What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which would you rather be? (1 Viewer)

Which would you rather be?

• Heismann winner, never drafted

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Decent player in college, mid level pick, play a couple games in the NFL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

-OZ-

Footballguy
Obviously the first option is a guy like Jason White, while there's a lot of guys who fill the #2 option.

Which would you rather be, is it better to win a lot in college, win the Heissman, then never play in the NFL, or be overlooked throughout college and actually play a little in the NFL?

(not sure if this belongs in the FFA, I hope not)

Obviously the first option is a guy like Jason White, while there's a lot of guys who fill the #2 option.

Which would you rather be, is it better to win a lot in college, win the Heissman, then never play in the NFL, or be overlooked throughout college and actually play a little in the NFL?

Hands down a Heisman winner. That's huge.J

The Heisman should open many other doors for you. Being an also ran in the NFL might open a few, but I'll go Heisman here.

I voted the second option.

Winning the heisman and not playing in the nfl is the equivalent of being a Doctor and discovering the cure for sickle cell, letting everyone know and then throwing it away before you or others can benefit from it.

What good is the heisman if you cant take your game to the next level.

The key for me was "a few games" not a few "years".

The Heisman winner will more likely be able to get a coaching gig at the high school or college level over the nobody that played a few games at teh pro level.

Both people need to make a living.

Mid round rookie playing in the NFL for a few games = $200k contract, not always guaranteed.

Heisman winner = $200k in re-unions, special appearances, and a few years as a coach. He'd be a living legend in his college's hometown.

Hands down a Heisman winner. That's huge.J
Agreed. Win the Heisman and you are a God among mortals on your campus and the rest of the college community. The businees opportunities it would open would be HUGE!!! Just think if you won the Heisman and went into high end sales. How impressive would it be to be trying to sell some bazzillionaire a $5 million yacht and he's sitting across the desk from you and he sees is the Trophy behind you on a shelf. Chaching....Start counting the commission check. The Heisman is immortality. Puts you in the College HOF almost automatically. Thousands of guys have had a cup of coffee in the NFL and you've never heard of them.....

Pretty close vote so far, but your point is well taken.Would 2 years in the NFL be better than the Heismann?

3?

5?

What if your team, while you're on the bench, won the Super Bowl?

Pretty close vote so far, but your point is well taken.Would 2 years in the NFL be better than the Heismann?

3?

5?

What if your team, while you're on the bench, won the Super Bowl?
Winning the Heisman and playing in the NFL as a back-up are getting closer at 5 years.At 5 years you are playing for the veteran minimum at least. $750k is nice for one year, and with his rookie contract he'd be over 1mil.

But I feel the Heisman winner can parlay his noteriety into more than that over 5 years. It's a gamble, but probably still want to be known as the best in my profession at some point. Popularity (positive) can go a long way for quality of life over strictly $$$.

PS - maybe less physical pain and doctor bills later in life too.

Hell, even I know guys who have had a short taste in the NFL. The prestige of being in the Heisman club is a special thing. Easy vote for me.

Hands down playing at the most ELITE level the game has to offer. Even if it is only fro a few games or few seasons. The competition gets no better and you have a chance to prove yourself vs it!

The Heisman would feel like nothing more than a cheep going away present on a game show if I didn't get to compete with the best in the world.

This vote shocks me. :thumbdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hands down playing at the most ELITE level the game has to offer. Even if it is only fro a few games or few seasons. The competition gets no better and you have a chance to prove yourself vs it!

The Heisman would feel like nothing more than a cheep going away present on a game show if I didn't get to compete with the best in the world.

I tend to agree with the majority here. Mention the name Jason White, Eric Crough, Gino Torretta or Ty Detmer, and most people know exactly who you're talking about.

How many people, even including those who spend Friday night in a FF board, know who Sean Morey is?

The poll says "Heisman Winner, Never Drafted"...Does this mean the Heisman winner didn't make it it the NFL?

If so, I'll go with the the guy who didn't stand out in college, yet made it to the NFL due to hard work or persistance, over lack of talent (perceived or otherwise). A true Football player grows up as a child with one thought in mind, to play in the National Football League. While winning the Heisman is the ultimate accomplishment in Collegiate Football to most...the Heisman winner has hit his Football ceiling if he cannot cut it in the NFL. And in many minds, despite the prestige and opportunities the Heisman presents to one, the Heisman winner may still perceive himself as somewhat of a failure, for not reaching his ultimate childhood dream or goal of being able to play in the NFL.

The guy who makes it to the NFL against the odds is still high on life and alive, still believing in himself...while the Heisman winner may have nowhere to go but down both mentally and physically...or at the very least have the rest of his life handed to him, not earned.
I take it you enjoyed Rudy. ;) Yes, I meant never made it to the NFL. As it isn't otherwise likely, let's assume he got injured. Remind me, has a healthy (no injury concerns) Heissman winner ever not been drafted or played another pro-sport?

For the love of the game, I picked the NFL. To win the Heisman and not go into the NFL would be a heatbreaker or football just wasn't that fun. I wouldn't want to be that guy.

I tend to agree with the majority here. Mention the name Jason White, Eric Crough, Gino Torretta or Ty Detmer, and most people know exactly who you're talking about.

How many people, even including those who spend Friday night in a FF board, know who Sean Morey is?
Complacency is the root... nevermind.

Winning the Heisman means that you were the top amateur football player in a given year. Is it really worth that much?

cross-reference that to other sports and see if your answer changes.

The poll says "Heisman Winner, Never Drafted"...Does this mean the Heisman winner didn't make it it the NFL?

If so, I'll go with the the guy who didn't stand out in college, yet made it to the NFL due to hard work or persistance, over lack of talent (perceived or otherwise). A true Football player grows up as a child with one thought in mind, to play in the National Football League. While winning the Heisman is the ultimate accomplishment in Collegiate Football to most...the Heisman winner has hit his Football ceiling if he cannot cut it in the NFL. And in many minds, despite the prestige and opportunities the Heisman presents to one, the Heisman winner may still perceive himself as somewhat of a failure, for not reaching his ultimate childhood dream or goal of being able to play in the NFL.

The guy who makes it to the NFL against the odds is still high on life and alive, still believing in himself...while the Heisman winner may have nowhere to go but down both mentally and physically...or at the very least have the rest of his life handed to him, not earned.
I don't think the guy that plays a few games in the NFL feels like much of a success. Playing in the NFL is great, but being recognized as the best college football player would be an accomplishment most people could live with.

I don't think the guy that plays a few games in the NFL feels like much of a success. Playing in the NFL is great, but being recognized as the best college football player would be an accomplishment most people could live with.
Any true athlete thives off of the competion, not the personal accoplishments. I can't believe that many Heisman winners would even vote the way ths FBG poll has gone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winning the Heisman means that you were the top amateur football player in a given year. Is it really worth that much?

cross-reference that to other sports and see if your answer changes.
There is no comparison to other sports. The Heisman is unique. People who have no clue about college football know that the Heisman is important.

Users who are viewing this thread