What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who do we target? - David Nelson (1 Viewer)

From Rotoworld

David Nelson will be the Bills' full-time slot receiver going forward.

With Roscoe Parrish (ankle) and Marcus Easley (heart) out for the season and Stevie Johnson (groin) hobbled, it's turning into a perfect storm for Nelson. The slot receiver in a Chan Gailey offense is a heavily targeted position and Nelson has excellent red-zone skills at 6'5/220. There's major breakout potential here, starting this Sunday with a plus matchup against the Patriots.

:banned: i love kool aid. i wish there was an emoticon with the kool aid guy going through the wall and OH YEA!!!!!!

From RotoworldDavid Nelson will be the Bills' full-time slot receiver going forward.With Roscoe Parrish (ankle) and Marcus Easley (heart) out for the season and Stevie Johnson (groin) hobbled, it's turning into a perfect storm for Nelson. The slot receiver in a Chan Gailey offense is a heavily targeted position and Nelson has excellent red-zone skills at 6'5/220. There's major breakout potential here, starting this Sunday with a plus matchup against the Patriots. :banned: i love kool aid. i wish there was an emoticon with the kool aid guy going through the wall and OH YEA!!!!!!
He's WR20 right now in my main league. His upside is higher than that. I don't see much of a difference between Nelson and Stevie Johnson right now. Both are getting tons of targets right now. Now with the WR corps being depleted, you could make a case that Donald Jones is a valuable handcuff. If either Johnson or Nelson were to miss time, the Bills would almost be forced to target Jones heavily. There is nobody else.

This week could be an excellent start for Nelson. The Pats have really struggled against slot receivers. They've also really struggled against big receivers. Nelson happens to be a 6'5", 220lb slot receiver. :excited:
:goodposting:Nelson is mus start vs Pats (Ps homer here). I expect top 5 numbers this week. I spent $36/200 on Nelson in my auction that tells younhow much I believe this guys talent and opportunity. In the one league I missed him in gonna try to overpay in trade.

He's WR20 right now in my main league. His upside is higher than that. I don't see much of a difference between Nelson and Stevie Johnson right now. Both are getting tons of targets right now.
Unless we see an injury to Johnson, I doubt that Nelson finishes top 20 and have great doubts that his upside is in the top 15. I think we need to remember that this is week 2, and there are A LOT of guys sitting in the 20-40 range that are likely to pass Nelson as the season plays out. Just a quick look: Wayne, Santana, Nicks, DeSean, Holmes, Roddy, Boldin, Bowe, Harvin, Bryant, Mike Williams, Lloyd...

'jonboltz said:
'Sabertooth said:
He's WR20 right now in my main league. His upside is higher than that. I don't see much of a difference between Nelson and Stevie Johnson right now. Both are getting tons of targets right now.
Unless we see an injury to Johnson, I doubt that Nelson finishes top 20 and have great doubts that his upside is in the top 15. I think we need to remember that this is week 2, and there are A LOT of guys sitting in the 20-40 range that are likely to pass Nelson as the season plays out. Just a quick look: Wayne, Santana, Nicks, DeSean, Holmes, Roddy, Boldin, Bowe, Harvin, Bryant, Mike Williams, Lloyd...
He's already got a groin issue.

What would Nelson's value have been this week if he'd managed to catch that tipped pass a bit more cleanly and came in with 11 catches for 100 yards and 2 touchdowns? Because it was a very close one.

'LittlePhatty said:
'tombonneau said:
Nelson is mus start vs Pats
Win, lose, or draw, the Bills will need to throw a lot in this game. I can see Nelson getting 100 and a TD easily.
Pat Chung might be out as well. Start the Bills passing game with high confidence. Brady will likely have to throw for another 400.

What would Nelson's value have been this week if he'd managed to catch that tipped pass a bit more cleanly and came in with 11 catches for 100 yards and 2 touchdowns? Because it was a very close one.
Great point I bring this type of thing up to my friend who I do weekly pick pool with and ask him if a FG goes in last week no way this team is giving so few points. Little discrete events can make a huge different in perception on both ends of the spectrum.

I sold high on him. He'll probably be Top 10 this year now. So y'all can thank me later.
what price is that?I am deep at WR, but found this guy on the waiver wire last week. Been offering a low 2nd and him for a 1st. think it's a reasonable offer, but so far nobody biting. Guy is still young and is just coming into his age. I already have Nicks, Calvin, and Denarius in a start 2

This week could be an excellent start for Nelson. The Pats have really struggled against slot receivers. They've also really struggled against big receivers. Nelson happens to be a 6'5", 220lb slot receiver. :excited:
I've been thinking the same thing this week. Patriots have been running Kyle Arrington out to cover the slot receivers in the first 2 weeks. He usually shows up a step or 2 late ( especially on crossing routes ), if the 1st 2 weeks are any indication. Both Marshall and VJax ran a significant number of plays out of the slot ( I've been quoting 50%, but that's a "my best guess" from watching the games live ). I fully expect a big week out of Nelson this week.And Sabretooth... great thread. Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks Sabertooth! Good stuff here. Everyone is singing the praises of Moore and Decker as the WR pick-ups this week but I honestly feel Nelson is the smart buy here. He is in a perfect position of opportunity with Parrish out for the year and has shown the talent to succeed in this league. I'm decimated by injuries already this year (Charles, Romo, Felix, Marshall gimpy now) so I would really like to see this kid grab the bull by the horns and run with it this year. Picked him up in my league for $2 blind bid after two teams broke the bank for Decker and Moore and smiling the whole time.

Nelson went for 21 dollars of 100 dollar real money Blind Bidding Budget. Just passing it along.

I'm thinking about throwing Donald Jones out there if Stevie happens to sit.

Nelson went for 21 dollars of 100 dollar real money Blind Bidding Budget. Just passing it along. I'm thinking about throwing Donald Jones out there if Stevie happens to sit.
Start him regardless. He'll have a huge game vs Pats banged up secondary. If you aren't gonna start him this week might as well have kept the $21 in your wallet. ;)

The dude above me? Apologies for not using the quote feature.

Apologies for not using it here either. Hopefully you can figure out who this is in response to.

Wait - why was he being covered by a linebacker and safety all game?

Seems like he was only targeted because the defense wasn't playing nickel and had a bad matchup.

Seems tough to imagine a wide receiver not succeeding facing that coverage all day.

I was going to target Nelson on the waiver wire before this write up, not I'm having second thoughts. Could this be a matchup anomaly?

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold high on him. He'll probably be Top 10 this year now. So y'all can thank me later.
:lmao: That's how I always feel when I trade a guy away. I did it a few years ago when Sidney Rice was just getting rolling with Favre. Kicked myself all season as I say there and like this :shock: week after week.

I've been thinking the same thing this week. Patriots have been running Kyle Arrington out to cover the slot receivers in the first 2 weeks. He usually shows up a step or 2 late ( especially on crossing routes ), if the 1st 2 weeks are any indication. Both Marshall and VJax ran a significant number of plays out of the slot ( I've been quoting 50%, but that's a "my best guess" from watching the games live ). I fully expect a big week out of Nelson this week.And Sabretooth... great thread. Looking forward to the next one.
Thank you. I look forward to it as well. It is going to be an interesting exercise because not everyone who gets a lot of targets is going to produce. I might break down Antonio Brown later this morning. He's a buy low right now but has 15 targets so far himself.

Wait - why was he being covered by a linebacker and safety all game? Seems like he was only targeted because the defense wasn't playing nickel and had a bad matchup. Seems tough to imagine a wide receiver not succeeding facing that coverage all day.I was going to target Nelson on the waiver wire before this write up, not I'm having second thoughts. Could this be a matchup anomaly?
They were in 5 wide sets a lot. He would just run 10 yards and turn around in the soft spot. I think with his height and size, it would be mighty difficult to cover him with a 5'10" corner. He'd be giving up a ton of range. Plus having a 190 lbs guy trying to tackle him in a phone booth would be difficult too. He was pulling McClain 2-3 yards downfield in most cases. But you do make a good point and one that gives me pause as well. If a team schemes differently, we might see different results.

what price is that?I am deep at WR, but found this guy on the waiver wire last week. Been offering a low 2nd and him for a 1st. think it's a reasonable offer, but so far nobody biting. Guy is still young and is just coming into his age. I already have Nicks, Calvin, and Denarius in a start 2
I packaged him with fred davis and sold to a guy where his starting Te is Kendricks. Landed Vincent jackson for davis/nelson. I ran to hit accept. We are a ppr league and this gave him 2 starters whereas I updated 1 starter. (Witten is my Te, so davis has been on my bench)

seems like they did pretty good against Antonio Gates who is basically a big receiver? Nelson is used similar to how Finley is used in Green Bay. Almost like a TE flexed out. I think he even motions into the backfield and pass protects at times. I don't think you can compare him to your typical slot receivers. We'll see though. Should be fun to watch.I just sold in a dynasty where I needed a roster spot to pick up a D. 2 2nd round picks is all I got, but next years draft should be deep at WR. I'm not sure this guy will ever be dominant to where i'll regret moving him.

Great info. This game against the PATS should be interesting, who will they try to take out of the game on the BILLS O like they did to Gates? The Bills know they have to come out firing on all cylinders so I think the targets will be there for Nelson.

Great info. This game against the PATS should be interesting, who will they try to take out of the game on the BILLS O like they did to Gates? The Bills know they have to come out firing on all cylinders so I think the targets will be there for Nelson.
depends on johnson's groin

Just checking out this game again. Nelson was just as open as Johnson on Stevie's touchdown in the late third quarter.

Imagine the frenzy over this kid if he catches 3 touchdowns this past weekend. Because he easily could have. Doesn't really mean anything now. But just think about that hypothetically. And I'm sure other guys were close on plays too, but just saying.

seems like they did pretty good against Antonio Gates who is basically a big receiver? Nelson is used similar to how Finley is used in Green Bay. Almost like a TE flexed out. I think he even motions into the backfield and pass protects at times. I don't think you can compare him to your typical slot receivers. We'll see though. Should be fun to watch.I just sold in a dynasty where I needed a roster spot to pick up a D. 2 2nd round picks is all I got, but next years draft should be deep at WR. I'm not sure this guy will ever be dominant to where i'll regret moving him.
A couple of thoughts on the Gates game vs. NE. Gates, from what I recall, lined up tight on most plays. NE regularly had his cover guy ( LB or S Chung ) right up on him, hitting him coming off the line. He got very few free releases. When he had LB coverage, it was often augmented with a S over the top. I'd say NE gameplanned specifically to take Gates out of the equation.On the other hand, both VJax and B. Marshall lined up in the slot frequently. With all the attention being paid to Gates in the middle, the slot guys were given room at the line and spent a lot of time running outs, corner and crossing routes. The coverage wasn't there from NE to handle the big guys coming across the zones.If Nelson is going to do more of the same, trying to sit down in a soft spot in the zone, he could have some trouble. NE can handle that reasonably well. If they use Chandler more in that area of the field and flash Nelson across the field, he could have a big day.All IMO, of course.

Pats homer. IIRC, Fred Jackson has had some pretty good games vs the Pats in the past and I think BB will aim to shut him down and turn the game into Fitz vs Brady. Just my opinion.

They were in 5 wide sets a lot. He would just run 10 yards and turn around in the soft spot. I think with his height and size, it would be mighty difficult to cover him with a 5'10" corner. He'd be giving up a ton of range. Plus having a 190 lbs guy trying to tackle him in a phone booth would be difficult too. He was pulling McClain 2-3 yards downfield in most cases. But you do make a good point and one that gives me pause as well. If a team schemes differently, we might see different results.
You can say that about any WR......a team can take out any WR if they really want to.....look at what NE did to Gates or MIN did to Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams. Obviously teams are going to have to gameplan for Nelson, but he still should you a consistent 4-6 catches a week and score maybe every other week. Nelson should be a decent WR2 or a great WR3 going forward. Must start this week. NE defense isn't that good, it's more of bend but don't break defense, and BUF is going to have to light up the scoreboard to keep up.

FJax is the player that NE will be watched heavily, followed by doubling on Johnson. That leaves Chandler and Nelson as the 2 who will be given the room to be open. I do believe that Fitz will be forced into continuing to air it out and both should have plenty of opportunity in this game. Play action will be causing a bit of trouble for the Pats, as Jackson has put up solid numbers this year. Expect a shootout and start any Buff players with confidence.

You can say that about any WR......a team can take out any WR if they really want to.....look at what NE did to Gates or MIN did to Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams. Obviously teams are going to have to gameplan for Nelson, but he still should you a consistent 4-6 catches a week and score maybe every other week. Nelson should be a decent WR2 or a great WR3 going forward. Must start this week. NE defense isn't that good, it's more of bend but don't break defense, and BUF is going to have to light up the scoreboard to keep up.
I agree. It is basically going to look a lot like the end of the Raiders game for Buffalo. Over/Under on this thing is 54 right now with the Pats 9 point favs.

Good stuff Sabertooth...I was sold on him last week and picked he and Decker up prior to Sunday's games (Jeff P. had a great Decker article). This guy continues to impress.
I did the exact same thing. I was sitting in my truck waiting to show a rental and I decided to snag Nelson. Then I read more about Lloyd so I grabbed Decker for insurance and used him in place of Lloyd. Then the person I was showing the house to offered to buy it. :o
Nice run! Lotto ticket on the way home?

12-team PPR with very tight roster limits and a $50 FAAB budget. I got him for $17 and dropped Garcon. Second-highest bid for him was $12. He's starting for me as my WR3 this week. Make it happen David.

Nelson did not disappoint this past weekend. As expected, he was highly targetted against the woeful Pats pass defense. Again he was used on shorter routes. I'll update his targets when I get some time here. But he looks to be in position to really chug out those 6-80 type of games just about every week. I don't see why not this weekend against Cincy. He might just find paydirt again.

Just traded Nelson for McCluster. Really didn't want to but I had plenty of depth at WR and needed a body at RB. Dexter's WR/RB flexibility is a nice bonus.

Just traded Nelson for McCluster. Really didn't want to but I had plenty of depth at WR and needed a body at RB. Dexter's WR/RB flexibility is a nice bonus.
I'm actually trying to acquire McCluster and Brown in my flex league that is also return yardage. I'm giving Mark Ingram and Torry Smith.

if you need to look at targets this is a great link on ESPNhttp://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargetsand if i am not mistaken i believe Nelson was at 20 after week 2.. so i think that would put him at 7 targets, with 6 receptions in week 3
FBG has them in the game logs too with the pay service. That's what I use.

6-84 in the first half ... then ZIPPO in the second ... nada, nil, nyet, a big avacado ... all during that furious comeback, and Jones was the one making hay out there. Those who saw the game ... was this a case of the Hoodie taking him away with a halftime adjustment? Did he get the "Gates" treatment?

Users who are viewing this thread