What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is NEXT? (1 Viewer)

Another guy I'll be keeping an eye on is Josh Cribbs on Cleveland. Very unique player that appears very good in open space but not a typical "between the tackles" kind of RB, he's in that new class of RB/WR hybrid. Given the right playcalling I think he can make some noise.
Unless you're in a league that rewards return yardage and tackling there are better upside plays to make. Guy's a player and incredibly under rated, but he'll never be a meaningful contributor in standard leagues because of his special teams value. He should get a few touches/game, but rarely any more than that.

Harry Douglas may still only be a slot WR but he has some potential and a connection with Matt Ryan

Robert Meachum will likely take Devery Henderson's spot. Meachum has skills and if he can put them all together has much more to offer than Henderson did.

Who knows what will happen with Earth/Wind/Fire RBBC. it seems as tho that Ward will likely be the one moved if any. Danny Ware could very well fill his role. Bradshaw is good but don't really see him taking the big chunk that Ward has/had

i know the jags usually like to run the ball and if there Oline is healthy they likely will return to that mold. Matt Jones had a very solid year. coming off this year with the confidence he built up with the coaching staff he could explode next year.

straight outta the tyler thigpen file, what about Brett Ratliff for the Jets next season if Favre actually retires? everything i've seen and read is that Ratliff has looked much better than Kellen Clemens

the Bucs starting QB for next year is a ? they could bring back Garcia/Griese or Luke McCown. McCown could be worth a look

on the defensive side of the ball we could see the return to fantasy dominance for Cato June as Derrick Brooks seems to be about done.

Lawrence Timmons may finally have a fulltime role on the inside. if he can gain experience or some instinct to go along with his freakish athleticism he could really be a player.

If Derrick Johnson proves he has the instincts to be MLB in the NFL with his opportunities for tackles he could blow up in IDP.
Bolded the ones I am very much agreeing with you on. As for Tampa, what about Josh Johnson? Seems to have the most upside of all the Tampa QB's and could start week 1 2009.I'm not writing Meachem off (yet), but he's walking on thin ice.

I'm higher on Bradshaw's upside than you, but it appears as though the Giants' staff isn't as sold on him as I and many others are. You may be right but...I don't get it. If he doesn't see an uptick in touches in 2009 he'll likely have to wait for his 2nd contract before he's given an opportunity to produce.

Miles Austin for the Cowboys should start producing. Had it not been for injuries he would have had better stats. He has already taken the WR #3 role from Crayton and if the Dallas offense can get back on track in 2009 Austin would be a great target. In 2007 Crayton as the #3 WR had something like 700 yards and 6 tds not bad at all for a guy who can be had on the WW. Also there is speculation that if Garrett returns to Dallas as OC it would signify the end for TO meaning Austin would take over as the #2 WR which would really increase his value, again this is just speculation though.

mark clayton - second half numbers are something like 28/600/3
How many WR's take til their 4th year to break out? Not many, but I think Clayton could be an exception to the rule. With Flacco entering year 2 (hopefully) the staff will open up the playbook a bit more, I think Clayton could be the primary beneficiary. When given the opportunity this year Clayton looked electric.

I still believe in Brady Quinn, Trent Edwards, and Ted Ginn.

I expect Davone Bess to continue to emerge too.

If Boldin leaves, and Breaston takes his spot, the #3 in Arizona should be Early Doucet.

Jordy Nelson should have a more prominent role next year.

mark clayton - second half numbers are something like 28/600/3
How many WR's take til their 4th year to break out? Not many, but I think Clayton could be an exception to the rule. With Flacco entering year 2 (hopefully) the staff will open up the playbook a bit more, I think Clayton could be the primary beneficiary. When given the opportunity this year Clayton looked electric.
Next year will be Clayton's fifth. The splits mentioned previously are more like 24/525/2... not exactly breakout numbers even when extrapolated over a full season and certainly not a big jump over his first three seasons. The only jump is in yards/reception which is good to see but should be tempered by the fact he had a low number of receptions and a couple long TD receptions. That type of thing isn't always repeatable.That being said, I'll have an eye on Clayton (as I have for four years...). He should be the guy to benefit with the development of Flacco.

I still believe in Brady Quinn, Trent Edwards, and Ted Ginn.I expect Davone Bess to continue to emerge too.If Boldin leaves, and Breaston takes his spot, the #3 in Arizona should be Early Doucet.Jordy Nelson should have a more prominent role next year.
I like Jordy and James Jones if Driver leaves or is demoted. He is due about a $5 million bonus this year but will probably renegotiate.

Miles Austin for the Cowboys should start producing. Had it not been for injuries he would have had better stats. He has already taken the WR #3 role from Crayton and if the Dallas offense can get back on track in 2009 Austin would be a great target. In 2007 Crayton as the #3 WR had something like 700 yards and 6 tds not bad at all for a guy who can be had on the WW. Also there is speculation that if Garrett returns to Dallas as OC it would signify the end for TO meaning Austin would take over as the #2 WR which would really increase his value, again this is just speculation though.
Lots of good players brought up in this thread, but I want to second Austin in particular because he doesn't seem to have the same kind of awareness about him as some of the others because of his small school pedigree.Simmonjm is correct in pointing out that Austin had moved ahead of Crayton on the depth chart, and also that there is more opportunity in Dallas than you might think at first glance because TO's days are numbered (and quite frankly, Roy Williams looks like a bust).More important than opportunity and current depth chart status is Austin's talent and physical ability. He's always had a great size/speed combo, that's how he got his foot in the door even though he went to Monmouth. Through the first two years of his career, his outstanding athleticism and straight line speed for someone who goes about 6'3" 215 was apparent on kick returns, but what little chance he had to be a receiver showed a lack of natural ball skills and polish in his routes and execution. This year that all changed. Austin looked like a natural receiver bringing the ball in, losing none of his speed and agility (which would happen if he was thinking instead of just doing). His routes were sharp and his timing was on point. I believe he turned the corner, and the coaching staff seemed to agree when they promoted him. He's a real threat to take any catch the distance (just as he did as a kick returner), and he's still just learning how to use his natural size advantage.Even though Austin looks like a future starting WR (and a good one at that), he's still very much under the radar in the FF community. That will change in 2009, don't let him sit on your WW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of good players brought up in this thread, but I want to second Austin in particular because he doesn't seem to have the same kind of awareness about him as some of the others because of his small school pedigree.Simmonjm is correct in pointing out that Austin had moved ahead of Crayton on the depth chart, and also that there is more opportunity in Dallas than you might think at first glance because TO's days are numbered (and quite frankly, Roy Williams looks like a bust).More important than opportunity and current depth chart status is Austin's talent and physical ability. He's always had a great size/speed combo, that's how he got his foot in the door even though he went to Monmouth. Through the first two years of his career, his outstanding athleticism and straight line speed for someone who goes about 6'3" 215 was apparent on kick returns, but what little chance he had to be a receiver showed a lack of natural ball skills and polish in his routes and execution. This year that all changed. Austin looked like a natural receiver bringing the ball in, losing none of his speed and agility (which would happen if he was thinking instead of just doing). His routes were sharp and his timing was on point. I believe he turned the corner, and the coaching staff seemed to agree when they promoted him. He's a real threat to take any catch the distance (just as he did as a kick returner), and he's still just learning how to use his natural size advantage.Even though Austin looks like a future starting WR (and a good one at that), he's still very much under the radar in the FF community. That will change in 2009, don't let him sit on your WW.
I couldn't agree more all the way around. There were alot of questions surrounding Austin prior to training camp last year (primarily his hands), and he quickly qwelled those and came away as having one of the best camps of ALL players. Injuries quieted his season from the start, but he shined when he got his opportunities. He will be a major focal point this offseason to get him further prepared to produce in this offense next season. He, along with Felix Jones, brings the speed to the field that Dallas needs. If he has any degree of improvement that he demonstrated last offseason, he will be a major contributor on the field next season.

Ok... even if Austin is talented...

Witten

Owens

Roy Wms

Barber

Felix Jones

How many touches is he going to get? He's at best their fifth option even if the Cowboys jettison TO. And it's not like the team didn't know what they had in Austin when they gave up the farm to get Roy Williams and then paid him a fortune.

After rushing for 177 yards and 2 TDs today against Tampa, I think Michael Bush deserves mention. Oakland was trying to trade him before and I could see him getting traded to a team like Seattle where he could have a chance to start. I think he proved that he deserves a shot at being a featured back.
I don't think he goes anywhere. Trade market for RBs is non-existent, when you can pluck a decent free agent or a rookie that can contribute. They are a dime-a-dozen. Depth at RB is a luxury they can afford. He will get more carries, but it's gonna be a New Orleans/Giants RBBC next year in Oakland.
Except they were trying to trade him this season but now he has proven that he can play.
Maybe but the problem the Raiders have is that neither McFadden or Fargas can stay healthy.I personally think Bush will have a better carreer then Mcfadden , McFadden sure looks like a bust .Or i see them using McFadden and Bush like the Saints will be using Thomas and Bush ( Michael being used like Thomas ).

Sidney Rice - he got injured, he got 4 TD's on 15 receptions. Imagine if he was healthy all season? Obviously teams would cover him more carefully in the Red Zone, but you'd have to think it'd give more opportunities to Berrian and Peterson. This kind of thing comes full circle.

Bryant Johnson - First he was burried beneath Fitz and Boldin... surely had to learn alot from those two though. First year in a new system was rough, and with an obvious revamp of their Offensive System... You'd want to build it around your young up and coming reciever, who's shown flashes of talent. If he doesn't produce now, then I'll call him a bust.

Vernon Davis - erhm... never mind. But yeah, Singletary appears to like him...

Kevin Smith - You have to think you'll see some type of improvement in the Detroit Lions, he was more of a "Under the Radar" RBs last season. Noone wanted to touch a Lion... sides' Calvin.

Donnie Avery - For a few weeks there he was the second coming of christ.

Pierre Thomas
Good eye there chum. :mellow:
I'm thinking great player....not good.....chum
He had 12 touchdowns this season. But I get what you are saying.
Yeah. I don't get what people are expecting from him. He had that stretch of 2 TD games--we counting on 16+? I just don't see that.
Well with Duece getting slowly phased out and Bush coming off more knee problems, somebody has to step up. And Thomas has shown more than enough to handle the starting role, I'd say his floor next season is a RB2. Or am I missing alot of sarcasm here?

Pierre Thomas
Good eye there chum. :rolleyes:
I'm thinking great player....not good.....chum
He had 12 touchdowns this season. But I get what you are saying.
Yeah. I don't get what people are expecting from him. He had that stretch of 2 TD games--we counting on 16+? I just don't see that.
Well with Duece getting slowly phased out and Bush coming off more knee problems, somebody has to step up. And Thomas has shown more than enough to handle the starting role, I'd say his floor next season is a RB2. Or am I missing alot of sarcasm here?
I think Saber got it rolling by suggesting Pierre Thomas was an obvious choice.Personally, I think Thomas is in line with the OP's comparisons of Turner and Calvin (Two guys already somewhat high profile). OK, now can we give it a rest?

Although Schaub had a decent seson,I really think he overcomes the injury bug and puts up elite numbers next year. As far as 2nd year players go, I also like TE Keller in NY.

Ok... even if Austin is talented...WittenOwensRoy WmsBarberFelix JonesHow many touches is he going to get? He's at best their fifth option even if the Cowboys jettison TO. And it's not like the team didn't know what they had in Austin when they gave up the farm to get Roy Williams and then paid him a fortune.
Assuming he stays healthy, he'll get his touches. I can assure you on this one.

Ok... even if Austin is talented...WittenOwensRoy WmsBarberFelix JonesHow many touches is he going to get? He's at best their fifth option even if the Cowboys jettison TO. And it's not like the team didn't know what they had in Austin when they gave up the farm to get Roy Williams and then paid him a fortune.
Assuming he stays healthy, he'll get his touches. I can assure you on this one.
But can he get enough to be startable? I think he is better than Roy Williams, but unless you are in a pretty deep league I don't see how he can get enough touches to be a contributor on most Fantasy squads.

Users who are viewing this thread