What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which team will get the big calls from the zebras? (2 Viewers)

Pick!

• Total voters
So the no call on the Crabtree play cost SF the game, yet the no call on the Torrey Smith long ball isn't even mentioned? Guy was grabbed and touched beyond the 5 yards on a ball that would have resulted in a TD as well yet nobody seems to be talking about that call.

Calls were missed both ways and the refs let them play on both sides. I.e. both sides got away with a ton and nobody tunes in to watch the SB become a flag fest. One of my biggest gripes with the NFL is it turning flag happy in the pass game. This was a welcome change.
Absolutely. The db clearly grabbed Smiths side and pulled him back, who knows if its even a game if that gets called. But you only see what you want.

By far the worst call of the game, although it had no impact, had to be the at the end when the Ravens were purposely and blatantly holding when punting out of their own endzone to run time off the clock. It would have still resulted in a safety and the time off the clock would have still been wasted, but how in the world do the refs not throw the flag? :shock: :shock:
Yeah, three Ravens had their opponent in a bear hug.Really the biggest non-call of the game was on the Jones kickoff return for a TD.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhJjCk6H2c8Check on the block in the back 5-6 secs into this video.

I thought we saw replacement level refing last night.Simms or Nantz made a comment about the head ref being a controversial selection. Anyone have the back story on this?

And if we had this level of scrutiny at every game, we'd come up with similar qualms. Holding on every play, contact between the DB and WR, etc.

So the no call on the Crabtree play cost SF the game, yet the no call on the Torrey Smith long ball isn't even mentioned? Guy was grabbed and touched beyond the 5 yards on a ball that would have resulted in a TD as well yet nobody seems to be talking about that call.
:goodposting: That was probably a worse no call that the one at the end.

Now how many of you have said "Let them play" and are now here in whine mode?

Best officiated SB I've seen. Let them play and they did...hell of a job by the refs yesterday! :thumbup:
"Let them play" <> "Ignore the rules"Pushing a ref = ejection and an unsportsmanlike penalty

Holding more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage = 5 yards (1/2 the distance to the goal) + automatic first down. Jim Harbaugh criticized the refs after the game. Not because he's a whiner; because it unjustly changed the outcome of the game.

Crabtree said he was being held and interfered with all game. Having watched the game, I agree. You can't call games one way all season, then allow what should be penalties to go uncalled in the Super Bowl.

I have no dog in this fight, but this kind of thing should be discussed. Calling someone a whiner for expressing disappointment that a game was unfairly called really adds nothing to the discussion. If you have a valid point, make it, but don't attack someone personally for expressing their viewpoint.
I never thought I would ever read anything like that. Jim Harbaugh whines on every single play. He would have whined about pass interference if the guy breathed on him. No one takes him seriously when he rants about the officiating because he does it on every play. The guy really loses credibility.

By far the worst call of the game, although it had no impact, had to be the at the end when the Ravens were purposely and blatantly holding when punting out of their own endzone to run time off the clock. It would have still resulted in a safety and the time off the clock would have still been wasted, but how in the world do the refs not throw the flag? :shock: :shock:
Yeah, three Ravens had their opponent in a bear hug.Really the biggest non-call of the game was on the Jones kickoff return for a TD.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhJjCk6H2c8Check on the block in the back 5-6 secs into this video.
I don't see it. What was the number of the guy who got blocked in the back?

I can't see the whole number because there's a guy pushing him in the back where the number is.

I can't see the whole number because there's a guy pushing him in the back where the number is.
You're not talking about the guy who's getting double teamed and turns around to try and escape the block are you?

Why throw it if it's completely useless?
Um, if they see a hold, they still have to throw it.
Um, apparently not since, um, there wasn't a single hold called on the, um, OL of either team all game. Um, do you think that they didn't see any, um, holds the whole game? Um, what would be the point of, um, throwing a flag on that play and then announcing that the play that ended in an, um, safety would end in an, um, safety? It affected nothing whatsoever and, um, would only give, um, the ref another 30 seconds of airtime with absolutely, um, zero affect on the outcome of the play. Why, um, bother?
if it's a hold it should be called regardless of whether the outcome of the play will likely be the same with or without the penalty. Same reason the officials called Smith and Brooks offside earlier in the game knowing full well that at least 1 of those penalties would have to be declined.
It doesn't matter if they flag it or not. It doesn't affect anything. Everybody but Jimmay knows this. Refs let a lot of flags go unthrown at the end of games knowing that it doesn't affect the outcome in any way, shape or form.As for your example, it's not comparable at all. Two different refs threw two different flags on two different players simultaneously. It wasn't possible for one of them to say "Oh, the other guy threw it so this one is redundant". On the safety, all the refs knew that throwing a flag was 100% inconsequential.

Um, apparently not since, um, there wasn't a single hold called on the, um, OL of either team all game. Um, do you think that they didn't see any, um, holds the whole game? Um, what would be the point of, um, throwing a flag on that play and then announcing that the play that ended in an, um, safety would end in an, um, safety? It affected nothing whatsoever and, um, would only give, um, the ref another 30 seconds of airtime with absolutely, um, zero affect on the outcome of the play. Why, um, bother?
if it's a hold it should be called regardless of whether the outcome of the play will likely be the same with or without the penalty. Same reason the officials called Smith and Brooks offside earlier in the game knowing full well that at least 1 of those penalties would have to be declined.
Yeah I agree. If its a penalty they call it regardless of its effect on the game, or in this case no effect at all. And we are all dumber for having to read through mad sweeney's post.
Yeah, like they throw all those OL holding calls all game, every game. Good point. Refs have discretion. These holds didn't affect the outcome one teensy, tiny iota. Why waste the time?

What are you even talking about? Refs have to throw the flag. They don't get to throw flags only if it will affect the outcome of the play. This isn't difficult to understand.
Apparently every single ref on the field didn't get your memo. See above about OL holding. Why waste the time explaining that you threw a useless flag that doesn't affect anything?

Lots of bad and no-calls, but IMO it did not affect the outcome. Baltimore was the better team last night.

Now how many of you have said "Let them play" and are now here in whine mode?

Best officiated SB I've seen. Let them play and they did...hell of a job by the refs yesterday! :thumbup:
"Let them play" <> "Ignore the rules"Pushing a ref = ejection and an unsportsmanlike penalty

Holding more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage = 5 yards (1/2 the distance to the goal) + automatic first down. Jim Harbaugh criticized the refs after the game. Not because he's a whiner; because it unjustly changed the outcome of the game.

Crabtree said he was being held and interfered with all game. Having watched the game, I agree. You can't call games one way all season, then allow what should be penalties to go uncalled in the Super Bowl.

I have no dog in this fight, but this kind of thing should be discussed. Calling someone a whiner for expressing disappointment that a game was unfairly called really adds nothing to the discussion. If you have a valid point, make it, but don't attack someone personally for expressing their viewpoint.
I never thought I would ever read anything like that. Jim Harbaugh whines on every single play. He would have whined about pass interference if the guy breathed on him. No one takes him seriously when he rants about the officiating because he does it on every play. The guy really loses credibility.
And his guys (including Crabtree, also last week on ATL's 4th down play) got away with it just as much as the Ravens did.

What are you even talking about? Refs have to throw the flag. They don't get to throw flags only if it will affect the outcome of the play. This isn't difficult to understand.
Apparently every single ref on the field didn't get your memo. See above about OL holding. Why waste the time explaining that you threw a useless flag that doesn't affect anything?
You cant honestly think that a ref would just ignore a call because he thinks "eh, wont matter anyways". Maybe he wont be looking for it, but I doubt they just look the other way after seeing it.

You cant honestly think that a ref would just ignore a call because he thinks "eh, wont matter anyways". Maybe he wont be looking for it, but I doubt they just look the other way after seeing it.
Yes, sometimes they do, though in very rare occasions. I think that's the only conclusion based on not flagging the numerous blatant holds on that safety.

You're not talking about the guy who's getting double teamed and turns around to try and escape the block are you?
LOL at two guys bear-hugging #49 being dismissed as a harmless "double team". Yeah, no holding there. :lmao:

LOL at two guys bear-hugging #49 being dismissed as a harmless "double team". Yeah, no holding there. :lmao:
Still LOL on people who actually believe the refs had no part in the outcome of this game. :rolleyes:

You're reaching here. The ref can't be sure of the outcome of the play at that time anyway. What if the punter fumbles the ball, and it gets picked by his teammate who runs for a first down? Bottom line is the refs either didn't see it or they were just "letting them play" to a ridiculous extent, either of which is embarrassing.

Users who are viewing this thread