What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which team will get the big calls from the zebras? (1 Viewer)

Pick!

• Total voters
Two of SF's most important scoring opportunities, with the game on the line, ended with the refs looking the other way.A two-point conversion to tie the game...where offsides/encroachment was not called.And a PI/holding no-call...that was clearly beyond 5 yards.Pats, Steelers, etc would've got at least one of those calls, if not both.HTH.
That PI/Holding you talk of could of been called on Crabtree for pushing off. Thats why it was a good no call

Two of SF's most important scoring opportunities, with the game on the line, ended with the refs looking the other way.A two-point conversion to tie the game...where offsides/encroachment was not called.And a PI/holding no-call...that was clearly beyond 5 yards.Pats, Steelers, etc would've got at least one of those calls, if not both.HTH.
Could have just as easily called offensive PI on SF for pushing off on the play...

The Reed was debatable and the non call on downfield contact wasn't flagged all game long, despite a few Niners players blatantly doing it.

I don't have a dog in this fight and it was obvious at the end that the refs looked the other way and hard core proof will be coming soon! Man, this game has truly missed up the way I view the game.Tex

I thought the third down at the end of the game was a much worse no call. It was clearly a helmet to helmet hit. This was textbook.

I thought the third down at the end of the game was a much worse no call. It was clearly a helmet to helmet hit. This was textbook.
:goodposting: That was a big one, and the reason he dropped the ball (although he wouldn't have scored).The Reed offsides one on the 2 point conversion, as I said earlier, was a good no call; he just timed it perfectly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two of SF's most important scoring opportunities, with the game on the line, ended with the refs looking the other way.

A two-point conversion to tie the game...where offsides/encroachment was not called.

And a PI/holding no-call...that was clearly beyond 5 yards.

Pats, Steelers, etc would've got at least one of those calls, if not both.

HTH.
That PI/Holding you talk of could of been called on Crabtree for pushing off. Thats why it was a good no call
You confuse pushing off - with trying to get free, 3 yards after the fact. Did anybody really think SF would get the big (non) calls?

Two of SF's most important scoring opportunities, with the game on the line, ended with the refs looking the other way.

A two-point conversion to tie the game...where offsides/encroachment was not called.

And a PI/holding no-call...that was clearly beyond 5 yards.

Pats, Steelers, etc would've got at least one of those calls, if not both.

HTH.
You confuse pushing off - with trying to get free, 3 yards after the fact. Did anybody really think SF would get the big (non) calls?
Yeah, like a phantom foul for a kicker diving or a hit 2 yards out of bounds, or several illegal contact non calls, or block in the back non call on a Gore run, or Crantree pushing off on 2nd down.. . Can't believe the Niners had nothing like that go in their favor!

The Niners' last three offensive plays all should have been penalties on Baltimore, but that doesn't change that Jim Harbaugh should have pounded the ball for five yards with one of the top running QBs, RBs and O-lines in the NFL rather than putting the Super Bowl on the arm of the second-year QB who has a 51.4 completion percentage in the red zone.

Horrible officiating to "help" the Ravens beat the Broncos, Pats & 49ers. Read the old threads yourself.What really kills me is Cary Williams shoved an official with both hands. Every other time I have seen that, the player was tossed. Here, no-call.Sorry, but something stinks.

Personally, I think the refs did an outstanding job. They were consistant in their calls, and kept things under control as well as could be expected in a highly emotional contest. Well done! :thumbup:

Now how many of you have said "Let them play" and are now here in whine mode?Best officiated SB I've seen. Let them play and they did...hell of a job by the refs yesterday! :thumbup:

Now how many of you have said "Let them play" and are now here in whine mode?Best officiated SB I've seen. Let them play and they did...hell of a job by the refs yesterday! :thumbup:
"Let them play" <> "Ignore the rules"Pushing a ref = ejection and an unsportsmanlike penaltyHolding more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage = 5 yards (1/2 the distance to the goal) + automatic first down. Jim Harbaugh criticized the refs after the game. Not because he's a whiner; because it unjustly changed the outcome of the game.Crabtree said he was being held and interfered with all game. Having watched the game, I agree. You can't call games one way all season, then allow what should be penalties to go uncalled in the Super Bowl.I have no dog in this fight, but this kind of thing should be discussed. Calling someone a whiner for expressing disappointment that a game was unfairly called really adds nothing to the discussion. If you have a valid point, make it, but don't attack someone personally for expressing their viewpoint.

Those that voted the ravens won
Meh, it was pretty even the whole game. No egregious misses, other than the Akers flop, and the Niners have no room to complain after they "stopped" Atlanta on 4th down to win the game in the exact same manner.
:goodposting: Yep the was borderline pass interference on Bowman that the refs let go. So no there is no conspiracy against the 49ers.

Now how many of you have said "Let them play" and are now here in whine mode?

Best officiated SB I've seen. Let them play and they did...hell of a job by the refs yesterday! :thumbup:
"Let them play" <> "Ignore the rules"Pushing a ref = ejection and an unsportsmanlike penalty

Holding more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage = 5 yards (1/2 the distance to the goal) + automatic first down. Jim Harbaugh criticized the refs after the game. Not because he's a whiner; because it unjustly changed the outcome of the game.

Crabtree said he was being held and interfered with all game. Having watched the game, I agree. You can't call games one way all season, then allow what should be penalties to go uncalled in the Super Bowl.

I have no dog in this fight, but this kind of thing should be discussed. Calling someone a whiner for expressing disappointment that a game was unfairly called really adds nothing to the discussion. If you have a valid point, make it, but don't attack someone personally for expressing their viewpoint.
It seems that historically Defenses get away with more contact in the postseason vs the regular season. Could be they don't want to dictate the outcome of a teams season based on one call they make.

Crabtree was pushing off because he was being held. It should have been PI. Even if they both committed penalties, they should have been called. The result would have been to replay fourth down. Pretty much every post I've read either says it was holding/PI or it was holding/PI + pushing off by Crabtree. Either way, one or two penalties should have been called.

"Let them play" <> "Ignore the rules"Pushing a ref = ejection and an unsportsmanlike penaltyHolding more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage = 5 yards (1/2 the distance to the goal) + automatic first down. Jim Harbaugh criticized the refs after the game. Not because he's a whiner; because it unjustly changed the outcome of the game.Crabtree said he was being held and interfered with all game. Having watched the game, I agree. You can't call games one way all season, then allow what should be penalties to go uncalled in the Super Bowl.I have no dog in this fight, but this kind of thing should be discussed. Calling someone a whiner for expressing disappointment that a game was unfairly called really adds nothing to the discussion. If you have a valid point, make it, but don't attack someone personally for expressing their viewpoint.
You seem like one of those sensative types. In the nicest way possible, please grow a pair and read what I wrote better. I never attacked...I just asked the ones who usually say "Let them play" that are now whining to step forward. Congrats on being the first :thumbup:

Best officiated SB I've seen. Let them play and they did...hell of a job by the refs yesterday! :thumbup:
"Let them play" <> "Ignore the rules"Pushing a ref = ejection and an unsportsmanlike penalty

Holding more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage = 5 yards (1/2 the distance to the goal) + automatic first down. Jim Harbaugh criticized the refs after the game. Not because he's a whiner; because it unjustly changed the outcome of the game.

Crabtree said he was being held and interfered with all game. Having watched the game, I agree. You can't call games one way all season, then allow what should be penalties to go uncalled in the Super Bowl.

I have no dog in this fight, but this kind of thing should be discussed. Calling someone a whiner for expressing disappointment that a game was unfairly called really adds nothing to the discussion. If you have a valid point, make it, but don't attack someone personally for expressing their viewpoint.
It seems that historically Defenses get away with more contact in the postseason vs the regular season. Could be they don't want to dictate the outcome of a teams season based on one call they make.
So, is it OK to dictate the outcome of a team's season based on one call the DON'T make?

So many butt hurt 49ers fans. Cry us a river...just as many no calls went your way as well. Your tears taste so good

You seem like one of those sensative types. In the nicest way possible, please grow a pair and read what I wrote better. I never attacked...I just asked the ones who usually say "Let them play" that are now whining to step forward. Congrats on being the first :thumbup:
Sensitivity has nothing to do with being able to identify a logical fallacy, i.e. "attacking the person". I'll help you with the meaning. Stating things like "grow a pair" or calling someone a whiner have absolutely nothing to do with the discussion and are poor tactics often used by those that have difficulty formulating an argument.

Sensitivity has nothing to do with being able to identify a logical fallacy, i.e. "attacking the person". I'll help you with the meaning. Stating things like "grow a pair" or calling someone a whiner have absolutely nothing to do with the discussion and are poor tactics often used by those that have difficulty formulating an argument.
:lmao:

By far the worst call of the game, although it had no impact, had to be the at the end when the Ravens were purposely and blatantly holding when punting out of their own endzone to run time off the clock. It would have still resulted in a safety and the time off the clock would have still been wasted, but how in the world do the refs not throw the flag? :shock: :shock:

So, is it OK to dictate the outcome of a team's season based on one call the DON'T make?
Not when the NFL is consistent in this stance year in and year out in the playoffs. Think back to New England(when they won Super Bowls) Ty Law and company mugged WRs. If not, Indy/Rams would've easily beaten them.

Not when the NFL is consistent in this stance year in and year out in the playoffs. Think back to New England(when they won Super Bowls) Ty Law and company mugged WRs. If not, Indy/Rams would've easily beaten them.
I really haven't seen it that way. There have been plenty of PI calls every post season. Further, I feel the regular season and playoff games should be called the same. Otherwise, it's kind of a different game.ETA: Yes, I do recall Ty Lay mugging WRs, but I recall far fewer games when that was tolerated than when it wasn't.

Crabtree was pushing off because he was being held. It should have been PI. Even if they both committed penalties, they should have been called. The result would have been to replay fourth down. Pretty much every post I've read either says it was holding/PI or it was holding/PI + pushing off by Crabtree. Either way, one or two penalties should have been called.
Wow! Are you new to the NFL??? This is how the game is played these days. The DB gets a jam, can maintain continuous contact, the WR tries to get separation, the pass comes in (near to the play from an experienced QB making big $$$), and the possession battle ensues. Man, this is just NFL football.

The Niners' last three offensive plays all should have been penalties on Baltimore, but that doesn't change that Jim Harbaugh should have pounded the ball for five yards with one of the top running QBs, RBs and O-lines in the NFL rather than putting the Super Bowl on the arm of the second-year QB who has a 51.4 completion percentage in the red zone.
Actually, 2nd down should have been OPI on Crabtree since he stuck his arm out and pushed off against the defender to make his cut. Also, they would've had to call that last series differently than they did the rest of the game (including letting Niners do it all game too). But thanks for the insight.

Horrible officiating to "help" the Ravens beat the Broncos, Pats & 49ers. Read the old threads yourself.

What really kills me is Cary Williams shoved an official with both hands. Every other time I have seen that, the player was tossed. Here, no-call.

Sorry, but something stinks.
You must've missed it when Cam Newton did it a few weeks ago. Same ref, same no call.

And Crabtree got away with OPI on that last 2nd down, while Culliver got away with every DB penalty in the books all game long. It wasn't unfairly called, it was loosely called. More importantly, it was about as conisistetnly called as is humanly possible. Ticky tack PI calls weren't made the whole game long, and SF is just as guilty of a bevy of them as Bal was. By the 4th quarter, the teams know that it's being called loose (which is why Crabbsy didn't get a flag on him). If the refs called the last drive different than the rest of the game, then I could see complaints, but they stayed with the plan they did all game long... let the players play. I find it exceptionally silly for Niners fans to cry foul about it when a) they wouldn't be in the SB if not for the same no-call and b) Crabtree and CUlliver both got away with it themselves. It certainly could've been a flag, and in tightly called games it should've been, but no flag was conisistent with the rest of the game, SF had two of the worst bad calls go their way, and they didn't mind the flag staying in the pocket in Atlanta. Tough loss, but the refs were as even and consistent as can be.

By far the worst call of the game, although it had no impact, had to be the at the end when the Ravens were purposely and blatantly holding when punting out of their own endzone to run time off the clock. It would have still resulted in a safety and the time off the clock would have still been wasted, but how in the world do the refs not throw the flag? :shock: :shock:
Why throw it if it's completely useless?

Horrible officiating to "help" the Ravens beat the Broncos, Pats & 49ers. Read the old threads yourself.

What really kills me is Cary Williams shoved an official with both hands. Every other time I have seen that, the player was tossed. Here, no-call.

You must've missed it when Cam Newton did it a few weeks ago. Same ref, same no call.
Watched every minute of every Panther game this year and I missed where Cam shoved anyone like Williams did :link:

First, it didn't seem to bother the Niners in Atlanta that that's what happened and second, it wasn't one call, it was the whole game's worth of calls. They let WRs and DBs battle all game long, why change the way it's called for the last drive?

Watched every minute of every Panther game this year and I missed where Cam shoved anyone like Williams did :link:
I'd imagine then you know what incident I am talking about. I'm not claiming that the incidents are 100% parallel, but Newton could've been tossed for that and wasn't.

I'd imagine then you know what incident I am talking about. I'm not claiming that the incidents are 100% parallel, but Newton could've been tossed for that and wasn't.
I've seen players tossed for bumping refs yes, but that incident being used as an example of the same thing that happened last night is not really apples to apples. I'm with the guy above. I've never seen a guy shove a ref and not get tossed. With Cam, I've seen guys get tossed for what he did, others not, some fined etc.

"There is no discretion; contact with an official should always result in an ejection."LinkThe fact that the ref made the mistake earlier in the year makes it highly likely that he was informed that the player should be tossed. The fact that he ignored the rule in the Super Bowl really shouldn't be ignored.

"There is no discretion; contact with an official should always result in an ejection."LinkThe fact that the ref made the mistake earlier in the year makes it highly likely that he was informed that the player should be tossed. The fact that he ignored the rule in the Super Bowl really shouldn't be ignored.
I wasn;t really making the argument that he shouldn't have been tossed, just that it happened very recently.

Personally, I think the refs did an outstanding job. They were consistant in their calls, and kept things under control as well as could be expected in a highly emotional contest. Well done! :thumbup:
:goodposting:
Was going to post something very similar to these 2. I much rather have the refs let them play over them throwing flags every play. There were a lot of penalties let go that would have been called in the regular season. How many holding calls did the refs ignore late in the game? I saw a Ravens defender get tackled from behind during a Gore run that I thought for sure would draw a flag.Good game by the refs...much more enjoyable game to watch than the flag-fest it could have been if they wanted to insert themselves into the game. The game did not hinge on one or two plays and the better team won imo.

Um, if they see a hold, they still have to throw it.

Um, apparently not since, um, there wasn't a single hold called on the, um, OL of either team all game. Um, do you think that they didn't see any, um, holds the whole game? Um, what would be the point of, um, throwing a flag on that play and then announcing that the play that ended in an, um, safety would end in an, um, safety? It affected nothing whatsoever and, um, would only give, um, the ref another 30 seconds of airtime with absolutely, um, zero affect on the outcome of the play. Why, um, bother?

Um, apparently not since, um, there wasn't a single hold called on the, um, OL of either team all game. Um, do you think that they didn't see any, um, holds the whole game? Um, what would be the point of, um, throwing a flag on that play and then announcing that the play that ended in an, um, safety would end in an, um, safety? It affected nothing whatsoever and, um, would only give, um, the ref another 30 seconds of airtime with absolutely, um, zero affect on the outcome of the play. Why, um, bother?
if it's a hold it should be called regardless of whether the outcome of the play will likely be the same with or without the penalty. Same reason the officials called Smith and Brooks offside earlier in the game knowing full well that at least 1 of those penalties would have to be declined.

if it's a hold it should be called regardless of whether the outcome of the play will likely be the same with or without the penalty. Same reason the officials called Smith and Brooks offside earlier in the game knowing full well that at least 1 of those penalties would have to be declined.
Yeah I agree. If its a penalty they call it regardless of its effect on the game, or in this case no effect at all. And we are all dumber for having to read through mad sweeney's post.

I don't get how the blatant helmet to helmet hit on crabtree on 3rd down, didn't get called? that was unreal imo. granted he wasn't going to score, but it's why he dropped the ball and that was called all year long.

What are you even talking about? Refs have to throw the flag. They don't get to throw flags only if it will affect the outcome of the play. This isn't difficult to understand.

I don't get how the blatant helmet to helmet hit on crabtree on 3rd down, didn't get called? that was unreal imo. granted he wasn't going to score, but it's why he dropped the ball and that was called all year long.
Yeah when you watch it back it could easily have been called. But by no means is that the reason he dropped the ball.

So the no call on the Crabtree play cost SF the game, yet the no call on the Torrey Smith long ball isn't even mentioned? Guy was grabbed and touched beyond the 5 yards on a ball that would have resulted in a TD as well yet nobody seems to be talking about that call. Calls were missed both ways and the refs let them play on both sides. I.e. both sides got away with a ton and nobody tunes in to watch the SB become a flag fest. One of my biggest gripes with the NFL is it turning flag happy in the pass game. This was a welcome change.

Users who are viewing this thread