What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the #1 QB? (1 Viewer)

Allen/Mahomes/Hurts choose one

• Hurts

Votes: 48 32.7%
  • Allen

Votes: 31 21.1%
  • Mahomes

Votes: 68 46.3%

• Total voters
Not one mention of Fields?

Improved weapons. And he's still going to run.
No.

I like Fields, Burrow, Herbert, Burrow, Lamar but my question is if you have to take the first QB, meaning Mahomes, Allen & Hurts are available, are you really going to pull the trigger on Fields above them?

Or are you hoping you can pick the 4th QB, where a guy like Fields makes more sense?

I took Hurts over Mahomes in my main home league because of playoff schedule.

Allen is a distant third for me because of the way the Bills offense looked out of sorts at times last year.

I took Hurts over Mahomes in my main home league because of playoff schedule.

Allen is a distant third for me because of the way the Bills offense looked out of sorts at times last year.
I like it. I don't like to use SoS but I also think NYG & Ari at home are nice matchups to end the year.

I love the depth and talent of the Eagles…they have 2 great wrs, a great stable of RBs, a good TE, a good line…he can run and throw…what’s not to like.

Man, I never thought over the last three years of sticking up for Hurts that I'd find myself arguing against taking him #1 overall one day. Luv it.

Last edited:
I love the depth and talent of the Eagles…they have 2 great wrs, a great stable of RBs, a good TE, a good line…he can run and throw…what’s not to like.
Honestly, there is nothing not to like. He does have the best supporting cast. Particularly the offensive line.

My principal concern is the fact that no QB has ever rushed for 10 TDs in 3 consecutive seasons. It is precedent crushing and that worries me. If he puts up 5 rush TDs does he even finish top 5 as a QB?

But I can make a similar arguments against Mahomes and Allen.

People like to get cute at times. I’d take mahomes even in dynasty.
Is Allen>Mahomes really "getting cute" though?
I think so. I think hurts>mahomes is as well. Mahomes is the best qb in the league, he has unrelenting desire to win to go along with the toughness that’s necessary.

Rushing numbers are fantastic(Allen and hurts >mahomes rushing) for qbs. But 10/10 I’ll take the qb that can score just the same through the air even with bad wheels.

In 4 pt. passing leagues* I really have all three valued about the same and see their differences as being negligible. That said, your thread had me run the thought exercise of "which of the players would surprise me the most if, assuming no fluke injuries, they didn't finish in the top 5?" And, there, I'm pretty easily set on Mahomes because he's been the most consistent for the longest and was elite last year without elite wrs.

*In 6-point passing leagues I do prefer Mahomes and Allen to Hurts (Hurts is still my QB #3).

Hurts.

Barely played in second half of games last year cause they were blowing people out. Harder schedule this year. He will have to play more. Bigger numbers.....

Drafted Lamar in the 4th in my local. Love that pick value, huge potential and preferable to me over the big 3 who are gone by end of round 2. All that said, and as much as I love getting him and the likes of Herbert and Lawrence 3-4 rounds after the big guys, it's hard to see past them to finish as the top 3 again, barring injury. You almost can't go wrong with any of them. I'd go Mahomes by a hair over the other two, Hurts a close second.

You're on the clock and have to take the first QB in your draft.

In no particular order Mahomes, Hurts & Allen are the consensus top 3.

Let's say 4 points/pass TD & 6 points per rush TD. Everything else is pretty standard.

Who are you taking?

It’s Hurts for me all day. I had him last year and because their defense was so good last year they literally didn’t have to play offense in the 4th quarter. He would score 30 fantasy pts in the first half and than doing nothing the second half

Hurts was #1 and on pace to have a record breaking season as a fantasy QB before he missed those last few games. He looked elite last year as a passer. Dude literally has no hobbies outside of football. He is only going to get better. He gets mad when practice is over lol

Their schedule is more difficult this year. They are going to be in a lot of close games this year and keep having to put the petal to the metal

He is the best goal line RB in the NFL . He can squat something ridiculous like 700lbs

I think so. I think hurts>mahomes is as well. Mahomes is the best qb in the league, he has unrelenting desire to win to go along with the toughness that’s necessary.

Rushing numbers are fantastic(Allen and hurts >mahomes rushing) for qbs. But 10/10 I’ll take the qb that can score just the same through the air even with bad wheels.
I am not going to question the heart or drive of any of these guys.

If I need to win a real NFL game tomorrow then Mahomes is the unanimous choice. That's why he is in this conversation. He's a virtual lock for a top 5 finish in fantasy. But so are Allen & Hurts.

But #1 finishes are a little more difficult.

Mahomes had career highs is passing yards & rushing TDs on top of 41 passing TDs and still didn't finish as the #1 QB.

His only QB#1 finish needed 5,000 yards passing and 52 TDs. That's a lot to ask of anyone.

Allen has finished as the #1QB two of the last three years. His averages over that span give him a great shot at another #1 finish.

I will be happy with any of them and, there is no reasoning oneself into the correct answer. But I do appreciate the conversation.

Thanks.

In 4 pt. passing leagues* I really have all three valued about the same and see their differences as being negligible. That said, your thread had me run the thought exercise of "which of the players would surprise me the most if, assuming no fluke injuries, they didn't finish in the top 5?" And, there, I'm pretty easily set on Mahomes because he's been the most consistent for the longest and was elite last year without elite wrs.

*In 6-point passing leagues I do prefer Mahomes and Allen to Hurts (Hurts is still my QB #3).
Interesting. When I remove freak injury from the equation I give a bump to both Allen & Hurts relative to Mahomes.

Hurts.

Barely played in second half of games last year cause they were blowing people out. Harder schedule this year. He will have to play more. Bigger numbers.....
Yeah that was mentioned up thread and it's very interesting. I see he threw 14 TDs in first halfs and ran for 9, while in second halfs he passed for 8 and ran for 4.

Personally I don't put much stock in SoS but when I look at it I think all but one of his potentially most difficult games are at home. Minnesota, Miami, Buffalo & San Francisco are home games. Seahawks, Jets & Kansas City are on the road.

The Dallas D is ferocious and so are the Jets & Niners (if Bosa is back) otherwise I don't see a ton to get worried about.

The thing that makes me nervous about Hurts is his rush/pass TD ratio. Double digit rush TDs three years in a row is unprecedented. If that declines then he needs to make a huge jump in the pass TD dept.

How was his red zone passing efficiency?

Hurts.

Yeah that was mentioned up thread and it's very interesting. I see he threw 14 TDs in first halfs and ran for 9, while in second halfs he passed for 8 and ran for 4.

Personally I don't put much stock in SoS but when I look at it I think all but one of his potentially most difficult games are at home. Minnesota, Miami, Buffalo & San Francisco are home games. Seahawks, Jets & Kansas City are on the road.

The Dallas D is ferocious and so are the Jets & Niners (if Bosa is back) otherwise I don't see a ton to get worried about.

The thing that makes me nervous about Hurts is his rush:pass TD ratio. Double digit rush TDs three years in a row is unprecedented. If that declines then he needs to make a huge jump in the pass TD dept.

How was his red zone passing efficiency?

He wa great. And getting better. Really can't go wrong.with any of the three. I would put Allen last because I think their window is closing.....

Let's say 4 points/pass TD & 6 points per rush TD. Everything else is pretty standard.

Who are you taking?

It’s Hurts for me all day. I had him last year and because their defense was so good last year they literally didn’t have to play offense in the 4th quarter. He would score 30 fantasy pts in the first half and than doing nothing the second half

Hurts was #1 and on pace to have a record breaking season as a fantasy QB before he missed those last few games. He looked elite last year as a passer. Dude literally has no hobbies outside of football. He is only going to get better. He gets mad when practice is over lol

Their schedule is more difficult this year. They are going to be in a lot of close games this year and keep having to put the petal to the metal

He is the best goal line RB in the NFL . He can squat something ridiculous like 700lbs
Wow. Nice.

I think their defense looks every bit as good this year, if not better.

In 4pt I’m taking Hurts, in 6pt I want Herbert

I dont see how Herbert gets close to these 3 but to each their own

I just think the OC change and everyone(including himself) healthy will allow for a huge year for Herbert. Seems primed for a bounce back year in a big way. His price point in comparison is a bonus too.
Moore had Dak on pace for some big years, that's for sure.

Thanks for all the input.

For me the most surprising result of the poll is how few votes Allen garnered.

He's 27 coming off three year averages of 4,400 yards passing, 36 pass TDs with 648 yards rushing and 7 rush TDs.

His team added talent in the passing game and on the offensive line and he has no significant injury history.

Over the last three years he has finished as QB1, QB1 & QB2.

But he got less than 20% of the votes.

Isn't he the most likely to have a top 3 finish?

The only negative I have read in here is a general feeling that the Bills' window is closing.

Does anyone have a clear argument against Allen?

I am not going to question the heart or drive of any of these guys.

If I need to win a real NFL game tomorrow then Mahomes is the unanimous choice. That's why he is in this conversation. He's a virtual lock for a top 5 finish in fantasy. But so are Allen & Hurts.

But #1 finishes are a little more difficult.

Mahomes had career highs is passing yards & rushing TDs on top of 41 passing TDs and still didn't finish as the #1 QB.

His only QB#1 finish needed 5,000 yards passing and 52 TDs. That's a lot to ask of anyone.

Allen has finished as the #1QB two of the last three years. His averages over that span give him a great shot at another #1 finish.

I will be happy with any of them and, there is no reasoning oneself into the correct answer. But I do appreciate the conversation.

Thanks.
It really just comes down to the passing upside for me. Imo mahomes is the best passer. We all know how running qbs end up. So (for me) I’ll take the better passer.

I agree all these guys are great. Unfortunately I only have Allen in one league and no shares of the other two or burrow which will probably end up in these topics sooner than later.

He's 27 coming off three year averages of 4,400 yards passing, 36 pass TDs with 648 yards rushing and 7 rush TDs.

His team added talent in the passing game and on the offensive line and he has no significant injury history.

The only negative I have read in here is a general feeling that the Bills' window is closing.

The only thing I have to say about Allen is he’s grown as a passer more than anyone thought he would. And as his running ability declines one would think he’ll improve more as a passer. He is a bit reckless but I wouldn’t fault anyone for taking him over mahomes. I’d certainly be happy if I was next up though!

it's possible the #1 is someone not in the 3 players the OP listed.
I give you Trevor Lawrence, Deshaun Watson, Danny Dimes.
Watson has the best supporting cast he's ever had, and a coaching staff hell bent on opening it up, airing it out. For $240m they gave Watson, they're going to use his arm till it falls off.
Lawrence is an ascending star. primed for 5k yards/35+TD.
If the Josh Allen turn around is any indication of what Daboll is capable of, Danny Dimes has a legit shot at NFL MVP.
Fields ran off a number of 50+ TDs last season, that won't happen again. They have a guy named Khalil Herbert to do that stuff. KH's efficiency last year was off-the-charts. I dont think ppl give this guy a look, he's going to be a beast. This should diminish Fields' run opportunities to a certain degree.

Watson has the best supporting cast he's ever had, and a coaching staff hell bent on opening it up, airing it out. For $240m they gave Watson, they're going to use his arm till it falls off.
If the Josh Allen turn around is any indication of what Daboll is capable of, Danny Dimes has a legit shot at NFL MVP.
Fields ran off a number of 50+ TDs last season, that won't happen again. They have a guy named Khalil Herbert to do that stuff. KH's efficiency last year was off-the-charts. I dont think ppl give this guy a look, he's going to be a beast. This should diminish Fields' run opportunities to a certain degree.
I'm aware, but thank you.

My response is: If every QB is available do you confidently walk to the podium and select DeShaun Watson (or any of those others) over Mahomes/Allen/Hurts?

I very likely will be facing this decision tomorrow. It's a great position to be in but I have been staring at the names and, it occurred to me that in all the posts I have made about the mid tier and lower tier guys this off-season, I have never considered what to do when faced with the cream of the crop.

Mahomes is the best QB in the NFL but he had to put up a career high 5,200 yards with 41 TDs & a career high 4 rush TD and still finished behind, or only marginally ahead of Allen & Hurts.

Allen feels like the "safest" bet with several years of top rushing/passing. And I don't really worry about anyone vulturing TDs. But he does take a lot of hits.

Hurts ran for 13 TDs last year, can he possibly hit double digit rushing TDs three years in a row?

The one thing with Hurts (I don't know if it's true with Mahomes and Allen) but the Eagles had a really easy schedule last year and in many games had a large lead by halftime and pretty much took their foot off the gas and went into an offensive shell in the second half of games. Hurts did most of his damage in the 1st half. It was one of the major knocks a lot of fans had with the Eagles, that they didn't play 4 quarters of football. This season, their schedule looks to be much harder and I expect the Eagles to have to keep their foot on the gas for longer into games. It could give a major boost to his numbers, or because of the tougher schedule could expose him as a fraud.
Yeah, he is the biggest unknown of the bunch. The goal line love keeps him near the top, as does the offensive line, the skill position players and pretty much everything else. My biggest concern is he had a 5% bump in completion % last year. Is that sustainable? If he comes down to 63% it's still very good and in line with guys like Allen & Lamar, but I wonder about a little regression with Hurts.

Can he really put in 10+ TDs on the ground three years in a row? Cam Newton, who is leaps and bounds the best ever (so far) did it three times in his career.
For what it’s worth, all the word out of camp was that he legit made no bad passes. Made hard throws, threw guys open and never ever put the ball in harms way.

And yes I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get 10 rushing TDs again. There will be some designed runs, and a few of the tush-push TDs and he’ll have a few that just unfold on accident.

No Lamar Jackson in this conversation?
Why would he be? Running a lot is what made him a top tier fantasy QB for a few years, and now he will be doing that less (supposedly). Throw in that he has been injury-prone the last few years, and I'd be shocked if he finished as the number 1 QB this season.

Who are you taking?

Wow. Nice.

I think their defense looks every bit as good this year, if not better.
I see this as a good thing. Their schedule is definitely more difficult this year. The defense still being elite will create turnovers and more scoring opportunities, but because of the schedule they will still need to go full force if the games are indeed closer this year. Eagles were the best team last year.

His passing is only going to get better. Just look at his numbers in the Super Bowl…. And he beat himself up over that game because of the 2 mistakes he made…

Could be the perfect storm for fantasy football for Hurts this year

Last edited:
I'll still go Mahommes. His floor is so insanely high. He's been so consistent. I don't think any order is wrong.

I do think there's a world where Burrow and Herbert are contending for the #1 overall QB spot at year's end. I'm not drafting them before the other 3. Wouldn't dream of it. But I'm pretty happy to gobble up Burrow an Herbert a little bit later.

If we are being fair, Allen has been QB1 in each of the last 3 seasons. The only reason he wasn't #1 last year was because he had a game cancelled due to his teammate almost dying. Its not like we can blame Allen for that.

I had Allen #1, and I'm blown away he's 3rd. He's more proven than Hurts, has more upside than Mahomes, and did much of it last year playing though an injury to his throwing elbow. Allen was on pace for 5100-38 passing and 900-8 rushing before that injury, and likely has better weapons now.

I think its very fair to group the 3 together, but its Allen>>Hurts>Mahomes in my opinion.

ETA: Allen's last 3 seasons are better than any 3 cherry picked seasons from Manning or Brady's career fantasy wise, and as good as any 3 Rodgers seasons. Is it the coming up short in the NFL playoffs that knocks him in people's minds?

Wow. Didnt realize Allen had finished that high the last 3 years, I doubt I get a shot at any of these guys unless I pull the trigger in round 2. 12 team no PPR and typical mocks show them all going before my pick at 10th in the 3rd round.

I'll still go Mahommes. His floor is so insanely high. He's been so consistent. I don't think any order is wrong.

I do think there's a world where Burrow and Herbert are contending for the #1 overall QB spot at year's end. I'm not drafting them before the other 3. Wouldn't dream of it. But I'm pretty happy to gobble up Burrow an Herbert a little bit later.
100% on everything. I think, ultimately, I had them ranked Allen, Mahomes, Hurts but there wasn't a wrong answer.

I made it a thread because I realized we never really talk about having too many good options.

If we are being fair, Allen has been QB1 in each of the last 3 seasons. The only reason he wasn't #1 last year was because he had a game cancelled due to his teammate almost dying. Its not like we can blame Allen for that.

I had Allen #1, and I'm blown away he's 3rd. He's more proven than Hurts, has more upside than Mahomes, and did much of it last year playing though an injury to his throwing elbow. Allen was on pace for 5100-38 passing and 900-8 rushing before that injury, and likely has better weapons now.

I think its very fair to group the 3 together, but its Allen>>Hurts>Mahomes in my opinion.

ETA: Allen's last 3 seasons are better than any 3 cherry picked seasons from Manning or Brady's career fantasy wise, and as good as any 3 Rodgers seasons. Is it the coming up short in the NFL playoffs that knocks him in people's minds?
I am on board with everything you said. He has the perfect balance of consistency and upside.

I decided to go with Hurts for two reasons: 1) because I like stacking QB/WR combos, YMMV, and I thought there was a better chance to get AJ at #24 (I was right Diggs was gone and I took AJ) and 2) because I decided I like to have fun playing this game and I felt Hurts was the guy I am more interested in watching this year.

But, I do believe Allen was the "right" choice.

Wow. Didnt realize Allen had finished that high the last 3 years, I doubt I get a shot at any of these guys unless I pull the trigger in round 2. 12 team no PPR and typical mocks show them all going before my pick at 10th in the 3rd round.
When is your draft?

I play in a league with bonus points for milestones. 300 yards, 100 yards rushing etc. Bonus points for long plays, etc.

What the net effect really is, is that a QB who throws for 260, runs for 60, and runs in two TDs can get easily outscored by a guy who throws for 320 yards, and maybe has two intermediate TD passes. The total yardage of the rushing QB can be more than the pure passer, but if the passer hits milestones, he gets a big bump.

In THAT league, Joe Burrow is my guy,

I play in a league with bonus points for milestones. 300 yards, 100 yards rushing etc. Bonus points for long plays, etc.

What the net effect really is, is that a QB who throws for 260, runs for 60, and runs in two TDs can get easily outscored by a guy who throws for 320 yards, and maybe has two intermediate TD passes. The total yardage of the rushing QB can be more than the pure passer, but if the passer hits milestones, he gets a big bump.

I like this format. It equalizes the rushing QB cheat code.

This league is a GD blast.

Full defense IDP, 22 rounds of offense, 22 of defense, back to back. keep 5 on offense and defense, give up the round draft pick you took them--for as long as you want. Big bonus scoring , teams score well over 200 points every week. 300 points is a big big week. (including defensive players)

One league 24 teams, two conferences, two separate drafts. Champs pllay each other for the $4000 grand prize, the Cristal Cup we had made, and on and on. So great.

This league is a GD blast.

Full defense IDP, 22 rounds of offense, 22 of defense, back to back. keep 5 on offense and defense, give up the round draft pick you took them--for as long as you want. Big bonus scoring , teams score well over 200 points every week. 300 points is a big big week. (including defensive players)

One league 24 teams, two conferences, two separate drafts. Champs pllay each other for the $4000 grand prize, the Cristal Cup we had made, and on and on. So great.
Okay, the rest of it sounds horrible. Oof, I like naps.

But the QB equalization thing is fire.

That's what the kids say nowadays, right? Fire? Or is it like volcano-monsoon or something now?

If I still played fantasy and I wanted to win leagues I’d target Lawrence everywhere.

Herbert too

Leaning more and more Allen with each passing moment, even over Froggy Fresh, tho I do think Mahomes has the higher floor and is most likely of any QB to at least finish in the top tier (i.e. at most a point or two away from the #1 in PPG).

I think I am a bit jaded b/c last year I had Allen in two (of three) leagues and Hurts in the other and in both cases, injury sapped them come playoff time, where Mahomie kept rolling hot through the end.

Ultimately, this game is not about who finishes #1 overall in total points. And it's also not about #1 in PPG. I have to regularly remind myself every draft season, this game is actually about who is still left standing and scoring elite PPG in weeks 15-17. Odds still favor Froggy to be that guy this season, but man, do I luv Hurts and Allen is just boss.

Mahomes is the safest pick imo (the one least likely to fall off the map when healthy).
Not much to say about Allen. Going with him isn't a bad decision.
Hurts doesn't have the longer track record I like to have when investing an early pick on a QB.
I actually like Lamar this year, but not as much as the top three. Burrow seems like the safest pick outside the top guys (maybe he is a top guy).
I do NOT like Herbert at all in fantasy. I think he'll be taken too early, I have no faith in the coach and I just don't see that team going anywhere (disgruntled players and a tough division).

Mahomes...Allen...Hurts...Jackson...Burrow...a few other guys...Herbert.

Users who are viewing this thread