What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where in the world are the middle-aged dummies? Worldwide top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

Over the past month or so, I've been realizing something. Man, I missed a Canadian band that for sure would have made my list. I always thought they were wimps, but they're actually quite excellent.

Previous me is such an unreliable narrator. I can't stand his taste in music sometimes. This band was constructing some awesome songs. This is some well-thought-out power pop. Delightful.

Sloan - Money City Maniacs

Crap. Doc Oc is posting there now. Binky, don't!
I'm staying down the middle. I'm safe.

I even passed up on really responding to that softball down the middle of "Tucker isn’t a journalist" (by some one trying to defend him) when I said he and Lemon were terrible journalists.
I was thinking of making a Meadowlark Lemon reference, but concerned that one of the mods may be a Washington Generals fan.

Crap. Doc Oc is posting there now. Binky, don't!
I'm staying down the middle. I'm safe.

I even passed up on really responding to that softball down the middle of "Tucker isn’t a journalist" (by some one trying to defend him) when I said he and Lemon were terrible journalists.

can we plz leave this kinda collateral damage in that thread, tho?

🤘
I'll post as I see fit, thanks.

don't wanna be dodging shrapnel from a landmine i'm avoiding, is all.

whatever floats it.

So they made a foreign version of The Cranberries Dreams, huh.
Why shocked? How many “western” song appropriate from latin, african, middle eastern and asian cultures etc
Wong herself was a huge fan of the Cocteau Twins as well and even collaborated with Elizabeth Fraser and the gang a few times.

Asian music is heavily indebted to certain western styles, but of course add their own flavor. K Pop is just the only one to break through in a huge way.
So they made a foreign version of The Cranberries Dreams, huh.

Yes, I've finally made my way to the 26 pointers. Objective - complete all 31 before May. And no way I am successful achieving that goal.
Faye Wong 😍
Yeah, shes gorgeous.

Over the past month or so, I've been realizing something. Man, I missed a Canadian band that for sure would have made my list. I always thought they were wimps, but they're actually quite excellent.

Previous me is such an unreliable narrator. I can't stand his taste in music sometimes. This band was constructing some awesome songs. This is some well-thought-out power pop. Delightful.

Soon as I catch up on a few things I will check out Sloan. It does remind me, I ran across the band 54-40 a while back and I think they are fantastic. Unfortunately, I get sub-par results pulling them up on YouTube Music, particularly their eponymous album released in 1986, which received some pretty high praise on an allmusic.com review (I don't put a whole lot of stock in the reviews of people I'm unfamiliar with, but it's a useful data point). The band falls somewhere on the spectrum of the likes of Hoodoo Gurus, Tragically Hip, Rusty, and Nada Surf.

Here are a few of my favorites (Next time I get my hands on an edible and good beer, I'll make it a priority to properly add them to the 25K thread).

Lucy probably my favorite
Punk Grass
Love You All (live)

I don't know enough of their massive catalog but the 31 favorite Sloan songs from someone knowledgeable about their music would be worth a listen.

:scared:
@Northern Voice

Before I send in a list of bands, question - should we be avoiding acts that have had major lists run just for them before on the board? Things like the Beatles, Neil Young, Rush, etc.?

Or does that sort of thing not matter to whatever it is we're doing?

Before I send in a list of bands, question - should we be avoiding acts that have had major lists run just for them before on the board? Things like the Beatles, Neil Young, Rush, etc.?

It doesn’t matter to me. I’m sure most would say the same. I’ve said before I would expect a mix of small-medium-large type acts.

It doesn’t matter to me. I’m sure most would say the same. I’ve said before I would expect a mix of small-medium-large type acts.
I will not be submitting Neil Young because anyone who read my countdown* already knows what my top 31 from him are. But I would be happy to read someone else's rankings if they took him.

* - which means almost none of you

I will not be submitting Neil Young because anyone who read my countdown* already knows what my top 31 from him are. But I would be happy to read someone else's rankings if they took him.

* - which means almost none of you

I read man ...I read it.

I will not be submitting Neil Young because anyone who read my countdown*

You'd have to define what "read" means. Every post? No. But quite a few -- enough to get me into Neil Young and purchase a nice copy of Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and listen to him back when he was still on Spotify.

Your work was not unheard. ;)
I was more just doing krista "no one reads my posts" shtick. But I know some of the regulars aren't Neil fans and thus didn't read the thread.

Tim read the beginning of it and then got one of his many bans. :laugh:

I think it was the British Isles countdown where we talked about high school "class songs," and I still don't think we had one, but a friend posted this McSweeney's analysis and indicated that Oklahoma! was our senior-year musical.
Ours was How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying*, which isn't on the list. So it'd be something like "your school didn't have a football team, which freed up more boys than usual for acting."

* -- the lead became a professional actor who appeared in at least three versions of the Law and Order universe.

I think it was the British Isles countdown where we talked about high school "class songs," and I still don't think we had one, but a friend posted this McSweeney's analysis and indicated that Oklahoma! was our senior-year musical.
Ours was How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying*, which isn't on the list. So it'd be something like "your school didn't have a football team, which freed up more boys than usual for acting."

* -- the lead became a professional actor who appeared in at least three versions of the Law and Order universe.

No football team? What did your cheerleaders do?!

No football team? What did your cheerleaders do?!
We didn't have cheerleaders until my junior year. They worked basketball, soccer, field hockey and lacrosse games.

I think it would have helped if I was I a musical buff or if I was in the drama club, but that was a fun read regardless.
I wasn't in the drama club, but I took drama in high school and in college. In high school there was a play that had to do with the Peanuts. My drama teacher kept pushing me to try out for Woodstock. She didn't say why, but I think it was because of my hair. It was wavy, blonde and layered, and the top was a bit fluffy, and I can see where she would think it looked sorta like a bird. Anyway, a girl named Jennifer wanted to play Woodstock so bad, and so I didn't try out for it. I didn't really want to do it, and I felt like the drama teacher would have just given it to me, because that is what she wanted. I don't know if the bird even had any speaking parts. The teacher was disappointed that I wasn't interested, but I didn't care. Jennifer got the part, and she was flying high in happiness.

It was wavy, blonde and layered, and the top was a bit fluffy, and I can see where she would think it looked sorta like a bird.
A kid at my HS had a similar layered blond 'do but with a cowlick. Unfortunately, it made him look like tweety bird in the ep where he drinks a potion and becomes Mr. Hyde. I'm sure he doesn't have fond memories of those years because most of us weren't as kind as simey.

Evil Tweety

We didn't have cheerleaders until my junior year. They worked basketball, soccer, field hockey and lacrosse games.

We did all basketball and football games. And one soccer game a year. :lol: We most certainly didn't have field hockey or lacrosse, though.
What in the world. The team practices all season for that one game. That would be a tough loss.

I don't know enough of their massive catalog but the 31 favorite Sloan songs from someone knowledgeable about their music would be worth a listen.

:scared:
@Northern Voice
Yes and I could do this but I like their Beatles-y songs a bit better than their (by their standards) "rockier" songs like the one rock posted (see what I did there).

We did all basketball and football games. And one soccer game a year. :lol: We most certainly didn't have field hockey or lacrosse, though.
What in the world. The team practices all season for that one game. That would be a tough loss.

Ohhhh, they had many games, but we only cheered for one! Since we're similar ages, you might remember that soccer was not a big deal at the time, though maybe it was better where you were than in the Midwest? Anyway, we didn't GAF about soccer but threw them a bone once per year.

Yes and I could do this but I like their Beatles-y songs a bit better than their (by their standards) "rockier" songs like the one rock posted (see what I did there).

Yeah, I've been noticing what you're talking about. They have four different songwriters, right? Or something like that?

Anyway, it's been a cool dive today. I, as you note, like the rockers.

It was wavy, blonde and layered, and the top was a bit fluffy, and I can see where she would think it looked sorta like a bird.
A kid at my HS had a similar layered blond 'do but with a cowlick. Unfortunately, it made him look like tweety bird in the ep where he drinks a potion and becomes Mr. Hyde. I'm sure he doesn't have fond memories of those years because most of us weren't as kind as simey.

Evil Tweety
It was probably insulting that the drama teacher wanted me to play Woodstock. She shouldn't have wanted me to try out for anything. I played Amanda in The Glass Menagerie in front of some of the student body, and I made two of my acting partners break character by making a face at them when my back was turned to the audience. They broke character and then so did I, and it took a long time for us to stop laughing. The drama teacher was not amused.

Users who are viewing this thread