What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who are your top 5 QBs never to win a Super Bowl? (1 Viewer)

Josh Allen
Dan Marino
Philip Rivers
Dan Fouts
Lamar Jackson

Honorable mentions for Matt Ryan and Fran Tarkenton.

Josh Allen
Dan Marino
Philip Rivers
Dan Fouts
Lamar Jackson

Hard to use players still in their prime
It is, but I think the level they have played at is comparable to those other players primes.

ETA: That is why I had the 2 honorable mentions, who weren't current players.
Kinda misses the point using current stud players

Josh Allen
Dan Marino
Philip Rivers
Dan Fouts
Lamar Jackson

It is, but I think the level they have played at is comparable to those other players primes.

On the other side of that coin, if you don't include them you're just rehashing the same old list of QBs that played 50 years ago. Is Josh Allen a better QB than someone like Fran Tarkenton? Almost certainly. He's got the advantage of decades of improved training techniques, advanced football understanding, etc. The game evolves, the league keeps getting better and as it does, guys who were top ten QBs when you were a kid fall off the list.

Josh Allen
Dan Marino
Philip Rivers
Dan Fouts
Lamar Jackson

On the other side of that coin, if you don't include them you're just rehashing the same old list of QBs that played 50 years ago. Is Josh Allen a better QB than someone like Fran Tarkenton? Almost certainly. He's got the advantage of decades of improved training techniques, advanced football understanding, etc. The game evolves, the league keeps getting better and as it does, guys who were top ten QBs when you were a kid fall off the list.
Then while we’re at it let’s include Caleb Williams and Drake Maye and call it a day.

Josh Allen
Dan Marino
Philip Rivers
Dan Fouts
Lamar Jackson

Then while we’re at it let’s include Caleb Williams and Drake Maye and call it a day.

don't worry gramps, i'm getting off your lawn

Josh Allen
Dan Marino
Philip Rivers
Dan Fouts
Lamar Jackson

My wife laughed at the idea of including Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson in a list like this.

-Marino (easy one)
-Fouts (loved watching that offense)
-Jim Kelly (so close against the Giants)
-Warren Moon (Sucks he has to start his career in Canada)
-Phillip Rivers

Tarkington and Matt Ryan close calls.

Going to go from 1980 up(when I started watching), omit players that are not retired and please note I'm answering the question as the best QB's, not the QB's who had the best career achievements.

Marino
Kelley
Luck
Fouts
Randall

Going to go from 1980 up(when I started watching), omit players that are not retired and please note I'm answering the question as the best QB's, not the QB's who had the best career achievements.

Marino
Kelley
Luck
Fouts
Randall
Luck didn’t play long enough IMO, but I get it.

Otto Graham and Kenny Anderson come to mind.
Anderson was good, especially in 1981, but not great overall career stats. Got curious when I saw him listed and was surprised they weren’t better. Before Sunday ticket and red zone so didn’t see him play much.

Maybe not top 5 but top 10ish

Randall Cunningham
1998 was magical until my neighbor missed that FG.

That was his first miss of the entire season right?
I can’t remember, but I do remember seeing him in his driveway when my wife and I would go on a walk. I suppose it would have been improper to yell “WIDE LEFT” as we walked past him. Anderson lived across the street on the corner and Jake Reed lived 2 doors down.

Last edited:
Just gonna throw it out there, I think Warren Moon=Dak Prescott 30 years earlier.
He did throw a lot of picks, but fairly common in that era where QBs flung it downfield more.

More physically talented than Dak for sure
He was the career leader in turnovers until Favre played forever and passed him.

I meant the comp more from the really good regular season QB, couldn't win big games when it counted aspect.

I'll also add, I think Andrew Luck is one of those guys who is overrated because of the shortness of his career, his generational prospect status, and the fact he was playing his best football when he retired. Matthew Stafford with a way better PR team. Anything that went wrong with him, always seemed like it was someone else's fault. I feel like we are seeing a similar thing developing with Trevor Lawrence.

I'll also add, I think Andrew Luck is one of those guys who is overrated because of the shortness of his career, his generational prospect status, and the fact he was playing his best football when he retired. Matthew Stafford with a way better PR team. Anything that went wrong with him, always seemed like it was someone else's fault. I feel like we are seeing a similar thing developing with Trevor Lawrence.
Disagree. When healthy, Luck delivered on his promise. His first three years showed exactly the gradual improvement you would hope for: wildcard, divisional round, AFCCG. Then he was hurt the next 3.5 years but finally rounded into form halfway through the 2018 season and delivered another playoff appearance. He led one of the greatest playoff comebacks in NFL history and beat Manning on the road. His playoff losses came to a red-hot Flacco, Brady twice, and Mahomes. And the Colts did a horrible job building a team around him, especially on the line. Drop him into Mahomes' situation and IMO he would have had similar levels of success.

If anything, his early retirement has probably led to people underrating him

Last edited:
1). Dan Marino
2). Dan Fouts
3). Fran Tarkenton
4). Jim Kelly
5). Warren Moon
Hard to argue with this list.

I might be pick nits with the order, as Moon probably deserved it more than Tarkenton, and Kelly definitely deserved it more than either seeing as he put his teams in position to win. I might move Kelly to #2 behind Marino.

Disagree. When healthy, Luck delivered on his promise. His first three years showed exactly the gradual improvement you would hope for: wildcard, divisional round, AFCCG. Then he was hurt the next 3.5 years but finally rounded into form halfway through the 2018 season and delivered another playoff appearance. He led one of the greatest playoff comebacks in NFL history and beat Manning on the road. His playoff losses came to a red-hot Flacco, Brady twice, and Mahomes. And the Colts did a horrible job building a team around him, especially on the line. Drop him into Mahomes' situation and IMO he would have had similar levels of success.

If anything, his early retirement has probably led to people underrating him
Luck had two seasons in the top 10 in passer rating (#7 in 2014 and #9 in 2016). All of his rate stats suck. The only reason he ran up yardage was volume (over 600 attempts, top 5 three times).

I'll nominate Ryan Fitzpatrick. He played for 17 years and was a starter for 9 teams, the most in league history.
Think about that. He played for 28% of the teams in the league. But never even sniffed the playoffs.
I think he holds the most career passing yards and TDs for QBs without a postseason appearance.
And he was arguably better than some QBs that did find their way into a Superbowl roster.

Dan Marino

Massive tier break

Dan Marino again.
Jim Kelly. Warren Moon.

Small tier break

Phillip Rivers.
Fran Tarkenton

I won't comment on QBs I never saw play, so when looking at QBs since the mid 80s (when I started watching football), I will go with:

Dan Marino (duh)
Philip Rivers
Jim Kelly
Lamar Jackson
Josh Allen

Josh Allen
Dan Marino
Philip Rivers
Dan Fouts
Lamar Jackson

My wife laughed at the idea of including Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson in a list like this.
so did I. Intent was obvious

Users who are viewing this thread