. That's max for me, before they start getting on my nerves. If I had to hear them from Florida to Maryland, it would be bring my car sickness to a whole new level.
Basically Scorchy OD’d on Rush. If you drank so much gin that you ended up in the hospital with alcohol poisoning, how long would it take before you drank gin again?

My mom called me about an hour ago, and she told me she was taking a walk and fell. She said she was looking forward and stepped in a pothole, and flew about six feet forward. She said she landed on her face, and it was bleeding like a sieve. She said as was sitting in the road bleeding, a car went by and didn't stop to help her. What's wrong with people? Anyway, she called my dad, and he got her, and they are waiting in the walk-in clinic to see if her forehead needs stitches. She cut her nose, but she doesn't think it is broken. She said she is going to start walking at the YMCA again instead of in the neighborhood. I'm waiting to hear back from her. It was just last week she told me she always carries her phone with her when she walks incase she falls.
Wow - I’m really sorry, simey. I hope everything is ok with your mom.

I like Rush, especially the albums Moving Pictures and Exit...Stage Left, but I wouldn't want to listen to them past the two hour mark. That's max for me, before they start getting on my nerves. If I had to hear them from Florida to Maryland, it would be bring my car sickness to a whole new level.
Basically Scorchy OD’d on Rush. If you drank so much gin that you ended up in the hospital with alcohol poisoning, how long would it take before you drank gin again?

me with SoCo

just the smell of it now can send me straight to convulsions.

Never is my answer. I drank a bunch of gin in college one night, and I puked my guts out later. I think I belched up the taste of pine needles for a week afterwards. I haven't touched that stuff since.

Wow - I’m really sorry, simey. I hope everything is ok with your mom.
She sounded in good spirits, but she is gonna be hurting. I asked her if she felt concussed, and she said she didn't. That doesn't mean she isn't.

Best wishes to your mom and family.

Oh no! Hope she's doing OK. Did she decide to fall on her face because my mom did the same a few weeks ago, and you and I lead parallel lives? Get well, mamasimey!

By the way, I got sick in college on gin and haven't had it since.

I just talked to her. She got 10 stitches on her forehead. 4 stitches on her hand. One stitch on her lip. The x-ray showed maybe a small piece of cartilage that may have broke off in her nose, but the Dr doesn't think it is broken, but will send her x-ray to a radiologist to confirm. One of her eyes has already turned black. She's still in good spirits.

I just talked to her. She got 10 stitches on her forehead. 4 stitches on her hand. One stitch on her lip. The x-ray showed maybe a small piece of cartilage that may have broke off in her nose, but the Dr doesn't think it is broken, but will send her x-ray to a radiologist to confirm. One of her eyes has already turned black. She's still in good spirits.
Damn, hope she recovers well.

Hope she recovers quickly!

Damn, hope she recovers well.
The Dr questioned her about a concussion, and she told the Dr that she has a slight headache, and he told her if it gets worse to go to the ER.

worrierking:

Hand Of Law - Radio Birdman (Australia/Canada/US)
(new song)

Radio Birdman has appeared before in this countdown. They were an Australian proto punk band (with an American and a Candian), who developed their own style of punkness, apart from the burgeoning scenes in London and New York. There was no real template for what punk was supposed to be, so they are very different than their contemporaries on the other continents. They played long songs with lots of guitars as opposed to the 2-minute minimalism of their fellow punks. This is my favorite, although I recommend also the previously chosen Murder City Nights and the brilliant take on the Hawaii Five-O theme called Aloha Steve and Danno. My avatar is their logo.

Pip’s Invitation:

(duplicate, second vote)

This is the newest-to-me song on my list. I was looking for things to fill out the psychedelic music playlist in GP4 and wanted to include something that wasn't from the "classic rock era." I did some Google searches along those lines and found this song, which I loved instantly. I had never heard of Tame Impala before, as they emerged around the time I became a parent and completely stopped keeping up with new music. But the song has the same mix of melodicism and freakiness that could be found in the poppier side of '60s psychedelia. And yes, the Beatles influence is certainly apparent.

As it so happened, a few weeks after I made my pick for GP4, my wife's cousin held a family gathering in a park to celebrate her son's second (?) birthday. She and her husband had a playlist going, and it was entirely from the "classic rock era" -- except this song.

I'm checking tomorrow's picks...think I mentioned somewhere along the way that there were a couple of songs that were selected in a prior countdown that would also be selected here. Tomorrow we get one of them, and it was chosen by the same drafter! :)

Just Win Baby:

Crossroads - Derek And The Dominos (American and English band members)
(new song)

Just Win Baby also took the Cream version for the British Isles countdown. I guess he likes this song.

:yes:

Hope simey mom recovers quickly!

Pip’s Invitation:

(duplicate, second vote)

This is the newest-to-me song on my list. I was looking for things to fill out the psychedelic music playlist in GP4 and wanted to include something that wasn't from the "classic rock era." I did some Google searches along those lines and found this song, which I loved instantly. I had never heard of Tame Impala before, as they emerged around the time I became a parent and completely stopped keeping up with new music. But the song has the same mix of melodicism and freakiness that could be found in the poppier side of '60s psychedelia. And yes, the Beatles influence is certainly apparent.

As it so happened, a few weeks after I made my pick for GP4, my wife's cousin held a family gathering in a park to celebrate her son's second (?) birthday. She and her husband had a playlist going, and it was entirely from the "classic rock era" -- except this song.

btw ... :hifive:

In addition to being influenced by him, Todd Rundgren also contributed a remix of the first single, "Elephant", and Tame Impala added a cover of Rundgren's song "International Feel" to their setlist.

Tame Impala - International Feel

I knew 19 songs today not including my own but counting repeats.

Known-to-me favorites from #17:

Rock and Roll Woman — Buffalo Springfield (jwb)
Limelight -- Rush (Mt. Man)
Oye Como Va -- Santana (Don Quixote)
Unchained -- Van Halen (DrIanMalcolm). All the VH songs taken so far are probably in my top 10 of theirs.
Take the Long Way Home -- Supertramp (Shuke)
Nineteen Hundred Eighty-Five -- Wings (Zegras11)
Ghost Town -- The Specials (Chaos34). Haunts me every time I hear it. Pun sort of intended.
Brian Wilson (live) -- Barenaked Ladies (Hawks64). My #1 BNL. I took it for the "Meta" playlist in GP4.
Artists Only -- Talking Heads (Eephus). I second the comments about the TNOTBITH version.
Hejira -- Joni Mitchell (Zamboni)
Don't Get Me Wrong -- The Pretenders (Simsarge)

Users who are viewing this thread