What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

why do people draft (3 Viewers)

Good bump. By the way, our league has an unscheduled opening this year. One of the owners failed the drug test. If anyone wants in, send me a PM. Solid team, good dynasty prospects. Draft roster is locked in for the 2010 thru 2013 seasons (still can trade and make waiver moves of course), but, the 2014 draft is coming up next week, if anyone has been reading the HS draft reports on Rivals and has the $4000 to spend, I can look into placing you in our league.
Did you fill the spot yet, I may be interested. I hope this isnt a joke ...
No joke. But we follow the NFL's substance abuse policy. That's what got the guy kicked out, he failed the test. Are you sure you can pass?If you're serious, PM me and I'll tell you where to mail your urine sample.
This has to be a fishing trip.
No fishing. It's a serious, big money league. We don't screw around, it's all very official and on the up-and-up. I've talked about it on these boards before. For example, it's a $4000-entry double-dynasty modified WCOFF league, where we draft out prospects up to 5 years in advance, so we actually carry 265-man rosters. You need that much room for developmental talent. But it's a 32-owner mirror league, so there are two Peyton Mannings, Matt Barkleys, Isaiah Weeks, Kyle Praters, etc. We also are very strict about owner participation, so some guy leaving a bye-week player active would face serious fines and penalties. We also pre-screen and interview prospective owners before they join, and for obvious reasons we do credit checks and bi-annual fiscal reviews to make sure they can handle the league. All the money is held in escrow before the draft for the upcoming 5-year window, which is nice because we locked up this year's prize money at 2005's interest rates, so there's a little extra we use to fund the draft week events (food, beer, gophers, assistants, etc.). We keep it realistic that we don't allow performance-enhancing drugs, either.Each year we're personally handed the rule book via bonded courier for the season 6 years to come, and we have to sign for it in presence of a notary public. It's a nicely done volume, about 600 pages, bound in official Wilson football-leather, with gold gilding on the paper. It's a beautiful piece of art that I'm proud to display on the fireplace mantle. Until that rulebook's season's over, then each of the copies has to be returned to the attorney we keep on retainer year-round who acts as our rules executive commissioner, he destroys all the copies on a webcam broadcast so that all the owners can see it and verify. The Rules Sub-Committee is currently working on the 2019 Rules our secured FTP site. It's almost done, too, the galleys are due to be sent to the printer's by May.
Any more openings?

Basically, what I'm really trying to understand is why in the heck people hold fantasy drafts earlier than week 3 (at least) of the preseason? It doesn't make any sense to me and I'm baffled by those that use the excuse that they couldn't wait. Just, why?
:lmao:

Typical guppy.

Waaah, waaah, you cry, this game is too hard!

Sorry son, but I don't have to dumb down The Sport just so noobs like you have a chance at keeping up.

I play in a $4,000 entry, Super-WCOFF, triple-reverse, double down, mirror league with a modified PPFDR base 8 scoring system, and we just held our draft in July. For the 2013 season. You think Matt Barkley getting the start in USC is news? I drafted him after studying up on him, after he signed his letter of intent, last year. You think that maybe going with a WR in the first two rounds instead of back-to-back RBs is somehow new thinking in fantasy? Well, do you have the balls to do what I did this year when I didn't take my first RB until the fourth round (Roderick Smith, Harding High School of Indiana)? You've probably never even heard of Martavis Bryant, Kyle Prater, or Darius White, yet not only did I draft them this year to form my future WR core, I've also started referring to them by fantasy board nicknames (Super Mart, KPrater, & DoubleDarius). Hell, guys like you are going to be the poor schmucks who are searching this board five years from now for info on some great RB you just heard of out of the middle of nowhere in Alaska, and the FBG search result box is going to come up with this very post, where I brag about nabbing Isaiah Weeks of the Monroe Catholic Rams at the 25.32/26.01 turn a full two months before he lit up Delta Junction for 193 yards/2 TDs or Ketchikan for 183 rushing yards, 55 rec yards, & 2 TDs. You'll be wondering about his durability and I'll remember a phone call I made back when you were just hearing the name "Knowshon Moreno" for the first time to the kid's doctor in Fairbanks about the sprain he suffered in his left ankle in 2008.

Let me give you a tip, IT = INFO, and there's no "expires by" date on it.

PHILO
I dont think dumb down is the right word. I just posted the draft happens only once a year and to not let other things get in your way, but you have taken it to the other extreme. Four years in advance is exesive, and dumb in my opinion. Did you predict that Blout would punch a guy out and possibly ruin his chance at being a 1st year producer in the NFL? How many years have you won this league? Do you consider your league luck or skill? i think its luck
Poor guppy... I did have Blount in '09 and kept him, his late surge last season helped win me yet another season.

The fact you can't ID such an easy pick just shows how far behind the True Sharks you are, kid.

Basically, what I'm really trying to understand is why in the heck people hold fantasy drafts earlier than week 3 (at least) of the preseason? It doesn't make any sense to me and I'm baffled by those that use the excuse that they couldn't wait. Just, why?

Typical guppy.

Sorry son, but I don't have to dumb down The Sport just so noobs like you have a chance at keeping up.

I play in a $4,000 entry, Super-WCOFF, triple-reverse, double down, mirror league with a modified PPFDR base 8 scoring system, and we just held our draft in July. For the 2013 season. You think Matt Barkley getting the start in USC is news? I drafted him after studying up on him, after he signed his letter of intent, last year. You think that maybe going with a WR in the first two rounds instead of back-to-back RBs is somehow new thinking in fantasy? Well, do you have the balls to do what I did this year when I didn't take my first RB until the fourth round (Roderick Smith, Harding High School of Indiana)? You've probably never even heard of Martavis Bryant, Kyle Prater, or Darius White, yet not only did I draft them this year to form my future WR core, I've also started referring to them by fantasy board nicknames (Super Mart, KPrater, & DoubleDarius). Hell, guys like you are going to be the poor schmucks who are searching this board five years from now for info on some great RB you just heard of out of the middle of nowhere in Alaska, and the FBG search result box is going to come up with this very post, where I brag about nabbing Isaiah Weeks of the Monroe Catholic Rams at the 25.32/26.01 turn a full two months before he lit up Delta Junction for 193 yards/2 TDs or Ketchikan for 183 rushing yards, 55 rec yards, & 2 TDs. You'll be wondering about his durability and I'll remember a phone call I made back when you were just hearing the name "Knowshon Moreno" for the first time to the kid's doctor in Fairbanks about the sprain he suffered in his left ankle in 2008.

PHILO
I dont think dumb down is the right word. I just posted the draft happens only once a year and to not let other things get in your way, but you have taken it to the other extreme. Four years in advance is exesive, and dumb in my opinion. Did you predict that Blout would punch a guy out and possibly ruin his chance at being a 1st year producer in the NFL? How many years have you won this league? Do you consider your league luck or skill? i think its luck
Poor guppy... I did have Blount in '09 and kept him, his late surge last season helped win me yet another season.

The fact you can't ID such an easy pick just shows how far behind the True Sharks you are, kid.
Still waiting on my PM to get your contact information. I am VERY interested

Same tired argument every year. People think they have such an advantage. It's like they buy into Philo's stupid mantra of "info doesn't have an expiration date". As I've said before, it does have a born on date. Those that think they can perfectly decipher beat writer hype and coach speak during the offseason are full of crap. I fully believe some guys can be had at bargains when you draft early, but if you really know what's up you can't put together an entire draft with as much confidence. There are plenty of blowhards here that will tell you they can and will, but they are easy to ignore.

For every one guy that jumps up from a round 9 picks to a round 4 pick, there are at least ten guys that make names for themselves in camp to the point where they go from obscure to late sleeper status. You can still get them late in deep roster 12-team leagues rather than picking them up off waivers had you drafted earlier. A nice little added bonus is that you don't have to worry about blown out knees or ruptured achilles.

Drafting early is the only option for some, and that's understandable. But drafting early by design is for chumps, IMHO.
Fixed. :thumbup:

:rolleyes:

Typical guppy.

:football:

PHILO
It's the 2013 season. Martavis Bryant, Kyle Prater,and Rod Smith need to start doing some work. And I think you meant Jarius Wright as Darius hasn't done much. But, still some great calls.

Typical guppy.

PHILO
its been about 4 yrs, hows that team doing BTW

I'd assumed that post (having seen it in Gianmarco's sig) was just a cleverly written joke... the line "triple-reverse, double down, mirror league with a modified PPFDR base 8 scoring system" in particular had me laughing as it it seemed like complete tongue-in-cheek nonsense... and the line about calling a kid's doctor in Alaska seemed ridiculous if not illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing better than people complaining about something that they have EVERY right to simply not take part in.

I don't like cumumbers. Should I go on a rant about how I don't think cucumbers should be put on the house salad at my local restaurant?? Nah, I think instead I will just order it without the cumcumbers. Seems easier to me.

I also don't like the color Green, so I just don't buy green clothes/cars/furniture. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

I also don't think it's really that big of a variance drafting a few months before the season, or right before the season. A few established players shift here and there, generally not to much. A few injuries here and there really hurt 1-2 owners. And a few young guys either jump up the rankings or fall way down the rankings. But in general 95% of the players still get drafted relatively close to where they were.

I have also seen drafts take place a few days before week 1, but then guys get hurt in practice right before the first game. Maybe every draft should take place 2 hours before the first thurday night game each year, or else it's all luck, right?? :shrug: But then someone could get hurt in warmups. Too much of a luck factor there too I guess.

Oh wow, those Philo posts are fantastic. Can't believe I've overlooked this thread all these years.

"PM me and I'll tell you where to mail your urine sample."

:lmao: Pure gold right there.

I just read through this. Some of you thought Philo was serious??? You should be ashamed of yourselves.

You should also be ashamed of yourselves if you challenenged anything he said and didn't just laugh.

I just read through this. Some of you thought Philo was serious??? You should be ashamed of yourselves.

You should also be ashamed of yourselves if you challenenged anything he said and didn't just laugh.
Um, I actually joined the league so not sure what to make of your post.

While I havnt won the league yet, there is much money to be had with 32 teams (mirror) and the 4k buy in.

I just read through this. Some of you thought Philo was serious??? You should be ashamed of yourselves. You should also be ashamed of yourselves if you challenenged anything he said and didn't just laugh.
Um, I actually joined the league so not sure what to make of your post.While I havnt won the league yet, there is much money to be had with 32 teams (mirror) and the 4k buy in.
:thumbup: Congrats on passing the urine test and routine background checks. Let us know if you'd like any PMs with tips on local middle school football games. Don't lose that 600 pg leather-bound, gold-gilded rule book or you'll be in big trouble when it comes time for the attorney to destroy them on the live video conference.

Typical guppy.

PHILO
I love this post so much, I'm glad someone revived the thread so it wasn't lost. In fact, there are a few posts that I should bookmark and re-read before the season every year just to make sure my senses of humor and perspective are intact.

My new start up begins next Saturday as the nfl rookie draft wraps up, why you ask... Because its fun
A start up draft HAS to happen well before the season starts. In fact, I think it should start at least a month before training camp opens.

A nice slow dynasty draft that takes a couple weeks or more, with a lot of trade talk and activity and time to plan and alter strategy as it unfolds.

Enjoy, I am jealous.

Though I have a few rookie drafts that start in May, so that will keep me entertained a bit, even though I traded away all my 1st rounders.

My new start up begins next Saturday as the nfl rookie draft wraps up, why you ask... Because its fun
A start up draft HAS to happen well before the season starts. In fact, I think it should start at least a month before training camp opens.

A nice slow dynasty draft that takes a couple weeks or more, with a lot of trade talk and activity and time to plan and alter strategy as it unfolds.

Enjoy, I am jealous.

Though I have a few rookie drafts that start in May, so that will keep me entertained a bit, even though I traded away all my 1st rounders.
haven't done one in about 5 yrs and I think its my last one for atleast another 5 yrs. 32 teams and surprising the trading has been low.

:rolleyes: Typical guppy.

PHILO
Bumping a classic.

Just read the news re: Roy E. Williams and his broken collar bone which "they" are saying should take at least 6 weeks to heal.

Given the slew of injuries that have occurred (J Stewart reaggrivating ankle, Pierre Thomas injury, Reggie Bush slow progress, Palmer ankle, Bulger finger, TO TOE (sounds funny), Moreno not looking to be full speed by week 1). I sure I'm missing a few headlines here but these have all appeared since the beginning of the month.

It's fun. Some drafts early, some late.

It all evens out.

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of luck and chance involved in training camp injuries, but I think there is more potential reward for guys who are really on the ball who can find the 'next big thing' before he is mainstream.

Yes, I know, old post...but somebody bumped the thread

:rolleyes:

Typical guppy.

;)

PHILO
Isn't that a HIPAA violation?
Totally legal under ObamaCare nowadays

PHILO
Just drafted by Pittsburgh. Time to get some return on my investment. :moneybag:

This is how sharks do it, son.

PHILO
Just drafted by Pittsburgh. Time to get some return on my investment. :moneybag:

Wow, this might end up being one of the greatest calls in fantasy history if he does anything in this league. Already looking good at being a 4th round pick. Anyone who has ever said anything negative about Philo in the past might want to reevaluate themselves.

PHILO

Wow, this might end up being one of the greatest calls in fantasy history if he does anything in this league. Already looking good at being a 4th round pick. Anyone who has ever said anything negative about Philo in the past might want to reevaluate themselves.
I think he should forever more be referred to as "Super Mart" on this board.

SacramentoBob said:

PHILO

Just took him at 2.4. Wanted a piece of history....ha ha.

PHILO
:goodposting:

SuperMart

Time to bump this...

I have a ton of high school and pop warner games to go to this weekend. You can never be TOO prepared or do TOO much research.

PHILO
Super Mart finally paying dividends. That's planning ahead.

Still the greatest Shark Pool post ever. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

IT = INFO should be the official tagline for the Shark Pool along with a bronze statue of Super Mart scoring a TD on his first NFL reception on MNF.

TwinTurbo said:
Still the greatest Shark Pool post ever. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

IT = INFO should be the official tagline for the Shark Pool along with a bronze statue of Super Mart scoring a TD on his first NFL reception on MNF.
IT = INFO predates that post by several years. It's been around here forever.

Users who are viewing this thread