What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which team had the worst receiving corps in 2015? (1 Viewer)

Worst WR Corps of 2015

• Panthers

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • Ravens

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • Browns

Votes: 34 28.3%
  • 49ers

Votes: 16 13.3%
  • Eagles

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Titans

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • Other

Votes: 6 5.0%

• Total voters
fantasycurse42 said:
Might as well include OL since the protection is a huge factor here too. Punt returner important as well to determine field position.
Let's not get ridiculous. Plenty of these QBs do it all on their own.

The question is fine as is. If the op was wondering about offensive talent he would have asked about offensive talent

I think people are letting Ted Ginn's end of year numbers repress the memory that he dropped about half a dozen touchdowns. Newton worked wonders with those scrubs, but the Panthers' WRs are awful.

I think people are letting Ted Ginn's end of year numbers repress the memory that he dropped about half a dozen touchdowns. Newton worked wonders with those scrubs, but the Panthers' WRs are awful.
Somewhat relevant aside: Four guys from our neighborhood usually get together during the season to watch Sunday Ticket with our 9-year-old sons.  It only took until November for my son and his friend to nickname Ginn "The Seal" because every time they saw a pass go his way, he treated it like a circus seal treats a ball.  :lmao:

It was high comedy during the Super Bowl party watching this group of 9-year-old kids in front of the TV making seal noises every time Ginn flashed on screen.

This is where I am... I'd take Benjamin and Hartline over what the Panthers put out there.

Looking at the voting, it appears FBG users have the Browns as the cleat cut worst and the debate for two is between the Panthers and Ravens.

Wow.  That is a really tough choice to make.  So many terrible groups of WRs but I had to go with the Browns.  I think the Packers could have been on that list without Nelson.  Cobb isn't that great of a WR1.
Cobb is Jerry Rice compared to the other options listed.

Cobb is Jerry Rice compared to the other options listed.
I would've thought that going into this season but I think he is on the decline.  I wasn't all that impressed by him this year.  But the other options are much worse, you're right.

DGB was Titans top WR with 549 yards. Also the high with a whopping four TDs.

Titans were worst WR corps

DGB was Titans top WR with 549 yards. Also the high with a whopping four TDs.

Titans were worst WR corps
Are you going by the stats they put up or the actual talent they have?  I think their stats are more reflective of who they had for a QB and OL.  I'd rather have Wright and DGB than what those other teams have.

Are you going by the stats they put up or the actual talent they have?  I think their stats are more reflective of who they had for a QB and OL.  I'd rather have Wright and DGB than what those other teams have.
current talent, not potential

You're mistaking "talent" with "production".  DGB has far more talent than anyone almost anyone else in his draft class.
Eh I think the op was asking about who which team has the "worst" receiving corps this year. DGB was not a good receiver this year. In fact, he was much worse than that. Talent being a proxy descriptor for current skill etc.

Everyone in the NFL is talented and when WRs struggle to get 500 yards there's really no excuse or reasoning that can make them seem better than they are.

Mariota has as nice an arm and head combo as we've seen on any rook. Mett has Jeff George's arm. We're not discussing 'good' or anything even in that realm with 500 yards. Wright hasn't been productive in 3 years. Whisenhunt crushed every WR.

Thus far DGB isn't all that different from Hunter. I'm not one with a short memory that forgot how he was a first rounder with all these measurables too. He, not Hunter, is the rook and he gets the exception as such. He's also more of a freak than Hunter in the physicality sense. 

Talent wise they are probably as good as most any WR corps. How many 1st and 2nd rounders? Douglas as 4th WR (would be) nice too. On paper, no D has the size n speed of two corners to keep up with Hunter and DGB and then a shifty speedy quick corner to stick on Wright. CB is rather weak in the NFL right now but still they are prime talents or clydesdales or whatever. 

Whisenhunt had the top FB and RB from a draft, a 1st round WR and two 2nd round WRs, two first round QBs, and Walker who led the league in some TE stats. Most coaches would give their left hand for that type of young talent. Instead most are considered busts and one QB even went and retired.

Add Antonio Andrews' gaudy college stats or Tre McBride's pre-draft praise...whew was Whis one of the biggest busts of a head coach. 

If, like many, you say Mike Williams (Lions) was one of the worst NFL WRs well then this Titans WR corps is right on that track.

I'm not a Mularkey fan or a fan of continuing squat. That said their WR coach and OC are very good WR coaches to hire. They may (idk) keep their CFL WR coach from last year too and he was impressive in the CFL. Mularkey is a former NFL TE himself. They DID add the coaching necessary to succeed at that position. However Mularkey has appeared to want to field a team of 53 TEs. He is very concerning. 

Moulds and Lee Evans

Hines and Plax

There is prior success to look toward but I feel like if he's not saying Whis did "everything" wrong then he is just spinning his wheels. We shall see I guess

Everyone in the NFL is talented and when WRs struggle to get 500 yards there's really no excuse or reasoning that can make them seem better than they are.
I really disagree with this. There is a lot of reasoning to explain the poor production, but first of all I'm not trying to say the WR corps was good, just not the absolute worst. Here is some reasoning for the poor WR performance: dysfunctional team that fired the head coach mid-season, rookie starting QB, injured starting QB, backup QBs played significant snaps, relatively low pass attempts, no WR got more than 72 targets.

massraider said:
Oh, for pete's sake.

I'll take the less talented WR that produces more.  I'll do that every time.  

Usually the less talented WR that produces more does so because of a great QB or other players surrounding him.  The more talented WR that doesn't produce is usually because of a crappy QB and players around him.  So now we're just getting into overall team talent.

Usually the less talented WR that produces more does so because of a great QB or other players surrounding him.  The more talented WR that doesn't produce is usually because of a crappy QB and players around him.  So now we're just getting into overall team talent.
Some less talented WRs produce more because they work at their craft, run better routes, have better concentration, and have more desire than the next guy.  

Steve Smith, Jerry Rice, Antonio Brown, Isaac Bruce.  No one would say they had the most talent. 

Some less talented WRs produce more because they work at their craft, run better routes, have better concentration, and have more desire than the next guy.  

Steve Smith, Jerry Rice, Antonio Brown, Isaac Bruce.  No one would say they had the most talent. 

Well not as a rookie but they sure did after a few years.  I suppose it's important to factor in how long some of these WRs have been in the league.

This is getting pedantic, but are you confusing talent with potential and/or natural gifts? The intent behind the word talent, in the case of this topic, is to determine who was good and bad this past year. If a guy has less natural gifts, but works hard to become, for the intents of a QB, a talented wide receiver football player then, for the sake of the question in the OP, that was the level of talent he brought to the WR corps this year.

And as Hawkeye implied, production is a factor of both talent and opportunity. A good QB can get more production out of lesser talent at WR.

My stance remains: the Carolina WRs were the worst WR corps, but opportunity led to a decent amount of production. The Browns WRs were a little better, but lesser QB play, so their production was less.

But Carolina, Cleveland, and Tennessee all had some terrible WRs. Not a lot of separation between them in this competition for worst. Luckily they all had some pretty good TEs.

This is getting pedantic, but are you confusing talent with potential and/or natural gifts? The intent behind the word talent, in the case of this topic, is to determine who was good and bad this past year. If a guy has less natural gifts, but works hard to become, for the intents of a QB, a talented wide receiver football player then, for the sake of the question in the OP, that was the level of talent he brought to the WR corps this year.

And as Hawkeye implied, production is a factor of both talent and opportunity. A good QB can get more production out of lesser talent at WR.

My stance remains: the Carolina WRs were the worst WR corps, but opportunity led to a decent amount of production. The Browns WRs were a little better, but lesser QB play, so their production was less.

But Carolina, Cleveland, and Tennessee all had some terrible WRs. Not a lot of separation between them in this competition for worst. Luckily they all had some pretty good TEs.
My comment was more based on the god-like myth that poor Green-Beckham is dragging around.  

I agree that Carolina has the worst.  Nice work by Ginn to help out this year, but if the Panthers acquired another WR this offseason, he might not get any playing time.  The rest are fillier, and all are replaceable.  If the Panthers find a slot guy, Ginn could be their 4th WR next year.  

Browns at least had a guy in Hartline that had been decent before, and a good player, it looks like, in Benjamin.  

My comment was more based on the god-like myth that poor Green-Beckham is dragging around.  

I agree that Carolina has the worst.  Nice work by Ginn to help out this year, but if the Panthers acquired another WR this offseason, he might not get any playing time.  The rest are fillier, and all are replaceable.  If the Panthers find a slot guy, Ginn could be their 4th WR next year.  

Browns at least had a guy in Hartline that had been decent before, and a good player, it looks like, in Benjamin.  
I'm guessing Ginn was guilty of at least 5 of the 6 drops mentioned in this article: http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/17891/panthers-qb-cam-newton-is-leading-the-nfl-in-deep-throw-accuracy

Given Ginn's success this year, I'd really like to see Mike Wallace go to Carolina (he will inevitably get cut from Minnesota). He shouldn't cost too much, would fit that role, and can catch the ball. I think Rishard Matthews would be a nice slot guy for that team. They have the cap space. If they don't make a WR acquisition then there's something wrong. Benjamin is overrated, IMO.

Agree about Benjamin.  I have him in a dynasty, and trying to move him.  I'm not sold on Funchess either, come to think of it.  

FF Ninja said:
I really disagree with this. There is a lot of reasoning to explain the poor production, but first of all I'm not trying to say the WR corps was good, just not the absolute worst. Here is some reasoning for the poor WR performance: dysfunctional team that fired the head coach mid-season, rookie starting QB, injured starting QB, backup QBs played significant snaps, relatively low pass attempts, no WR got more than 72 targets.
I rambled, no doubt but this is a generous snip to prove your point. I did point out a first and two second rounders and in the end Mike Williams of the Lions. 

The post following you wrote this is pedantic.

It's like one way you're rolling with production and the other talent, whichever suits your counterargument

I rambled, no doubt but this is a generous snip to prove your point. I did point out a first and two second rounders and in the end Mike Williams of the Lions. 

The post following you wrote this is pedantic.

It's like one way you're rolling with production and the other talent, whichever suits your counterargument
That's not accurate at all. I felt like you were saying the lack of production proves there was no talent on Tennessee and I was saying there were a lot of extenuating circumstances that resulted in the lack of production beyond the talent at WR. It was not a generous snip at all... it seemed like that first line summed up your entire post so I didn't copy it all. I generally agree with you that TEN has bad WRs. I just didn't agree with the premise that their lack of production proves the point. TEN was a clusterf*** last year.

The debate about what the word "talent" meant (which you were not involved in) is what I was saying was getting pedantic. It had nothing to do with your post.

I'm not really sure what counterargument you think I'm presenting. My point is just that bad WRs are bad WRs. I don't think production should factor in since production has way too much to do with circumstance (system, OL, QB, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread