What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the #1 QB? (1 Viewer)

Allen/Mahomes/Hurts choose one

• Hurts

Votes: 48 32.7%
  • Allen

Votes: 31 21.1%
  • Mahomes

Votes: 68 46.3%

• Total voters

Chaka

Footballguy
You're on the clock and have to take the first QB in your draft.

In no particular order Mahomes, Hurts & Allen are the consensus top 3.

Let's say 4 points/pass TD & 6 points per rush TD. Everything else is pretty standard.

Who are you taking?

I very likely will be facing this decision tomorrow. It's a great position to be in but I have been staring at the names and, it occurred to me that in all the posts I have made about the mid tier and lower tier guys this off-season, I have never considered what to do when faced with the cream of the crop.

Mahomes is the best QB in the NFL but he had to put up a career high 5,200 yards with 41 TDs & a career high 4 rush TD and still finished behind, or only marginally ahead of Allen & Hurts.

Allen feels like the "safest" bet with several years of top rushing/passing. And I don't really worry about anyone vulturing TDs. But he does take a lot of hits.

Hurts ran for 13 TDs last year, can he possibly hit double digit rushing TDs three years in a row?

Hurts.

Allen runs less this year.

Mahomes hands off more because of his receiving crew. No more jet sweep "pass" TDs for Mahomes, but rather, runs by Pacheco.
I can 100% see that. I can also 100% see every other option.

Do you really think Pacheco is going to significantly eat into Mahomes production? Is Pacheco even practicing?

ETA: and his receivers certainly can't be worse than last year. Maybe one of them surprises.

I'm shocked I'm the only who has voted Allen.

He's a better passer than Hurts, a better runner than Mahomes, and he's been better than Mahomes each of the last 3 seasons.

I think people keep waiting for something that's never going to happen when it comes to Allen running less. They say they will reduce it every year, its gone up 3 straight seasons.

If I was in a league with a million dollar buy in give me Mahomes. He is a lock for 4800 yards and 38 passing tds. Sprinkle in a couple rushing tds. Heck, last year he had 4 rushing tds.
Absolutely the safest pick and those numbers seem spot on

But 4 rush TDs doubled his career high.

Allen has also been tremendously consistent over the last three seasons. 4,400 yards, 36 TDs & 7 rush TDs on average.

I'm shocked I'm the only who has voted Allen.

He's a better passer than Hurts, a better runner than Mahomes, and he's been better than Mahomes each of the last 3 seasons.

I think people keep waiting for something that's never going to happen when it comes to Allen running less. They say they will reduce it every year, its gone up 3 straight seasons.
I am a little surprised by that too.

Wasn't this the narrative that had him firmly behind Allen and Herbert last year?

They didn't have a back like Pacheco going into the year, so there was no narrative like this. Don't forget, they were winging it with CEH and McKinnon, and the seventh round rookie was waiting in the wings.

burrow. he's been ascending every year. just a few more steps. best weapons of the top qbs. sneaks in rushing tds. could rush for 300-400 yards, pass for 5k and throw 40+ tds. sounds lofty but it's not that much more than what he already has done.

I think Lamar will be #1, but would feel terrific with any of the top QB.
2. Hurts - tush push play is automatic with this OL
3. Mahomes
4. Allen

I very likely will be facing this decision tomorrow. It's a great position to be in but I have been staring at the names and, it occurred to me that in all the posts I have made about the mid tier and lower tier guys this off-season, I have never considered what to do when faced with the cream of the crop.

Mahomes is the best QB in the NFL but he had to put up a career high 5,200 yards with 41 TDs & a career high 4 rush TD and still finished behind, or only marginally ahead of Allen & Hurts.

Allen feels like the "safest" bet with several years of top rushing/passing. And I don't really worry about anyone vulturing TDs. But he does take a lot of hits.

Hurts ran for 13 TDs last year, can he possibly hit double digit rushing TDs three years in a row?

The one thing with Hurts (I don't know if it's true with Mahomes and Allen) but the Eagles had a really easy schedule last year and in many games had a large lead by halftime and pretty much took their foot off the gas and went into an offensive shell in the second half of games. Hurts did most of his damage in the 1st half. It was one of the major knocks a lot of fans had with the Eagles, that they didn't play 4 quarters of football. This season, their schedule looks to be much harder and I expect the Eagles to have to keep their foot on the gas for longer into games. It could give a major boost to his numbers, or because of the tougher schedule could expose him as a fraud.

No Lamar Jackson in this conversation?
I think he has a legit shot but that's getting too cute for the #1 pick.
When everyone is going left, you gotta go right
I see the logic and if I was facing the choice of the top RB I may go with Chubb for that reason.

QBs are a different animal though, far more consistent year over year than RBs. These three guys may not finish as the top three but they shouldn't finish far off their averages either. I can't see taking anyone else as the first QB off the board. I wouldn't fault you for taking Lamar, my perfect scenario sees me trade down to 6 or 7 taking Lamar and getting an earlier second out of the exchange.

Wasn't this the narrative that had him firmly behind Allen and Herbert last year?

They didn't have a back like Pacheco going into the year, so there was no narrative like this. Don't forget, they were winging it with CEH and McKinnon, and the seventh round rookie was waiting in the wings.
You think very highly of Pacheco. I like him but no RB is going to become a focal point of an offense with Patrick Mahomes under center.

What do you see the o/u for Pacheco's touches? 250?

burrow. he's been ascending every year. just a few more steps. best weapons of the top qbs. sneaks in rushing tds. could rush for 300-400 yards, pass for 5k and throw 40+ tds. sounds lofty but it's not that much more than what he already has done.
Love Burrow. I think 300-400 yards is out of reach but he did rush for 5 TDs last year, I just wonder if that is something we can really count on going forward.

The one thing with Hurts (I don't know if it's true with Mahomes and Allen) but the Eagles had a really easy schedule last year and in many games had a large lead by halftime and pretty much took their foot off the gas and went into an offensive shell in the second half of games. Hurts did most of his damage in the 1st half. It was one of the major knocks a lot of fans had with the Eagles, that they didn't play 4 quarters of football. This season, their schedule looks to be much harder and I expect the Eagles to have to keep their foot on the gas for longer into games. It could give a major boost to his numbers, or because of the tougher schedule could expose him as a fraud.
Yeah, he is the biggest unknown of the bunch. The goal line love keeps him near the top, as does the offensive line, the skill position players and pretty much everything else. My biggest concern is he had a 5% bump in completion % last year. Is that sustainable? If he comes down to 63% it's still very good and in line with guys like Allen & Lamar, but I wonder about a little regression with Hurts.

Can he really put in 10+ TDs on the ground three years in a row? Cam Newton, who is leaps and bounds the best ever (so far) did it three times in his career.

For those promoting Lamar & Burrow: do you honestly believe you would draft them as the first QB overall? Could you really say "Lamar Jackson" when Patrick Mahomes is on the board?

I don't think I have the stones for that, but I would love to do it.

Yeah, he is the biggest unknown of the bunch. The goal line love keeps him near the top, as does the offensive line, the skill position players and pretty much everything else. My biggest concern is he had a 5% bump in completion % last year. Is that sustainable? If he comes down to 63% it's still very good and in line with guys like Allen & Lamar, but I wonder about a little regression with Hurts.

Can he really put in 10+ TDs on the ground three years in a row? Cam Newton, who is leaps and bounds the best ever (so far) did it three times in his career.

Wish I had an opinion on this, I'm curious myself if he's going to get better or regress. Reports from camp were that he was in total control of the offense and was better in camp this year than last year. But the starters didn't play a down in the preseason and the Eagles have a new OC so it's hard to even get a sense without seeing it for yourself.

Wish I had an opinion on this, I'm curious myself if he's going to get better or regress. Reports from camp were that he was in total control of the offense and was better in camp this year than last year. But the starters didn't play a down in the preseason and the Eagles have a new OC so it's hard to even get a sense without seeing it for yourself.
Yeah the reports coming out of camp, mostly I heard about from you I think, sounded great.

Would you take Hurts over Mahomes & Allen?

Yeah the reports coming out of camp, mostly I heard about from you I think, sounded great.

It's like asking which supermodel I want to date. You really can't go wrong either way. The difference between them will probably be maybe 1 or 1.5 points a game. Gun to my head, I'd go Mahomes simply because I believe he is the most likely to avoid injury and play all 17 games.

In Best Ball leagues Kelce usually goes between the 4th and 8th pick in the 1st rd, and Mahomes gets picked in the next round by whoever drafted Kelce, which is helping his ADP. When Kelce is gone ,Mahomes will be the 5th or 6th QB off the board.

It's like asking which supermodel I want to date. You really can't go wrong either way. The difference between them will probably be maybe 1 or 1.5 points a game. Gun to my head, I'd go Mahomes simply because I believe he is the most likely to avoid injury and play all 17 games.
Yes but remember; no matter how hot the supermodel is, some person somewhere is tired of their ####.

For those promoting Lamar & Burrow: do you honestly believe you would draft them as the first QB overall? Could you really say "Lamar Jackson" when Patrick Mahomes is on the board?

I don't think I have the stones for that, but I would love to do it.
no. but i can say i have more burrow than the top 3 guys. been buying the dip on burrow with his injury. so some hopium on my part. i have shares of all the top guys through tlaw. got burrow twice last night (6th round in a 12 teamer and 7th round in a 10 teamer). i'll take that over having to spend a 2nd or 3rd for a guy who is on the heels of the top guys anyway.

I could see any of the big six or seven (if you want to include Fields) finishing #1 this season. But IMO the guy with the safest top-5 floor is Mahomes. That factor would have me taking him #1. Also isn't hurting his appeal that he plays LVR and CIN at home weeks 16-17. Chiefs will probably need to score a lot of points in those games to win.

I hate taking the first one of them off the board. In a perfect world, it's your pick and 2 of the 3 are gone and you grab the last.

Suspended Mahomes is winning. He’s got the leash room for error, especially in 4 pt per passing TD. He needs to throw A LOT of TDs. Hurts and Allen are definitely above him for me.

Hint: receiving targets Olave, Thomas, Shaheed, Three Quans, Kamara, Miller, Johnson, Graham, Moreau.
You have no idea how much I would like to do that, if for no other reason than to film the reactions.

But I think I might have a shot at him a little later.

Users who are viewing this thread