What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which team finally makes it to the Super Bowl first? (1 Viewer)

Which one of these teams finally make it to a Super Bowl first?

• Cleveland Browns

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • Houston Texans

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Detroit Lions

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Jacksonville Jaguars

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters

JohnnyU

Footballguy
These teams still haven't made it to the Super Bowl:

Cleveland Browns

Houston Texans

Detroit Lions

Jacksonville Jaguars

I suppose you have to look at the front office and see which one is the best.  I suppose I have to pick the Browns because I thought they were close recently, but have since bottomed out again.

Edited:  I forgot the Jaguars.  They made it to the AFC title game 3 times I believe, but haven't made it to the big game.  I would have to consider them, but chose the Browns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always felt the texans were a pretty good culture. They play hard and they had some good pieces.  The other two cultures seem to stink
Since November 2018 when Bob McNair died, Cal McNair has been running the franchise. He is totally inept. They no longer have a good culture, and they no longer have good pieces. I think it is going to be a long time before the Texans get close to the Super Bowl (Unless they are hosting it in Houston).

Since November 2018 when Bob McNair died, Cal McNair has been running the franchise. He is totally inept. They no longer have a good culture, and they no longer have good pieces. I think it is going to be a long time before the Texans get close to the Super Bowl (Unless they are hosting it in Houston).

They are playing pretty hard this year are they not?

They are the only team on the list that seems to play better than they are.  No matter who is on the lions they just lose.  Browns the same way

I would say Browns easily but the window with this roster may be closing soon.  Mayfield has to get right or they need to bring in a top tier QB.  

They are the only team on the list that seems to play better than they are.  No matter who is on the lions they just lose.  Browns the same way
Well, there is something for playing hard, but they simply don't have any good skill players.  Watson will be gone and I don't particularly see their RBs or WRs being very good. 

Feels weird to pick my Texans as I'm frustrated to no end by them, but I'll justify.

The other choices have Bad News Bears teams and fanbases. Cleveland hoped to get over that hump this year, but that doubt every Cleveland fan is feeling about "same old Brownies" is what'll eventually likely doom this momentary blip into possibility.

I think the Jags just assume they will be bottom feeders other than their initial success out of the gate. Something about that culture doesn't seem to scream, "We're tired of being here and we're doing something about it," from an outsider perspective.

Houston's fallen on dumb times between some of BOB's dumb trades and Cal taking over the team. However, they've won the division a few times in recent years and at one point did start to build a stable base. I think they would be the first to acknowledge that the plan is to rebuild right now so it is acknowledged awfulness, but with desire and drive to get back up to competing with the Colts/Titans first and then with the other teams in the AFC.

It's hard to tell how hard they are playing when they are sooooo bad. They beat the Titans, but it was horrible weather and Tennessee was banged up on offense, causing Tannehill to force the ball and he threw 4 interceptions. I think the Lions have been playing hard for Campbell, they have lost some close games to some good teams (Ravens, Browns) and tied Pittsburgh and beat Minnesota. 

It's hard to explain how bad a coach David Culley is. He never should have been hired, but my guess is the guy I think Casserio wants to hire, Josh McDaniels,  wasn't ready to leave the Patriots yet. So Culley is an interim placeholder coaching the team until they hire McDaniels (or somebody else that Casserio wants). I will be surprised if Culley is kept for another year, but if he is, he will ensure that the Texans have high draft picks in 2023.

Lions have the picks to do a pretty nice rebuild. 
Jahvid Best, Mike Williams, Joey Harrington, and Andre Ware are no longer draft eligible and Charles Rogers passed away.   The Lions sure have had their share of busts over the years and the one pick they did right (Barry Sanders), they couldn't surround him with any talent.

I’ll go against the grain and vote jaguars, assuming they dump Meyer. 

obviously i'm biased, but i don't believe that Stefanski forgot how to coach overnight.  the Browns have a lot of injuries this year.

Berry seems to be consistently bringing in good talent, continuing that trend from Dorsey (who made a lot of mistakes, but did draft talent.)

Mayfield seems to be a controversial topic, i'm hoping he gets healthy and starts playing better.

as bad of a season as the Browns have had, there's still a slim path to the playoffs in front of them this year.  can't say that about the other three teams on this list.

Before this season I would have said the Browns but they seem to be going in the wrong direction.  They're still probably the closest though...

Houston out of this group as it is the largest city.  Talent seems to want a market to be showcased in, and vs Cleveland, Jacksonville, or Detroit, I'd think Houston is the best spot.  

Jahvid Best, Mike Williams, Joey Harrington, and Andre Ware are no longer draft eligible and Charles Rogers passed away.   The Lions sure have had their share of busts over the years and the one pick they did right (Barry Sanders), they couldn't surround him with any talent.
I would say Calvin Johnson was a pick they got right as well

I still think all of these teams will win a Super Bowl before the Vikings.  UGH!!!
I remember pulling for the Vikings over the Chiefs in SB4 because I was still an NFL guy and hated the AFL.  I watched that game and the Vikings were really never in it, regardless of the final score (23-7).  That Chiefs defense was great and their offense had the steady hand of Len Dawson and skill players such as Mike Garrett, Otis Taylor, and of course the great Jan Stenerud who kicked 3 field goals.

I'd say Jags. They seem to have good seasons every couple decades and if that aligns with a down year for the rest of the league, they could win the AFC. 

I'd say none of them get there until 2040 though. 

I'd say Jags. They seem to have good seasons every couple decades and if that aligns with a down year for the rest of the league, they could win the AFC. 

I'd say none of them get there until 2040 though. 
There is also something to be said for perceived franchise QB.

It's hard to tell how hard they are playing when they are sooooo bad. They beat the Titans, but it was horrible weather and Tennessee was banged up on offense, causing Tannehill to force the ball and he threw 4 interceptions. I think the Lions have been playing hard for Campbell, they have lost some close games to some good teams (Ravens, Browns) and tied Pittsburgh and beat Minnesota. 

It's hard to explain how bad a coach David Culley is. He never should have been hired, but my guess is the guy I think Casserio wants to hire, Josh McDaniels,  wasn't ready to leave the Patriots yet. So Culley is an interim placeholder coaching the team until they hire McDaniels (or somebody else that Casserio wants). I will be surprised if Culley is kept for another year, but if he is, he will ensure that the Texans have high draft picks in 2023.
Texans are at least positioned to rebuild well and quickly. While I have no faith in the owner and Littlefinger Easterby pulling the strings, I do think Caserio can build a capable roster in a few years and as you said Culley is just a placeholder at head coach until they can upgrade. They will have some high picks this year and next, and should be able to walk away with multiple 1sts for Watson in the off-season. They’ve jettisoned a lot of their terrible contracts and should be in a great cap position in another year once the last few bad BOB extensions can be removed. There are a few building block pieces on defense but they are really going to need to hit on their future picks as they have to find a QB, rebuild the pass rush and skill positions, and the o’line continues to be a patchwork unit needing fixing. Even with extra picks for Watson, it’s a lot of holes to fill.

Come on now, the Lions hit on a bunch of 1st round picks over the last 32 years(since Barry) 

Herman Moore was a HOF level talent, Robert Porcher was a high end starter, Luther Elliss was a high end starter, Johnnie Morton and Jeff Backus were solid starters, Roy Williams was a pro bowl talent(albeit for a short time) Calvin Johnson is a HOFer, Matthew Stafford was a high end starter, Suh was a HOF level talent, Ziggy Ansah was a pro bowl talent when healthy, even Eric Ebron(though a reach at 10) had some good years.

More recently, Taylor Decker has been a solid starter, Ragnow and Hockenson are high end starters, and Sewell looks like he's gonna be at least a high end starter. 

I'd say: Browns>Lions>>Texans>Jaguars. The Texans and Jags have very little positives right now, at least the Lions have a few, plus some extra 1st rounders. The Browns are a playoff caliber team right now, that just has had some awful injury luck. 

I voted Jax and here is why...

You generally need a good QB to make it to a Super Bowl.

The Browns are the most talented team of the 4 but have a bad QB who they will inevitably give a big contract extension to and will be stuck in mediocrity for years IMO.

The Lions and Texans both can draft QBs with an early pick but need to find the right guy and build around him which will take good time and knowledgeable people in the front office which I dont think either of them have.

The Jaguars have the young QB and a decent defense. They just need to build around the QB. I dont think Meyer is a good coach but they can quickly move on from him if needed. They just need to have the right people in the front office. Theyve been to the AFC championship game a # of times over the last 20 years and as recently as 2017 so they have a better track record than the other 3 teams.

Lions have lost a ton of close games this year

This is really tough, but I went with the Browns ASSUMING that they are a QB away and address that situation before their current window closes.

DET and HOU facing complete rebuilds and hard to back either. JAX is in a rebuild but aren't going anywhere w/ Urban Meyer.

I know, I know, it's the "Super" Bowl, and you specify that very clearly, but

I hate how the NFL whitewashes its own history in this regard. Can you imagine MLB ignoring all its World Series before 1970?

Face it, the Celeveland Browns won the NFL in

and 1964

So in my opinion, they don't belong in this list. Nor do the Detroit Lions, who won the NFL in:

and 1957

Two franchises with terrific histories. (I know, making their recent irrelevance all the more difficult to take, especially the for the poor Browns with Art Modell, etc.)

Start a poll about who wins one first. By my count there are 12 teams they haven’t. Arizona, Buffalo and Tennessee are the only serious contenders to do so this year. 

Edit: I guess Arizona would dominate the poll as of today but you could argue Buffalo or Chargers too. 

I know, I know, it's the "Super" Bowl, and you specify that very clearly, but

I hate how the NFL whitewashes its own history in this regard. Can you imagine MLB ignoring all its World Series before 1970?

Face it, the Celeveland Browns won the NFL in

and 1964

So in my opinion, they don't belong in this list. Nor do the Detroit Lions, who won the NFL in:

and 1957

Two franchises with terrific histories. (I know, making their recent irrelevance all the more difficult to take, especially the for the poor Browns with Art Modell, etc.)
There were two leagues prior to the Super Bowl era

Before this season I would have said the Browns but they seem to be going in the wrong direction.  They're still probably the closest though...
The “closest” doesn’t necessarily matter as there’s no way they’re winning the Super Bowl this season. They’ll soon be forced to either way overpay Mayfield (who is an average at best QB) or start over again at QB. 

I went with the Jaguars as Meyers will be gone soon and Lawrence has the ability to be an elite QB under a better regime.

Users who are viewing this thread