What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the most overrated player in the NFL? (1 Viewer)

Who is the NFL's most overrated player

• Michael Vick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Warren Sapp

• Lavar Arrington

• Keyshawn Johnson

• Tom Brady

• Ray Lewis

• Champ Bailey

• Brian Urlacher

• Peyton Manning

• (other)

• Total voters

azcards33

Footballguy
I recently heard a discussion on Sporting News radio based on an article that Sporting News did on who is the NFL's most overrated player.Kevin Wheeler did a show on this as well the other night, and I listed some of the players that Wheeler's callers voted as most overrated.Who is the most overrated player?

Tough call between Bailey and Vick for me as both are well deserving IMO. I picked Bailey though. Plan and simple, Vick wins and does have a great impact on the field when he plays for Atl. Be it inconsistent as hell, he still makes a great impact. Bailey didnt seem to be able to improve the play of the Den secondary while the play of his former Wash team has with out him. He gets beaten FAR too often for a "shut down corner", which I think the league lacks as a whole. Both of these guys are promoted for far more than they really are, but Bailey gets my vote.

Among skill players, Clinton Portis comes to mind. He's still extremely good, but seems to have benefited somewhat from the vaunted Denver OL.Coming into this season, he was probably viewed on par with LT and Lewis, but those two have historically been able to dominate with virtually no passing game. Portis has yet to show that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think any of those players are overrated.Here are a few that I think are:K RobinsonS MossR GardnerAny Denver RBD CulpepperS McNair

Koren Robinson
:goodposting:Right now I'll have to include Trent Green in the discussion. More than Ray Lewis or Tom Brady anyway. I voted for Warren Sapp, but it's more due to age. Career wise, the guy is a definite HOFer.

I don't think any of those players are overrated.Here are a few that I think are:K RobinsonS MossR GardnerAny Denver RBD CulpepperS McNair
The list was not created by me.This is a list from the Sporting News and their survey of who the most overrated player is.One of the guys on this list won the distinction of being the most overrated player in the game

I think Vick is overrated, but not the most in that he's clearly a very dangerous weapon capable of helping a team win (a lot) of games. QBs I would consider overrated include: Aaron Brooks, Joey Harrington and Ben Roethlisberger

I think Vick is overrated, but not the most in that he's clearly a very dangerous weapon capable of helping a team win (a lot) of games. QBs I would consider overrated include: Aaron Brooks, Joey Harrington and Ben Roethlisberger
How in the world does a guy who is a rookie, not even having played a full season yet and still undefeted get mentioned in the likes of these 2 guys. Ben has won more games in his first 11 then these 2 combined and had less games to do it.

Marshall Faulk is the most overrated player by Snickers (seriously, would they even miss a beat if a dinosaur crushed him?)Warren Sapp has faded into the background a bit this year, but it was seriously sickening when he got Ray Lewis-level attention and wasn't close to being the best player on the Tampa DI think I'm going to choose LaDanian Tomlinson as most overrated because I'm considering the audience as the fantasy sports players. He may have been hurt this year in a nagging sort of way, but I don't think he performed up to the consensus expectations for him.Finally, I think Brett Favre is probably the most overrated player by the average fan.

I think I'm going to choose LaDanian Tomlinson as most overrated because I'm considering the audience as the fantasy sports players. He may have been hurt this year in a nagging sort of way, but I don't think he performed up to the consensus expectations for him.
Wow, you sure have some lofty expectations. Despite his injury troubles, he's sitting on top of the RB leader board in my league.

I think I'm going to choose LaDanian Tomlinson as most overrated because I'm considering the audience as the fantasy sports players. He may have been hurt this year in a nagging sort of way, but I don't think he performed up to the consensus expectations for him.
Wow, you sure have some lofty expectations. Despite his injury troubles, he's sitting on top of the RB leader board in my league.
Maybe he is comparing it to the projections most had. Ya know the 2400+ yds and 20 tds that most projected for him this season in the spotlight thread.

Actually, I had lower expectations of Tomlinson than I think most owners did. I have him in one of my 4 leagues, and he has made me very happy. I just think most fantasy guys expect somebody to explode for 2000/20 every year and that Tomlinson was that guy this year.

Maybe he is comparing it to the projections most had. Ya know the 2400+ yds and 20 tds that most projected for him this season in the spotlight thread.
Exactly. I'm not basing it on my expectations but on what was common at the start of the year.

Exactly. I'm not basing it on my expectations but on what was common at the start of the year.
Fair enough - he may get close on the TDs, but the yardage will fall well short.That said, in no way do I think he's overrated - he's been battling a bad groin injury all year. Given the way he's producing with that injury, if anything he may be UNDERRATED (or at least underappreciated).

Yes Brett Favre is great choice in this.... ohh wait he isnt a choice. :shrug: Not directed at poster.

That's valid.But, what one RB would you most want in a redraft for next year, or a dynasty league?The one RB that everyone has to list as a top 3 for both of those answers is LT. Does that make him overrated?

That's valid.But, what one RB would you most want in a redraft for next year, or a dynasty league?The one RB that everyone has to list as a top 3 for both of those answers is LT. Does that make him overrated?
Umm no, I would want Willis. Yes in both, but especially in a dynasty.

I hate to say it as a Jets homer, but I think Chad Pennington is starting to get somewhat overrated, at least here in NY.I love Chad and think he's got big time potential, but he's generally been placed on a mantlepiece by the NY media. He still has to prove to me that he can overcome top-notch defenses, which he's had trouble doing so far.

How in the world does a guy who is a rookie, not even having played a full season yet and still undefeted get mentioned in the likes of these 2 guys. Ben has won more games in his first 11 then these 2 combined and had less games to do it.
Hey jurb,The question was who was overrated? I think Big Ben deserves a ton of credit, but the idea that he's worthy of MVP consideration is silly IMHO. The guy is playing the role of Trent Dilfer in Baltimore for the Steelers this year. He's managing the game, limiting his mistakes and staying out of the way of a running game and defense. When asked, he's made a big throw or two. But anyone that's averaging 170 yards and 14 completions per game is a caretaker and people need to recognize that. To be clear, I think Big Ben can and will develop into a true passer, but right now he's not the reason the Steelers are winning games, other than the fact that he's not losing them either.

That's a VERY good one IMHO JohnnyU. With the proliferation of pass catching tight ends in the last few years, Shockey's injuries, dropsies and attitude seemingly cast a shadow over the considerable reputation he carried with him into the league.

Umm no, I would want Willis. Yes in both, but especially in a dynasty.
Hence, my comment about the top 3. Very few would argue that LT isn't a top 3 pick in any league.I disagree with Willis, but he's done well thus far.

Everyone.With the way the media slobbers over all the top notch NFL players, it's impossible to live up to their hype. Mostof them are actually good players, but are hyped so much you'd think they play both ways, kick field goals, return punts and work the concession stand.

how does vick not live up to the hype?look at ATL's record with him as a starter and without. any questions?the most overrated player is brian urlacher. with the exception of being white and playing in a major media market what has he done?the bears caught lightning in a bottle a few years back, and he hasnt come close to repeating his performance, yet his jersey is among the top sellers, he is a pro bowler, and the media falls all over him when he makes his 2 plays a year

I voted for Vick. An incredible athlete but there is no consistency. Two years ago I thought he was a can't miss stud. :bag:

how does vick not live up to the hype?

look at ATL's record with him as a starter and without. any questions?
Just one. How come whenever people bring up the record deal with Vick they never bring up the fact the other QBs the Falcons had last year were pathetic and because of that Atlanta had virtually no chance at winning whatsoever? Not to knock Vick, but something tells me if he got hurt again this year the Falcons would fare MUCH better than they did a year ago.

Trent Green.The guy is an awful QB. I've watched about 4 or 5 complete KC games this year and he has overthrown, underthrown or throw behind his receiver at least 7-10 times. Maybe I notice this more because I have Gonzo and Kennison on my roster, but damn is he awful.Champ Bailey also should get alot of consideration. For the "best" shutdown corner in the league to get light up by Jerry Porter for 3 tds in a freakin blizzard and Chad "Pepto" Johnson to make a fool of him on Monday nite, he is definitly WAY overrated.

Warren Sapp has faded into the background a bit this year, but it was seriously sickening when he got Ray Lewis-level attention and wasn't close to being the best player on the Tampa D
oh, I would really disagree with you on this..

I voted Ray Lewis. I think he is not nearly as good as he was 3 years ago. He is rated to be the best linebacker, but there are several guys who are just as good if not better. Lewis leads the league in tackles this year, but I think that is a function of the Ravens defensive scheme and hometown scorekeeping. Lewis only has 1 sack this year. and he hs no ints or forced fumbles.I have only seen the Ravens play a couple of times, and in neither game did it seem like Lewis dominated. McGahee stiff-armend him on two consecutive plays like he was a corner back.He is still a very good linebacker, but I think he is rated to be head and shoulders above all other linebackers, and he used to be that good, but not any more.

Just one. How come whenever people bring up the record deal with Vick they never bring up the fact the other QBs the Falcons had last year were pathetic and because of that Atlanta had virtually no chance at winning whatsoever? Not to knock Vick, but something tells me if he got hurt again this year the Falcons would fare MUCH better than they did a year ago.
becasue they have basically the same players this year as last year. vick makes thier defense better too. cant explain it, but look at the defensive stats with him in the lineup and without.

atl's record speaks for itself. if p.manning goes down in indy and qb#2 stinks the joint up, do you say that manning is overrated? ...hey they could have gotten a better qb than qb#2 and fared much better

becasue they have basically the same players this year as last year. vick makes thier defense better too. cant explain it, but look at the defensive stats with him in the lineup and without.
I'm not knocking Vick's importance to the team. I agree they are obviously much better with him than without him.However, the Atlanta backup QB situation was a joke last year. No way that team wins with what they had. I think they have a very good chance of winning games this year with Shaub at QB. That's a HUGE difference between the two teams in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread