What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

I Love It When You Call Me Names - Joan Armatrading (Doug B) - Same story for Joan Armatrading - had heard the name forever but couldn't have told you anything about her. I'm enamored
For a LONG time I thought Joan Armatrading was kind of an island-vibe artist, drawing from calypso and reggae. Had no idea that she rocked like that.

Then here (starts at 15:48) she strips “Names” down to just her and her acoustic six-string. She improvs some of the lyrics and channels Peter Green quite a bit in the coda.

I Love It When You Call Me Names - Joan Armatrading (Doug B) - Same story for Joan Armatrading - had heard the name forever but couldn't have told you anything about her. I'm enamored
For a LONG time I thought Joan Armatrading was kind of an island-vibe artist, drawing from calypso and reggae. Had no idea that she rocked like that.

Then here (starts at 15:48) she strips “Names” down to just her and her acoustic six-string. She improvs some of the lyrics and channels Peter Green quite a bit in the coda.

She's wonderful. She's another artist with so many great songs that it's hard to choose a favorite.

I was gonna return the favor and ask if someone had banned Shirley Manson from your house, but then I got to thinking... If someone had ever banned Shirley from my house, it would have been me, and I would have done it out of jealousy, because Mrs. Scorchy might leave me for her. My usually restrained wife melts whenever we see Garbage, and it Maybe she was just having a bad day but Mrs. Eephus is still mad about having to bump her scooter up a ramp for
Maybe she was just having a bad day but Mrs. Eephus is still mad about having to bump her scooter up a ramp for nothing.
That's uncool but also unsurprising. I mean, she did take a crap in her ex-bf's cornflakes after all.

I’m not expecting too much Rush around the midpoint of these lists. My guess is that what was chosen but yet to be revealed is quite higher. We’ll see, though. Anyway, Limelight. What can I say? That simple driving beat, that guitar work, and some lyrics that hit close to heart. So to speak.

#17s
Recognized by title alone: 16
Sounded familiar: 3
Knew from this countdown: 2
Didn't know: 21

Special Shout-Out: Crossroads (Just Win Baby). I’m at… some kind of dividing point here. I can’t remember which category I put this in the UK countdown, but certainly I know the song by now. Eh, I won’t fuss about it too much. Just a curiosity, though.

Selected Favorites:
Unchained (DrIanMalcolm) - Mostly just a raw, vibrant song. The “One break coming up” line gets me every time.
Brian Wilson (Hawks64) - Would’ve been my Barenaked Ladies song
Don’t Get Me Wrong (simsarge)
Ghost Town (Chaos34)

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Hand Of Law (worrierking)
Valley (landryshat)
Grant Green (Hov34)
Third Wind (higgins)

Dig The Vibe: Heartless Scat (Val Rannous)

Misc. comments:
The Pot (Manster and KarmaPolice) - :potkettle:

Need You Tonight (INXS) - Certainly they're different songs, but it is just me that (probably thanks to the video) mentally expects Mediate to start right after Need You Tonight?

Just making an observation here just to see if I'm on an island, but based on my personal tastes, today was by far the weakest round, of any of these countdowns to date. Maybe because I was in a horrible mood today, and I listened to the playlist at the gym and I really didn't want to be there.

My mom called me about an hour ago, and she told me she was taking a walk and fell. She said she was looking forward and stepped in a pothole, and flew about six feet forward. She said she landed on her face, and it was bleeding like a sieve. She said as was sitting in the road bleeding, a car went by and didn't stop to help her. What's wrong with people? Anyway, she called my dad, and he got her, and they are waiting in the walk-in clinic to see if her forehead needs stitches. She cut her nose, but she doesn't think it is broken. She said she is going to start walking at the YMCA again instead of in the neighborhood. I'm waiting to hear back from her. It was just last week she told me she always carries her phone with her when she walks incase she falls.

Scary stuff, hope she's ok. My dad had a fall out walking last year and got a concussion. Luckily someone stopped and called an ambulance.

ditkaburgers:

Peru (Acoustic) - Fireboy DML and Ed Sheeran
(both new artists)

I didn't know @ditkaburgers was so into Reggaeton because here's another song with those beats. She used to be a big Ed Sheeran fan but now she says she prefers his collaborations to his own current Pop styles. Sheeran has always done a lot of featured appearances on songs by Grime and R&B artists which is a win-win in terms of exposure. He does the lion's share of the vocals on this track.

IM ears stand up like a dog hearing his or her name when a song mentions San Francisco. "Peru" contains a shout out as did the Nick Cave song from the other day.

Eephus:

Artists Only - Talking Heads
(new song)

Talking Heads have so many countdown worthy songs. "Artists Only" leads off side two of their second album More Songs About Buildings and Food which is one of the best Talking Heads album sides. It was their first record produced by Eno who helped them discover their sound.

When I was in college we took a low budget spring break trip to Florida. One of my friends borrowed his parents' van so we traveled in relative style. The van had an 8-track player but we only had four 8-tracks for the trip. This album was one of them.

Just making an observation here just to see if I'm on an island, but based on my personal tastes, today was by far the weakest round, of any of these countdowns to date. Maybe because I was in a horrible mood today, and I listened to the playlist at the gym and I really didn't want to be there.

I'm a couple days behind but have wondered the same in terms of my reactions to daily playlists, whether it might depend upon mood.

Fifteen-Point Selections:

titusbramble:

Feuer Frei - Rammstein (German)
(new artist)

worrierking:

2-Hand Of Law - Radio Birdman (Australia/Canada/US)
(new song)
krista4:

3-Spring Rain - The Go-Betweens (Australia)
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:
4-
Agolo - Angelique Kidjo (Benin)
(new song)

simey:

5-#1 Crush - Garbage (USA, Scotland)
(new song)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

6-Don't Bother - Shakira (Columbia)
(new song)

Doug B:

7-I Love It When You Call Me Names - Joan Armatrading
(new song)

westerberg:

8-Vitamin C - CAN
(new song)

Zegras11:

9-Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five - Wings
(duplicate, second vote)

Oliver Humanzee:

10-Fisherman - The Congos
(new artist)

Chaos34:

11-Ghost Town - The Specials
(new song)
Todays relatively spoiler free rundown. Cant believe we are at the halfway point tomorrow, just as my lists gather steam

1- Now we are cooking. I did a thread on here a long time ago and listed my top 10 songs of the 00s and this was on it. I know mad german is a tautology, but these guys are really off their trolley. Germany was pretty stacked as far as choice goes, but i would have loved to include something, probably this one, from them

2- Surprised to see multiple Radio Birdman tracks and a) No aloha steve and danno and b) they are fairly anonymous even in australia. No single charted and the album reached #51. It was also a ghost town in the 1977 thread when i had a Radio Birdman number

3- Interesting to see Spring Rain chosen. Only 2 Go Betweens songs made the top 100 in Australia, this and Streets of Your Town. Both video clips heavily feature 1980s Brisbane, where I used to go on holidays as a late teen, early 20 year old.

4- Thanks for the assist on this one. I had heard the name Angelique Kidjo, but didnt know where she was from. Adding her here was a good choice, this is a good song and she is very talented

5 - The debut Garbage album was one of my faves from the 90s and they followed up with a couple more good ones. Shirley Manson is crazy, even for a Scottish person. The poo in cornflakes was just one of the ones ive heard. Being a woman in this industry is never easy, but one that can scare guys is at an advantage

6- This may not be everyones favorite Shakira track, but its mine. Hey @Mister CIA The song itself is pretty good, but the video is better than any adult feature for me. We have a shower scene, multiple feet shots and plenty of shakira lookin smokin.

7- Geez, i draft a Joan Armatrading song and bubkus, @Doug B does and the earth stops. J/K. I almost picked this one myself, but it was only a hit in Australia and ****ing New Zealand. It was the follow up to her best performing hit in the UK, the up tempo Drop the Pilot. I prefer her more introspective songs, but this is pretty damn good.

8- Ive always enjoyed Can more in theory than in practicality. Yes they have great songs and albums, but they dont burn the heart bright like Kraftwerk does. An unfair comparison for sure, but they rightly should be competitors and compatriots. This song is clearly one of their best. Thoroughly enjoyable.

9- This song seems incredibly popular in these circles and i cant recall hearing it. Lets play this mutha. What, no bagpipes? The travesty. Put it on. I havent heard this before. Interesting. Doesnt sound like the usual Paul stuff, much more dramatic and intense.

10- i took this in the 1977 part 2 rundown with an assist from @Don Quixote . Never expected it to see it busted out here

11- The Specials were always seen as the serious side of Ska/2 Tone. Didnt realise Jarry Dammers was born in India. Another option dammit, although his father was a high ranking member of the Anglican clergy and was posted to India, among other places. No idea about his mothers info, so i got no idea if india would have been acceptable. Doesnt matter now i guess, but Free Nelson Mandela would have been a great choice.

6- This may not be everyones favorite Shakira track, but its mine. Hey @Mister CIA The song itself is pretty good, but the video is better than any adult feature for me. We have a shower scene, multiple feet shots and plenty of shakira lookin smokin.
I was struggling with the reference, but now I remember our conversation about Colombian Latinas. I went a different direction yet to be revealed.

I'm a couple days behind but have wondered the same in terms of my reactions to daily playlists, whether it might depend upon mood.
It does. There's some good music I've probably missed because I've been too distracted with real life nonsense. I hit pause about halfway through the 13's yesterday (I'm a it behind) and decided to restart today cause I just wasn't listening.

I won't point out the other song yet (unless Krista approves, chance of spotlighting, you know), but it was just as cool and creepy as advertised.

Go for it.

Cool. Weird old Japanese dude Cthulhu rock, take 2:

(Song is based on an HP Lovecraft short story, so it really is "Cthulhu Rock". If you watch this, make sure to hang until the bass player starts singing for the full creepy factor.)
These guys have a pretty detailed Wikipedia page, well worth reading just for the song title translations.

I won't point out the other song yet (unless Krista approves, chance of spotlighting, you know), but it was just as cool and creepy as advertised.

Go for it.

(Song is based on an HP Lovecraft short story, so it really is "Cthulhu Rock". If you watch this, make sure to hang until the bass player starts singing for the full creepy factor.)
These guys have a pretty detailed Wikipedia page, well worth reading just for the song title translations.

桜の森の満開の下 is the bomb (pun unintended).

I actually thought another more popular Japanese heavy metal band would be picked first, but we'll see.

Go for it.

[URL

unfurl="true"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JY89ZxVqEg[/URL]

I actually thought another more popular Japanese heavy metal band would be picked first, but we'll see.

G.I.S.M. down?

:shrug:

Go for it.

[URL

G.I.S.M. down?

Sure hope so.

Go for it.

[URL

G.I.S.M. down?

Sure hope so.

ok ... between this and me heartless scat comment earlier, im'ma see myself out.

pussyfooter

In retrospect I think I find have taken a different Rick Sprinfield song. But I really do like Love Somebody.
Affair of the Heart was under consideration for me.

The guy was pshawed by most guys for being too mamby pamby, but we were all just jealous of his looks. He wrote some really good hooks and is an excellent guitar player. He had an early more rocking career in the early ‘70s before getting his famous stint on General Hospital and then reigniting his music career.

One of those guys who has more "songs you know" than you think.

In retrospect I think I find have taken a different Rick Sprinfield song. But I really do like Love Somebody.

The guy was pshawed by most guys for being too mamby pamby, but we were all just jealous of his looks. He wrote some really good hooks and is an excellent guitar player. He had an early more rocking career in the early ‘70s before getting his famous stint on General Hospital and then reigniting his music career.

Nick Drake > Dr. Noah Drake > Drake

A few known favorites from yesterday's list excluding songs from past list.

Unchained - Another intro that I love by them.
Limelight - My favorite Rush song.
Spring Rain - 🌦️ 🌷
Need You Tonight - This song reminds me of college.
Oye Como Va - They always had great musicians in the band.
Valley - I saw them several years ago with The Waifs.
Crossroads - I like this slowed down live version.

A few unknown favorites

Hand of Law
It's Gonna Take An Airplane
Avant Gardener
Brian Wilson - I think I've heard this before.
Grant Green
(I Love it When You) Call Me Names
Rock N Roll Duty - This kinda reminds me of KISS
Wet Hair - My favorite part of this song is the 🥁
Come Into My Sleep - I've never heard this one by Nick Cave

A few known favorites from yesterday's list excluding songs from past list.

Unchained - Another intro that I love by them.
Limelight - My favorite Rush song.
Spring Rain - 🌦️ 🌷
Need You Tonight - This song reminds me of college.
Oye Como Va - They always had great musicians in the band.
Valley - I saw them several years ago with The Waifs.
Crossroads - I like this slowed down live version.

A few unknown favorites

Hand of Law
It's Gonna Take An Airplane
Avant Gardener
Brian Wilson - I think I've heard this before.
Grant Green
(I Love it When You) Call Me Names
Rock N Roll Duty - This kinda reminds me of KISS
Wet Hair - My favorite part of this song is the 🥁
Come Into My Sleep - I've never heard this one by Nick Cave
How's Mama simey doing?

Nathan Drake >> Nick Drake > Dr. Noah Drake > Drake

Are we free to discuss Rick Springfield @krista4?

I agree on both fronts - your mood will dictate how enaged you are. Yesterday's (just catching up now) was not so much weak, but it was easily them most "unknown" to me of all three drafts. This can be good but it takes a little deeper/more involved listening.

How's Mama simey doing?
I talked to her this morning, and she said she feels like she has been run over by a truck. Last night I saw her, and she looked like she had been on the losing end of a fight. I guess she was with the pavement. Her eye that is black around it was almost completely swollen shut. Even though she looks a mess, she said she is getting her nails done today.

I thought we discussed him in depth yesterday.

I thought we discussed him in depth yesterday.
I meant more of his catalog. If no other songs are upcoming for an artist then we're okay to discuss more music from that artist immediately.

I was gonna return the favor and ask if someone had banned Shirley Manson from your house, but then I got to thinking... If someone had ever banned Shirley from my house, it would have been me, and I would have done it out of jealousy, because Mrs. Scorchy might leave me for her. My usually restrained wife melts whenever we see Garbage, and it ain't because of Butch Vig.

Mrs. Eephus can't stand Shirley Manson.

It goes back a few years when John & Exene were the opener for the Bay Area stop on the Blondie and Garbage summer shed tour. Exene put us on her guest list which came with a VIP pass for a meet and greet with Garbage. Unlike most meet and greets which are pre-show, this one took place during the set change between Garbage and Blondie.

It was the summer of 2017, the year Mrs. E tore her Achilles so she was still getting around using a knee scooter. Because of this we were debating skipping the meet and greet but Butch and Doug from Garbage used to be in the band Spooner who were local heroes when I was going to college in Madison so I thought it would be fun to talk about the old days. So between bands we headed backstage to the VIP area which was kind of a pain to maneuver with a knee scooter. It took a while for the band to come out. The guys were OK although the meet and greet wasn't organized at all. Manson came through the stage door, talked to someone who appeared to be her personal assistant for a minute or two and then disappeared. By then, Blondie was about to go on so we left.

A lot of legacy artists do a good job with fan service nowadays. People who come out to your shows everytime you tour are valuable and shouldn't be taken lightly. We didn't pay anything for our tickets so no loss to us but most of the people waiting for Shirley paid extra to be stood up. Maybe she was just having a bad day but Mrs. Eephus is still mad about having to bump her scooter up a ramp for nothing.
Wow that sucks. I met the band in the winter of 98 at a Harmony House( local record chain) pre concert meet and greet. I had no idea who Garbage was at the time,was just taking my buddy's younger sister there. She had them sign an album and I got a tour poster signed. Shirley looked so hot in a little black mini dress and red belt that I'm not sure words were even coming out of my mouth but she seemed very nice, lol.

I meant more of his catalog. If no other songs are upcoming for an artist then we're okay to discuss more music from that artist immediately.

Sorry for the delayed response. I had a 6:30 a.m. meeting this morning that just finished. It's gonna be that kind of day.

Rick Springfield is open for any and all discussion. Thanks for asking.

Thrilled to see several positive new exposures to Tool. They're the best of what emerged from my generation.
Tool was a game changer for sure. Maynard may not be the most interesting man in the world, but he's pretty damn interesting......A Perfect Circle is pretty awesome.....his other side project has grow on me as well.

Thrilled to see several positive new exposures to Tool. They're the best of what emerged from my generation.

One of those bands I'm pretty sure I'd like, and always meant to dig deeper on, but never have as of yet. Am going to rectify that. Happy that Spotify makes stuff like this easy.

Sixteen-Point Selections:

timschochet:

Turtle Dove - The Duhks (Canada)
(new artist)

Just Win Baby:

Telegraph Road - Dire Straits (American and English band members)
(new song)

Pip’s Invitation:

It Was There That I Saw You - ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead (US/UK)
(new artist)

Andy Dufresne:

Southern Cross - Crosby, Stills & Nash
(duplicate, second vote)

DrIanMalcolm:

Back In Black - AC/DC (Australia/UK)
(duplicate, third vote)

Don Quixote:

De Música Ligera - Soda Stereo (Argentina)
(new artist)

Dr. Octopus:

Twilight Zone - Golden Earring (Netherlands)
(duplicate, third vote)

scorchy:

Missed The Boat - Modest Mouse (U.S., UK)
(new artist)

shuke:

Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - The Jimi Hendrix Experience …...........American/English
(duplicate, third vote)

Sullie:

Easy Livin' - Fastway (Dave King is Irish)
(new artist)

The Dreaded Marco:

Only God Knows - Young Fathers
(new artist)

Mister CIA:

Dead Sound - The Raveonettes
(duplicate, second vote)

Hawks64:

Spreading The Disease - Queensryche
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

I Want You - Savage Garden (Australia)
(new artist)

titusbramble:

Hocus Pocus - Focus (Dutch)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

Cordelia - The Tragically Hip
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien - Edith Piaf
(new artist)

worrierking:

I'm Waiting For The Man - The Velvet Underground and Nico (US/Wales)
(new artist)

Val Rannous:

Fight The Good Fight - Triumph (Canada)
(duplicate, second vote)

krista4:

Hope There’s Someone - Antony And The Johnsons (Canada/France/Russia/US/UK)
(new artist)

Mt. Man:

No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature - The Guess Who (Canadian band)
(new song)

JMLs secret identity:

Burundi Black - Burundi Steiphenson Black (Burundi)
(new artist)

otb_lifer:

Kill City Kills - Hanoi Rocks (Finland)
(new song)

simey:

Bittersweet - Hoodoo Gurus (Australia)
(new artist)

rockaction:

Point And Kill - Little Simz (feat. Obongjayar) (U.K. and Nigeria)
(both new artists)

New Binky the Doormat:

Unchained - Van Halen (Eddie born in Amsterdam)
(duplicate, second vote)

landryshat:

99 Luftballons - Nena (Germany)
(duplicate, second vote)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

Giorgio By Moroder - Daft Punk (feat. Giorgio Moroder) (Italy)
(Daft Punk, new song; Giorgio Moroder, new artist)

MAC_32:

Devil's Dance Floor - Flogging Molly (Not as irish as I thought 2 months ago)
(new artist)

jwb:

Lights Out - UFO
(new artist)

Eephus:

Will The Wolf Survive? - Los Lobos
(new artist)

Hov34:

Run To Your Mama - Goat
(new artist)

Manster:

Turn The Lamp Down Low - The Tea Party
(new song)

simsarge:

Last Song - Edward (NOT the Cocaine) Bear (Other than Alone Again, Naturally and maybe Last Kiss, the saddest song ever (IMO))
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

That Don't Impress Me Much - Shania Twain
(new artist)

Doug B:

In A Big Country - Big Country
(new artist)

westerberg:

All My Friends - LCD Soundsystem
(duplicate, second vote)

KarmaPolice:

Heaven - Talking Heads
(new song)

higgins:

Pirates - String Cheese Incident (violinist/mandolinist born in South Korea)
(new artist)

zamboni:

The Dead Heart - Midnight Oil (Australia)
(new song)

Zegras11:

Bloody Well Right - Supertramp
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

Pressure Drop - Toots And The Maytals
(new artist)

Chaos34:

Buffalo Soldier - Bob Marley
(new song)

AAABatteries:

New York Mining Disaster 1941 - The Bee Gees
(new song)

Last edited:
Interesting. You think Tool is the best band of Gen X?
I think Tool changed the game. They are the anti-grunge....probably helped kill grunge, or at least made rock music morph into what was to come.....they are dark, progressive, and intelligent.

Users who are viewing this thread