What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Whoever is representing FBG in the "Experts" mock... (2 Viewers)

Native said:
gianmarco said:
Rodgers remains #1Gonzo moving into top 5. :bs:
With Daniels injury, Gonzo is actually in the top 4.
You are absolutely right. In fact, he's actually #3 right now behind only Clark and Vernon Davis.And Rodgers is over 1.5 ppg ahead of the #2 QB (Brady).

Terrible picks....both of them. People defending the Gonzo pick are doing the Fantasy Football Community a disservice. Worst pick I've ever seen. With all those TEs sitting out there in the middle rounds that pick stinks.

I can understand projecting Rodgers high but #1 overall is the stretch of stretches.

Yes, John is 6-0 but the truth is he tanked the first quarter of his draft. Once in a while someone's wife wins the league...it happens. Let's not defend the draft because of the record. Had he drafted well, with his amount of luck he'd be 60-0.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

gianmarco said:
Aaron Rudnicki said:
they all seem to be living up to their draft spot.
I guess it's just luck that he takes Rodgers as the #1 QB and, lo and behold, he's the #1 QB. :lmao:
... except he didn't have Rodgers ranked as QB1 on his public rankings, and said he only took him in part to hedge his bets from other leagues. That's revisionist logic :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
After week 13,

Rodgers is QB1, Gonzalez is TE4, and John's FBG team is 12-1 (ranks 3rd in points and 2nd in all-play record).

Gonzalez is TE4
I'll nitpick here - taking him in the 2nd round is still not such a great pick. Of course there were plenty of worse picks around that time in that draft, so like I said it's a nitpick.
Again, why not? Are you nitpicking because he picked Gonzo or are you nitpicking because he went TE? Two different situations.If he's not picking again until the end of the 4th and feels that neither Gonzo or any TE in the same tier is going to be there, then why is it not such a great pick there? He's already stated that gambling that one of the elite TEs would make it that far wasn't something he wanted to do. And, he's already stated that Gonzo is #1 on his board even if others don't have him that high. So again, why is it not such a great pick?

Gonzalez is TE4
I'll nitpick here - taking him in the 2nd round is still not such a great pick. Of course there were plenty of worse picks around that time in that draft, so like I said it's a nitpick.
And that's why Aaron keeps bumping in. To prove that the wrong call paid off in the end. Honestly I'm disappointed that a staff member would continue to bump this threadA poker analogy since FF is gambling
I'm not trying to prove anything. I just was interested in seeing how things turned out and figured others might be as well.I'm still not sure how it was the "wrong call" either.

some in here said there was no way Rodgers would be QB1. people said Gonzo would be a huge flop since the Falcons don't use their TE.

Personally, I wouldn't have taken this strategy so it's interesting to me to see how it turned out. I drafted for FBG in a different experts league and I think most people would have thought my draft was strong but my squad finished tied for last place. Sure, luck plays a huge part in all fantasy sports, but I think taking risks like John did here is often what it takes to win leagues and I probably need to do more of that.

Gonzalez is TE4
And that's why Aaron keeps bumping in. To prove that the wrong call paid off in the end. Honestly I'm disappointed that a staff member would continue to bump this threadA poker analogy since FF is gambling
Except John didn't have Rodgers ranked as the top QB or Gonzo as the top TE. Even if Rodgers finishing #1 overall was not luck, shouldn't we be upset with John for "misleading" us with his public rankings?:devilsadvocate:

So again, why is it not such a great pick?
The pick is fine with me. But one pick does not make or break a draft.Just more proof that luck and circumstance play a big role, along with gut feelings.Here are a few of the players I drafted:Steve SlatonAnthony GonzalezDerrick WardDavid Garrard (as my QB1)Looks bad, doesn't it?But I'm heading into our playoffs as the #1 overall seed.Gut feelings on other players paid off.Plus a bit of luck.

Gonzalez is TE4
Except John didn't have Rodgers ranked as the top QB or Gonzo as the top TE. Even if Rodgers finishing #1 overall was not luck, shouldn't we be upset with John for "misleading" us with his public rankings?:devilsadvocate:
Wrong.From his very 1st post:

I agree that Gonzo was a little bit of a reach and a gamble but I have the top player at that position.
As for Rodgers, he's already stated he had him in the top tier that included Brees and Brady and that they were interchangeable. People want to crucify him for diversification because he owns Brees in other leagues and think that's misleading, have at it. I similarly had AP and MJD as the #1 and #2 RB's this year but same tier. In a given league, I'd take AP over MJD by the slightest of hairs, but if I already owned AP in a couple and didn't own MJD anywhere, I'd take MJD and not think twice about it nor would it go against my personal rankings. Even if I were representing FBG. That point has been hammered to death in this thread already and it's completely ignoring the concept of tiering, especially at the very top when you can flip a coin with a couple elite guys.

So again, why is it not such a great pick?
The pick is fine with me. But one pick does not make or break a draft.Just more proof that luck and circumstance play a big role, along with gut feelings.Here are a few of the players I drafted:Steve SlatonAnthony GonzalezDerrick WardDavid Garrard (as my QB1)Looks bad, doesn't it?But I'm heading into our playoffs as the #1 overall seed.Gut feelings on other players paid off.Plus a bit of luck.
Judging by the harsh criticism of those 2 picks, some here do think that one pick can make or break a draft. At the same time, those picks did allow him to vary his strategy a little bit later in the draft that allowed him to "get lucky".

Except John didn't have Rodgers ranked as the top QB or Gonzo as the top TE. Even if Rodgers finishing #1 overall was not luck, shouldn't we be upset with John for "misleading" us with his public rankings?

:devilsadvocate:
Wrong. From his very 1st post:
I agree that Gonzo was a little bit of a reach and a gamble but I have the top player at that position.
As for Rodgers, he's already stated he had him in the top tier that included Brees and Brady and that they were interchangeable. People want to crucify him for diversification because he owns Brees in other leagues and think that's misleading, have at it. I similarly had AP and MJD as the #1 and #2 RB's this year but same tier. In a given league, I'd take AP over MJD by the slightest of hairs, but if I already owned AP in a couple and didn't own MJD anywhere, I'd take MJD and not think twice about it nor would it go against my personal rankings. Even if I were representing FBG. That point has been hammered to death in this thread already and it's completely ignoring the concept of tiering, especially at the very top when you can flip a coin with a couple elite guys.
I stand corrected - he did have Gonzalez ranked as TE1 in his rankings on 9/1. Unfortunately, the site doesn't let me pull up the historical rankings, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't TE1 in rankings around the time I started this thread. (In fact, that was one of teh reasons I started it). In any case, I've said all along that I'm ok with the picks and the hedging involved with picking a different guy. At the same time, you can't point at the results to "prove" that they were the right picks. As I said previously in this thread (in response to you, and I've said it repeatedly and you seem to keep ignoring the point):

That all sounds great in theory - but it's not what happened here. John had Rodgers behind 4 other guys (the big 3 + Warner) in his own preseason rankings. In discussing the pick, he said it mostly came down to the fact that he viewed this as a tier of comparable QBs and wanted to distribute risk since he already owned the others in other leagues.

In other words, this was NOT a matter of him going out on a limb on his actual rankings, suggesting that Rodgers would finish as QB1.

And while John clearly had a good draft as a whole, we can't point at his record now to justify or codemn these 2 picks, because these 2 picks are having little impact on his overall success. As I said above, he would have the same record if he chose Brady, Brees or Manning over Rodgers, and he would have the same success if he picked a number of other TEs (whether they were ranked ahead of him or not).

And while I'm generally fine with his draft and don't think these picks were as bad as some are making out - doesn't it beg the question of why & whether that is justified when VBD is such an important element to the FBG message? That is, the point of drafting a guy like Rodgers - especially if you think he is comparable to Brees, Brady and Manning - is that you don't have to draft him as EARLY as Brees, Brady and Manning.
Regardless of the tier, he thought Brady and Brees and Warner and Manning were going to finish ahead of Rodgers at the time - even if by the slimmest margins and even if he thought they were interchangeable. So, you can't go back now and say "see, he was right for picking Rodgers" when he only selected Rodgers because he already had Brady and Brees on other teams. He thought Rodgers would be comparable, but not better, or else he would have had Rodgers ahead of Brady and Brees. Of course, as I said, this highlights that the rankings tool needs to be improved. I'd really like to see them done by having values assigned to the players, instead of just a straight ordering. In that way, we could see the dropoffs, etc.

Gonzalez is TE4
Again, why not? Are you nitpicking because he picked Gonzo or are you nitpicking because he went TE? Two different situations.If he's not picking again until the end of the 4th and feels that neither Gonzo or any TE in the same tier is going to be there, then why is it not such a great pick there? He's already stated that gambling that one of the elite TEs would make it that far wasn't something he wanted to do. And, he's already stated that Gonzo is #1 on his board even if others don't have him that high. So again, why is it not such a great pick?
Because Gonzo wasn't the best TE available AND he took a TE too early (a superior TE was taken 2 rounds later), he could have waited AND done better. It was a bad pick in 2 ways - he reached and his performance valuation was off.

c'mon man, Gonzo is performing on the highend of his expected range and he's still only the 4th ranked TE.

That's terrible for the 2nd round

Gonzo

Rodgers(turned out ok)

Royal

Braylon Edwards

That's a bad string of picks

congrats on recovering from that

worst pick of that draft? Slaton at 1.2 over ADP. Wow, just wow.

Gonzalez is TE4
Because Gonzo wasn't the best TE available AND he took a TE too early (a superior TE was taken 2 rounds later), he could have waited AND done better. It was a bad pick in 2 ways - he reached and his performance valuation was off.
Why wasn't Gonzo the best TE available? Is it because YOU didn't have him ranked #1? Were your pre-season rankings spot on for every player thus far this year? If not, then YOUR rankings aren't any better than his. He took him as the #1 TE and he's currently the #4 TE. There's absolutely nothing wrong with his performance valuation.Or are you saying he wasn't the best TE because he's not #1? Likewise, should Ray Rice have been the #5 pick overall? Should Vernon Davis have been the #1 TE taken?Finally, sure he COULD have waited and done better. But, when he made those picks, there were going to be 24 more picks made until he went again. So while a similarly ranked TE on HIS rankings may have made it, it's also very possible they didn't and THAT is why he didn't wait. So sorry, but he did not reach. Drafting from that spot necessitates grabbing players a little earlier than from a spot in the middle of the round, but that does not constitute reaching. Likewise, his performance valuation was NOT wrong. 99.9% of the players don't finish in the exact spot they are slotted. That doesn't mean your valuation of them is off. If I have Brees ranked the #1 QB and he finishes #3 or #4, does that mean I was way off? Does it matter if a couple of guys exceed their expectations to pass my guy? Gonzo is currently 14.4 pts/week. Last year that would have been good for #2 TE overall. Behind Gonzo. In fact, Gonzo had a FANTASTIC year last year finishing with 96/1058/10. The 3 guys ahead of him this year (Clark, Davis, Gates) are all actually outscoring that pace. His valuation of Gonzo was spot on. He's doing what he does every year. He missed on how good Vernon Davis, Clark, and Gates would be this year. Then again, most everyone did too.

gianmarco said:
Gr00vus said:
Gonzalez is TE4
Why wasn't Gonzo the best TE available? Is it because YOU didn't have him ranked #1? Were your pre-season rankings spot on for every player thus far this year? If not, then YOUR rankings aren't any better than his. He took him as the #1 TE and he's currently the #4 TE. There's absolutely nothing wrong with his performance valuation.Or are you saying he wasn't the best TE because he's not #1? Likewise, should Ray Rice have been the #5 pick overall? Should Vernon Davis have been the #1 TE taken?Finally, sure he COULD have waited and done better. But, when he made those picks, there were going to be 24 more picks made until he went again. So while a similarly ranked TE on HIS rankings may have made it, it's also very possible they didn't and THAT is why he didn't wait. So sorry, but he did not reach. Drafting from that spot necessitates grabbing players a little earlier than from a spot in the middle of the round, but that does not constitute reaching. Likewise, his performance valuation was NOT wrong. 99.9% of the players don't finish in the exact spot they are slotted. That doesn't mean your valuation of them is off. If I have Brees ranked the #1 QB and he finishes #3 or #4, does that mean I was way off? Does it matter if a couple of guys exceed their expectations to pass my guy? Gonzo is currently 14.4 pts/week. Last year that would have been good for #2 TE overall. Behind Gonzo. In fact, Gonzo had a FANTASTIC year last year finishing with 96/1058/10. The 3 guys ahead of him this year (Clark, Davis, Gates) are all actually outscoring that pace. His valuation of Gonzo was spot on. He's doing what he does every year. He missed on how good Vernon Davis, Clark, and Gates would be this year. Then again, most everyone did too.
ETS: Never mind, my original reply wasn't being excellent, have a great season.

I have no intention of stirring the hornets nest again but for those who have been following this thread and commenting with class and intelligence, I wanted to update the final results.

I finished the regular season at 12-1. The one regular season loss coming by a narrow margin in the week that Benson and Polamalu were injured. I lost the Championship game by about 9 points with Hines Ward, Gonzo and Curtis Lofton all being injured early in their games. It's obviously not the final outcome I wanted but that's how the funny ball bounces. Contrary to some previous comments, I feel I represented FBG and our community pretty well. Those of you who stated they were going to cancel their FBG subscription, I'm sure your competition would be happy if you follow through with that.

As for the picks that started this whole discussion, Aaron Rogers finished as the #1 QB and #2 player overall, Gonzo finished as the #5 TE. Both players gave me exactly what I expected from them. They both started every game for me and were very consistent. Agree with me or not, these were players I had targeted going into this draft and I took them when I had to based on my draft position. My draft strategy/plan worked out as I expected and I feel no need to make any apologies to those who disagree.

Have a great off-season and stay classy!

Users who are viewing this thread