What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is NEXT? (1 Viewer)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
Michael Turner is a great example of a player that spent his time as an understudy to a great player and this season, when he got the chance, he became a star.

Aaron Rodgers is another example.

Calvin Johnson is yet another example of a player that put it together in a big way this season.

Next season I think we'll see a little known TE from Green Bay named Jermichael Finley emerge as a fantasy starter. He's the youngest Packer ever. He's only had a handful of catches this season. But he's on a team that like to throw and has a good QB. Finley doesn't have a lot in front of him in Donald Lee and Tory Humphrey so he's certainly going to get a shot if he can make a big stride.

Who else in on the cusp of becoming a viable fantasy option this season?

Josh Morgan.

He was looking very good in the pre-season when he got the flu that kept him out which will put a rookie behind the eight ball for the rest of the year.

Bryant Johnson is a UFA and Bruce could be heading out to pasture leaving opportunity in the 49ers receiving corps... depending on who will be throwing the ball.

I'd like to see if Fred Jackson gets a shot as a starter anywhere. I think the Bills can tender him, though.

Zack Miller could emerge as an elite TE. He has been a focal point of that offense lately and he has a lot of talent.

Zack Miller could emerge as an elite TE. He has been a focal point of that offense lately and he has a lot of talent.
Agree. I would add:Donnie Avery (think he will be the more productive WR next year and the STL WR1 the following year.)Mike Walker (hampered by injuries, the coaching staff loves his potential. We've all been waiting to see some value in the Jax recievers I think he will be it)

Keep an eye on Jamaal Charles for the Chiefs. He's got LJ in front of him, and we'll see what the offense looks like next year. But, he's looked explosive this year, and could be a factor next season in at least a Leon Washington kind of way.

Higgins could be a solid WR3, possibly better, as the Oakland passing game gets better. Plus there's the added bonus of him being a pretty nifty return man.

Off the top of my head, here are some players I am looking at as potential values for next year:

Pierre Thomas -- Deuce is done. Reggie is injury prone. Will be interesting to see what happens in the draft/free agency for NO.

Derek Ward -- like Turner he is a free agent and will likely go elsewhere if the Giants resign Jacobs

Darren Sproles -- LT is fading and this kid makes the most of his opportunities.

Zach Miller -- quietly put up solid numbers; Russell likes him and he should continue to grow with Russell as they both get more experience

Dominique Hixon -- With Plax likely gone, he will probably get a chance to step up in a starting role.

Steve Breaston -- If Boldin leaves, he is a starter in a good offense.

Donnie Avery -- Had some good games this season. Holt is slowing down. Just needs to develop more consistency.

Kevin Smith -- Don't know if he qualifies as an "emerging" player but he finished the season strong and may fly under the radar since he is on a bad team and the other rookie RB's put up better overall numbers.

Hester continues to show improvements.

I know people question his ball tracking skills and hands, but he definitely continues to show improvments and, I believe, will get up near and around 1K next season.

Sabertooth said:
Michael Turner is a great example of a player that spent his time as an understudy to a great player and this season, when he got the chance, he became a star.

Aaron Rodgers is another example.

Calvin Johnson is yet another example of a player that put it together in a big way this season.

Next season I think we'll see a little known TE from Green Bay named Jermichael Finley emerge as a fantasy starter. He's the youngest Packer ever. He's only had a handful of catches this season. But he's on a team that like to throw and has a good QB. Finley doesn't have a lot in front of him in Donald Lee and Tory Humphrey so he's certainly going to get a shot if he can make a big stride.

Who else in on the cusp of becoming a viable fantasy option this season?
As soon as I saw the title of this thread that is who I thought of. Although it may be his 3rd year he actually has a star year

Carlson is hardly a sleeper, but may blossom even further next year. Engram is likely gone, and while Burleson and Branch will probably be back, they're not the biggest threats in the world (and bound to get hurt). Plus, Mora may feature the TE prominently in his offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
JaMarcus Russell.
I have him in dynasty, and at the beginning of the year I was thinking what a wasted draft pick. Now I'm optimistic about next season, especially if they can upgrade the WR corps. I think Oakland's stock is rising, they could be a powerhouse on both sides of the ball if they can just put it all together.

Anthony Gonzalez. Depending on how far the Colts go in the playoffs and Harrison. But I believe next season will be the year he develops into what they envisioned.

After rushing for 177 yards and 2 TDs today against Tampa, I think Michael Bush deserves mention. Oakland was trying to trade him before and I could see him getting traded to a team like Seattle where he could have a chance to start. I think he proved that he deserves a shot at being a featured back.

After rushing for 177 yards and 2 TDs today against Tampa, I think Michael Bush deserves mention. Oakland was trying to trade him before and I could see him getting traded to a team like Seattle where he could have a chance to start. I think he proved that he deserves a shot at being a featured back.
I don't think he goes anywhere. Trade market for RBs is non-existent, when you can pluck a decent free agent or a rookie that can contribute. They are a dime-a-dozen. Depth at RB is a luxury they can afford. He will get more carries, but it's gonna be a New Orleans/Giants RBBC next year in Oakland.

Qbs: Russell

RBs:

jj arrington - he had 6 ypc on a team that averaged 3.3. Haven't seen many cardinals games this year, but after they get blown out in the first round i'm pretty sure they'll want to re-establish the running game.

norwood - if turner feels the effects of all these carries

leon washington, jerome harrison, brandon jackson, chauncey washington if any of them get the opportunity

WRs:

desean jackson - if mcnabb sticks around

mark clayton - second half numbers are something like 28/600/3

jenkins - has been a good compliment to white all year, if atlanta takes the next step with its passing game he might benefit most (laurent robinson maybe instead)

dominik hixon, steve smith, or manningham for the gmen, john lee higgins, chris henry

TEs:

olsen - don't know clark's situation, but olsen has produced

celek - i need to see him improve his blocking first

Carlson is hardly a sleeper, but may blossom even further next year. Engram is likely gone, and while Burleson and Branch will probably be back, they're not the biggest threats in the world (and bound to get hurt). Plus, Mora may feature the TE prominently in his offense.
Just reading through this thread I knew I would see Carlson's name, but I have my doubts depending on what happens in the off season.I think his stats this season were more of an aberration because of all the WR injuries, just like we saw from Engram the previous season. For me, this is all about the preference of the coaching staff. Holmgren didn't want to have to lean on his young TE, but he was forced to do just that. What will Mora do?

I could buy into the Mora argument for a productive Carlson. It could be a different Seattle offense next year. What will Mora want to do there? Will he leave the offense intact with a (hopefully) healthy Hasselbeck? Will he start to transform the offense into something different like a mostly power running attack? Right now this team is still built to be a pass first offense. Not sure what Mora will do there. I'll be very curious to see how they attack free agency and the draft. Draft a player like Crabtree vs a player like Oher? I think that could be VERY telling on which way they want to go.

My list is more for deep players:

QB

T. Jackson

M. Vick if he is allowed back in 2009

RB

R. Rice

M. Hart

WR

M. Kelly

Mark Clayton

TE

B. Cottam if Gonzo is gone from KC

I don't think he goes anywhere. Trade market for RBs is non-existent, when you can pluck a decent free agent or a rookie that can contribute. They are a dime-a-dozen. Depth at RB is a luxury they can afford. He will get more carries, but it's gonna be a New Orleans/Giants RBBC next year in Oakland.
Except they were trying to trade him this season but now he has proven that he can play.

Higgins could be a solid WR3, possibly better, as the Oakland passing game gets better. Plus there's the added bonus of him being a pretty nifty return man.
:fishing: Thats the very player I was coming into this thread to post. Hes certainly got the goods. Now if they just had a better offense......

JaMarcus Russell.
I have him in dynasty, and at the beginning of the year I was thinking what a wasted draft pick. Now I'm optimistic about next season, especially if they can upgrade the WR corps. I think Oakland's stock is rising, they could be a powerhouse on both sides of the ball if they can just put it all together.
Agreed. Now they just have to "get rid" of Al Davis...... :goodposting:

Harry Douglas may still only be a slot WR but he has some potential and a connection with Matt Ryan

Robert Meachum will likely take Devery Henderson's spot. Meachum has skills and if he can put them all together has much more to offer than Henderson did.

Who knows what will happen with Earth/Wind/Fire RBBC. it seems as tho that Ward will likely be the one moved if any. Danny Ware could very well fill his role. Bradshaw is good but don't really see him taking the big chunk that Ward has/had

i know the jags usually like to run the ball and if there Oline is healthy they likely will return to that mold. Matt Jones had a very solid year. coming off this year with the confidence he built up with the coaching staff he could explode next year.

straight outta the tyler thigpen file, what about Brett Ratliff for the Jets next season if Favre actually retires? everything i've seen and read is that Ratliff has looked much better than Kellen Clemens

the Bucs starting QB for next year is a ? they could bring back Garcia/Griese or Luke McCown. McCown could be worth a look

on the defensive side of the ball we could see the return to fantasy dominance for Cato June as Derrick Brooks seems to be about done.

Lawrence Timmons may finally have a fulltime role on the inside. if he can gain experience or some instinct to go along with his freakish athleticism he could really be a player.

If Derrick Johnson proves he has the instincts to be MLB in the NFL with his opportunities for tackles he could blow up in IDP.

Another guy I'll be keeping an eye on is Josh Cribbs on Cleveland. Very unique player that appears very good in open space but not a typical "between the tackles" kind of RB, he's in that new class of RB/WR hybrid. Given the right playcalling I think he can make some noise.

Camarillo in PPR
Maybe, but I think Bess has done more than enough to at least make it a very competitive battle in training camp....if not take the job outright.
could be. Worth keeping an eye on for sure.
Certainly. And it definitely adds a twist given the fact that Camarillo signed an extension just days before the injury.
normally a ACL is scary stuff for anyone career, slowing Camarillo even more may very well take away his one shot as sticking as a starter

To add a player, I really like Jerome Harrison... looks pretty darn good in limited duties. For some reason the coaching staff just doesn't see it. He has a problem staying healthy but I like his upside.

To add a player, I really like Jerome Harrison... looks pretty darn good in limited duties. For some reason the coaching staff just doesn't see it. He has a problem staying healthy but I like his upside.
I like this call, especially with Mangini headed there. I can see him using Harrison similar to how he used Washington with the Jets. Though I haven't heard great things about harrison's pass blocking ability.

Except they were trying to trade him this season but now he has proven that he can play.
They must have known that before. Ray Rice. Higgins, James Jones.

I like this call, especially with Mangini headed there. I can see him using Harrison similar to how he used Washington with the Jets. Though I haven't heard great things about harrison's pass blocking ability.
Harrison's pass blocking is much improved, it's been his focus each offseason since he got here and has improved each year.Reasonable speculation on my part, Romeo didn't play Harrison much because he wanted Jamal to get 20+ touches/game, even when it wasn't working. A full blown committee next season would make me happy and I think there's a good chance it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread