What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

why do people draft (1 Viewer)

n a perfect world i would have a draft 250 days and own 250 teams.

everyone above answered your qq and they all are good reasons.

I prefer early drafts compared to last minute drafts.

If you don't like them stay away from them.

I may add most my early drafts, if not all utilyze IR slots in case so and so

gets hurt on so and so week. Your Stewart excuse is not right. He was in same boat all off season he is today. Has not played or practiced a down. I stayed away from him in Feb-March-April-May just as much as I did this week drafts!

It doesnt matter what month you draft. The guys your up against has the same information u have regardless what month.

IT DOESNT MATTER AND IMO YOUR KIND OF CHILDLISH PICKY EVEN ASKING.

Reminds me of the sissy asked out of draft last minute friday night when the guy picking 3rd

offered it in a trade for someone wanting for brees/brady as its a 2 qb league and its normal they go fast. the sissy whinned to commish for his money back saying his cheat sheets wouldnt work. wah wah wah. u cross em off same any other draft?! haha thank god we got that loser replaced.

some guys will never get it!

oh i didnt mean to come off so flabby. the worst one is that whinner that drafted a team in may. cried for 3 months wanting his money back because he was so sure one team made off int rades and was takeing our money. I GLADLY replaced him! the guy he was crying about still aint won a penny 3 years latter.

SOME JUST DONT GET IT! SOME ARE TOO BIG OF BABYS TO EVER TRY AND GET IT.

SORRY MAN,,,, had to blow off some steam. i got all 35 my teams set and nothing else to do!

Basically, what I'm really trying to understand is why in the heck people hold fantasy drafts earlier than week 3 (at least) of the preseason? It doesn't make any sense to me and I'm baffled by those that use the excuse that they couldn't wait. Just, why?
:shock: Typical guppy.

Waaah, waaah, you cry, this game is too hard!

Sorry son, but I don't have to dumb down The Sport just so noobs like you have a chance at keeping up.

I play in a $4,000 entry, Super-WCOFF, triple-reverse, double down, mirror league with a modified PPFDR base 8 scoring system, and we just held our draft in July. For the 2013 season. You think Matt Barkley getting the start in USC is news? I drafted him after studying up on him, after he signed his letter of intent, last year. You think that maybe going with a WR in the first two rounds instead of back-to-back RBs is somehow new thinking in fantasy? Well, do you have the balls to do what I did this year when I didn't take my first RB until the fourth round (Roderick Smith, Harding High School of Indiana)? You've probably never even heard of Martavis Bryant, Kyle Prater, or Darius White, yet not only did I draft them this year to form my future WR core, I've also started referring to them by fantasy board nicknames (Super Mart, KPrater, & DoubleDarius). Hell, guys like you are going to be the poor schmucks who are searching this board five years from now for info on some great RB you just heard of out of the middle of nowhere in Alaska, and the FBG search result box is going to come up with this very post, where I brag about nabbing Isaiah Weeks of the Monroe Catholic Rams at the 25.32/26.01 turn a full two months before he lit up Delta Junction for 193 yards/2 TDs or Ketchikan for 183 rushing yards, 55 rec yards, & 2 TDs. You'll be wondering about his durability and I'll remember a phone call I made back when you were just hearing the name "Knowshon Moreno" for the first time to the kid's doctor in Fairbanks about the sprain he suffered in his left ankle in 2008.

Let me give you a tip, IT = INFO, and there's no "expires by" date on it.

:rolleyes:

PHILO
I dont think dumb down is the right word. I just posted the draft happens only once a year and to not let other things get in your way, but you have taken it to the other extreme. Four years in advance is exesive, and dumb in my opinion. Did you predict that Blout would punch a guy out and possibly ruin his chance at being a 1st year producer in the NFL? How many years have you won this league? Do you consider your league luck or skill? i think its luck
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I don't think some of the responses here are sincere..let's face it, most leagues who draft early do so because they are anxious and can't wait for football and FF to begin. I have been guilty of this myself, but will not do it again. Drafting before the 3rd pre-season game is not in the best interest of the league...

I don't think some of the responses here are sincere..let's face it, most leagues who draft early do so because they are anxious and can't wait for football and FF to begin. I have been guilty of this myself, but will not do it again. Drafting before the 3rd pre-season game is not in the best interest of the league...
What does "best interest of the league" mean? This year it was in the best interest of my main league to bring the maximum number of people together at the same time to conduct a draft. That happened to be August 8th, so that's what we did.This hobby is a scavenger hunt through a minefield while blindfolded. If you feel better starting your "race" on Sept 9th, then "fill your boots" but as far as I'm concerned, drafting late to have the maximum information possible sounds great in theory but it rarely equates to a competitive advantage.

the earlier the draft the more advantageous it is for those owners who know football, the later the draft then your secretary could win the whole thing.

I'm in a league where we draft on Super Bowl Sunday then back fill the scheduled matchups with our teams. That way no one has any surprises.

:confused:

the earlier the draft the more advantageous it is for those owners who know football, the later the draft then your secretary could win the whole thing.
:goodposting: My dynasty league rookie drafts are in May and June, my most competitive redraft is before camps start. This is meant to lend an advantage to those that have done their homework throughout the offseason, drafts held the week before the season allow owners to just go to misc. website and print their rankings, drafting straight from them, not knowing who or what they're picking. Those rankings may not be quite as strong as yours, but the difference is not going to be too large.Players I was able to get for cheap in my dynasty leagues before camp reports started buzzing - Deon Butler, Mike Wallace, Austin Collie, and James Davis. Come August these guys were no longer later round rookie picks.Players that went for cheap (relatively speaking) in redrafts that I had targeted before the hype machine got them in August - Ray Rice, Chris Henry, Ronnie Brown, Michael Bush, Eddie Royal, and Percy Harvin. I got Brown (3rd), Rice (6th), Harvin (9th), Bush (14th), and Henry (15th). I've since dropped Henry for Manningham, but that's not the point. I got Henry in the 15th round, come August he'd have been gone for 5 or 6 rounds.

I prefer drafting as late as possible because it eliminates as much of the luck involved in fantasy football as possible.

Basically, what I'm really trying to understand is why in the heck people hold fantasy drafts earlier than week 3 (at least) of the preseason? It doesn't make any sense to me and I'm baffled by those that use the excuse that they couldn't wait. Just, why?
:D Typical guppy.

Sorry son, but I don't have to dumb down The Sport just so noobs like you have a chance at keeping up.

I play in a $4,000 entry, Super-WCOFF, triple-reverse, double down, mirror league with a modified PPFDR base 8 scoring system, and we just held our draft in July. For the 2013 season. You think Matt Barkley getting the start in USC is news? I drafted him after studying up on him, after he signed his letter of intent, last year. You think that maybe going with a WR in the first two rounds instead of back-to-back RBs is somehow new thinking in fantasy? Well, do you have the balls to do what I did this year when I didn't take my first RB until the fourth round (Roderick Smith, Harding High School of Indiana)? You've probably never even heard of Martavis Bryant, Kyle Prater, or Darius White, yet not only did I draft them this year to form my future WR core, I've also started referring to them by fantasy board nicknames (Super Mart, KPrater, & DoubleDarius). Hell, guys like you are going to be the poor schmucks who are searching this board five years from now for info on some great RB you just heard of out of the middle of nowhere in Alaska, and the FBG search result box is going to come up with this very post, where I brag about nabbing Isaiah Weeks of the Monroe Catholic Rams at the 25.32/26.01 turn a full two months before he lit up Delta Junction for 193 yards/2 TDs or Ketchikan for 183 rushing yards, 55 rec yards, & 2 TDs. You'll be wondering about his durability and I'll remember a phone call I made back when you were just hearing the name "Knowshon Moreno" for the first time to the kid's doctor in Fairbanks about the sprain he suffered in his left ankle in 2008.

:lmao:

PHILO
I dont think dumb down is the right word. I just posted the draft happens only once a year and to not let other things get in your way, but you have taken it to the other extreme. Four years in advance is exesive, and dumb in my opinion. Did you predict that Blout would punch a guy out and possibly ruin his chance at being a 1st year producer in the NFL? How many years have you won this league? Do you consider your league luck or skill? i think its luck
:banned: :suds: :(

I disagree....Ward was supposed to be a good sleeper this year..but Caddy came on late and those that "knew football" and picked Ward got screwed(at least at this point until Caddy goes down).Those that know football are watching for sleepers and the rooks and how they are doing in the pre-season. Drafting before pre season games or only after 1 or 2 might not be able to see exactly who might break out.

My dynasty league rookie drafts are in May and June,
my 3 dynasty leagues rookie drafts are always June 1, slow draft. i do not think it matters when draft for rookie drafts as long as it is after the NFL in April

What does "best interest of the league" mean?
everyone having a competitive team..nothing worse than drafting too early and having a guy go down with an injury.
There is no correlation between draft timing and "everyone having a competitive team". A competitive league is achieved by having all owners operating with roughly the same skill level and dedication to the hobby (regardless of what that level is).

Woah, thought this thread was done for good.

Revisiting this reinforces the fact that Philo (see third or second response) is still Will Ferrell's younger brother from Step Brothers.

:rolleyes: Typical guppy.

;)

PHILO
Isn't that a HIPAA violation?

:rolleyes: Typical guppy.

:football:

PHILO
Isn't that a HIPAA violation?
Yep, it sure is! I hope Isaiah sues his doctor for enough money so that he won't have to go through the wear and tear on his body, decides not to pursue football thus ruining Philo's 25.32/26.01 pick.I'll make sure to check back in 5 years to see if this is the case. :rolleyes:

1st off, I like to draft early in the yr... ofcourse theres a risk that you team can be ruined before the season even kicks off; but you have to accept that. I like to draft super early, especially a start up dynasty, because sometimes I see value in a player that other people are looking down on and I want to jump on it before others catch on. Then theres also "I can't believe that guy still gets taken in the 1st round"; i want to jump on that too.

You look at player values now and then right before the season starts its completely different.

;)

Typical guppy.

PHILO
Bump

i dont understand why anyone would want to draft anytime before the end of august. :toilet:

im sure some guys who say they like to draft early, say it because its not cool to say you like drafting right before the start of the reg. season. in reality, they'd love to draft late.

Good bump. By the way, our league has an unscheduled opening this year. One of the owners failed the drug test. If anyone wants in, send me a PM. Solid team, good dynasty prospects. Draft roster is locked in for the 2010 thru 2013 seasons (still can trade and make waiver moves of course), but, the 2014 draft is coming up next week, if anyone has been reading the HS draft reports on Rivals and has the $4000 to spend, I can look into placing you in our league.

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont understand why anyone would want to draft anytime before the end of august. :confused: im sure some guys who say they like to draft early, say it because its not cool to say you like drafting right before the start of the reg. season. in reality, they'd love to draft late.
you got me. I would love to draft 3 hours before kickoff. It would be a thrill of a lifetime. May the fantasy football gods shine down upon on me and make that happen this year.

My league usually does it around some external events like weddings and bachelor parties because all 14 of us do the draft in person. (5 from out of town.). We usually end up drafting 2-3 weeks before the Week 1 of the regular season. Our league has no waivers between the draft and the regular season so I love being able to pick someone up as an injury or standout preseason game happens.

i dont understand why anyone would want to draft anytime before the end of august. :cry: im sure some guys who say they like to draft early, say it because its not cool to say you like drafting right before the start of the reg. season. in reality, they'd love to draft late.
you got me. I would love to draft 3 hours before kickoff. It would be a thrill of a lifetime. May the fantasy football gods shine down upon on me and make that happen this year.
I guess I am living your dream because in my league of 29 years we actually do this. We used to draft the Saturday before the games started on Sunday but with the move to the Thursday opener we now draft around 2pm PST that day. Of course it is a dynasty league so we don't need to go a ton of rounds but man it's always my favorite draft. But then for the last 16 years it's been in Vegas too boot so maybe that has something to do with it!! :no: Anyways to answer the OP when you are in multiple leagues the drafts need to be spread around. I've been in dynasty leagues that draft in June about a month after the draft and that was really pretty fun. It took a lot more work than waiting til training camps started as you had to research things year round. Of course there was another few rounds after training camps started but those initial rookie picks in June were key.I also prefer drafting later in the preseason but have also found that drafting earlier is a lot more challenging. To each their own I say!!!

Scheduling.

August is a tough month to get alot of people together because of increased vacations, work, etc.

Good bump. By the way, our league has an unscheduled opening this year. One of the owners failed the drug test. If anyone wants in, send me a PM. Solid team, good dynasty prospects. Draft roster is locked in for the 2010 thru 2013 seasons (still can trade and make waiver moves of course), but, the 2014 draft is coming up next week, if anyone has been reading the HS draft reports on Rivals and has the $4000 to spend, I can look into placing you in our league.
Did you fill the spot yet, I may be interested. I hope this isnt a joke ...

I think people should just draft every Saturday through the season. The draft is the single most fun day in the league anyway.

eta... since you are drafting each week you only need to draft starters so it wouldn't have to take as long... even if you have deep starters.

Last edited by a moderator:
No joke. But we follow the NFL's substance abuse policy. That's what got the guy kicked out, he failed the test. Are you sure you can pass?If you're serious, PM me and I'll tell you where to mail your urine sample.

No joke. But we follow the NFL's substance abuse policy. That's what got the guy kicked out, he failed the test. Are you sure you can pass?If you're serious, PM me and I'll tell you where to mail your urine sample.
This has to be a fishing trip.

As a newer member I've seen "the" post in a sig around the forums and just glad I got to go through the original thread. Good times :goodposting:

Tell you what, I run a very similar league and I have 1 more opening left in our draft. Our fee is $4300 BUT no pee test. IM ME for my address so you can mail me a check. P.S. make it out to cash.. good luck I'll be rooting for you!

..its posts like Philos that make me embarrassed to be a part of playing fantasy football. Im in a couple leagues and 1 is a dynasty where many of the owners have the "STAT GUY" personality (see Jim Rome rant 9/1/10). Its so funny, these guys feel like geniuses spouting off at the mouth with whatever stats and info they read that day as if it was common knowledge. congrats Philo for being the tallest midget. I officially will assume you look like Milton and that you have a limited edition Star Wars (-enter random Star Wars memorabilia) set mounted on a wall proudly displayed. Im sure you friend is very proud of you.. :goodposting:

Just read the news re: Roy E. Williams and his broken collar bone which "they" are saying should take at least 6 weeks to heal.Given the slew of injuries that have occurred (J Stewart reaggrivating ankle, Pierre Thomas injury, Reggie Bush slow progress, Palmer ankle, Bulger finger, TO TOE (sounds funny), Moreno not looking to be full speed by week 1). I sure I'm missing a few headlines here but these have all appeared since the beginning of the month.Basically, what I'm really trying to understand is why in the heck people hold fantasy drafts earlier than week 3 (at least) of the preseason? It doesn't make any sense to me and I'm baffled by those that use the excuse that they couldn't wait. Just, why?
Almost all of my leagues are dynasty leagues that draft in May. That's part of the fun.

One thing is for sure guys like Finley, Best and Foster were alot cheaper a few weeks ago.

VT700GUY said:
Philo said:
No fishing. It's a serious, big money league. We don't screw around, it's all very official and on the up-and-up. I've talked about it on these boards before. For example, it's a $4000-entry double-dynasty modified WCOFF league, where we draft out prospects up to 5 years in advance, so we actually carry 265-man rosters. You need that much room for developmental talent. But it's a 32-owner mirror league, so there are two Peyton Mannings, Matt Barkleys, Isaiah Weeks, Kyle Praters, etc. We also are very strict about owner participation, so some guy leaving a bye-week player active would face serious fines and penalties. We also pre-screen and interview prospective owners before they join, and for obvious reasons we do credit checks and bi-annual fiscal reviews to make sure they can handle the league. All the money is held in escrow before the draft for the upcoming 5-year window, which is nice because we locked up this year's prize money at 2005's interest rates, so there's a little extra we use to fund the draft week events (food, beer, gophers, assistants, etc.). We keep it realistic that we don't allow performance-enhancing drugs, either.Each year we're personally handed the rule book via bonded courier for the season 6 years to come, and we have to sign for it in presence of a notary public. It's a nicely done volume, about 600 pages, bound in official Wilson football-leather, with gold gilding on the paper. It's a beautiful piece of art that I'm proud to display on the fireplace mantle. Until that rulebook's season's over, then each of the copies has to be returned to the attorney we keep on retainer year-round who acts as our rules executive commissioner, he destroys all the copies on a webcam broadcast so that all the owners can see it and verify. The Rules Sub-Committee is currently working on the 2019 Rules our secured FTP site. It's almost done, too, the galleys are due to be sent to the printer's by May.

guys with families have a tough time getting away on Labor Day weekend. We like in person, all day golf/draft events, so it's been falling on the Sat of week 3.

We draft midway through the 3rd week of August, or thereabouts, every year. I kind of like it, but I kind of hate it.

If I know who I want on my team in July, and then the preseason comes and he blows up and gains ESPN highlight press, I'm potentially screwed. My later round guy just got bumped up to the 5th. So while it is kind of fun to do a late draft, I also feel as though getting it all done based on your pure predictions for the year and not preseason hype owuld be much nicer.

I HATE early drafts.

But you know what? As you get older, more job responsibilities, family, fiancée and wives you draft on whatever day 12 guys actually have time. If that's before the third preseason game so be it. Plan and strategize accordingly.

Typical guppy.

:shrug:

PHILO
update?Maybe you should hook up with Homer - he's known to scout 'em young too :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread