What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which Pill Do You Choose? (Stolen from Twitter/X) (1 Viewer)

Which pill do you choose?

• Total voters
You are not saving anybody. We all make the choice.

Kids ARE NOT Stupid. Take this pill and you live. Take that pill and there is a chance you die.
The kids take the orange pill. If you think different, you have forgotten what it is like to be a kid.

This is not a scenario where you are on a street and saving someone from falling through an open manhole.
You do remember kids eating tide pods, right?
Some kids and adults are really stupid.

And there is no real reason to choose green because anyone who wants to live can just pick orange.

What if you want other people other than yourself to live?
I do. But I am not so sure that is the choice here. I was choosing green first, but after thinking about it, there is not a real reason to choose green. Choosing green isn't altruistic because the consequence of orange doesn't impact anyone that was not given the same choice. Orange you live. Green you like to gamble for no reason. There might be a handful of people that want to die so they choose green. But when explained better when given the choice, there is no reason to pick green,

Last edited:
I'll admit my first gut was green. But after thinking about it for a little bit, the logic of orange won me over. I'm responsible for myself, and why would I put my fate in the hands of a bunch of strangers if it could be prevented? Therefore, everyone should choose orange as the best equilibrium.

I think the way the question is phrased definitely primes you to pick green. Without even going into the interesting highways and blender framings, I think the following would get a majority orange:

You must take either an orange or a green pill
Everyone who takes the orange pill lives
If you take the green pill, you only live if >50% of the population takes the green pill

Exact same scenario, but frames it in such a way that primes you to think taking the green pill is reckless.

Kids ARE NOT Stupid. Take this pill and you live. Take that pill and there is a chance you die.
The kids take the orange pill. If you think different, you have forgotten what it is like to be a kid.

This is not a scenario where you are on a street and saving someone from falling through an open manhole.
The argument that there are tons of stupid people favors an orange response.

There is no argument to be made that stupid people would favor the green. At best you can argue 50/50, and I think even that is a losing prop since self preservation is a strong force even for chuckleheads.

So the groups voting would be
1. Chuckleheads
2. Altruists
3. selfish jerks
4. Realists
5. Realists that would rather die than live in orange vote world.

I fail to see how in an actual life/death vote that these groups add up to a 50% green vote, which makes orange the easy choice for me.

I should have framed the sentence better. When faced with that choice, the kids take the orange.
To a kid and some of us, this is simple logic.

Orange is the logical choice, but there are many that will act illogical, including those under 2-3 years old. There's only one way to save those infants.
Which pill do you think a 2 year old will choose?

"take this pill nothing bad happens to you"
"take this pill you might die"

You think they take the pill that might kill them?
I think a 2-3 y.o. chooses the color that looks more yummy.

I always wondered how real that news was.

"People who choose orange are selfish bastards, because there are stupid people who will pick green. So I'm going to pick green. I'm not one of those stupid people, I'm smart. No, really. I'm helping the stupid people. You selfish *******, you."

lol

Orange is the logical choice, but there are many that will act illogical, including those under 2-3 years old. There's only one way to save those infants.

Depends how it is put to them which is why I assumed the wording would be based on the level of intellect and understanding of each person. (at least that is my assumption based on this fictional scenario). It really would be unfair to not at least put the description in a way for every person to understand the results of each choice. Assuming that, I would believe that smail kids would go with whichever is simply better for them without any thought as to how it affects others in any way.

Totally a tangent, IMO, but it’s like some of these folks haven’t been around young kids. Some 2-3 year olds don’t even know their colors, eat their own boogers and have no real concept of death. Not all but a decent amount.

Totally a tangent, IMO, but it’s like some of these folks haven’t been around young kids. Some 2-3 year olds don’t even know their colors, eat their own boogers and have no real concept of death. Not all but a decent amount.
I should ask my wife, a preschool teacher of 2 year olds, to conduct this test.
She’ll find it hilarious.
Parents might not be thrilled that Johnny came home with a big red ❌ on his shirt denoting that he is now dead.

Parents might not be thrilled that Johnny came home with a big red ❌ on his shirt denoting that he is now dead.
My daughter teaches kindergarten. Same. lol

Depends how it is put to them which is why I assumed the wording would be based on the level of intellect and understanding of each person. (at least that is my assumption based on this fictional scenario). It really would be unfair to not at least put the description in a way for every person to understand the results of each choice. Assuming that, I would believe that smail kids would go with whichever is simply better for them without any thought as to how it affects others in any way.

It’s an assumption to be sure, but a fair one I think. Otherwise, we would be bringing up the fact that there is at least a billion people who would choose green because they don’t speak English and therefore wouldn’t understand the situation as it has been presented (in English).

Would people change their minds if the scenario was updated to say that parents choices go for any of their kids under 5 years old? Essentially kids under 5 don't count in any of the calculations and they get the result of whatever their parent chose. Might skew a few greens to orange if they knew it would protect their kid too.

Word it like this:

Everyone responding to this poll chooses between a green pill and an orange pill.

If > 50% of people choose the green pill, everyone lives.
If not, only people who chose the green pill die.

What is your choice?

Word it like this:

Everyone responding to this poll chooses between a green pill and an orange pill.

What is your choice?
If I choose not to decide have I made a choice?

Word it like this:

What is your choice?
I’m selfishly choosing to live for 1 reason and 1 reason only. Just so I can continue to snipe your FF picks.

People can say they would take the green all they want, but if it were real, nearly everyone would take the orange. The chance your choice is the deciding pill is next to 0.

Not preschool, but they actually did this experiment already. The orange-pillers won, of course.

(No idea if anybody besides me will understand this joke -- I'm not sure how obscure this reference is).
Watched that video in my high school social studies class. I'm blanking on the specifics, but I feel like I saw something similar on a TV show a few years ago and thought, "Hey, they stole that from The Wave!"

Definitely orange then.

To the people who choose green and feel like orange is selfish, is there a % needed that would make you change your mind?
If 75% green was needed for everyone to live, do you join the "selfish" side? 90%?

I assume at 100%, no rational person would choose green. The reason to save the people who somehow misunderstood or weren't rational about it would be out the window because the second one person votes green all greens are dead, so you'd just be throwing your life away for nothing.

I've thought about the other side of it, and I'm not sure how small the number would have to be for me to switch from orange to green. I think it would have to be pretty small, though, if at all.

eta: I just realized Ivan already asked the same basic question

Last edited:

My daughter teaches kindergarten. Same. lol
She picked Orange without hesitating. I asked her what if her students had to choose and she didn't even blink before saying "still orange." lol

Users who are viewing this thread