What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

who blew up the nord stream 1 and 2 pipelines (2 Viewers)

I think this article overlooks some potential advantages to Russia doing it. For example, they're going to get to play the victim now, and maybe they thought framing this as a US action could get Europe to stop helping Ukraine?
I just don't buy that. Europe has no reason to give a fig about what Russia wants if Russia has no potential to supply energy to them.

By all accounts military operations are going horribly for Putin. Wasn't the carrot of turning the flow of gas back on the only bargaining chip Putin had to negotiate a cease fire that gave him any concessions at all? Why would he blow up his only leverage?
Chaos and betting that he can have his people suffer longer than multiple European countries can.

Food for thought
But he could already make the Europeans suffer. He controls the flow. I don't get it.
Nord 2 has never been opened and Nord 1 was shutdown. Germany told Russia to pound sand and has ramped up that language in past few weeks. The main powers in Europe have begun to move on. This pushes the markets into chaos putting strain on Europe.

Vlad has shown he has little regard for his people when it comes to his power. Europe has many countries, many different leaders each with their own political situations. Leverage play…my guess at least. We’ll never know.

If normal leadership returns to Russia these will be repaired and turned back on.
This still doesn't adequately explain why blowing up these pipelines is a smart move for Putin.
Chaos in the energy markets in EU / NATO. I’m sure their people freak out over the cost per liter of fuel just like we do. Start asking questions like why are we doing this still?
But gas flowing through those pipelines is what would calm markets, and Putin was the one who had the ability to make the gas flow again. Now that's an impossibility. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Nord Stream 2 he was never opened and Vlad was told to piss off after he invaded the Ukraine as far as I have read. Nord Stream 1 was becoming less important to Europe. Again what I read.

These can both be repaired and I’d wager they’d be back up an running toot sweet if they suddenly agreed to it.
My impression was Nord Stream 1 was 'becoming less important' only because it's not yet winter. Everything I've read has suggested Putin's only chance at leverage would come as temps dropped across Germany and elsewhere--that Putin's ability to resume sending natural gas was going to prove tempting to Germans and others once they had to deal with huge jumps in demand for heat. Now that possibility of Putin releasing natural gas to the markets is gone.
Norway had just opened their pipeline to Poland moving them totally off Russian dependance. Germany had already significantly cut Russia energy and had announced they'd be completely off in a year and a half. I assume similar plans are in place throughout the EU.

To figure out who would do this, it's probably best to find out who would most benefit from this happening. The most obvious answer is usually the correct one.

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea who would benefit from this, I don't pay attention to the politics of this region.

By all accounts military operations are going horribly for Putin. Wasn't the carrot of turning the flow of gas back on the only bargaining chip Putin had to negotiate a cease fire that gave him any concessions at all? Why would he blow up his only leverage?
Chaos and betting that he can have his people suffer longer than multiple European countries can.

Food for thought
But he could already make the Europeans suffer. He controls the flow. I don't get it.
Nord 2 has never been opened and Nord 1 was shutdown. Germany told Russia to pound sand and has ramped up that language in past few weeks. The main powers in Europe have begun to move on. This pushes the markets into chaos putting strain on Europe.

Vlad has shown he has little regard for his people when it comes to his power. Europe has many countries, many different leaders each with their own political situations. Leverage play…my guess at least. We’ll never know.

If normal leadership returns to Russia these will be repaired and turned back on.
This still doesn't adequately explain why blowing up these pipelines is a smart move for Putin.
Chaos in the energy markets in EU / NATO. I’m sure their people freak out over the cost per liter of fuel just like we do. Start asking questions like why are we doing this still?
But gas flowing through those pipelines is what would calm markets, and Putin was the one who had the ability to make the gas flow again. Now that's an impossibility. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Nord Stream 2 he was never opened and Vlad was told to piss off after he invaded the Ukraine as far as I have read. Nord Stream 1 was becoming less important to Europe. Again what I read.

These can both be repaired and I’d wager they’d be back up an running toot sweet if they suddenly agreed to it.
My impression was Nord Stream 1 was 'becoming less important' only because it's not yet winter. Everything I've read has suggested Putin's only chance at leverage would come as temps dropped across Germany and elsewhere--that Putin's ability to resume sending natural gas was going to prove tempting to Germans and others once they had to deal with huge jumps in demand for heat. Now that possibility of Putin releasing natural gas to the markets is gone.
Norway had just opened their pipeline to Poland moving them totally off Russian dependance. Germany had already significantly cut Russia energy and had announced they'd be completely off in a year and a half. I assume similar plans are in place throughout the EU.
I read the article. I

Food for thought

I read the article. It indicated Poland was hoping to be totally off Russian gas by year's end. And a year and a half for Germany to wean itself doesn't address the fact that this winter there will be shortfalls.
Of course Europe is taking steps to find other sources of energy, as they should. It still doesn't explain why Putin would destroy the only bit of leverage he has for the coming winter.

I read the article. It indicated Poland was hoping to be totally off Russian gas by year's end. And a year and a half for Germany to wean itself doesn't address the fact that this winter there will be shortfalls.
Of course Europe is taking steps to find other sources of energy, as they should. It still doesn't explain why Putin would destroy the only bit of leverage he has for the coming winter.
The ship has sailed and they are in the throw stuff at the wall stage.

They are calling up old men and untrained soldiers. They are grabbing men at the border who are trying to leave the country.

hmmm

he DID promise ...

Do you believe the US did it?
I don't but it was an unbelievably stupid thing to say. but biden.
This message was coordinated with Germany.

Dollars to donuts it was Vlad. He’s a cornered animal.
we should let him out of his corner.
What would that entail?
how about freezing battlelines giving him the dunbass and that other region he claims as well as ever expecting Crimea back. and agreeing Ukraine will never join nato. how about that?
Is that enough, who knows. In any case giving up land is up to the Ukraine.

For NATO...I'd say just tell Russia the Ukraine won't join NATO then let them in in a couple years. Oopsie. Sorry!

Biden's Statement on Nord Stream

Since Russia began deploying troops to the Ukrainian border, the United States has worked closely with our Allies and partners to deliver a strong, unified response. As I said when I met with Chancellor Scholz earlier this month, Germany has been a leader in that effort, and we have closely coordinated our efforts to stop the Nord Stream 2 pipeline if Russia further invaded Ukraine.

Yesterday, after further close consultations between our two governments, Germany announced that it would halt certification of the pipeline. Today, I have directed my administration to impose sanctions on Nord Stream 2 AG and its corporate officers. These steps are another piece of our initial tranche of sanctions in response to Russia’s actions in Ukraine. As I have made clear, we will not hesitate to take further steps if Russia continues to escalate.

Through his actions, President Putin has provided the world with an overwhelming incentive to move away from Russian gas and to other forms of energy. I want to thank Chancellor Scholz for his close partnership and continued dedication to holding Russia accountable for its actions.

What would that entail?
how about freezing battlelines giving him the dunbass and that other region he claims as well as ever expecting Crimea back. and agreeing Ukraine will never join nato. how about that?

For NATO...I'd say just tell Russia the Ukraine won't join NATO then let them in in a couple years. Oopsie. Sorry!
so you prefer breaking the deal. gotcha.

what is your ideal to end this with russia?

Response to Biden's Statement:

Domestically, the new sanctions against Nord Stream 2 move helped advance some of Biden’s State Department nominees, as Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said he would lift a hold he had placed on them in response to last year’s waiver.

President Biden made the right decision today,” Cruz said in a statement. “Allowing Putin’s Nord Stream 2 to come online would have created multiple, cascading, and acute security crises for the United States and our European allies for generations to come.”

However, he also called for “additional steps inside the Biden administration and in Congress to permanently lock in sanctions.”

The decision to sanction Nord Stream 2 AG also won Biden praise among Democratic critics of the pipeline.

“I’ve long opposed NS2, which is why I wrote the bipartisan sanctions law to stop it,” Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) tweeted. “Every diplomatic lever must be pulled to punish Putin for violating Ukraine’s sovereignty & threatening Europe’s security.”

Nord Stream 2 Pipeline is a trophy for Dark Brandon and not one he would blow up for spits and giggles, it's his bling for going toe to toe with the Russian gangsta and backing him down.

What would that entail?

so you prefer breaking the deal. gotcha.

what is your ideal to end this with russia?
I'd have no issue lying to Putin if it benefited us and NATO. We are dealing with a nut who is our enemy.

No real clue how to deal with this. I think it's been handled well so far. Perhaps finding a nation to help both sides come to a deal. Australia or Japan you guys busy?

Last edited:
Response to Biden's Statement:

Domestically, the new sanctions against Nord Stream 2 move helped advance some of Biden’s State Department nominees, as Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) said he would lift a hold he had placed on them in response to last year’s waiver.

President Biden made the right decision today,” Cruz said in a statement. “Allowing Putin’s Nord Stream 2 to come online would have created multiple, cascading, and acute security crises for the United States and our European allies for generations to come.”

However, he also called for “additional steps inside the Biden administration and in Congress to permanently lock in sanctions.”

The decision to sanction Nord Stream 2 AG also won Biden praise among Democratic critics of the pipeline.

“I’ve long opposed NS2, which is why I wrote the bipartisan sanctions law to stop it,” Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.) tweeted. “Every diplomatic lever must be pulled to punish Putin for violating Ukraine’s sovereignty & threatening Europe’s security.”
Ted Cruz and Jeanne Shaheen were probably Alpha and Bravo team leaders of the Navy dive team that attached the explosives.

Nord Stream 2 Pipeline is a trophy for Dark Brandon and not one he would blow up for spits and giggles, it's his bling for going toe to toe with the Russian gangsta and backing him down.
It is interesting how posters who think Biden can't tie his shoes think he is also blowing up pipelines like a James Bond villain.

After listening to his most recent speech, you are 100% correct about tying his shoes...while the left did the same Bond thing with GW this is still the gold standard:

He said they will end it. I don't know exactly what that means. When asked for clarification, he just said, "I promise you, we will do it," or something. But again, I don't believe the US caused the explosions. Do you?

oh probably not

but Biden's words ... I guess he was just a liar ?

It is interesting how posters who think Biden can't tie his shoes think he is also blowing up pipelines like a James Bond villain.
we understand what we’re dealing with in Biden. “Where’s Jackie?” It’s sad seeing an American president like this. Very sad. Things aren’t normal. You know this as you prop him up weekend at Bernie’s style. Very sad

Disgusting claims as always with the pundit. Really really awful look linking that here.
It was an interesting analysis.
Dark Brandon is not to be trifled with.
Fun fact: The dark Brandon nickname was born after he pooped his pants at the vatican
And yet here he is aligning with Ted Cruz to destroy Russian pipelines 🤔

He said they will end it. I don't know exactly what that means. When asked for clarification, he just said, "I promise you, we will do it," or something. But again, I don't believe the US caused the explosions. Do you?

oh probably not

How is he a liar? Its been explained to you that it sits abandoned after the invasion.

How is he a liar? Its been explained to you that it sits abandoned after the invasion.

so Biden DID take it down ? first I've heard that Biden has any dealings at all .... maybe he did ?

but I think its more likely Biden was talking tuff and someone else blew it up and Biden today probably don't even remember saying what he said or what nordstream pipeline is

I mean he thought dead people were in the crowds - right ?

I don't know why Russia would blow it - probably some anti-Putin group to add negativity to Putin. Not a bad thing, but likely not the USA. Maybe Ukraine

The pipeline never delivered any gas.

everyone knows that - the capacity was there, and it wasn't delivering when Biden said he'd shut it down - the potential was there though

at any rate, I'm sure saltwater will do that broken pipeline good
Germany said this pipeline will not open. Biden said it would not open. They aligned on this.

This language and this move was applauded by the likes of Ted Cruz.

This isn't overly complicated.

oh probably not

Unlike you, who has a never ending supply of it and delivers all day, every day. ;)

Another interesting development in the last few days is Prigozhin admitting that he founded and owned Wagner. Is it a threat to Putin? Is Prigozhin trying to show Putin that he is no longer under his thumb? If Putin doesn't get Ukraine under control, will Wagner be used against Putin? Putin is feeling the pressure internationally and domestically.
Russians but not Putin, interesting. This theory just kept me from going all in on Putin.
For the record, I was suggesting that Putin did it because he has people breathing down his neck inside Russia. He's based his presidency on looking tough and competent. He has done neither in Ukraine. There are probably internal threats to his job. Prigozhin announcing that he owns Wagner is him reminding Putin that he controls a private army that could be turned against Putin. ie. Fix this or we might replace you.

everyone knows that - the capacity was there, and it wasn't delivering when Biden said he'd shut it down - the potential was there though

at any rate, I'm sure saltwater will do that broken pipeline good
Germany said this pipeline will not open. Biden said it would not open. They aligned on this.

This language and this move was applauded by the likes of Ted Cruz.

This isn't overly complicated.
Apparently it is.

oh probably not

Unlike you, who has a never ending supply of it and delivers all day, every day. ;)
Just killing time and enjoying the discourse about Biden pooping his pants while masterminding pipeline destruction in the Baltic Sea.

Just killing time and enjoying the discourse about Biden pooping his pants while masterminding pipeline destruction in the Baltic Sea.
This ranks right up there with GWB being the mastermind of 9/11 and Queen Elizabeth being assassinated because she was part of an elite global pedophile ring.

so Biden DID take it down ? first I've heard that Biden has any dealings at all .... maybe he did ?

but I think its more likely Biden was talking tuff and someone else blew it up and Biden today probably don't even remember saying what he said or what nordstream pipeline is

I mean he thought dead people were in the crowds - right ?

I don't know why Russia would blow it - probably some anti-Putin group to add negativity to Putin. Not a bad thing, but likely not the USA. Maybe Ukraine
There been several people who told you about sanctions and that it was unfinished and now abandoned. As usual, you ignored it for your narrative that he lied.

This ranks right up there with GWB being the mastermind of 9/11 and Queen Elizabeth being assassinated because she was part of an elite global pedophile ring.
Yep. Everyone knows Hillary was behind those.

Wait a second....where was Hillary the day before yesterday?

This will probably be the second segment on Hannity tonight.

This will probably be the second segment on Hannity tonight.

Probably. The 1/6 Committee Prime Time Telenovela Special has been a complete dud so people need to get their high drama from somewhere. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread