What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which rookie WOULD surprise you if they're a bust? (1 Viewer)

Which rookie WOULD MOST surprise you if they are a bust?

• D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winston Justice

• Mario Williams

• Haloti Ngata

• Brodrick Bunkley

• AJ Hawk

• Michael Huff

• Jimmy Williams

• Matt Leinart

• Vince Young

• Jay Cutler

• DeAngelo Williams

• Vernon Davis

• Chad Jackson

• Santonio Holmes

• Total voters

cstu

Footballguy
We always hear people say "I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bust" but I consider this a pointless remark to make since so many rookies are busts. I thought a better poll would be "Who would most surprise you if they are a bust?" - or who do you think is the most unlikely to be a bust?

**Assani Fisher faxed me a request to leave Bush off and I'm doing so because he seems like the obvious choice.

So, which rookie WOULD MOST surprise you if they are a bust?

d'brickashaw ferguson...reggie bush should have been included in this poll. he's more likely to bust in the NFL that brick imo

he has solid fundamentals and a head for the game. brick keeps his emotions from getting the best of him (reminds me of jonathan ogden actually). he won't be the next anthony munoz but he definetly will not bust. if the wheels start to fall off an offensive lineman they can always be moved to guard and at least contribute. where else can you put a QB or RB?

Last edited:
Mario Williams. He's a BEAST. #2 player behind Bush and well worth the hype.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ferguson, no question. I wouldn't be THAT surprised to see Williams or Davis bust. In fact, I still think that Willams drops from 2nd overall to 8-10.

Despite the attention that surrounded the "bustitude" of Tony Mandarich, OTs drafted early have an exceptional track record.

The Brick

DeAngelo Williams

I really think he is in the mold of Emmitt Smith w/speed. He will be drafted late in the 1st round and go to a good team (NE, Indy hopefully).

We always hear people say "I wouldn't be surprised if he's a bust" but I consider this a pointless remark to make since so many rookies are busts. I thought a better poll would be "Who would most surprise you if they are a bust?" - or who do you think is the most unlikely to be a bust?

**Assani Fisher faxed me a request to leave Bush off and I'm doing so because he seems like the obvious choice.

So, which rookie WOULD MOST surprise you if they are a bust?
:thumbup: Thanks man. Glad to see your fax machine is up and running again.

Despite the attention that surrounded the "bustitude" of Tony Mandarich, OTs drafted early have an exceptional track record.

The Brick
and even mandarich started on the colts offensive line for multiple seasons. his contribution doesn't get recognized but he was a part of lindy infante's offenses in indy. this includes starting at the end of 1996 season and the majority of the 1997 and 1998 seasonslink pro-mandarich story after he made the colts roster entering the 1996 season

Voted Hawk for a few reasons; Great leadership on and off the field, has all the talent and instincs that make LB's great, and total dedication and desire to not just play football, but improve as well.

Brick would also be a huge surprise to me. All the right tools to go along with a solid work ethic. I have no concerns about him becoming overweight and lazy.

Mario has unbelievable talent, but I do have minor concerns about his consistency and motivation. If he stays focused, he should be fine.

Voted Hawk for a few reasons; Great leadership on and off the field, has all the talent and instincs that make LB's great, and total dedication and desire to not just play football, but improve as well.

Brick would also be a huge surprise to me. All the right tools to go along with a solid work ethic. I have no concerns about him becoming overweight and lazy.

Mario has unbelievable talent, but I do have minor concerns about his consistency and motivation. If he stays focused, he should be fine.
Nobody ever seems to want to talk about this as the Williams hype picked up in full force oever the past month or so.

Matt Leinart [ 3 ] [3.95%] Vince Young [ 4 ] [5.26%] Jay Cutler [ 0 ] [0.00%]
even if i viewed one of these QB's as, by far, the top player available...i still wouldn't vote for that QB to be the least likely to bust because history tells us otherwisehistorically, QB's bust at a very high rate. anyone who voted for one of the QB's being the least likely to bust want to explain why they voted that way?

Matt Leinart [ 3 ] [3.95%]

Vince Young [ 4 ] [5.26%]

Jay Cutler [ 0 ] [0.00%]
even if i viewed one of these QB's as, by far, the top player available...i still wouldn't vote for that QB to be the least likely to bust because history tells us otherwisehistorically, QB's bust at a very high rate. anyone who voted for one of the QB's being the least likely to bust want to explain why they voted that way?
Dlinmen supposedly have the highest bust rate of all positions... FYI.

Ferguson, but seeing as this is a FF board, for our sake, Leinart and Vernon Davis are my "safe picks".

Jay Cutler [ 0 ] [0.00%]
I voted Ferg, but as my comment shows, I see Leinart as having a low bust potential. He won't probably be an elite stats grabber, but the guy is poised, intelligent, accurate, and will probably hit a team that knows how to utilize his strengths. If somehow Houston or New Orleans takes him, I will change this opinion, but as his likely destination is Nashville, I see him having a bright future.

Matt Leinart [ 3 ]  [3.95%]

Vince Young [ 4 ]  [5.26%]

Jay Cutler [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
um, okay. i didn't imply otherwise...just that "QB's bust at a very high rate"the pool or the pond

Brick would also be a huge surprise to me.  All the right tools to go along with a solid work ethic.  I have no concerns about him becoming overweight and lazy. 

Mario has unbelievable talent, but I do have minor concerns about his consistency and motivation.  If he stays focused, he should be fine.
Nobody ever seems to want to talk about this as the Williams hype picked up in full force oever the past month or so.
Very true. I have not heard it discussed much since February. Many people get blinded by measurables and don't pay enough attention to game tape. I'm a huge fan of Mario, but I wouldn't be as surprised if he busts than I would be about a few others.

Matt Leinart [ 3 ]  [3.95%]

Vince Young [ 4 ]  [5.26%]

Jay Cutler [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I voted Ferg, but as my comment shows, I see Leinart as having a low bust potential. He won't probably be an elite stats grabber, but the guy is poised, intelligent, accurate, and will probably hit a team that knows how to utilize his strengths. If somehow Houston or New Orleans takes him, I will change this opinion, but as his likely destination is Nashville, I see him having a bright future.
fair enough. i guess that imo if the team matters to me than that player must inherently have a much higher bust potential than other players :shrug:

Jay Cutler [ 0 ] [0.00%]
fair enough. i guess that imo if the team matters to me than that player must inherently have a much higher bust potential than other players :shrug:
That's an arguable point, and I was a bit too overbroad in my statement. I won't bump Leinart in Houston down much, but if their OL doesn't improve, no QB will be successful. New Orleans, I'm sorry to say, is a bit of a mess, and the idea of another top QB sitting behind Brees isn't a good one.

Why is D'Brickashaw Ferguson considered less of a risk of being a bust than say

Robert Gallery who just 2 years ago was considered to be a can't miss prospect. RG is not a bust but he has struggled at RT and has not been the force that he was projected to be when drafted.

Robert Gallery who just 2 years ago was considered to be a can't miss prospect. RG is not a bust but he has struggled at RT and has not been the force that he was projected to be when drafted.
Is he considered less of a risk than RG was at the time of the draft?Like the Brick, many were saying SD should draft Gallery instead of Eli, or trade down for him.

Is he considered less of a risk than RG was at the time of the draft?Like the Brick, many were saying SD should draft Gallery instead of Eli, or trade down for him.
If RG could be a bust then Ferguson sure as heck can also.

If RG could be a bust then Ferguson sure as heck can also.
I know you know better, but just in case anyone else doesn't.

ANY PLAYER CAN BUST

d'brickashaw ferguson...reggie bush should have been included in this poll. he's more likely to bust in the NFL that brick imo

he has solid fundamentals and a head for the game. brick keeps his emotions from getting the best of him (reminds me of jonathan ogden actually). he won't be the next anthony munoz but he definetly will not bust. if the wheels start to fall off an offensive lineman they can always be moved to guard and at least contribute. where else can you put a QB or RB?
There are just too many Bush fanboys to make this an interesting poll with him in it (probably 50% vote for Bush). I when with Mario in a close one over D'Brick, both of which I think have very little risk. However, it came down to D'Brick needing more development to be at a Pro Bowl level and Mario seems like he is ready right now.

Very true. I have not heard it discussed much since February. Many people get blinded by measurables and don't pay enough attention to game tape. I'm a huge fan of Mario, but I wouldn't be as surprised if he busts than I would be about a few others.
This is definitely a concern but I also think it's easier to lose concentration in college than the NFL where coaches are going to get on a player regardless of who they are.

Jay Cutler [ 0 ] [0.00%]
I just looked up DE and here are the DE's picked in the top 15 the last 10 years. Ware isn't actually a DE, but was listed as one before the draft. Haynes and McDougle (who was shot) haven't performed as expected and Jamal Reynolds was a total bust. Injuries hurt Courtney Brown after a good rookie year.

Code:
2005	1	1	11	11	Demarcus Ware	Cowboys	Troy State2003	1	1	9	9	Kevin Williams	Vikings	Oklahoma State2003	2	1	10	10	Terrell Suggs	Ravens	Arizona State2003  3	1	14	14	Michael Haynes	Bears	Penn State2003  4	1	15	15	Jerome McDougle	Eagles	Miami (FL)2002	1	1	2	2	Julius Peppers	Panthers	North Carolina2002  2	1	11	11	Dwight Freeney	Colts	Syracuse2001	1	1	4	4	Justin Smith	Bengals	Missouri2001  2	1	7	7	Andre Carter	49ers	California2001  3	1	10	10	Jamal Reynolds	Packers	Florida State2000	1	1	1	1	Courtney Brown	Browns	Penn State2000  2	1	12	12	Shaun Ellis	Jets	Tennessee1998	1	1	3	3	Andre Wadsworth	Cardinals	Florida State1998  2	1	6	6	Grant Wistrom	Rams	Nebraska1998  3	1	8	8	Greg Ellis	Cowboys	North Carolina1997	1	1	4	4	Peter Boulware	Ravens	Florida State1997  2	1	14	14	Reinard Wilson	Bengals	Florida State1996	1	1	3	3	Simeon Rice	Cardinals	Illinois1996	2	1	5	5	Cedric Jones	Giants	Oklahoma1996  3	1	12	12	Regan Upshaw	Buccaneers	California

Users who are viewing this thread