What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where's the high profile RB Denver was supposed to (1 Viewer)

They didn't draft one.
Yet
Anything they draft from this point out is roster filler/practice squad material.
Yeah, just like all the RBs Denver drafts later than this in the draft. Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Terrell Davis. Oh wait...
Yes, there are still gems to be found later in the draft. But you completely missed my point. Any RB they draft from this point forward is not expected to come in and compete for a starting role with Dayne/Bell. He'll be merely depth/practice sqaud that will have to catch a lot of breaks (injuries to other guys) to move up the depth chart.

They went high profile QB and very high profile WR instead.
Yeh, all they really said is that they want to add a playmaker to their offense. In the veteran's market it was first either Ricky Williams or TO but not both. With TO off to Dallas and Ricky suspended it became Javon Walker. They did hint at wanting to trade up for a QB by mentioning Vince Young's name. So its not a huge shock that they did to select Cutler. That was really the only pick where they might have grabbed a "high profile" RB. Trading the early second for Walker was probably close to a done deal before the draft even started.

I'm sure they'll pick a RB at some point. I dont think anybody is shocked that they havent yet.

They didn't draft one.
Yet
Anything they draft from this point out is roster filler/practice squad material.
Yeah, just like all the RBs Denver drafts later than this in the draft. Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Terrell Davis. Oh wait...
Yes, there are still gems to be found later in the draft. But you completely missed my point. Any RB they draft from this point forward is not expected to come in and compete for a starting role with Dayne/Bell. He'll be merely depth/practice sqaud that will have to catch a lot of breaks (injuries to other guys) to move up the depth chart.
same could be said for Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, and Terrell Davis. Bell and Portis were taken in the 2nd round, the highest Shannahan has ever picked a RB. I never understood why anyone thought they would differ this year.Anyone who thought that Denver would draft a RB in the first round hasn't been paying attention to draft tendancies for the past 10 years.

They didn't draft one.
Yet
Why? All three of the guys I mentioned (Davis, Anderson, Gary) were given the chance to compete for starts their rookie year, and all of them took advantage of that enough to go over 1000 yards. If Denver is consistent about anything it's that they always give the guys they draft (no matter where they draft them) a fair shot.

They didn't draft one.
Yet
Why? All three of the guys I mentioned (Davis, Anderson, Gary) were given the chance to compete for starts their rookie year, and all of them took advantage of that enough to go over 1000 yards. If Denver is consistent about anything it's that they always give the guys they draft (no matter where they draft them) a fair shot.
if injuries were to strike.

They've been saying all along that they were happy with Bell, Dayne and Cobbs but nobody believed them :mellow:
Shanny stated again tonight that he was happy with what he's seen from Cedric Cobbs and looks forward to seeing more of him in camp. Mentioned Dayne as well, but not hardly any mention of Bell. :curious:

They've been saying all along that they were happy with Bell, Dayne and Cobbs but nobody believed them :mellow:
Like I said, Shanahan isn't nearly as deceptive as everyone thinks he is. They always think he's throwing up a smoke screen, but in reality, he's actually... you know... telling the truth.Remember last year when nobody believed Shanny about Anderson? Don't sleep on Dayne this year.

His name is Jay Cutler.

With all the talk about the Rams wanting to draft Cutler at 1.11, I'm wondering if they're kicking themselves for making that trade. It's not like the Broncos made the deal and said "Okay. We won't draft Cutler because we know you want him. We promise."

The Rams could have easily expected the Broncos to take Williams or a WR with that pick. Nobody had a clue that the Broncos were even considering taking any QB with that 1st pick.

I'm sure they will draft someone today who will turn into a 1,500 yard rusher, only to complain about his contract and get benched or traded the following year. I'm pretty much convinced that this cycle will continue indefinitely.

They've been saying all along that they were happy with Bell, Dayne and Cobbs but nobody believed them  :mellow:
Like I said, Shanahan isn't nearly as deceptive as everyone thinks he is. They always think he's throwing up a smoke screen, but in reality, he's actually... you know... telling the truth.Remember last year when nobody believed Shanny about Anderson? Don't sleep on Dayne this year.
Being in NY, I've long held my doubts about Dayne, but I admittedly am starting to turn the corner on my viewpoint of him.The talent was never a question, just the hunger (pun intended). Sometimes guys need a change of scenery, and this may be another example.

I don't think anyone can doubt Shanny in his assessment of RBs (Clarett being a notable exception). He obviously sees something in Dayne, and I think it would be foolish to just view him as though he were still on the Giants.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being in NY, I've long held my doubts about Dayne, but I admittedly am starting to turn the corner on my viewpoint of him.The talent was never a question, just the hunger (pun intended). Sometimes guys need a change of scenery, and this may be another example.

I don't think anyone can doubt Shanny in his assessment of RBs (Clarett being a notable exception). He obviously sees something in Dayne, and I think it would be foolish to just view him as though he were still on the Giants.
This is a vote of confidence for Dayne AND Bell. Dayne ran with power last year like I never thought he would again and looked like a carbon copy of MA. If he can get into the end zone the way MA did last year then he could be looking at a very good season.

Two days ago people on this website were wildly speculating Deangelo Williams, bla, blah. Glad this has been laid to rest. Denver drafted NO rb, period.

Paging Mr. Dayne to the Honololu

we all know that Bell will be the man this year in Denver.

He had a good 2005 as a change of pace RB

971 rushing on 184 atts.

132 rec

8 TDs

What in the hell has Dayne done in his 6 years in the NFL.

Bells 2006 #s

1500 total yards

12 TDs.

one's fat, one's fragile...  i'll take the fat one... you CAN coach conditioning

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You cant uncoach being an injury prone wuss.I am with you....give me the fat one....

*******Ron Dayne= 1200-1400 yards and 10 TD this season********

No, i dont own him in any league.......yet.

I had them drafting Cutler in my first mock. I thought that was the guy they'd moved up for, but most of the Broncos fans talked me out of it. I figured I was out of touch with Skeletor's scheme, but I was right on that one (one of the few.)

I had them drafting Cutler in my first mock.  I thought that was the guy they'd moved up for, but most of the Broncos fans talked me out of it.  I figured I was out of touch with Skeletor's scheme, but I was right on that one (one of the few.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It wasn't me:
So far, from what I see, you're looking at WR Chad Jackson or QB Jay Cutler

Cutler has to remind Shanahan some of Elway.  Big arm, not always the greatest accuracy, can use his legs but would rather hang & throw, heart of a lion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tatum Bell or newly acquired Mike Bell:

Has good size and a solid frame...Very instinctive with great vision...More quick than fast with good feet...Tough, physical runner...Does a nice job between the tackles...Patient and waits for the holes to develop before exploding through them...Is a solid receiver out of the backfield...An adequate pass blocker.Is not the type who will bowl you over with his physical tools but he is just has a feel for the position...A well-rounded player who does everything well but nothing great...Could end up being a steal for someone if they determine his final grade based on the film from his senior campaign alone...May be a sleeper to watch.
Sounds like a Shanahan back to me. :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Has good size and a solid frame...Very instinctive with great vision...More quick than fast with good feet...Tough, physical runner...Does a nice job between the tackles...Patient and waits for the holes to develop before exploding through them...Is a solid receiver out of the backfield...An adequate pass blocker.

Is not the type who will bowl you over with his physical tools but he is just has a feel for the position...A well-rounded player who does everything well but nothing great...Could end up being a steal for someone if they determine his final grade based on the film from his senior campaign alone...May be a sleeper to watch.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hell's Bells?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One more thing to consider, given Shanahan's general success with RBs (Clarett and Griffin notwithstanding):Shanahan on Laurence Maroney:

"I loved him," Shanahan said. "I think the Patriots got a steal. An absolute steal. I think he's going to be the best back in the league."
the link
Does anyone else think that TJ Duckett would be a stud there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do. I would love to see Duckett in town. He'd need to work on his blocking some before he got the full-time job, but he's pretty much the ideal runner for the scheme.
we all know that Bell will be the man this year in Denver.

He had a good 2005 as a change of pace RB

971 rushing on 184 atts.

132 rec

8 TDs

What in the hell has Dayne done in his 6 years in the NFL.

Bells 2006 #s

1500 total yards

12 TDs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... no. We don't "all know that Bell will be the man this year". Shanahan has said multiple times that he is leery of giving Bell more than a dozen or so carries, because Bell wears down. Every single statistic out there supports this viewpoint. His ypc decline by carry, by quarter, and by game in the season. What's more, while Shanny's been heaping praise on Dayne and Cedrick Cobbs, Bell hasn't been getting much love at all. There were even rumors that Denver was trying to shop him earlier this offseason.I expect Bell to get carries. In fact, I expect him to see a similar role to the one he played last year. I do NOT expect him to be "the man".

Has good size and a solid frame...Very instinctive with great vision...More quick than fast with good feet...Tough, physical runner...Does a nice job between the tackles...Patient and waits for the holes to develop before exploding through them...Is a solid receiver out of the backfield...An adequate pass blocker.

Is not the type who will bowl you over with his physical tools but he is just has a feel for the position...A well-rounded player who does everything well but nothing great...Could end up being a steal for someone if they determine his final grade based on the film from his senior campaign alone...May be a sleeper to watch.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's the problem with that... since Shanahan came to town, 6 RBs have gotten substantial playing time as rookies. There was Terrell Davis (he won the job outright, in part because there were no established backs on the roster). There was Olandis Gary (injury to Davis), Mike Anderson (injury to Davis and Gary), Clinton Portis (won the starting job), Quentin Griffin (injury to Portis), and Tatum Bell (injury to Griffin, reduced effectiveness from Droughns).In other words, aside from Clinton Portis (who is one of the most sublime talents at RB in the NFL), no Denver rookie RB has won the starting job over established veterans. Even Portis took 4 games to finally secure the starting job. Due to Shanahan's strict rules about blocking and the general learning curve of the offense, rookies don't usually make quite the splash that you'd anticipate.

After the second round passed with no RB selected, I feel like Dayne just won himself the job. That can change in TCs and the preseason, but he's the back I'm riding my money on.

Users who are viewing this thread