What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is the Super Bowl on Sunday? (1 Viewer)

Banger

Footballguy
I don't get it. Does it have to do with the host city? They now have games on Thurs, Sat, Sun and Monday so it's not as if Sunday is some sacred cow at this point...they have two weeks between games and that's not going away. I think it would be so much better to have it on a Saturday and ever single person I've talked to about says the same thing. What am I missing?

I don't get it. Does it have to do with the host city? They now have games on Thurs, Sat, Sun and Monday so it's not as if Sunday is some sacred cow at this point...they have two weeks between games and that's not going away. I think it would be so much better to have it on a Saturday and ever single person I've talked to about says the same thing. What am I missing?
Same reason we have Thanksgiving on a Thursday. Because we do.

Super Bowl Saturday doesn't have the same ring to it.Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Super Bowl Sunday.
These are bad replies. We shouldn't keep doing things the way we do them "because we do." We should do things the best way. And the best way would be on Saturday night.

But Football wasn't played in Europe, now they have games there. They didn't have flex games, now they do. They didn't play on Thursdays and now they'll have 13 games on Thursdays. They used to kick the league off on Sundays and now they do it on Thursday. They never used to play double headers on Monday night, now they do to open the season. They are constantly changing things in the NFL to try and improve the product and increase ratings and everyone I've spoken to would love a Saturday Super Bowl.I just didn't know if there was some reason that I was unaware of that kept it on Sundays.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom and dad said it's because God is so busy during the week and he likes to watch the superbowl and so he said I want the super bowl on Sunday so thats that why its on Sunday.

My mom and dad said it's because God is so busy during the week and he likes to watch the superbowl and so he said I want the super bowl on Sunday so thats that why its on Sunday.
So all those people at Sunday night mass are wasting their time praying.

Yeah but most businesses let you have off Friday after Thanksgiving (and/or Black Friday). Well, at least mine does.

I agree, Saturday would be so much better.

*continues getting nothing done at work with massive hangover and no sleep*

I would love to game to be kicked off at 8:00pm on Saturday night.

When the SuperBowl started the NFL only played on Sundays and that was tradition. I think the first couple of Superbowls kicked off at 1:15 pm. So it has evolved..time to take the next step to Saturday. That being said I highly doubt it will ever happen.

How about we make this easier and just make Monday a national holiday? We work too damned much in this country anyway.

EDIT: Arg, beaten to the punch by a few seconds.

The one thing the NFL gets right (and most other team sports get totally wrong) is starting @ 6:30ish.

Game over by 10 p.m. EST on a school night = as it should be.

Super Bowl Saturday doesn't have the same ring to it.Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Super Bowl Sunday.
These are bad replies. We shouldn't keep doing things the way we do them "because we do." We should do things the best way. And the best way would be on Saturday night.
I think they are great replies.We don't always have to make everything "better". Sometimes "better" is just different.I think holding on to a few traditions is a good thing.

I think they are great replies.We don't always have to make everything "better". Sometimes "better" is just different.I think holding on to a few traditions is a good thing.
They should never have brought the forward pass into football. Tradition dictates that you're just supposed to run up the middle on every play.

Thats why Detroit and dallas should always play on thanksgiving. It doesnt make sense. Its not fair. We just do it. And I'll raise hell if they change it.

They should never have brought the forward pass into football. Tradition dictates that you're just supposed to run up the middle on every play.
Thank you captain hyperbole. :rolleyes:

Sunday night has the most television viewers. all those entertainment awards shows happen on sunday night for the same reason.

Snark aside, there is zero doubt that the NFL has run the numbers and found that Sunday night is more profitable (or close enough not to make the move worth it). Saturday nights are not good prime time TV slots, people have other stuff going on. It might be great for bars and restaurants but its not as good for advertisers, and advertisers are all that matter.

Thank you, straw man for the quip.I clearly didn't say every tradition every should be honored and nothing should be changed.The words "sometimes" and "a few traditions" should have made that abundantly clear.

You know what else was a tradition? Slavery. :thumbdown:

Super Bowl Saturday doesn't have the same ring to it.

Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, and Super Bowl Sunday.
I think they are great replies.We don't always have to make everything "better". Sometimes "better" is just different.

I think holding on to a few traditions is a good thing.
Reading comprehension is clearly down. Second verse, same as the first...

Thank you, straw man for the quip.

I clearly didn't say every tradition every should be honored and nothing should be changed.

The words "sometimes" and "a few traditions" should have made that abundantly clear.
Edit to add: Seriously? I said I liked the tradition of playing football on Sunday and you can extrapolate my point to mean equally that slavery should be upheld? Wow.

I think they are great replies.We don't always have to make everything "better". Sometimes "better" is just different.

I clearly didn't say every tradition every should be honored and nothing should be changed.

The words "sometimes" and "a few traditions" should have made that abundantly clear.
Edit to add: Seriously? I said I liked the tradition of playing football on Sunday and you can extrapolate my point to mean equally that slavery should be upheld? Wow.
So you are saying sometimes slavery is OK? No, it's not. I don't know what kind of parents you have, but they taught you wrong on this. Slavery is never justified!

Professional Football is played on Sunday's. Back in the day, football wasn't played on Saturday, Monday, nor Thursday, it was always Sunday. Also on Saturday Night, a lot of people like to go out and have fun. Sunday Night, more people have to stay home because of work the next morning.

So you are saying sometimes slavery is OK? No, it's not. I don't know what kind of parents you have, but they taught you wrong on this. Slavery is never justified!
:lol: Welcome to the offseason in the Shark Pool.

Snark aside, there is zero doubt that the NFL has run the numbers and found that Sunday night is more profitable (or close enough not to make the move worth it). Saturday nights are not good prime time TV slots, people have other stuff going on. It might be great for bars and restaurants but its not as good for advertisers, and advertisers are all that matter.
The Super Bowl is a cultural event. I highly doubt normal viewing patterns would apply.

The Super Bowl is a cultural event. I highly doubt normal viewing patterns would apply.
Interesting discussion. Is the super bowl powerful enough to keep people indoors on sat night? I think it would be SOME years, but if the game is a snoozer, your "so-so" football fans might decide to head out and party.

Professional Football is played on Sunday's. Back in the day, football wasn't played on Saturday, Monday, nor Thursday, it was always Sunday. Also on Saturday Night, a lot of people like to go out and have fun. Sunday Night, more people have to stay home because of work the next morning.
If the Super Bowl was played on a Saturday night, then Super Bowl parties - at houses, bars, stadia, whatever - is where people would go out to and have fun at.

More a point to Goodell rather than what I care about but, if the NFL owners are really serious about going after a global audience, they almost have to move the game to Saturday. The game now starts at 11:30 PM in the UK and it only get's worse for the rest of the world.

If the Super Bowl was played on a Saturday night, then Super Bowl parties - at houses, bars, stadia, whatever - is where people would go out to and have fun at.
Kinda disagree here. The Superbowl becoming the event it has is about capturing the casual/non football fan. Having it on a Sat makes it much easier for non-fans to simply do something else that may interest them more.The TV numbers can only go down by changing it to Sat.

Interesting discussion. Is the super bowl powerful enough to keep people indoors on sat night? I think it would be SOME years, but if the game is a snoozer, your "so-so" football fans might decide to head out and party.
It is interesting...unfortunately, the discussion basically ends there because the only way to really know would be to try it.

Thanksgiving definitely has to be moved to Friday. How can we make this happen?

'jwb said:
'roadkill1292 said:
'Shlon said:
Kinda disagree here. The Superbowl becoming the event it has is about capturing the casual/non football fan. Having it on a Sat makes it much easier for non-fans to simply do something else that may interest them more.The TV numbers can only go down by changing it to Sat.
Indirectly, you pointed out what a dumb post mine was. What I should have said was that I don't care about the NFL's ratings for the Super Bowl or what other plans people may have. When the Super Bowl is played should be solely for my benefit. And I'd like to have it on a Saturday night.

'Insein said:
'comfortably numb said:
Just make Superbowl Monday a holiday.Problem solved.Everyone is happy
This is the answer. Move president's day up if they want to but Super Bowl should be a national holiday. Lord knows productivity is at a yearly low this day anyway.
Or kick MLK Day from Jan. to Feb.

'jwb said:
'roadkill1292 said:
'Shlon said:
Indirectly, you pointed out what a dumb post mine was. What I should have said was that I don't care about the NFL's ratings for the Super Bowl or what other plans people may have. When the Super Bowl is played should be solely for my benefit. And I'd like to have it on a Saturday night.

On this point, we agree! :)

'Banger said:
I think this has everything to do with the host city. Having the game on Sunday means an extra day of revenues vs. having it on saturday.

'Mello said:
More a point to Goodell rather than what I care about but, if the NFL owners are really serious about going after a global audience, they almost have to move the game to Saturday. The game now starts at 11:30 PM in the UK and it only get's worse for the rest of the world.
Same problem here in Germany. Couldn't watch the game live since i had an important meeting at 8 AM on monday. :thumbdown:

'coolnerd said:
Sunday night has the most television viewers. all those entertainment awards shows happen on sunday night for the same reason.
This seems like the right answer to me.

Its on Sunday so we do not miss the anual tradition of the "Why is it on Sunday" threads

no problem here, watched the game got in bed by 9 and ready for work. Love the NFL on the West Coast. Dont know how ANY of you east coasters do anything with Sunday and Monday Night games...

'coolnerd said:
This seems like the right answer to me.
Yes, I saw an article on it somewhere in the last week.If they have it Saturday night, they will lose some of the casual fans who watch it as they will be out doing other things on their Saturday night.It would also see an increase in the number of people who watch it at bars instead of in homes. More homes = more television sets = more ratings.

Don't underestimate the amount of Monday morning Watercooler talk has on promoting the game.

Even people who could not care less are subjected to it all-day long and subsequently drawn into it.

'Banger said:
I think this has everything to do with the host city. Having the game on Sunday means an extra day of revenues vs. having it on saturday.
Surely it does. I'm guessing tens of millions would be at stake for the host alone.

Another option: start the season two weeks later, so that Superbowl Sunday always takes place on the day before President's Day. It's not like the NFL needs to start at the very beginning of September anyway, when baseball playoff races are in full swing. That would also push Championship weekend into sweeps weeks in Feburary, which the networks have to like, thus being revenue positive for the NFL. Finally, since we now have to listen to an address from the President on Super Bowl Sunday, it seems appropriate to have the game take place on President's weekend.

(Edited to correct grammar)

Users who are viewing this thread