What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (6 Viewers)

How we all doing? Whats good tonight?
Harissa shrimp, apparently.

Harissa shrimp and spinach with couscous. Very good. Lots of harissa to make it very spicy. Needs a little fat to cut through it, though. Recommended to OH that he bring home some crusty bread to dip in olive oil and eat with his portion.
I'm an amateur, but grits and butter might be useful.
Grits seem a bit duplicative of couscous, but I like where your head is. First I suggested crusty bread with butter, but then I thought olive oil in keeping with the MIddle-Eastern feel. He'll probably do butter.

Newly posted known favorites:
timschochet: Cowgirl In The Sand - Neil Young
Sullie: Dark Star - Crosby, Stills & Nash
The Dreaded Marco: Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) - Arcade Fire
Val Rannous: Hot For Teacher - Van Halen
Mt. Man: Panama - Van Halen
otb_lifer: Take Yor Whiskey Home - Van Halen
simey: Expecting To Fly - Buffalo Springfield
MAC_32: Little Talks - Of Monsters And Men
KarmaPolice: Meet Me In The Woods - Lord Huron
Zegras11: Rockin' In The Free World - Neil Young
Oliver Humanzee: Jailbreak - AC/DC - I think I missed this the first time it was posted.

Favorite new to me:
Mister CIA: Onstá la Yerbita - Los Destellos

Holy crap haven't heard in 30 years:
JMLs secret identity: Doctorin the Tardis - The Timelords

He did manage to get his schedule changed about a month ago to have Sunday/Monday off instead of Wed/Thurs, which will be good for watching football. I told his boss I wanted to hug him. Instead I bought his wife a plant.
Oh man, I partied HARRRRRRD in my Sunday/Moday day-off days.

Wed/Thurs sucked because my Friday was his Monday, and his Friday was my Tuesday. Yuck. Now that his schedule has changed, of course, all the good shows we want to go to seem to be on Thursdays! I guess it's OK since I'm banned from Ticketmaster anyway.
Sounds like a Marx Brothers bit

timschochet:

Cowgirl In The Sand - Neil Young
(new song)

What I said in my Neil countdown:

9. Cowgirl in the Sand (Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, 1969)
As he was making preparations for his second solo album, Neil was laid up in bed with the flu and a high fever. During this time, he composed this, as well as Cinnamon Girl, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and Down by the River. It has to have been the most productive fever ever contracted.
Rock and rollers had taken guitar noise to a different level starting in 1967, but Neil went even further afield on this song. His lead runs are angry and yet melodic. It wasn't much like what the blues-influenced guitar virtuosos were doing at the time, and it was a different approach to the sonic wallop from what Jimi Hendrix was doing, but it captured something innovative and magical. Some writers have compared Neil's guitar work on this and Down by the River to free jazz; I know not nearly enough about music theory to comment on that.
I actually first encountered this as an acoustic song. It appears on the acoustic disc of CSNY's Four Way Street, which I heard often when I was young, and I had no idea this was an extended electric jam until I sought out FM radio as a tween.
The lyrics make some interesting points about the dilemmas regarding sexual freedom that were hotly debated at the time, but some of the lines have dated badly, to say the least. That may be a reason why this song is here and its companion is where it is.

simey:

Expecting To Fly - Buffalo Springfield (USA, Canada)
(new song)

What I said in my Neil countdown:

33. Expecting to Fly (Buffalo Springfield Again, 1967)
I'm generally not a fan of Neil-with-strings, but this is the exception. Neil and Jack Nitzsche created a lush, dreamy soundscape that plays tricks on your mind. Like "Birds," this is a breakup song, but one that wallows more in the narrator's own feelings, as befits the head-trip of the arrangement. The stark live versions are equally gorgeous in their own way.
Speaking of breaking up, by 1967 Neil was already growing estranged from the Springfield. Depending on which source you believe, no other members played on this track, or only Richie Furay appears, singing harmony. There are a ton of voices mixed together, so who can really tell.
Like Broken Arrow, this is another song that wouldn't sound like it does if not for what the Beatles did in 1967.

Zegras11:

Rockin' In The Free World - Neil Young
(new song)

What I said in my Neil countdown (warning: long):

2. Rockin' in the Free World (Freedom, 1989)
The date was September 30, 1989. I was a freshman in college. After an evening of drinking, I headed to one of the common areas with a TV near my room to catch Saturday Night Live with host Bruce Willis and musical guest Neil Young. I don't even remember if I tuned in because Neil was scheduled to be on; I had his most famous albums in my collection thanks to exposure from my parents and what we now call classic rock radio, but I hadn't paid much attention to his recent work because it seemed weird and, until the This Note's for You video made waves, was dismissed in the media as irrelevant. In the past 7 years, he'd experimented with vocoders, rockabilly, country, synth-driven "modern rock" and blues, often adopting a new persona with each new album, so I had no idea what gimmick he was going to bring this time.

This time, he was Neil Young. The guy who made all those songs from the '60s and '70s that I fell in love with. Dressed in casual clothes, with Old Black strapped in and a configuration of backing musicians that were only together for this one night (Frank "Poncho" Sampedro from Crazy Horse and Steve Jordan and Charlie Drayton from Keith Richards' X-Pensive Winos).

The whole Godfather of Grunge rebirth thing? It started on that night, with this song.

Neil launched into the first notes of this new song and my intoxicated mind was blown. He was back. The guy that created Cinnamon Girl, Down by the River, Cortez the Killer, Like a Hurricane and side 2 of Rust Never Sleeps was back with something that was every bit as good as those songs. Playing with unbelievable power and passion, Neil jumped around the stage like a madman, creating a live-from-a-war-zone feel as the cameras desperately tried to follow him. (I later learned that this was because he had refused to participate in blocking sessions, so the director and camera operators had no idea where he was going to be from second to second. This probably explains why Neil's only subsequent appearances on SNL occurred when he was promoting an acoustic album). The rock was fierce and the song was instantly memorable. "Keep on rockin' in the free world" from the getgo was every bit as much an anthem as "Hey hey, my my, rock and roll will never die."

Neil's second performance on that show was also amazing (there was more on that in entry #14), and after everything was over, I left literally shaking with excitement. I had to let people know that Neil was back.

As soon as I got back to my dorm room (this was about 1 AM), I felt the need to call a high school buddy to triumphantly announce Neil's renaissance to him. The problem was, I was still intoxicated and the dorm rooms had rotary phones (remember those?) The alcohol prevented me from remembering his number correctly (remember when we had to remember phone numbers?) and from getting my fingers to dial the phone correctly. When I finally connected with him after 2 AM, the call went something like this:

Me: He's back!
Him: What?
Me: Neil is back!
Him: Oh my God! What is wrong with you? Go to bed!

That was the immediate impact Rockin' in the Free World made on me. The reaction from others was less idiotic but equally favorable. FM radio put the song in heavy rotation as soon as it was made available, the Freedom album received rave reviews upon its release soon after the SNL appearance, and the song quickly joined the ranks of Neil's most iconic. A year and a half later when I saw Neil for the first time on the Weld tour, his first national electric tour since the release of Freedom and Ragged Glory, there were high school kids in front of us who had come just to hear this song live. They sat for the whole show but stood up and pumped their fists when Neil closed the regular set with it. It was cemented in the Gen-X pantheon when Neil performed it with Pearl Jam at the 1993 MTV Music Awards.

Borrowing a device Neil used on Rust Never Sleeps (see entry #6), an acoustic version of Rockin' in the Free World (recorded live at Jones Beach on his summer 1989 solo tour) opens Freedom and the searing studio electric version closes it. This was a sign that Neil considered the song to be every bit as important as his young Gen-X fans did. It has received prominent placement in setlists of almost every electric tour since 1991 and is his only song released after 1979 that is in the top 10 of known live performances. Even CSNY adopted it for the baby boomers; it was the set closer or encore at all three of their shows I saw.

Despite its status as an anthem, Rockin' in the Free World may be the most misinterpreted rock song this side of Born in the USA. Neil came up with the title as a lark (when informed a tour of the Soviet Union was being cancelled, Sampedro told Neil, "guess we'll have to keep on rockin' in the free world") and fleshed out the lyrics with references to volatile situations around the time, including George H.W. Bush's "thousand points of light" and "kinder, gentler nation" campaign slogans and the ayatollah of Iran's calling the U.S. "the Great Satan." There is indeed an embrace of the free-world spirit that many think the song is about, but there are also chilling references to homelessness, military and police intimidation, drug addiction, reckless consumerism and socioeconomic disadvantages. There's a reason why right-wing politicians often try to use this song and a reason why Neil objects every time.
This song is where it is on my list because it kicked my Neil fanaticism into overdrive. An encounter with #1 took it even higher.

Long, draining day. Listening to lots of good music helped, though!

#6s
Recognized by title alone: 21
Sounded familiar: 4
Knew from this countdown: 1 (I knew all the repeats, but I’m counting Of Monsters And Men here)
Didn't know: 15

Selected Favorites:
Cowgirl In The Sand (timschochet)
You Could Be Mine (Andy Dufresne)
Dreams [Dream Lover] (John Madden’s Lunchbox)
Hold On (simsarge)
Electric Blue (Doug B)

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Naive (scorchy)
Stadium Love (rockaction)
Tenebre (jwb)
Absolute (Hov34)
Meet Me In The Woods (KarmaPolice)

Dig The Vibe: Domingo No Parque (Don Quixote)

Pip’s Invitation:

I Got You - Split Enz (New Zealand/UK)
(duplicate, second vote)

This is where Neil Finn stepped out of the shadow of his older brother, and IMO it remains his best song. And as with a lot of my selections from this countdown, it was a song I discovered because of MTV, which when I first started watching it played this regularly along with a couple of other Neil Finn Split Enz songs, One Step Ahead and History Never Repeats. It's got incredible melodies and harmonies, and there are all kinds of interesting things going on in the arrangement. Finn didn't become an international superstar until Don't Dream It's Over, but he deserved that status more than half a decade earlier.

OK so tomorrow is the last artist that I have upcoming which has not been used yet. It surprises me somewhat as I would have thought someone would have picked something off of them, but I guess not. At least up until now. Remaining top four of mine are all previously used bands and there's only one unused track

I was putting together tomorrow's post and couldn't believe when I confirmed that your artist had not been previously selected.

Hmmm. I have one artist left in my top 5 that I am pretty flabbergasted about not being picked yet.

He did manage to get his schedule changed about a month ago to have Sunday/Monday off instead of Wed/Thurs, which will be good for watching football. I told his boss I wanted to hug him. Instead I bought his wife a plant.
Oh man, I partied HARRRRRRD in my Sunday/Moday day-off days.

Wed/Thurs sucked because my Friday was his Monday, and his Friday was my Tuesday. Yuck. Now that his schedule has changed, of course, all the good shows we want to go to seem to be on Thursdays! I guess it's OK since I'm banned from Ticketmaster anyway.
Sounds like a Marx Brothers bit
It's a fusion of Abbott and Costello's Who's on First with Groucho Marx's "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

DrIanMalcolm:

Oye Como Va - Santana (Mexico/US/Nicaragua)
(duplicate, second vote)

Don Quixote:

Domingo No Parque - Gilberto Gil (Brazil)
(new artist)

Interesting to hear these back to back. Santana nicked the beats in the middle of Gil's song for one of his tunes -- I think it's something from Caravanserai. (That album is mostly instrumental so it's hard to keep track of which tune is which.)

Pip’s Invitation:

(duplicate, second vote)

This is where Neil Finn stepped out of the shadow of his older brother, and IMO it remains his best song. And as with a lot of my selections from this countdown, it was a song I discovered because of MTV, which when I first started watching it played this regularly along with a couple of other Neil Finn Split Enz songs, One Step Ahead and History Never Repeats. It's got incredible melodies and harmonies, and there are all kinds of interesting things going on in the arrangement. Finn didn't become an international superstar until Don't Dream It's Over, but he deserved that status more than half a decade earlier.

Great write-up. I own this song, though! OWN!

OK so tomorrow is the last artist that I have upcoming which has not been used yet. It surprises me somewhat as I would have thought someone would have picked something off of them, but I guess not. At least up until now. Remaining top four of mine are all previously used bands and there's only one unused track

I was putting together tomorrow's post and couldn't believe when I confirmed that your artist had not been previously selected.

Hmmm. I have one artist left in my top 5 that I am pretty flabbergasted about not being picked yet.

same - could be the same guys ...

Pip’s Invitation:

(duplicate, second vote)

By ranking it lower? 🙇‍♀️🤷‍♂️

Pip’s Invitation:

(duplicate, second vote)

Carryover shtick from the British countdown.

Pip’s Invitation:

(duplicate, second vote)

New here?

Pip’s Invitation:

(duplicate, second vote)

binky higher

I knew 23 songs from today, not including my pick but counting repeats.

Known-to-me favorites from #6, not counting my own pick or Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, which is known to be on my list:

Rockin' in the Free World -- Neil Young (Zegras11)
Cowgirl in the Sand - Neil Young (Tim)
The Weight -- The Band (Krista4)
Expecting to Fly -- Buffalo Springfield (Simey)
Tom Sawyer -- Rush (Raging Weasel). The first Rush song I heard where I knew it was them. I became a fan when I started watching MTV because four tracks from Moving Pictures were in heavy rotation.
Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) -- Arcade Fire (Marco). Nice to see all three Neighborhoods be represented. This, Wake Up and Rebellion (Lies) were the immediate standouts from Funeral to me.
Oye Como Va -- Santana (DrIanMalcolm)
Hold On -- Triumph (Simsarge). The other song that set the template for their success. It and Lay It on the Line appear on their second US album, Just a Game. It in fact hit the US top 40, their only song other than Somebody's Out There to do so.
You Could Be Mine -- Guns N' Roses (Andy)
End of the Line -- The Traveling Wilburys (AAABatteries). If AAA had ranked this #1, it would have been the very last song we'd see unveiled. Which would have been fitting.
The Chain -- Fleetwood Mac (Just Win Baby)
Dark Star -- Crosby, Stills and Nash (Sullie). This could get pretty spectacular live, where it was often one of the big Stills guitar showcases. The song, about an affair, was released around the time of Stills' first divorce, but he has never revealed who it is about. "This isn't People Magazine," he said in the liner notes of the 1991 CSN box set.
Rainbow in the Dark -- Dio (Hawks64). I just realized the song title is clever because, you know, he used to be in a band called Rainbow.
Blinded by the Light -- Manfred Mann's Earth Band (Mrs. Rannous)
Under Pressure -- Queen and David Bowie (Shuke and Westerberg)
Panama -- Van Halen (Mt. Man)
Over My Head -- Fleetwood Mac (Doc Oc)

same - could be the same guys ...

With you? Oh it definitely is.

Twenty-Five-Point Selections:
Don Quixote:
1-Radio Ga Ga(Live Aid) - Queen (UK-Zanzibar - Freddie Mercury born in Zanzibar)]
(duplicate, second vote)
(Note that the version DQ would like to highlight includes both this and Bohemian Rhapsody, above and on Spotify together at this link)

Mrs. Rannous:
2-Your Wildest Dreams- Moody Blues (UK + Swiss Keyboardist)

(new artist)

JMLs secret identity:
3-Bring Me Edelweiss- Edelweiss (Austria)
(new artist)

John Maddens Lunchbox:
4-Brick England- Jean Michel Jarre and the Pet Shop Boys (France)
(both new artists)

westerberg:
5-Psycho Killer- Talking Heads
(new song)

AAABatteries:
6-Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen
(duplicate, second vote)

Want to move on to todays list as there is much more to say. Yesterdays 25 and no mention of Adele.

1- Interesting to go with the live aid version of Radio Gaga. Definitely sped up to account for strict time limits and it was their most recent big hit in the UK. Amazing to think this was their last new top 40 hit in the US. They made multiple albums later, all sold well elsewhere, but their singles on the whole didnt sell as well in the US as compared to the rest of the world.

2 - interesting. I was wondering why not more Moody Blues, but this is the late member add on in Swiss born Patrick Moraz. Still there is plenty of good material from 1978-1991. This may be the best.

3- weve already had some comment on Bring Me Edlweiss. I guess it was either this or Falco from Austria and this is more interesting. Purely for the sum of its part, but more for the KLF angle of following their blueprint.

4 - Jean Michel Jarre was gonna be my french pick unless I could find a suitable pairing from another country. I had already paired Daft Punk with Italy. Jarre’s electronica albums from the last few years gave me a chance. He works with about 38 different artists there. From Hans Zimmer, Gary Numan, Cyndi Lauper, Yello, Little Boots, **** Buttons, Vince Clarke, Moby, Air, Pete Townsend, Laurie Anderson and Edward Snowden. Either the collaboration wasnt that good or the country involved was locked to another artist. As I wasnt in the UK thing, I went with the Pet Shop Boys collaboration. Both have done much better work, but the result is still good.

5 First time this is chosen. Color me surprised

6 Second Time this is chosen, color me surprised. Interesting to not this onky made it #9 on initial release. That might have been an airplay thing. Once freddie died, plus Waynes world, the rerelease got to #2 in the US

Twenty-Six-Point Selections:
Pip’s Invitation:
1- I Got You- Split Enz (New Zealand/UK)
(duplicate, second vote)

Andy Dufresne:
2- You Could Be Mine- Guns N’ Roses
(new song)
Mister CIA:
3- Onstá la Yerbita- Los Destellos (Peru)

(new artist)
Mrs. Rannous:
4- Blinded By The Light- Manfred Mann (UK + South Africa)
(duplicate, second vote)

JMLs secret identity:
5- Doctorin the Tardis- The Timelords (South Africa)
(new artist)

Eephus:
6- Down To Zero- Joan Armatrading
(new song)
Hov34:
7- Absolute- Scritti Politti
(new artist)

Doug B:
8- Electric Blue- Icehouse
(new song)

higgins:
9- Dancing Queen- ABBA (Norway/Sweden mix)
(duplicate, second vote)

I have separated two tracks which i will list as their own posts. Cause im gonna write a lot lol
26, one for every letter of the alphbet and no spoiling allowed

1 - Already written something on this one, but will add a few points on Split Enz. Despite the big hit on True Colors being a Neil Finn song, Tim Finn wrote 8 of the other tracks, including the other singles Poor Boy, I Hope I Never and Nobody Takes Me Seriously Anyway were all Neil songs. On the next album, Corroboree, Neil only writes 4 songs, but 2 of them were the lead singles that reached the top 10 in Oz and NZ. The 2 Tim singles that followed flopped. Time and Tide follow with two successful Tim singles and his subsequent departure from the band soon after.

2- First thing i think of with this song is the movie Terminator 2 and the film clip featuring Arnie. Its a great sing, but the Use Your Illusion albums are packed with them.

3- Didnt have Peru on my list so this piqued my interest. I will backtrack and check if Mister CIA has written anything here, but I am curious why rank this one so high?

4- Thought about Manfred Mann and this song for South Africa, but once KLF presented itself, had to take them. Im sure there are people who prefer the Springsteen version, but to me its light and day as to which one is better. This one.

5- Speaking of KLF, here they are in a different guise as the Timelords. My copy of Gary in the Tardis (Gary Glitter) isnt aging well lol. This one was a monster hit. I had intended to take another tack, something off the White Room, but was stalling as to the choice and just stuck in Doctorin the Tardis as filler. With agonising over about 40 countries and artists, i forgot to revisit this one and just submitted what I had. Im ok with that.

6- Nice to see another Armatrading track. A truly underrated talent, with more versatility than given credit for. Her introspective work is always more heartfelt and interesting to me though.

7 - I couldnt see how Scritti Politti was eligible, then i saw a bunch of session musicians involved and thought....nah not checking this further. Turns out one was US, so the UK/US mix gets it through. Nice choice

8 - How many hits has Daryl Hall written for others without John Oates? Turns out there is a few Mr Chris Rock...I think I got the comedian right who referenced this discussion. Why am I bringing this up? John Oates co wrote this song and provides backing vocals with Iva Davies, lead singer and driving force of Icehouse.

9 - I must have missed this coming up before? Damn. Abbas most popular hit, and with good reason. Sweden was locked out for me, but this band was second choice. Thankfully i didnt have to pick a track as it would have taken as long as Yello

Last edited:
Some live versions of my picks:

So Long Marianne- there is something special to me about a large group of people singing like this

I am as cold as a new razor blade

Big Thief- live on TV

It's not the open weaving
Nor the furnace glow
Nor the blood of you bleeding

Bobcaygeon live @ Woodstock 99

I went back to bed this mornin'
And as I'm pullin' down the blind
Yeah, the sky was dull, and hypothetical
And fallin' one cloud at a time

Last edited:
titusbramble:

Children - Robert Miles (Italian)
(new artist)

Now to one of my favorite tracks, that was eligible, but i couldnt take. Switzerland belonged to Yello. This song came out of nowhere and was massive. Its US top chart position of 21, was only comparable to Canada where it reached the same position. Outside that it was top 5 in 20 countries, reaching #1 in 14 of them, including the total cumulative European charts and 4 of the big 5 in Germany, Spain, Italy and France. It only reached #2 in the 5th, the UK, but was the years 8th top selling single outselling most of the years songs that went to #1. It was held off top spot by first of all Dont Look Back in Anger by Oasis, then The boyband Take Thats cover of How Deep is Your Love and then by Firestarter by the Prodigy.

Chart position aside its a beautiful composition. It pioneered a sub group of EDM called Dream House.

Obviously stats aside, for a song to really strike we usually associate them to memories. For me this song and album were my go to on my first batch of long service leave where i spent 8 weeks on the Gold Coast in Australia. I had come to grips with who i was, had cast my childhood issues aside and became more confident and starting enjoying life. This song is my strongest memory of that period.

John Maddens Lunchbox:
Dreams (Dream Lover)- Faye Wong (China)
(new artist)

First things first, this is a cover of the Cranberries song. The Cranberries version is in my top 3 songs of all time, but obviously was ineligible here. I knew this version cause it comes from one of my favorite movies of all time, Wong Kar-Wai’s Chungking Express where her cover of the Cranberries song was sung in Cantonese, the language of her adopted homeland of Hong Kong (born in China)
This was her first major film and shes amazing. Cute, adorable, quirky and so ****** beautiful. More a recording star than an actress she broke into the chinese scene and started singing this same song in Mandarin, the Chinese language. Her life is the stuff of tabloids and due to her success in both film and music, there is no comparison i can think of in western culture. Bigger than J Lo anyway by comparison in both fields.

“Hugely popular in Hong Kong, Taiwan, Chinaand Singapore” In 2000, she was recognised by Guinness World Recordsas the "Best Selling Canto-PopFemale". In 2009, a poll was conducted to determine The Most Influential Chinese Cultural Celebrity in the Past 60 Years;
She ranked second only to the deceased Teresa Tengfrom Taiwan, Wong's own personal idol. To put Teng into perspective, her sudden shock death at age 42 “Teng's death produced a unified sense of loss throughout all of Asia, according to Billboard. Her funeral in Taiwan became the largest state-sponsored funeral in the country's history, second only to that of ROC leader Chiang Kai-shek”.
Without hesitation Teng was bigger than Elvis in Asia. Wong is second to that. Her diva behavior is encouraged and expected from a star of extraordinary magnitude.

This song is the one i listened to most in preparation for this and the various clips, most featuring the chungking express movie are just so joyous to hear and see again.
Thanks to those who highlighted this track. Not easy to have an asian language vocal and get past that and still enjoy it.

Haven't been commenting much on my songs or anyone's songs for that matter. Can't access FBG from work, but do have the playlists rocking in the background. Testing season at school now, and I'm the testing coordinator at my school. Anyway, have really enjoyed a lot of the music being spread. Thank you.

I will talk a bit about picks - Tried to be an "Edge Lord" with most of my picks - with the exception of the top 5 which are about to get very Chalky. I wore out two cassettes when I got my knock off GE Walkman. Saved up grass cutting money and it seemed like a wiser purchase. (regretted it always). The cassettes were 90125 by Yes and later Cupid and Psyche '85. Loved both albums and glad to see Yes album that wasn't eligible for the Brit draft getting lost of representation, but I didn't think the Scritti Polittii would get much love.

In doing some light research on the bands origins I came across this documentary on youtube - Scritti Politti - Tinseltown To The Boogie Down that I found very interesting. Also found it cool that Green Gartside is still touring today rocking the falsetto (even though it doesn't look like that voice should come out of his body) Live in Glasgow 2021

I'll just leave the video of my #6 pick here: Ah, the 80s

Twenty-Seven-Point Selections:

timschochet:

Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf
(duplicate, fourth vote)

Just Win Baby:

Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N' Roses (American and English band members)
(duplicate, third vote)

Pip’s Invitation:

The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys - Traffic (UK/US/France/Ghana)
(duplicate, second vote)

(@Ilov80s hyphen warning!!!111)

Andy Dufresne:

Dr. Ford - Ramin Djawadi
(new artist)

DrIanMalcolm:

Cult Of Personality - Living Colour (US/UK)
(duplicate, third AND fourth votes today and its second Deja Vote in the countdown!)

Don Quixote:

Taj Mahal - Jorge Ben Jor (Brazil)
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Rocket Queen - Guns N' Roses (US - Slash born in UK)
(duplicate, second vote)

scorchy:

Xanadu - Rush (Canada)
(new song)

shuke:

This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) - Talking Heads …...........David Byrne from Scotland, rest of band American
(duplicate, third vote)

Sullie:

Cult Of Personality - Living Colour (Vernon British is Reed, the rest of the United States is band.)
(duplicate, third AND fourth votes today and its second Deja Vote in the countdown!)

The Dreaded Marco:

Not Enough Time - INXS
(new song)

Mister CIA:

Cincinnati - The Distillers (Australia)
(new song)

Hawks64:

The Monster - Eminem and Rihanna
(Eminem, new artist; Rihanna, new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

The Stairs - INXS (Australia)
(new song)

titusbramble:

Tour De France - Kraftwerk (German)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen - Santana
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills & Nash
(duplicate, fourth vote)

worrierking:

Handle With Care - The Traveling Wilburys (England/US)
(duplicate, third vote)

Val Rannous:

Black Betty - Spiderbait (Australia)
(new song)

krista4:

Band On The Run - Wings (UK/US)
(duplicate, third vote)

Mt. Man:

Lateralus - Tool (US band, English bassist)
(duplicate, second vote)

JMLs secret identity:

Birthday - The Sugarcubes (Iceland)
(duplicate, second vote)

otb_lifer:

Chandelier - Sia (Australia)
(new song)

simey:

California Stars - Billy Bragg and Wilco (USA, England)
(duplicate, second vote; song owned by me! ME!)

rockaction:

The Weight - The Band (Canada)
(duplicate, fourth vote)

New Binky the Doormat:

Can't Find My Way Home - Blind Faith (3 rando English dudes & Ric Grech - born in France)
(new artist)

landrys hat:

Seek Up (Live at Red Rocks 1995) - Dave Matthews Band (South Africa)
(new song)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

NYC - Interpol (UK/US)
(new song)

MAC_32:

Rockin' In The Free World - Neil Young (Because Krista denied my request in the US countdown)
(duplicate, second vote)

(@Hawks64 , MAC specifically wanted the version with Pearl Jam above, but it's not on Spotify. If I'd realized this before posting the 26ers I would have saved a PJ cover for him. As it is, could you please just select a different PJ live version from yesterday?)

jwb:

Stumblin’ In - Chris Norman, Suzy Quatro
(both new artists)

Eephus:

Spring Rain - The Go-Betweens
(duplicate, third vote; song owned by me! ME!)

Hov34:

Remedy - The Black Crowes
(new song)

Manster:

Soul Rebel - Bob Marley
(new song)

simsarge:

Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac (I can only try to imagine the LA music scene in the 70s. I wonder if it was luck that Mick Fleetwood recruited Lindsey Buckingham or if he knew who he wanted and went there specifically for him. Who else did he hear and try to recruit? According to Wiki, Buckingham said ok on the condition Nicks could join too. What if Fleetwood had said "Nah, I don't need another female singer in the band"?)
(duplicate, second vote)

ditkaburgers:

Tiago - Kendji Girac
(new artist)

Doug B:

Chase - Giorgio Moroder
(new song)

westerberg:

Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels) - Arcade Fire
(duplicate, second vote)

KarmaPolice:

Eulogy - Tool
(new song)

higgins:

One Vision - Queen (Zanzibar)
(new song)

zamboni:

The Harder They Come - Jimmy Cliff (Jamaica)
(duplicate, second vote)

Zegras11:

School - Supertramp
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

Let Me Roll It - Wings
(new song)

Chaos34:

Many Rivers To Cross - Jimmy Cliff
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
(duplicate, third vote)

Harissa shrimp is (are?) marinating. Here are a few previews for tomorrow, with not much thought put in because I'm brain dead.

- A Deja-Deja Vote! Yes, a song that previously had a Deja Vote will have another Deja Vote tomorrow.
- As with "All Tomorrow's Parties" and "The Weight," we'll get the original of a song previously covered by another artist in this countdown.
- OH and I will :boxing: with two different songs from the same artist. I seriously considered taking his, and it's definitely my second choice, so he's not that wrong with his selection.
- The first appearance of a new song that ends up with multiple votes in the countdown. Which late arrival is so beloved by more than one drafter?

"Cult of Personality" with the Deja Deja Vote.
"Xanadu" by Rush shows up after the cover version had been posted earlier.
OH and I took "Let Me Roll It" and "Band on the Run," respectively. OH with a Wings song in his top five?! I feel like a proud parent.

6 Second Time this is chosen, color me surprised. Interesting to not this onky made it #9 on initial release. That might have been an airplay thing. Once freddie died, plus Waynes world, the rerelease got to #2 in the US
I know it's not surprising at this point, but I had never heard Bohemian Rhapsody until Wayne's World.
I don’t think I had either, but I think I’m a little bit younger than most others here (despite my user name suggesting otherwise).

timschochet:

Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf
(duplicate, fourth vote)

Just Win Baby:

Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N' Roses (American and English band members)
(duplicate, third vote)

Pip’s Invitation:

The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys - Traffic (UK/US/France/Ghana)
(duplicate, second vote)

(@Ilov80s hyphen warning!!!111)

Andy Dufresne:

Dr. Ford - Ramin Djawadi
(new artist)

DrIanMalcolm:

Cult Of Personality - Living Colour (US/UK)

Don Quixote:

Taj Mahal - Jorge Ben Jor (Brazil)
(new song)

Dr. Octopus:

Rocket Queen - Guns N' Roses (US - Slash born in UK)
(duplicate, second vote)

scorchy:

Xanadu - Rush (Canada)
(new song)

shuke:

This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) - Talking Heads …...........David Byrne from Scotland, rest of band American
(duplicate, third vote)

Sullie:

Cult Of Personality - Living Colour (Vernon British is Reed, the rest of the United States is band.)

The Dreaded Marco:

Not Enough Time - INXS
(new song)

Mister CIA:

Cincinnati - The Distillers (Australia)
(new song)

Hawks64:

The Monster - Eminem and Rihanna
(Eminem, new artist; Rihanna, new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

The Stairs - INXS (Australia)
(new song)

titusbramble:

Tour De France - Kraftwerk (German)
(new artist)

Raging weasel:

Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen - Santana
(new song)

Ilov80s:

Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills & Nash
(duplicate, fourth vote)

worrierking:

Handle With Care - The Traveling Wilburys (England/US)
(duplicate, third vote)

Val Rannous:

Black Betty - Spiderbait (Australia)
(new song)

krista4:

Band On The Run - Wings (UK/US)
(duplicate, third vote)

Mt. Man:

Lateralus - Tool (US band, English bassist)
(duplicate, second vote)

JMLs secret identity:

Birthday - The Sugarcubes (Iceland)
(duplicate, second vote)

otb_lifer:

Chandelier - Sia (Australia)
(new song)

simey:

California Stars - Billy Bragg and Wilco (USA, England)
(duplicate, second vote; song owned by me! ME!)

rockaction:

The Weight - The Band (Canada)
(duplicate, fourth vote)

New Binky the Doormat:

Can't Find My Way Home - Blind Faith (3 rando English dudes & Ric Grech - born in France)
(new artist)

landrys hat:

Seek Up (Live at Red Rocks 1995) - Dave Matthews Band (South Africa)
(new song)

John Maddens Lunchbox:

NYC - Interpol (UK/US)
(new song)

MAC_32:

Rockin' In The Free World - Neil Young (Because Krista denied my request in the US countdown)
(duplicate, second vote)

(@Hawks64 , MAC specifically wanted the version with Pearl Jam above, but it's not on Spotify. If I'd realized this before posting the 26ers I would have saved a PJ cover for him. As it is, could you please just select a different PJ live version from yesterday?)

jwb:

Stumblin’ In - Chris Norman, Suzy Quatro
(both new artists)

Eephus:

Spring Rain - The Go-Betweens
(duplicate, third vote; song owned by me! ME!)

Hov34:

Remedy - The Black Crowes
(new song)

Manster:

Soul Rebel - Bob Marley
(new song)

simsarge:

Rhiannon - Fleetwood Mac (I can only try to imagine the LA music scene in the 70s. I wonder if it was luck that Mick Fleetwood recruited Lindsey Buckingham or if he knew who he wanted and went there specifically for him. Who else did he hear and try to recruit? According to Wiki, Buckingham said ok on the condition Nicks could join too. What if Fleetwood had said "Nah, I don't need another female singer in the band"?)
(duplicate, second vote)

ditkaburgers:

Tiago - Kendji Girac
(new artist)

Doug B:

Chase - Giorgio Moroder
(new song)

westerberg:

(duplicate, second vote)

KarmaPolice:

Eulogy - Tool
(new song)

higgins:

One Vision - Queen (Zanzibar)
(new song)

zamboni:

The Harder They Come - Jimmy Cliff (Jamaica)
(duplicate, second vote)

Zegras11:

School - Supertramp
(new song)

Oliver Humanzee:

Let Me Roll It - Wings
(new song)

Chaos34:

Many Rivers To Cross - Jimmy Cliff
(new song)

AAABatteries:

Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac
(duplicate, third vote)
The 27 pointers playlist

I picked the best quality PJ cover to my ears, but for some reason, there is a huge quality difference in their live recordings.

@simsarge It looks like there was not a major audition process for Fleetwood Mac guitarist. Wiki:

Whilst Fleetwood was checking out Sound City Studios in Los Angeles during the autumn of 1974, the house engineer, Keith Olsen, played him a track he had recorded, "Frozen Love", from the album Buckingham Nicks (1973).[72]Fleetwood liked it and was introduced to the guitarist from the band, Lindsey Buckingham, who was at Sound City that day recording demos. Fleetwood asked him to join Fleetwood Mac, and Buckingham agreed, on the condition that his music partner and girlfriend, Stevie Nicks, be included

well as expected, the previously commented list continues to grow

my favs from today (not yet previously commented on)

Xanadu - Rushscorchyhellz ya
Not Enough Time - INXSThe Dreaded Marcoanother one that I had completely forgotten
The Stairs - INXSMrs. Rannouswow - another lesser known INXS song for today …are these guys gonna finish top 10?
Black Magic Woman - SantanaRaging Weaselsurprised this hadn't been picked yet
Black Betty - SpiderbaitVal Rannoussweet cover - reaction.
Remedy - The Black CrowesHov34this is the song when I think Black Crowes …could listen over and over
One Vistion - Queenhigginsdon't think of one when I think of them - but I like it … a lot
School - SupertrampZegras11wheelhouse Supertramp
Let Me Roll It - WingsOHmore goodness from the "Band On The Run" album that I about wore the grooves off of

my favs from today that were previously commented on

Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolftimbomy list
The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys - TrafficPipmy list
Cult of Personality - Living ColourDrIanMalcolm/Sullieso close
This Must Be The Place - Talking Headsshukethought you were going for the same as my today's pick
Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - CSNIlove80s
Band On The Run - Wingskrista
The Weight - The Bandrockaction
Rockin' In The Free World - Neil YoungMac 32
Rhiannon - Fleetwood Macsimsarge
Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood MacAAABatteriesmy list

new to me favs from today

Taj Mahal - Jorge Ben JorDon Quixotenot expecting this - loving it!
Cincinnati - The DistillersMister CIAsome good ol' straight ahead punk

westerberg:

(duplicate, second vote)
This was my 26 pointer from yesterday. Such a great song. The first song on their first album—-still my favorite.

But sometimes, we remember our bedrooms
And our parents' bedrooms
And the bedrooms of our friends
Then we think of our parents
Well what ever happened to them?

When I heard this song for the first time this lyric hit home for me and still does.

westerberg:

(duplicate, second vote)
This was my 26 pointer from yesterday. Such a great song. The first song on their first album—-still my favorite.

But sometimes, we remember our bedrooms
And our parents' bedrooms
And the bedrooms of our friends
Then we think of our parents
Well what ever happened to them?

When I heard this song for the first time this lyric hit home for me and still does.

This is my favorite from them, but I went with "Wake Up" for the nostalgic reasons I posted about.

Users who are viewing this thread