What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Doesn't the NFL Like Money? (1 Viewer)

Topes

Footballguy
This has always, always bugged me.

First off, I've long held that the NFL should have three multi-game time slots on any given Sunday, with at least two games available to viewers in each time slot in every markey.

Beyond that, I've never fully understood why only one network gets a double-header on most Sundays.

Folks used to say that, well, we live in a two team market, and they can't put a game opposite the market team. But that wasn't and isn't quite correct.

I know that later in the season, we often get two double-headers. But early on, never.

I'm in upstate New York, unfortunately close enough to the City for the TV Gods to think that I'm in the NYC market. So, I get all Jets and Giants games. Ugh. I'm far enough upstate that I get all Buffalo games. Also get a lot of New England games. Now, ten years ago this was a horrible state of affairs, as 3/4 of those teams were pretty bad for a spell. Luckily, now, there's some good football to watch among them, though I'm not a huge fan of any.

Today, what do I get..?

1:00

FOX - Tennessee @ Pittsburgh

CBS - Seattle @ NY Giants

4:00

CBS - NY Jets @ New England

It's my contention that the networks and NFL would make more $$$ if they were to also boradcast Tampa Bay @ San Francisco in my market at 4:00, but they're not. They're showing a Gilligan's Island marathon or some such.

Why leave those slots empty? WHY..?

Just bugs me is all.

Wah......!

I don't know all of the specifics but I do know one thing.

The NFL LOVES money.

My guess is that this is a deal the networks push for b/c they obviously think it works in their favor alternating the double headers every week. Also, the NFL has a very lucrative and exclusive deal with DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket and you have to factor in the deals for the prime time games as well.

On a related note I think the NFL is going to have to make some changes to the current model to ensure that attendance remains near sell outs in most stadiums. Watching at home on TV is simply a much more affordable, and better, experience for many now.

I agree that more options would be great but since I don't have the Ticket anymore I just roll with the Redzone channel. It enough for me, for now.

My guess is that this is a deal the networks push for b/c they obviously think it works in their favor alternating the double headers every week.

Yep, been done for eons. They must have done the math, but I still wonder...

Also, the NFL has a very lucrative and exclusive deal with DirecTV for the Sunday Ticket and you have to factor in the deals for the prime time games as well.

Indeed. But I hardly think adding just the one more game would queet that deal. Maybe.

On a related note I think the NFL is going to have to make some changes to the current model to ensure that attendance remains near sell outs in most stadiums. Watching at home on TV is simply a much more affordable, and better, experience for many now.

Couldn't agree more. Though I attend Syracuse games in person every couple years or so, I have absolutely zero desire to watch an NFL game in person, unless I've got awesome seats for free. Cuz, at home, I have awesome seats for free. At home, there is stuff to do during TV timeouts, other than watch players stand around with their hands on their hips.

I agree that more options would be great but since I don't have the Ticket anymore I just roll with the Redzone channel. It enough for me, for now.

I bailed on the ticket, as well. I can afford it. I just don't feel it's a good enough value anymore. I started in the 90s, when it was a buck and change. Now, it's over $20 per Sunday, which I consider a pretty righteous cornholing.

I'd be completely okay with RedZone Channel, but I have Time Warner Cable. Ugh. I get nothing. Nothing at all, unless I can bring up RedZone Channel on the computer.

Just bitter and venting is all...

I would like to see the east coast games start at 12:00 ET, the central games 3:00 ET, and the late games 6:00 ET. Push Sunday night kickoff to 9:00 ET and you have 4 network games to watch in one day. The NFL can award an extra Sunday game to another network and cash in huge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously you want more. Sounds like a good marketing strategy to get you to pay the NFL more money for access to the NFL Network (the NFL's hope for a much more lucrative NFL). All about monetizing eyeballs.

Just saying, the NFL financial guys are not stupid. They have a plan. They know exactly what they are doing. They are :censored:

Seems like the NFL set it up to maximize profits. The average fan is not going to pay $600 to get all the games, so he is happy picking up whatever games are free. Networks compete and pay big bucks for the rights to those games. The NFL nut is going to want to watch every game he can and is willing to pay a nice premium for it. More money for the NFL. Not sure what you think is wrong with the business model?

this one has an easy answer

greed

each network wants ONE spot a week where they are the ONLY game in town, with EXCLUSIVE advertising rights for that slot

they'd rather be guaranteed that (one slot either 1est or 4est) than to take the chance that with two doubleheaders you'd tune in to both of the other networks games

they can sell advertising spots that are EXCLUSIVE, meaning no chance to the buyer that the consumer can turn on another network to get NFL that particular 3 hour slot

You've got nothing to complain about. A couple of weeks ago as a single team market they put the Panthers on one network at 1pm and another game at 1pm. There were ZERO 4 pm games.

They do like money. The people who want to pay for more games get them. You stopped paying for the ticket and then argue that the NFL will make more money by giving people more games for free, in doing so, devaluing their premium viewing asset.

Premise 1 - The NFL LOVES money and will do anything it can to maximize revenue.

Premise 2 - It has been operating for decades and is generally efficient and successful at accomplishing P1.

Premise 3 - It restricts the number of games shown on Sunday afternoon to 3 on local TV.

Conclusion - They are maximizing revenue by doing P3.

This has always, always bugged me.

First off, I've long held that the NFL should have three multi-game time slots on any given Sunday, with at least two games available to viewers in each time slot in every markey.

Beyond that, I've never fully understood why only one network gets a double-header on most Sundays.

Folks used to say that, well, we live in a two team market, and they can't put a game opposite the market team. But that wasn't and isn't quite correct.

I know that later in the season, we often get two double-headers. But early on, never.

I'm in upstate New York, unfortunately close enough to the City for the TV Gods to think that I'm in the NYC market. So, I get all Jets and Giants games. Ugh. I'm far enough upstate that I get all Buffalo games. Also get a lot of New England games. Now, ten years ago this was a horrible state of affairs, as 3/4 of those teams were pretty bad for a spell. Luckily, now, there's some good football to watch among them, though I'm not a huge fan of any.

Today, what do I get..?

1:00

FOX - Tennessee @ Pittsburgh

CBS - Seattle @ NY Giants

4:00

CBS - NY Jets @ New England

It's my contention that the networks and NFL would make more $$ if they were to also boradcast Tampa Bay @ San Francisco in my market at 4:00, but they're not. They're showing a Gilligan's Island marathon or some such.

Why leave those slots empty? WHY..?

Just bugs me is all.

Wah......!
I had family in Buffalo that occasionally used to get some other team-Cleveland? Indy? Steelers? You're fortunate to get four teams.

In many situations, you'd be stuck only watching one local team or paying for DirecTV.

Re-money, DirecTV is always out paying Dish Network in bids for the NFL. They redid the bidding/alignment and we got Sunday night games, two monday night games and eventually Thursdays belonged to the NFL and (surprise) we suddenly had a slew of NFL games on Thursday.

It's evident in our society that Americans will pay for TV and it's been that way for 10-20 years whether it be cable, satellite, or these roku/netflix/hulu people. I think the NFL offers a taste free and charges for the rest like a free sample. It also allows them to offer it free to folks that are ticket holders without actually going house to house to find out whom is.

We have too many ways to switch channels whether it be online TV or the other choices. Advertising during an NFL game played between two poor teams is not such a good idea anymore. It used to work, but technology destroyed that. In the old days, win or lose, good or bad opponent, the locals were watching the game.

Users who are viewing this thread