What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WHO'S YOUR #1 SLEEPER THIS YEAR? (1 Viewer)

IMO, NE secondary even better this year than last year. LBs obviously weaker, but passing teams will struggle against NE. Teams that run will eat their lunch. 

As I posted in other threads, if Cam runs the same amount as he used to, he will need 3500 passing yards to maybe reach the Top 5.  I have a tough time slotting 3500 receiving yards to the guys they have on the roster. And what are the odds Cam plays 14, 15, 16 games?

i think the offense will flow through the RBs and ground game. Lots of long drives to keep the score down and wear down the opposing defense. More ground and pound and less passing. 
To be fair, I said QB1 with chance at QB5-8 range finish. QB5 would be the absolute top end of what I'm calling for. 

FFCalc has Cam as QB16. 

Brady averaged 4300yds the last 3 years. I think 3500 is optimistic but doable for Cam. 

My midline range for him would prob be: 
3300-3400 Pass / 24-26 TD / 300-350 Rush / 5-7 TD

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, NE secondary even better this year than last year. LBs obviously weaker, but passing teams will struggle against NE. Teams that run will eat their lunch. 

As I posted in other threads, if Cam runs the same amount as he used to, he will need 3500 passing yards to maybe reach the Top 5.  I have a tough time slotting 3500 receiving yards to the guys they have on the roster. And what are the odds Cam plays 14, 15, 16 games?

i think the offense will flow through the RBs and ground game. Lots of long drives to keep the score down and wear down the opposing defense. More ground and pound and less passing. 
3,500 passing yards is nothing in this NFL, even for a run first offense.

Probably it will lie in the middle. Pats will be behind enough to have to pass in some games. At same time we could expect some bumps and bruises forcing Cam out of a game or two. Probably that game or two makes him likely middle ranked qb, like 15th to 18th. But ppg should be more of a 10th ranked qb like Josh Allen(who runs for similar projected yardage). 

Who's gonna pound that ground, though? Michel? Harris? I have serious reservations about both backs. I'm not saying they'll air it out, but they can't just run the football 30 times a game and expect to win. Burkhead seems most likely to succeed, but he'll be hurt most likely. Ride him while you can, I guess.

It could just be that the NEP are not that good a football team and that their offense all over is lousy. That seems to be Occam's razor here.

Who's gonna pound that ground, though? Michel? Harris? I have serious reservations about both backs. I'm not saying they'll air it out, but they can't just run the football 30 times a game and expect to win. Burkhead seems most likely to succeed, but he'll be hurt most likely. Ride him while you can, I guess.

It could just be that the NEP are not that good a football team and that their offense all over is lousy. That seems to be Occam's razor here.
It is good they get to play the Jets twice then. 😀

It seems to be the median. Only 17 QBs passed for more than 3500 yards. One is now a back up in NO. Another is starting in Miami, but might not start the full season. Of course, those two could be replaced by Burrow and Darnold(monokept him from 3500 imo).

It seems to be the median. Only 17 QBs passed for more than 3500 yards. One is now a back up in NO. Another is starting in Miami, but might not start the full season. Of course, those two could be replaced by Burrow and Darnold(monokept him from 3500 imo).
The fact that 17 QBs surpassed it and a few more would have if not for missed games makes my point. 

Here is the Patriots current list of skilled position players and their lifetime number of receptions:

WIDE RECEIVERS
Edleman - 599
Byrd - 44
Meyers - 26
Harry - 12
Olszewski - 2
Slater - 1

TIGHT ENDS
Izzo - 6
Asiasi - 0
Keene - 0

RUNNING BACKS
White - 320
Burkhead - 105
Michel - 19
Johnson - 1
Harris - 0

Like I said, I have a hard time seeing how that roster gets to 3,500 receiving yards.

The only reason it makes sense is you can always pull Trubisky and switch to Foles who is used to coming in as a backup and taking over.

If you start Foles you’ve already lost Trubisky and there’s no going back.

They did overpay to move up one slot to draft Mitch (with Watson and Mahomes still on the board - so they do really need to try and make him work.
Still, a bit sad they couldn’t successfully move on. 

Here is the Patriots current list of skilled position players and their lifetime number of receptions:

WIDE RECEIVERS
Edleman - 599
Byrd - 44
Meyers - 26
Harry - 12
Olszewski - 2
Slater - 1

TIGHT ENDS
Izzo - 6
Asiasi - 0
Keene - 0

RUNNING BACKS
White - 320
Burkhead - 105
Michel - 19
Johnson - 1
Harris - 0

Like I said, I have a hard time seeing how that roster gets to 3,500 receiving yards.

Maybe the guy they used a first rounder on has some talent? White is a fine pass catching RB and Edelman is a solid dependable receiver. I’m just stating something that should be obvious, 3,500 passing yards isn’t some high standard.

I've been grabbing Jerry Jeudy a lot in redrafts. He's available late and honestly I think he could outperform Sutton this year. I think he's that good.
Is it just me, or has there been a *lot* more puff press out about Lamb than Jeudy this preseason?  I went back an read the start of the Jeudy thread, and Jeudy was the consensus #1 WR coming into last season.

Jeudy fell to #15 in our dynasty draft (160 players off the board to start, hybrid of veteran scraps and rookies to draft) and I grabbed him.  I agree with you, I think he's been "under the radar" relatively speaking, given the attention to other rookie WRs.  I know that Sutton has something to do with that, but I'm hopeful.

Looking for options capable of seizing the number 2 passing game role cheaply in some offenses.  

Lazard, MVS, Tonyan.  Big upside there if one emerges. 

Sims, Logan Thomas.  Lots of targets to be earned in Washington. 

Ruggs and Edwards

Curtis Samuel

Parris Campbell

WIDE RECEIVERS
Edleman - 599
Byrd - 44
Meyers - 26
Harry - 12
Olszewski - 2
Slater - 1

TIGHT ENDS
Izzo - 6
Asiasi - 0
Keene - 0

RUNNING BACKS
White - 320
Burkhead - 105
Michel - 19
Johnson - 1
Harris - 0

Wow - seeing those numbers makes me think James White will easily catch 100+ balls. Cam does love to check down when no receiver is open - that could happen quite often. 

Wow - seeing those numbers makes me think James White will easily catch 100+ balls. Cam does love to check down when no receiver is open - that could happen quite often. 
Except White usually only plays 35-40% of the snaps. Hard to catch 100+ footballs when you are not in the game.

The more I read Anarchy99's posts, the more I think New England is gonna stink.

Because they kind of do in this prove-it league. Their best players are a slot receiver who is 34 years old and a running back that doesn't run all that well but can sure catch passes.

WIDE RECEIVERS
Edleman - 599
Byrd - 44
Meyers - 26
Harry - 12
Olszewski - 2
Slater - 1

TIGHT ENDS
Izzo - 6
Asiasi - 0
Keene - 0

RUNNING BACKS
White - 320
Burkhead - 105
Michel - 19
Johnson - 1
Harris - 0

I've got Cam going for 3600-21 with 500-6 on the ground, with a chance of 7-10 rush TD's if they choose to use him more often near the goal line. 

I think the TE's can hit 500 yards. White can hit 500-600. Burkhead and the other RB's can likely hit 200-300. Edelman can hit 1,000. So Harry/Byrd/Meyers/Olszewski only need to combine for 1,200 or so. If Harry breaks out, I don't think that is unrealistic at all.

I targeted Rodney Dangerf-er, Emmanuel Sanders hard - every mock I made sure I knew roughly the WR tier where to take him, I wrote down his name in sharpee on my notepad while I drafted, and added him to my shortlist. 

IDP, so ADP kinda goes out the window but got him as my WR6 super late. When I picked him everyone on our Zoom groaned & after the draft I had several offers starting with “i figure a 16th round pick is worth blah blah blah” - so even wanting him; they don’t wanna pay for him.  Yet. 

Brees is gonna love this dude. He’s not going to have a WR1-type career year, but he’s a reliable WR2 who runs clean routes and has sure hands. And he’s going to see just butter soft coverage with Thomas getting doubled, Kamara & Cook underneath & even Tre’Quan Smith to be accounted for. - I could see 75/800/6 for ESanders, and he’s a very late pick.

i don’t know why he’s not getting any respect in fantasy circles - I read one article after he signed that said “the saints don’t use their WR2” and I couldn’t help but think, “they haven’t had a capable one pretty much ever”. So chicken & the egg.

Manny Sanders is your 2020 steal of the draft. 
Yeah I'm totally down with this. I'm running with a Brees, Thomas, Sanders trio even.

The more I read Anarchy99's posts, the more I think New England is gonna stink.

Because they kind of do in this prove-it league. Their best players are a slot receiver who is 34 years old and a running back that doesn't run all that well but can sure catch passes.
IMO, NE players probably won't be great for fantasy, but that doesn't mean the team overall will be terrible.

Here were their fantasy rankings back in 2001, when they went on to win the SB:

QB: Brady (21), Bledsoe (44)
RB: Smith (9), Faulk (54), Edwards (58), Redmond (80), Pass (118)
WR: Brown (15), Patten (35), Glenn (102), Johnson (121), Small (154)
TE: Rutledge (65), Wiggins (85)

They basically were carried by Smith, Brown, and Patten. Everyone else was mostly just a bit player. Maybe they can replicate somethings similar this year with Edelman, Michel (or Harris?) and White serving as the second receiving option. Of course, these days fantasy production and NFL scoring are a lot higher than in 2001, but NE didn't really get great fantasy production and still had a winning team.

I still think the defense will be very good, but certainly that is a guess as they lost a lot of pieces between defections, trades, and opt outs. As I posted elsewhere, the current Patriots roster looks like they could have a bunch of players chip in 300 or 400 yards somehow and the total might look way better than the individual names and numbers.

I still think the defense will be very good, but certainly that is a guess as they lost a lot of pieces between defections, trades, and opt outs. As I posted elsewhere, the current Patriots roster looks like they could have a bunch of players chip in 300 or 400 yards somehow and the total might look way better than the individual names and numbers.
People are pretty rosy on their defense but it seems to have lost an awful lot. Hightower, Chung, Van Noy, Collins, etc. Their whole linebacking corps is set to begin anew, really. Bentley has their green dot in practice, and I don't think he's ever played but a few hundred snaps in a year. I see tougher sledding ahead than most.

People are pretty rosy on their defense but it seems to have lost an awful lot. Hightower, Chung, Van Noy, Collins, etc. Their whole linebacking corps is set to begin anew, really. Bentley has their green dot in practice, and I don't think he's ever played but a few hundred snaps in a year. I see tougher sledding ahead than most.
BB had more guys to play than he had snaps to go around last year. An all new LB group is definitely a concern, but they still have one of the best secondaries in the league. The weak link the past couple of years was the LBers were all old and slow. Now they are younger and quicker . . . but very green. Clearly no one knows much since they haven't played much.

I've got Cam going for 3600-21 with 500-6 on the ground, with a chance of 7-10 rush TD's if they choose to use him more often near the goal line. 

I think the TE's can hit 500 yards. White can hit 500-600. Burkhead and the other RB's can likely hit 200-300. Edelman can hit 1,000. So Harry/Byrd/Meyers/Olszewski only need to combine for 1,200 or so. If Harry breaks out, I don't think that is unrealistic at all.
Going off of 2019 (obviously with Brady):

WRs - 2562
RBs - 1134
TEs - 419

That adds up to 4115, which means those numbers are off slightly as they are listed as having 4153 receiving yards last season. In any event, here are the totals last year from guys no longer on the roster . . .

Dorsett 29-397-5
Sanu - 26-207-1
Gordon - 20-287-1
Watson - 17-173-0
Bolden - 9-111-1
Brown 4-56-1
Roberts 1-38-1
Tomlinson 1-1-0
TOTL: 107-1270-10

I suspect this year's group of secondary pieces could claim a lot of that . . . but who knows if Edelman can last the whole season and if he has the same chemistry with Newton as Brady (I would guess no to each of those). Only four receivers age 34 or older hit 1,000 receiving yards in the past 10 years (Wayne, Fitzgerald, Smith, Boldin).

Using the 3,500 yard passing number, in the years Cam played out almost all of the season in CAR, he hit 3500 yards 4 times and missed that total 4 times (so 50/50%).

Look, I’m not starting the Tarik Cohen fan club over here. Patches & flags are expensive. I mean, I wouldn’t have to worry about the COVID gathering limitations, that’s true, but yeah. 

I’m just sayin if Monty is hampered all year, Cohen’s a steal at his ADP 
Against the Saints last year he was a beast! The Saints did everything they could to keep him from gaining a yard on screen passes but Cohen was too skilled for them and was able to pick it up most of the time. He even beat that yard mark by 9X on one reception. What a memorable performance. PPR Stud - 9 Recs for 19 yards with a long of 9 yards. That means he gained 10 yards on his other 8 receptions. Get me a piece of that for my fantasy team!  You called me a salty Bears fan? 

Actually I do like him this year if they can get the offense back on track starting with the play calling and O line.  

Actually I do like him this year if they can get the offense back on track starting with the play calling and O line.  
I vividly recall watching game 1 kick off with you on messenger - and the 1st play of the 1st game of the season was some 8-way fake hand off toss sweep end-around trickery that took 37 seconds to develop and ended up with a loss of 5. 

That was a harbinger of doom for the 2019 season. :lol:  

I vividly recall watching game 1 kick off with you on messenger - and the 1st play of the 1st game of the season was some 8-way fake hand off toss sweep end-around trickery that took 37 seconds to develop and ended up with a loss of 5. 

That was a harbinger of doom for the 2019 season. :lol:  
I did message you from Soldier Field and still had high hopes last year even after their pitiful offensive performance. They offense looked great and earned all 3 points that game. 

I have been taking late round shots at the 2 colts WRs Pittman and Campbell. Pittman because he seems to be the type of WR that Rivers falls in love with because of his size and the coach sounds high on him. Parris Campbell was injured most of last year but he is supposed to be a physical freak. Hilton has been injury prone and they were raving about Campbell last year during training camp before he had injuries. Obviously these are late round picks and if they don't work out they will be on the waivers. I have both of them on 1 of my rosters.

if they can get the offense back on track starting with the play calling and O line.  
This is the Bears correct?    Thats a fantasyland comment if I have ever seen one.

All jokes aside, the greatest thing to happen to the Bears in recent memory was the Jay Cutler years. I'll never forget him flicking the fans off after losing games.

Such a perfect fit.  (and I have A-Rob somewhere , so he will mete out his own justice against me for these comments I'm sure)

TZM

I targeted Rodney Dangerf-er, Emmanuel Sanders hard - every mock I made sure I knew roughly the WR tier where to take him, I wrote down his name in sharpee on my notepad while I drafted, and added him to my shortlist. 

IDP, so ADP kinda goes out the window but got him as my WR6 super late. When I picked him everyone on our Zoom groaned & after the draft I had several offers starting with “i figure a 16th round pick is worth blah blah blah” - so even wanting him; they don’t wanna pay for him.  Yet. 

Brees is gonna love this dude. He’s not going to have a WR1-type career year, but he’s a reliable WR2 who runs clean routes and has sure hands. And he’s going to see just butter soft coverage with Thomas getting doubled, Kamara & Cook underneath & even Tre’Quan Smith to be accounted for. - I could see 75/800/6 for ESanders, and he’s a very late pick.

i don’t know why he’s not getting any respect in fantasy circles - I read one article after he signed that said “the saints don’t use their WR2” and I couldn’t help but think, “they haven’t had a capable one pretty much ever”. So chicken & the egg.

I have not posted at all this off season, have my 1 lone draft tonight as the season opens, heart just not in it this year and cannot keep a stiff upper lip but of all the names I had passed across my plate as sleepers, by far Sanders has the MOST upside IMHO...Saints have always been prime for a solid WR2, they throw to the RBs so often because they seem to lack solid WR2 and 3 options. I feel Sanders will fill that up, steal targets from the TEs and RBs and this is free money after the 7th round IMO so scoop it up wherever you need to. 

Just my opinion but to get a Top20 WR potential as a sleeper with plenty of track record and stats to back it up...don't overthink it. 

I have not posted at all this off season, have my 1 lone draft tonight as the season opens, heart just not in it this year and cannot keep a stiff upper lip but of all the names I had passed across my plate as sleepers, by far Sanders has the MOST upside IMHO...Saints have always been prime for a solid WR2, they throw to the RBs so often because they seem to lack solid WR2 and 3 options. I feel Sanders will fill that up, steal targets from the TEs and RBs and this is free money after the 7th round IMO so scoop it up wherever you need to. 

Just my opinion but to get a Top20 WR potential as a sleeper with plenty of track record and stats to back it up...don't overthink it. 
You might get him later than that. Check fantasy draft calculator for his current ADP.

also good to see ya, GB. We get football tonight at least, and that’s a gift. 

You might get him later than that. Check fantasy draft calculator for his current ADP.

also good to see ya, GB. We get football tonight at least, and that’s a gift. 

I know you very well HSG and I opted to not spread my pessimistic views right now and just roll with whatever tonight and just be grateful I guess we can even watch something on Sundays for now. 

I'll get into the swing of it more after tonight I'm sure but I just have no desire to try and project or figure out what is likely to happen right now. I'll be shocked if they can finish all 16 games etc...but I understand many might not share the same view. 

Good luck to everyone, nothing but good vibes to the SP faithful. 

I know you very well HSG and I opted to not spread my pessimistic views right now and just roll with whatever tonight and just be grateful I guess we can even watch something on Sundays for now. 

I'll get into the swing of it more after tonight I'm sure but I just have no desire to try and project or figure out what is likely to happen right now. I'll be shocked if they can finish all 16 games etc...but I understand many might not share the same view. 

Good luck to everyone, nothing but good vibes to the SP faithful. 

I’ve definitely leaned to the dark side this off-season, but drafted my team with my friends and putting on my best face for the games.  Maybe it’s a train wreck but for now it’s all good.

imma cross bridges when we come to them. Best of luck in your draft!

Not even drafted in my 10 teamer.  I love him but is he better than anyone in my wr core?  Hopkins, scary larry, k. Allen, t. Boyd.  We only start 2wr.   One flex

J. McKinnon. Mostert? really? SF has no WRs to speak of, none that are healthy anyways.McKinnons is a fantastic receiver out of the backfield. they're getting kids from Publix to catch passes for them. You been reading camp reports about MiKinnon??? maybe you should.

Jack Doyle gonna catch himself some passes.. Burton's on IR  - I know, Doyle isn't on the sleeper list. but he's going to be very productive more than anyone even thought of.

Dallas Goedert. So Ertz is shutting down the contract talks , and will play for the 2020 season on current contract.chances the cheap eagles fade  him on offense ,thus driving his value further down and gaining bargaining leverage for the Iggles? 1000%. Goedert's gonna get himself a lot of recs, not only b/c of this, but b/c of the lack of quality Philly WRs. 

Burrow is going to post some healthy stats as a starting QB.

Dallas Goedert. So Ertz is shutting down the contract talks , and will play for the 2020 season on current contract.chances the cheap eagles fade  him on offense ,thus driving his value further down and gaining bargaining leverage for the Iggles? 1000%. Goedert's gonna get himself a lot of recs, not only b/c of this, but b/c of the lack of quality Philly WRs. 
Interesting take. I don't think teams do that. 

J. McKinnon. Mostert? really? SF has no WRs to speak of, none that are healthy anyways.McKinnons is a fantastic receiver out of the backfield. they're getting kids from Publix to catch passes for them. You been reading camp reports about MiKinnon??? maybe you should.

Jack Doyle gonna catch himself some passes.. Burton's on IR  - I know, Doyle isn't on the sleeper list. but he's going to be very productive more than anyone even thought of.

Burrow is going to post some healthy stats as a starting QB.
I just came in here to bang the drum for McKinnon as my sleeper of the year.

Shannagins, investment and a coaches ego- Shanny loves to surprise at RB and he made a huge investment in McKinnon two years ago and I think he will go out of his way to show that it was a good investment. Jet McKinnon has the talent, outstanding reports coming out of camp and by far the best receiving RB on the roster. I see Coleman as the odd man out with a 50/40 rushing split between Mostert & Jet  and 10% going to the rest but McKinnon getting the bulk of the receptions = a starting fantasy PPR RB in this offense at a crazy cheap cost.

WIDE RECEIVERS
Edleman - 599
Byrd - 44
Meyers - 26
Harry - 12
Olszewski - 2
Slater - 1

TIGHT ENDS
Izzo - 6
Asiasi - 0
Keene - 0

RUNNING BACKS
White - 320
Burkhead - 105
Michel - 19
Johnson - 1
Harris - 0

Talk to us about James White, seems like a total overlook in most drafts, would appear to have a chance to haul in a lot of check downs and continue to catch a lot of balls. In PPR he seems like a shoe in for Top 25 many weeks, especially while they are bursing a lot of injuries at RB to boot. 

Your thoughts?

Talk to us about James White, seems like a total overlook in most drafts, would appear to have a chance to haul in a lot of check downs and continue to catch a lot of balls. In PPR he seems like a shoe in for Top 25 many weeks, especially while they are bursing a lot of injuries at RB to boot. 

Your thoughts?
I posted earlier about this in a different thread but can’t find it. Someone suggested White would have crazy reception totals like CMC. The issue I had was White only played 40% of the snaps and is not an every down back. Brady actually targeted White more than CMC was targeted in CAR on a percentage basis. Unlike the Panthers, NE uses plenty of RB, so I doubt White would get more work. The Pats are said to be trying to get multiple backs involved in the passing game, so White might not even get as many targets. He was the RB19 in PPR last year, so he will probably be in the RB20-25 range. IMO, you could probably get production in that range from McKinnon this year (who is barely a blip on the fantasy radar).

It has to be McKinnon for me

there is no reason he can’t do what Mostert did last year and then some.  He is the best pass catching back on the team and the WRs are already dinged up. His upside is limited because SF will use all of their backs, but there are plenty of carries to go around. 

Users who are viewing this thread