What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who was your first fantasy pick ever (1 Viewer)

As I said in the other thread: Joe Montana 1988. I think the rest of my team consisted of Henry Ellard, Hershall Walker, Neil Anderson, and Art Monk. not sure about those though.
Same here. I pretty much dispised the team/fans at the time, however I knew Montana was the best ever. I also got Rice in the 2nd rnd. Of course, we all laughed at my friend when he took the very small B. Sanders coming out of college in the 2nd round. OOps, my buddy still brings this pick up every now and then during drafting season.

1999 - QB Steve Young... out for the season come game 3. :wall: picked Marshall Faulk in the 2nd and just missed Edgerin James in the 3rd :wall: settled for Jimmy Smith.picked up Steve Beuerlein before the pick up deadline... won the league with that pick up.

I entered an est. 12 team re-draft league. I had the No. 1 pick in what I now refer to as " the year T. Davis did in his knee and me". I went 10-4, and lost in the SB. I wish I could remember how I did that. :wacko:

1991 John Elway followed by, honest to god, Marion Butts. :o Just squeaked into the playoffs. That league musta been pretty bad.

I've got you all beat - how about PETE STOYANOVICH in 1994! Look at all those points he scored :wall: But I got Mr. Holdout Emmitt Smith in the 2nd round -- gravy trained him for three years and two titles in a dynasty league. :thumbup:
Emmitt held out in 93, not 94.I know because I drafted him #2 overall in my first draft in 94.Here is my draft that year:Emmitt Smith, RB, DALCris Carter, WR, MINWarren Moon, QB, MINMarion Butts, RB, NEBrian Blades, WR, SEACharles Johnson, WR, PITJoe Montana, QB, KCChris Boniol, K, DALCurtis Conway, WR, CHIKenneth Davis, RB, BUFCowboys, D/ST, DALHorace Copeland, WR, TBCraig Heyward, RB, ATLBobby Hebert, QB, ATLEagles, D/ST, PHIActually had a great year... but lost in the semi-finals. I don't know about you guys, but some of these names made me laugh out loud.

Sharks? You sound like a bunch of rookiesFirst Pick = Dan Fouts 1981, in points-only QB=6

Last edited by a moderator:
My league did an autodraft by position on Sandbox. I had the #1 pick though and I got Kurt Warner. This was in 2000. He did really well for me til he got injured.

1997. First fantasy league. Got the #1 pick. Everything I read said Farve was the consensus #1. I took Farve. Made the playoffs, but got stomped in the first round. Only once have I taken anything other than a RB in the first round (Moss in 2000 or 2001), although I made the playoffs. Most likely will never draft anything other than a RB in the first again.

1990 Randall Cunningham first overall. I think RAIDERNATION made the same pick. He lasted less than one game. I remember my mom telling me that some boy was on the phone laughing wildly about two minutes after it happened. To this day, I don't think she understands the whole concept (of course, it's my wife that has to put up with it now).

I totally remember my first pick ever...it was probably my best and easiest selection ever. It was 95' and it was Jerry Rice with the eight pick. That was the year of the QB....#1-Emmitt #2 Favre #3 Young. That was the year that Jerry broke the single season yardage record with 1,848 yards. That was also the year he scored those two TDs against the Raiders on MNF to break the TD record. I also had Scott Mitchell who had over 4,000yards, Herman Moore...who also broke the yardage record, Ricky Watters and Terry Allen...when he was with the Vikings. I ended up in the Super Bowl and won by ONE point. The best part about it was that I won on a two point conversion by Terry Allen on the last play of the game to win it for them as well. It was my only Super Bowl to date......

Terrell davis with the 8th overall pick in 97. I went on to win the league. Beginners luck smiled on me ;)

1996 Curtis Martin NE then came back with Terry Allen Wash....they combined for 35 TD's and a ton of yards carrying me to the league championship and a nice $$$$ score. Never forget that draft. :)

1991, picked Randall Cunningham at 1.02 in an 8 team league based on yardage only, followed by Emmitt Smith at 2.07. This was the year that Randall tore his knee ligaments in the 1st half of the 1st game. In 1990 Randall had 3466 yards receiving, 30 TD passes, 900+ yards running and however many TD runs.I barely missed the playoffs. Emmitt was good that year, but not quite good enough to salvage the loss of my 1st round player.re: sharks vs rookies: I guess since the thread is about 1st picks it makes sense that there were some mistakes. Not everyone had to be a shark from the beginning.-Adam

First pick 1.02 OJ Simpson in 1973. The year he rushed for 2003 yds and scored 24 touchdowns. 2.09 Tarkenton. What a year!

I drafted Marino and traded him a few picks later each of the first 2 years. Ya just can't measure how much respect NYers had for Marino. I would be willing to bet(a few years back) you could get a handsome return for Favre from a Viking fan. Once "the enemy" starts to call him one of the greatest QBs ever you have astounding trade bait. Play in an IDP league, I'd bet a Packer fan will pay an arm and a leg for Urlacher. Of course I didn't know it at the time but it's a realllllly interesting trade angle for folks to try. BTW You'd never get good value if you were to trade Driver to a Viking fan. For whatever reason, at best he'd offer ya Bates or Alexander in return.Of course this is a general statement and not for all fans etc. Just something to think about next time you're trading, throw out an offer based on whom your leaguemate's favorite team is.

1989 - Jim "Chrissie" EverettRest of my team included N. ANderson, Thurman Thomas, H. Ellard, S. Sharpe, Flipper Anderson and Rod Bernstine

In my 1st draft in 1997 I had the 5th pick. For some reason the guy with the #4 pick chose Tony Banks, leaving me the chance to pick my all-time favorite player BARRY SANDERS. That was the year he went over 2000 yards. I ended up winning the league (but you may wonder what kind of morons I was up against that would choose Tony Banks #4).

1991, picked Randall Cunningham at 1.02 in an 8 team league based on yardage only, followed by Emmitt Smith at 2.07. This was the year that Randall tore his knee ligaments in the 1st half of the 1st game. In 1990 Randall had 3466 yards receiving, 30 TD passes, 900+ yards running and however many TD runs.I barely missed the playoffs. Emmitt was good that year, but not quite good enough to salvage the loss of my 1st round player.re: sharks vs rookies: I guess since the thread is about 1st picks it makes sense that there were some mistakes. Not everyone had to be a shark from the beginning.-Adam
I drafted this guy from San Diego. Gary Anderson I believe. He did a flip over a defender and got into the end zone. A gymnastics move, I swear! Seemed like everytime he got near the endzone he'd jump as if there was a pile there. It was kinda silly yet cool to watch and I figured it had to be hard to stop. He put up fine stats(used to be very concerned with RB average and for some reason I remember his being high) and really looked like a gem. Anyhow the next year he went to another team and "fell off the face of the earth". What a bust!Anyone remember that guy?I also remember Randall. I do think he absolutely changed the QB position in football. I remember watching an important game(end of season, qualify for playoffs?) against the Giants D which was awesome with LT and all. He'd drop back, the Giants awesome D would just blow up the Eagles offensive line and then time stopped. Were the defenders too scared to rush him, get juked, look silly. Coaches were probably yelling to just contain him. For the most part a very well coached older wiser type defense. I'd swear there was a pause there. Tampa got younger on D, maybe picture Tampa of a few years back with Dungy's attacking D rushing in and then just stop. I have never ever seen it again and it was the damndest thing. The camera would go to LT where he'd be fuming. Here's a guy that plays as if he was a lion hunting his prey and his teammates are wonderring if they can "eat" their prey. Ya don't do that in a hunt, ya just attack. LT was just livid. Anyhow that was one of the most respectful things I've ever seen in football and as much as I love watching Vick everything would have to be just perfect for such an occurence to happen again.BTW Randall's passes(over 10-15 yards) looked like they were the softest passes you could possibly throw. I wanna say they were well thrown "ducks" but they got there in a tight spiral. Not sure how to describe it, just really thought the ball came off his hands in the absolute perfect way to catch it.

Last year was my first year in fantasy football. It sounded like a neat game, so me and about 11 other friends started a league. Well, after the rules were setup it looked to me, as a rookie, that qb's were the most valuable so i'd be a fool not to draft the best qb going into last season. Who might that be?Kurt WarnerSo, yes, my first fantasy football pick netted me a total of about -2 points during my season before going out for the rest of the season. What a great pick. *on the plus side i made quite a few good FA pickups and nearly made the playoffs, but still...kurt warner....you hurt me man*

1999 was my first year playing. I had the 3rd overall pick and tried to trade down but was unable to do so. It is a keeper league so I went with the guy I wanted WR Randy Moss.

Barry Sanders in his first year in the NFL. I think it was 1989. Anyway it was my first year playing fantasy football and I didn't know not to draft a rookie for my first pick but he turned out pretty good. God that was a really long time ago.

My first year was 1995 and i had the 2nd overall pick. I went with Steve Young and took the championship as a rookie player/comissioner. :D

My first fantasy pick ever was Barry Sanders...he ended up running for 2000yds that year and I won the championship in my rookie year of joining a league that had existed for 7yrs prior to that. Just won the 2nd title this past season w/ Marvin Harrison's record breaking year.

Brian Sipe, QB Cleveland, 1979. He was an excellent passing QB that tossed 28 that year. My second pick was Otis Anderson, RB of the then St Louis Cardinals. Now that dates it for some of you how long we have been running leagues. Good luck everyone.

1994 Steve Young, I had the second pick and all the fantasy magazines told me that he was the man. The #1 overall pick was Emmitt and I thought I had won the league with the my pick. Emmitt had 25 Tds that year though. Steve did carry me to the superbowl and ended as runner up.As a Browns homer, I pick Leroy Hoard with pick #2 = 0 Tds that year. However, I got some undraft, unknown SF RB who scored me 10 TDs, can't even remember his name but the waiver wire saved that first draft big time.

Randall Cunningham, with the 1.03 pick in 1990 after his monster year in '89. First quarter of the first game.... he breaks his leg. Lost for the year.
That was the Eagles year. :hot: :hot: Sorry still upset over it. First pick was Brad Johnson his first year in Washington at 1.10. I had no idea what to pick. I got nervous and picked Culpepper with first pick in third round :thumbup: so it is all good

1987... Dan Marino. Herschel Walker was already taken. :)Danny led me to a 9-2 record in the strike-shortened season. Just good enough for a runner-up finish that year. :rolleyes:

1995 - 7th pick - 12 teams - performance, with pts/rec

I got Jerry Rice - had great year 122 rec, 1884 tot. yds, 16 tot. TD'S. Good pick for 1st timer. I thought he'd be gone at the time. The rest of my line-up wasn't great and I think I finshed 7th out of 12.

QB'S

Hostetler, Krieg, Shuler

RB'S

Bam Morris, M. Allen, D. Megget, K. Anders, H. Williams

WR'S

Rice, Pickens, Birden, Elard, Stokes

TE'S

Chumura, McGee

K'S

Brien, Butler

1992 ... Chris Warren, RB Seattle -- too far back to remember how he did, but I know I won the league in my first year, so he must have did well.

Until last year (Randy Moss), I had never picked anything but RB in the first round. Old habits are tough to break .. let's just say I will be going back to RB after Randy's slow start.

1999 - QB Steve Young... out for the season come game 3. :wall:
Got ya beat. I drafted TD in the first round and traded up to get Steve Young in the early second. :wall: Now that is banging your head! Both out by week 3 or 4. Did a lot of staring up from the bottom of the standings that year.

I think it was 1999, had the second pick and took Farve. He had a bad year (for him) but I was able to pick up Beurlein off wavers and trade Farve to the Packers homer in our league. He let me pick between Bettis and C. Martin. Being a rookie, I over analyzed the trade and took Bettis because he had an easier schedule the rest of the year. Came down to the last game of the regular season and it was between me and the Packer fan to make the playoffs and we were playing each other. He beats me by a few points because Martin scored and Bettis did zip. :wall: Only year that I didn't make the playoffs.

My first pick was in 1991. I had the first overall pick and I was a newbie in a league of experienced owners. I did not even know the magazines existed, so I drafted off the top of my head. I picked Warren Moon #1, figuring the run and shoot was worth something. Boy, was I wrong.

My debut draft was 1999, and I took Jamal Anderson. Out for the season after one game.It's a miracle that I even bothered to come back for 2000.

My first year we were allowed to pick a 'favorite' player and then we did a computer draft. I ended up with Brad Johnson. Yes, I still won the league.

I started playing FF last year. Being a "newbie," I wanted to at least be competitive. I pulled up the stats from 2001 and organized players into tiers. I also looked for FF sites on the net (where I found FBGs). After looking at the stats and reading the message boards, I settled on:

Priest Holmes (1.07 in a 12 team redraft)

Beginners luck? Maybe. But I remember that most of what I read about Holmes was negative (Career year, can't repeat, etc.). I went against the grain (and with my gut) and was very pleased with the results (although his injury DID cost me in the playoffs).

For me, it was Bettis in 1998. Not one of his better years. I still think back to that draft everytime I have considered drafting him since then...

I cant remember the year, 1998? I drafted Terrell Davis, the year he ran for 2000. Not a coincidence, i made the Super Bowl that year. Only problem with that, i thought it was always gonna be that easy. :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
'98 Barry Sanders in the first Jeff George in the second in '97 george threw for 29TD's. He had a crappy year and only played half the season, had to start some rookie QB named Mannning :confused: .Finished the season barely above .500 in fourth place.

First year was 1999. Tabbed as fill in owner one week prior to the draft. Used a mag and took J. Anderson with 1.01. Didn't know what I was doing and ended up taking some retired players, cut players, and a holdout. It was a long year. Last year finished a close 2nd and have my eye on first.

Took Peyton Manning with my 1st pick and, being a rookie, took Marvin Harrison with my 2nd pick. :yes: Ended up snagging a RB that did better than expected....really wish I could remember who....but even so it was just an ok RB backed up by a marginal RB. Did manage to put together a good WR crew and, being a clueless rookie, drafted a top 3 Defense in like the 6th round. Did manage to ride Manning/Harrison and company to a fourth place finish that year...too bad that as I have grown to understand FF better so have my league mates. :wacko:

1998...I was a last minute addition at owner because 1 of the planned 8 didn't show up for the draft at the sports bar I called home at the time. With no preparation or previous fantasy football knowledge, with the 5th overall pick I chose....O.J. McDuffie :rotflmao: :wall: :yucky: :lol: :shock: :eek: I did recover though, ending up with Manning, an RBBC with Priest Holmes, Errict Rhett and Eddie George. I traded and got Marvin Harrison in week 4 to go with Eddie Mac, Andre Rison and Tim Brown(McDuffie was cut rather quickly) with Wesley Walls at TE. I actually missed winning the whole enchilada by an 11 yd. Manning to Dilger pass that Dilger made like a stone handed ape on. The play would have given me enough to win the first round playoff game. I outscored everyone the next week... :hot: Still, first year ever, horrid first round pick and finished 3rd. Not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread